News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Prometheus Club - a gentlemen´s club for mad scientists

Started by Atterton, July 13, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikola Tesla

QuoteIt isn't as though you lose anything by using patched-up reanimated ones.

Patched-up reanimated angels...great idea!  Perfect for another little project of mine... ;D
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Emperor Bob

Oh well this is jolly good fun!  If you would all be willing to accept a mad geologist into your ranks, I think that I might have an interesting experiment or two to try.

Lazaras

Sorry sorry don't mind me. Just working out the bugs in my portals. Really hate that they wear out only after a few dozen uses, and putting anything through larger and heavier than a person greatly shortens thier lifespan. Still, after initial construction they power themselves by ambient energy gathered from the between space subjects travel through, and I haven't found any ill side effects on mechanical or electronic doodads in transit.

Not my design, merely trying to make improvements.
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

Nikola Tesla

Well I have fewer of my teeth each time I use mine, so, you're not the only one with a few bugs to work out...
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

akhier the dragon hearted

Portals can be quite hard. I myself am trying to manipulate a Möbius strip type structure in the 4th dimension to create a permanent portal between 2 specific points. the secret is that on a Möbius strip from one point the farthest point away is the opposite side of the point so a hole will make a point that is on the strip the farthest and  the closest. Shift this into the 4th dimension and you can locate the 2 points in different areas allowing an easy little tunnel through space.
You laugh at my name but let me tell you, after a duel with a dragon when your missing a heart and there is a dead dragon right next to you, you don't say no to a last minute transplant.

Atterton

It would appear a breakthrough has been made in suspended animation. Apparently causing a lack of oxygen in an organism before cooling them down helps them avoid side-effects. The article also mentions a man who was cooled down for 23 days and surviving, I had no idea that had been done.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/11/suspended_animation_in_lab/
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Tardis_42

I'm working on a Mind reading machine which can see what you are thinking by creating a "Brain Dictionary" with a EMRI and useing it to pick up those thoughts in others Brain.

If you ar comfused then I don't blame you.
Tardis_42

------------------------------
funnyphotosandthings.wordpress.com

Commander Xillian

I have createda catapult out of paint cans, chain-link fences, and rope, which can, if opperated incorrectly, catch a knot in it and begin to fly around of it's own accord, fully self-perpetual powered, with the kinetic power upon even a scrap, to launch a full-grown man up to seven miles away, killing him on contact with the catapult gone haywire.

When functioning correctly, it launches watermellons fifty feet.

Mqy I join?

Nikola Tesla

*steps out of clanking, smoking machine, covered in dust and soot*

Blast!  Master timepiece out of calibration and busted a gasket, and me all out of butchers' twine and duct tape!  Dreadfully sorry about that, gents.  Mike ran off with the last of my bubble gum.  I won't miss it, since I was all out of the Tuna Fish and Pad Thai flavors and was having to make do with Crunchy Dill Pickle.  But it did leave me with absolutely no repair materials, and I keep skipping about, lately months in a jump.  Inconvenient to say the least.

Anyone have something sticky I could borrow, and maybe a crowbar, for when I next see Mike?  Since, after all, there's that tradition concerning when you're out of bubble gum...

Stormcat

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on August 25, 2011, 03:02:52 AM
Anyone have something sticky I could borrow, and maybe a crowbar, for when I next see Mike?  Since, after all, there's that tradition concerning when you're out of bubble gum...

I have a hectaliter of gum tree sap. Will this be of any use to you?

My, so many mechanics around, is this really any place for a Mad botanist? Oh well, I suppose we can discuss which plants can yield the best lubricants, the best pesticides for dealing with a man-eating rosebush and how to turn an ordinary tree into a rampaging monster.

Fennius

As a physicist in training and osmeone slightly eccentric I will say mad science does appeal to be a litt. :D

Atterton

The paleontologist Jack Horner has announced he plans to turn a chicken into a dinosaur. This seems like a wonderful bit of mad science. He wants to activate the dormant genes in chickens, for things like claws and teeth. Eventually this should lead to something looking a bit like a dinosaur.

http://www.livescience.com/17642-chickenosaurus-jack-horner-create-dinosaur.html

Stormcat

Quote from: Atterton on January 21, 2012, 05:43:51 PM
The paleontologist Jack Horner has announced he plans to turn a chicken into a dinosaur. This seems like a wonderful bit of mad science. He wants to activate the dormant genes in chickens, for things like claws and teeth. Eventually this should lead to something looking a bit like a dinosaur.

http://www.livescience.com/17642-chickenosaurus-jack-horner-create-dinosaur.html

Certainly beats my plan of stapling feathers to an iguana.

Lazaras

While it will potentially yield a nice little rude gesture to Ma Nature a Dinosaur it won't be. With that said I eagerly await the results. Mostly because I've always been more a machinist than a geneticist and I want to know how this one fails, see what the next revision does to cover/fix that failure, and what happens Next.

Just so long as the poor sods don't accidentally make a cockatrice.
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

MarcusJuliusCroft

I have an idea for any one mad enough to try it, try to hold a charge of electricity within a vessel of water.  This should progress into the merging of a triple Tesla coil device suspended within a vortex of water... have I gone to far for you Mad Scientists?
I am what I am because I am, an Entrepreneur, Villain, Student and Mastermind

Dorian Von Glass

ambie,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! The link you provided for the inter net archive of old instructional videos is the most amazing thing ive seen on the net in a long time!!!!! Thank you!!!

Dorian

Atterton

Atterton

There's an article in New Scientist about how some surgeons believe they might be able to do the first human head transplants within two years. That seems quite ambitious, considering how little animal experiments have been done with it.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530103.700-first-human-head-transplant-could-happen-in-two-years.html

Atterton

Another expedition is underway to drill through to the center of the Earth. Or at least through the chruncy covering to the wam, gooey center.

http://www.nature.com/news/quest-to-drill-into-earth-s-mantle-restarts-1.18921

Keith_Beef

Quote from: Atterton on January 21, 2012, 05:43:51 PM

When hens have dinosaur teeth, and when pigs are genetically modified so that they have wings, the only thing (not) left when we need analogies about rarity will be rocking-horse poop.
--
Keith

rovingjack

I've been melting down all sorts of stuff for making parts from. Pewter, glass, milk jugs, ect. I shoot videos of the experiments and post them online.

considering me recent history with medicines I may just start making my own silver water suspensions to treat infections, and maybe an atomizer for nasal, eustation and respitory applications.

and might work on a mechanical walker soon too.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Atterton

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Atterton on May 05, 2016, 10:43:16 PM
This is another experiment that might well have more ambitions than ethics. An attempt to re-animate dead people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/03/dead-could-be-brought-back-to-life-in-groundbreaking-project/

The only thing that I find interesting is if the stem cells can use the neural network architecture of the dead tissues as a scaffolding to regenerate the circuit geometry.  If that is the case, you could bring back memories that literally died with the neurons. Now that would be interesting to patients with Alzheimer's and Dementia. It could also be useful for creating artificial "brain parts" or brain circuits that could be used to couple artificial neural networks to living tissue (brain enhancements).

The biggest problem now is that we still don't know how to "speak brain," the knowledge (as far as I knew in the mid -2000s) is still rudimentary. What we can do is sample electrical signals from large macroscopic sections of the brain, and study patterns to try to reproduce movement of artificial limbs and such. The most advanced claim I knew was something I heard about inducing thought patterns on people, from one person, to another, remotely, but I can't fond that article - does any one know what I'm talking about?

Atterton

There's been experiments with radio telepathy in rats, which seemed to get decent results.

Miranda.T