News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Food! Food! Food! The Good, Bad, Ugly, and Tasty steampunk treats and drinks

Started by Miimno, August 16, 2008, 07:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nation

Victorian Cold/Cough Remedy.

-5 tablespoons of premium Rum (at least 35% alcohol by volume.)
-Crushed mint leaves (you can substitute mint oil/extract or tea tree oil)
-5 Tablespoons honey

Once you have all the ingredients in a large cup or bowl, pour about 1/4 of a cup of boiling water over it. Breathe the vapors in quickly and deeply before the mixture cools. This will help stuffy noses, irritated throats and coughs. You can pour more boiling water over it once it cools or drink it if you used mint leaves/mint oil.

WARNING: If you do use Tea Tree Oil, DO NOT DRINK THIS AFTERWARDS. TTO is poisonous to humans. 

The Duchess of Frugonia

If one has ginger beer, lashings thereof, then can nettle beer and cordials be far behind?  Fruit vinegars anyone?  They're delicious and very refreshing.

Sorbets, sweet and savoury.

Mr Heston Blumenthal is most complimentary about Victorian food and takes much of his inspiration thither, I believe.  The Aetheric Theatre has just portrayed a Fishy Feast of his, most amusing.

Blancmange to counterpoint Messrs Bompas and Parr's delights.

All the above are delicious and a High Days and Holidays part of our diet.
Experimental Homeopath and Inhumationist [Retired]

hexidecima

r_is_for_rachel

CapnHarlock

Forking Amazing Sausage... A take on Cajun Boudin

Mea culpa, I don't have a hand-powered meat grinder, I used a food processor.. oh well....

1)  Rub a bone-in pork shoulder with salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and onion, and paprika. 3/4 cover with water and  Braise in water with a a couple whole onions,a big bay leaf,  garlic, half a cinnamon-stick, 1 star-anise 'star' and any fresh herbs you have (parsley, thyme, etc) a habanero pepper doesn't hurt.

2) Simmer it until it falls apart  (all night in a slow-cooker on 'low' works)  - Remove from broth when done and let coo, then de-bone and cut up and let cool.

3) use food-processor (or a knife) to fine-mince 3 yellow onions, 4 celery stalks, 3 green bell peppers, 4 garlic cloves, big bunch of parsley,  a bit of cilantro - sautee all the veggies until soft, add paprika a,d cayenn pepper to taste and let it reduce almost dry. Let it cool.

4) Cook about 2 cups of white rice and let it cool.

5) Use food processor to mince the meat and mix cooled meat, rice and veg in a big bowl . Use a spatula to fold, "squishing' with your hands will give it a nasty texture

6) Adjust salt and heat (It's all cooked - you won't die if you taste) - I like some vinegar-based hotsauce

7) If you have hog casings and equipment, stuff natural casings, otherwise wrap 'sausage-like' in plastic wrap and refrigerate a day or 2

8) pierce the wrapping a bit and poach (LOW) until hot in water or chicken broth until hot. Eat. Enjoy.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Dr. Madd

A humble request to the moderators.. I started a thread entitled "Dinner with Dr. Madd"  I will leave it up to you whether my thread should be merged here or left on its own.
What do we want? Decapitations!

CapnHarlock

Non-Traditional Budget Bolognese Sauce

Apologies in advance to any Italian or British readers - this is neither Mama's Bolognese nor Mum's spag-bol, but worth a try, anyway.

As Cook seems always to be on holiday when needed, a food-processor helps a lot in preparation.

1) Mince 3 carrots, 3 stalks celery, 2 medium-large yellow onions, about 6 cloves garlic.
2) Mince approx 1/2 pound lean-ish pork (or beef or chicken or goat or your veggie-alternative of choice - I suspect eggplant/aubergine or zucchini/courgette would be marvelous - use whatever is on "Manager's Special" that day)
3) Skin and break up 2-3 links of hot Italian sausage (or veggie alternative)  and brown in a bit of olive oil, so it doesn't burn, Add rest of meat (or whatever)  and brown. Remove to a plate but retain grease in pan.  (I like a large coverable saucier or Dutch oven for this - DO NOT use cast iron unless you are supremely-convinced that it it seasoned to the point that tomato products will not react badly)
4) Sweat the onions a bit, then add garlic, celery and carrots - sweat until relatively-soft. Some dried oregano, thyme and basil is good to add at this point.
5) scrape the veggies to edge of pan, add a bt more olive oil, and 'toast' a couple small cans of tomato paste. Just dry it a bit and bring out the flavors. Don't burn it, but don't skip this step, either.
6) Mix with veggies, return meat to pot, and stir thouroughly
7) Add about a cup of stock/broth of choice (chicken or veggie) and mix - it should be a bit wetter than ideal, but not soupy. Maybe a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
8) lower heat and simmer about 30-40 minutes.
9) reduce if needed, correct salt and seasonings, add chopped fresh basil and fresh parsley
9) If it absolutely has to be more pink for your tastes, add cream (I never do, blasted stuff always curdles on me w/tomatoes) or shredded parmegiane cheese.

It's cheap, and even tastes good as a sandwich-spread :)
At Your Service

Dr. Madd

This weekend, I plan on brining some turkey drums, rubbing them with my own spice blend and smoking them over hickory for a few hous.

Dr. Madd

If you will cook about half a cup of water, tablespoons of rootbeer or birch beer extract with some sugar and make a syrup of it, mix it with tonic water and you can make your own rootbeer. If It weren't for the fact that the device I've designed resembles a still, I've got a schematic for a stove top carbonator.

Cubinoid

I just cooked octopus tentacles with boiled new potatoes and fresh red pepper, hot and sprinkled with paprika.
My wifes' idea to buy the octopus, the recipe is an ancient tradition...and...
Yum!
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

RoseOak

I just came home for work and made a andwich. As I was auto pilot it ended up being chocolate spread, strawberries and cream  :)

codygearworks

Quote from: Cubinoid on March 13, 2011, 01:41:06 AM
I just cooked octopus tentacles with boiled new potatoes and fresh red pepper, hot and sprinkled with paprika.
My wifes' idea to buy the octopus, the recipe is an ancient tradition...and...
Yum!

That sounds delicious Cubinoid!
Kindly patronize my short moving picture CLICK HERE

Professor Oilcan

Quote from: RoseOak on March 14, 2011, 07:52:01 PM
I just came home for work and made a andwich. As I was auto pilot it ended up being chocolate spread, strawberries and cream  :)

nothing wrong with that, good combination
Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.

R. Phineas Bennett

What kind of bread?

RoseOak

Quote from: Professor Oilcan on March 18, 2011, 04:29:52 AM

nothing wrong with that, good combination

It was yummy but I don't remember making it, just it turning up in my hand. I usually go for cheese and onion when stressed

Quote from: R. Phineas Bennett on March 18, 2011, 04:39:42 AM

What kind of bread?

Plain white.

Dr. Madd

Marinade for ribs

celery salt
paprika
allspice
lapsang suchong tea
bacon fat
five spice powder
brown sugar

Let it set for a few hours on your ribs in a BBQ
grill..wrap with aluminum

The sauce

paprika
celery salt
kosher salt
black pepper
brown sugar
powdered latte chai instant coffee
london pub steak sauce
crosse and blackwell Major grey chutney
Colman's dry mustard
balsamic vinegar
ketchup
parsley

CapnHarlock

QuoteI usually go for cheese and onion when stressed

That is quite interesting, Miss RoseOak. I formerly had a housemate from Portsmouth and her "comfort-food" was  cold cheddar and raw onion on *shudder* mushy white bread. I thought it was a personal quirk of hers. It is a combination that did not seem to have made it "across the pond".
At Your Service

RoseOak

Quote from: CapnHarlock on March 21, 2011, 12:48:51 AM

That is quite interesting, Miss RoseOak. I formerly had a housemate from Portsmouth and her "comfort-food" was  cold cheddar and raw onion on *shudder* mushy white bread. I thought it was a personal quirk of hers. It is a combination that did not seem to have made it "across the pond".

Well I'm not to sure about mushy bread but  a nice crusty white bread, cheese and onion is a legendary mixture. The cheese a is quite a flat taste and the sharp onion cuts across it beautifully.
It as to be a large white or red  onion and a really strong chedder Failing that, a nice blue or lincolnshire poacher. Just think of a ploughmans without the meat

Professor Oilcan

Quote from: RoseOak on March 22, 2011, 11:03:02 AM
Quote from: CapnHarlock on March 21, 2011, 12:48:51 AM

That is quite interesting, Miss RoseOak. I formerly had a housemate from Portsmouth and her "comfort-food" was  cold cheddar and raw onion on *shudder* mushy white bread. I thought it was a personal quirk of hers. It is a combination that did not seem to have made it "across the pond".

Well I'm not to sure about mushy bread but  a nice crusty white bread, cheese and onion is a legendary mixture. The cheese a is quite a flat taste and the sharp onion cuts across it beautifully.
It as to be a large white or red  onion and a really strong chedder Failing that, a nice blue or lincolnshire poacher. Just think of a ploughmans without the meat

I must go and make a sandwich now!
Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.

CapnHarlock

QuoteIt as to be a large white or red  onion and a really strong chedder Failing that, a nice blue or lincolnshire poacher.

It does sound much better than my housemate's version :)

I will admit that my very favorite pizza combination is a layer of caramelized onion, a very thin layer of sliced plum tomato , and a nice, old Stilton (no other sauce/cheese,only those on the crust )

Now, I'm hungry :)
At Your Service

Birdnest

After viewing numerous shows regarding the creation of cupcakes ... and drooling all over the floor ...

I made chocolate cupcakes (a full tablespoon of the delicious confection in each cupcake) frosted with blood orange buttercream.
... no cheating, no boxes of chemical laden drek.  Real homemade morsels of goodness.

They were quickly dispatched!
Onward ho!

Angus A Fitziron

We seem to be suffering from a glut of carrots...
I bought some, then realised I had some growing in a container that I needed to clear and then her ladyship came home with a sackful from school! (part of the healthy snacks for schoolkids programme. What the nippers don't eat, gets thrown in the bin and my wife can't abide waste..)

So, her ladyship was dispatched to the kitchen to make carrot and coriander soup and today my contribution is 'Approximate Carrot and Chorizo' soup:

Finely chop two sticks of celery, about 5 small to medium carrots a medium red onion, half a white onion (or until it looks right) about a flat tablespoon of chopped garlic (I used all I had left, one large clove and two small ones - can you see where the 'approximate' comes in now?) and chop up a chilli (more or less - your choice). Chop up 100 gms of chorizo sausage ~ I had about 120 gms so I used all of it). Heat some good olive oil - I used Greek extra virgin - and fry off gently until vegetables are soft and sausage is cooked (10 minutes?). Add some chicken stock. I make my own from left over chicken carcass and then freeze them in ice cube tray - I used about 6 or 7 cubes. <edit> add about 1 tsp of cumin seed - lightly toasted first in a dry frying pan if you can be bothered </edit> Simmer gently for another 10 minutes.

Now it is sitting making nice flavours. Shortly I have to go shopping and I will buy some red lentils, I thought I had some in the cupboard - but no. Then, when we are ready for the soup (probably tomorrow) I will add about a litre of water / stock depending on how strong the stock is and about 200 gms of the lentils and cook for 25 ~ 30 mins. Season to taste, blend and serve with some home made bread.

Carrot glut solved...
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

CapnHarlock

Mr. FitzIron:

I have recemtly (re-)discovered a great use for carrots. Any time you wish to make a sauce/gravy that is 'healthier' (i.e. less fat-and-flour as thickening agent)  please try adding extra carrots (and, perhaps, celery  and onion) to any cooking liquid. When done, puree the bejeebers out of the veggies and add back into the cooking liquid - instant thickened gravy without added fat and carbs. (also no danger of burning  the roux, and no  need to spend a half hour kneading the bleedin' beurre manie`)

I do hope this will be of assistance, sir.
At Your Service

Angus A Fitziron

Thanks Cap'n - I shall give it a go in the never ending battle to reduce my girth! The trinity of carrot, celery and onion that is mirepoix has so many uses and I recognise it as a base for soups, sauces and stews but never really thought of it as a thickening agent! It now has my full attention.

Your health sir!
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

Archibald_Broce

Avanti, Avanti!