News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

"The Magnificence of the Tsars" exhibition of costumes & uniforms

Started by SteamBlast Mary, August 27, 2008, 05:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamBlast Mary

"You can always rely on the Victoria & Albert Museum for an extravagant winter show. This December, it's a look at Imperial Russia when costumes and uniforms worn by Tsars and court officials arrive in South Kensington. On loan from the Moscow Kremlin Museums - which are simultaneously showing a collection of the V&A's 18th-century British clothing - the collection spans almost 200 years of fashion history. There are some spectacularly detailed pieces, such as a dress costume worn by Nicholas II to the Russian Ball of 1903. A great opportunity to see some of the most exquisite textiles in the world from embellished silks to complex embroideries.

· The Magnificence of the Tsars runs from 10 December to 2 March 2009 (020 7942 2000; www.vam.ac.uk)"

http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/tsars/

What a smashing opportunity to find some inspiration for your outfits first hand! I'll be there with my sketchbook and pen, camera, and look of awe in my eyes.
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

SteamBlast Mary

Dr von Zarkov

Anyone interested in the costumes of this period should be interested in "The Russian Ark", a 90-minute film shot at the Winter Palace - Hermitage in continuity, without breaks. 300 years of Russian history are depicted. See these links:

Russian Ark Official Web Site
Wikipedia Entry
"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

SteamBlast Mary