News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

For the purpose of identifying (potential) steampunks when observed.

Started by Pheobsky, August 31, 2008, 11:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheobsky

Ok Basicly the idea is if you've spotted a steampunk (& neglected to make contact)- this thread is here to see if you may find out who it was!

Alternately it may be that you've seen someone who you were unsure of & wish to see if they were steampunk at all.

Please note

This thread is not an excuse not to simply ask the person in question when you have the chance; rather to facilitate identification where this has not been possible!

--------------------------------------------------------------

A sighting to start off the thread;

This morning I was in Birmingham & espied a lady who was most definitely of a steamy disposition, however being at the opposite end of the street & deep in conversation I was not at liberty to say hullo.
Anyways the area was over the far side of the bullring from digbeth & a very rough description of the lady is as follows:
blond hair,
hat with welding goggles- split eyepeices, but single frame
the rest of the attire was obscured by people in the way, but from a glimpse I'd guess it was mildly edwardianesque(?)

-if this happens to be you, I should be most delighted if you would announce your presence on the BG forum
Them/they

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: Pheobsky on August 31, 2008, 11:15:01 PM
This morning I was in Birmingham & espied a lady who was most definitely of a steamy disposition, however being at the opposite end of the street & deep in conversation I was not at liberty to say hullo.
Anyways the area was over the far side of the bullring from digbeth & a very rough description of the lady is as follows:
blond hair,
the rest of the attire was obscured by people in the way, but from a glimpse I'd guess it was mildly edwardianesque(?)

-if this happens to be you, I should be most delighted if you would announce your presence on the BG forum

I love the way the goggles are described in detail but the outfit is somewhat hazy! (but yes, one can see why.)

If you mean Sunday morning of the 31st, that might have been me between stations on my way to Papplewick. I haven't had the second film of that day developed yet so don't have a pic of me in the outfit I would've been in yet.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

neon_suntan

I saw someone with a spiffing Top hat similar Steamy outfit on the streets of York .

But I was in non SP gear and with a crew of amiable though very drunken Geordies.

I stared at him for a while as he detached his bicycle and gave me a warranted suspicious look.

If only I had a code word I could have used...

Perhaps if I'd said "Vernian Process!" and winked at him...

...then again perhaps not! ::)

Pheobsky

Quote from: SteamBlast_Mary on September 06, 2008, 06:11:56 PM
blond hair,

I love the way the goggles are described in detail but the outfit is somewhat hazy! (but yes, one can see why.)

If you mean Sunday morning of the 31st, that might have been me between stations on my way to Papplewick. I haven't had the second film of that day developed yet so don't have a pic of me in the outfit I would've been in yet.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/jennycorsetgal/August2008002.jpg
-The photo matches my memory, the time is about right.... by jove- I think that I have spotted my first steampunk!
Hurrah!
Them/they

SteamBlast Mary

If you'd have been at Snow Hill/Moor Street station at the right time, you'd have spotted the GNER 4-2-0 puffing away as part of her Sunday journey on the Shakespear line too! I stopped to take pictures. Apparently, some of the passengers asked if I was part of the event.

You were in the Midlands on the 31st? Why didn't you join us for the afternoon at Papplewick??

Gazongola

I heard that engine. Fantastic. And yes, you should have come to Papplewick!

Pheobsky

Aye I should have, but I had to head back to London for that afternoon as a close friend was leaving the country & I wanted to see her off. Still I'm starting at Birmingham uni end of next week, so I shall defiinitely be around for the next event! ;D
Them/they

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: Pheobsky on September 09, 2008, 03:09:19 PM
Still I'm starting at Birmingham uni end of next week, so I shall defiinitely be around for the next event! ;D

Yay! Another West Midlander.

There's a significant portion of us in and around Brum. Coincidence? The draw of our industrial heritage? (Unlikely!). The city doing things to your head, making you more likely to look to "alternate" cultures?

There's talk of a meet at the Severn Valley Railway in September, but no exact date set in stone yet.

Gazongola

Aye I should have, but I had to head back to London for that afternoon as a close friend was leaving the country & I wanted to see her off. Still I'm starting at Birmingham uni end of next week, so I shall defiinitely be around for the next event! ;D

Yay! I am starting Wolverhampton Uni, which isn't far away at all. We must all meet for tea and cake.

Pheobsky

Quote from: Gazongola on September 09, 2008, 07:16:54 PM

Yay! I am starting Wolverhampton Uni, which isn't far away at all. We must all meet for tea and cake.

Most definitely so!
Them/they

Lady Lavinea Dreadful

this is a rather spiffy list. too bad i happen to be only one of about 5 other southwestern missouri members on this forum.

Matt_Splicer

Anyone else njoticed when you say the west midlands it always comes out as THE west midlands like we have to enforce it's importance in the universe?

or is it just me?
projects started:18, ray guns: 12,  costumes: 3
other: 3

completed: tbc

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: Pheobsky on September 08, 2008, 09:06:31 AM
Quote from: SteamBlast_Mary on September 06, 2008, 06:11:56 PM
blond hair,

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/jennycorsetgal/August2008002.jpg
-The photo matches my memory, the time is about right.... by jove- I think that I have spotted my first steampunk!
Hurrah!

This means that you can identify me but I would not know you. This is quite unacceptable. I demand tea and cake/absinthe etc at the earliest opportunity to rectify this!

Pheobsky

Oh Cake & tea on saturday if anyone feels like it- I was thinking I might go up to Brum Stitch & bitch:
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/brumstitchnbitch/

But if anyone wants to meet up elsewhere I'm happy to do so!

Unfortunately I don't have any recent pics of me (that I like), but I'm usualy wearing a blackish crombie, a flatcap (backwards -so it looks more like a beret) fingerless gloves & blue or red scarf...
I also have roundish wire glasses & brown/black rather messy hair
If anyone spots me say hullo!

---------------

I saw someone (female) in London looking steampunkish: in a tophat, & black shawl(?) on a station on the circle line on saturday- I would have asked, but I only saw them from the train as it was pulling away from the station..was this anyone here?
Them/they

Michael Bend Esq.

I saw an interesting sight at the carboot on sunday. A young gentleman in blue jeans, a white t-shirt and a black morning coat. With pink tips in his hair. (It was the Magna Road Carboot)

Anyone from here?
If you're not scared or angry at the thought of a human brain being controlled remotely, then it could be this prototype of mine is finally starting to work.
  - John Alejandro King

Dr. Oliver Cross

I had a most satisfying experience on Friday past.  As my girlfriend and I approached the local light rail trolley, I noticed on the train crossing before us a young lass dressed in a top hat, mechanic's overalls, a gear-painted cravat, and a pin on her hat I immediately, and accurately, pinned as a Heterodyne original.  With this visual information at hand, I decided on a whim to board the aforementioned trolley, (which, I hasten to add, was travelling in exactly the wrong direction for our purposes), and address the young lass thusly adorned.

When my lady reminded me that she needed to return to her domicile, there to work upon school tasks, we agreed, she and I, to part ways for the evening, such that I might get to know the lass we'd met, who answers to the name of Molly.  She proceeded to invite me to a concert that evening featuring a friend of hers, one Annalee Foster by name, a world-class Celtic harpist, late of the Irish National Harp Orchestra.

As it turned out, the event was entirely of a steamy nature, as all there, save myself, (and thus only because my tophat had melted the day before!), were thusly dressed, including the harper herself.  All told, the people I met this past Friday are apt to become friends for life.
If I have to choose between loving you or breathing, I will use my last breath to say "I love you."  --  Estevan Shu

SteamBlast Mary

Fantastic! I've had some of the best nights of my life (and met some of my most valued friends) by following the directions "down that street then follow the weirdos".

SteamBlast Mary

Mr Griffiths, M. Splicer and myself are planning to be in Birmingham for some liquid refreshment of some description on Monday (19th Jan- yeah, the usual short notice.) Will anyone else be able to attend?

Pheobsky

I believe I shall- what time then (short notice is generaly better for me anyway ;D )
Them/they

SteamBlast Mary

I'll put a thread in Geographical. Probably about 7ish? Gazongla recommended a place by the Bull Ring... trying to remember it's name...

Gazongola

Pnakotus

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."

Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt

I would be happy to see one other....sadly I believe i am alone here in Mass. (except one member who has contacted me but wishes to remain unseen)

Matt_Splicer

don't be sad Taggert, you'll just have to start converting people.

BRAINWASH THEM!!!!!!
projects started:18, ray guns: 12,  costumes: 3
other: 3

completed: tbc