News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Single Steampunks?

Started by BaronPablo, September 08, 2008, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Corsair

Quote from: S.Sprocket on April 23, 2010, 10:06:55 PM
I did put on the closed thread please do not create a like minded thread.

As to utini's comment "was it somehow hurting something" I would point to the numerous posts Proteus have made regarding the fragile nature of the bandwidth of this forum.  If given the choice to spend bandwith on steampunk conversation versus off topic threads, we'll choose steampunk every time.

to Mr. TribalWren who quoted the mission statement I'd like to point out another passage in the mission statement:

"...  Will attempt to keep the interests of the majority of forum members foremost, understanding that the Forum cannot be everything to everyone, and that changes that please a particular minority, may alienate the previously content majority."

This thread was not closed willy nilly.  This was the most talked about and debated thread on the moderator section and this was not done idly.

Unfortunately, we are not privy to the moderator section (unless I missed something...), so it seemed quite abrupt to those of us who posted on that thread daily. 
Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

BaronPablo

Glad to see that a thread I created caused so much chaos!  ;D

However, as the creator, I also support its closing for the greater good of the forum. I also did not intend it to be an idle chat thread.
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

Vagabond GentleMan

There's always 'The Lonely Gear'.  I don't reckon the Forum has actually lost anything...really...

I was on the Singles Thread for a long time.  Lots of it was pretty great, ya know?

But I just went back and read briefly through pages and pages and pages...and it was for the most part excessively inane >ducks!  Don't hit me!<

We can blame moderators all day long, but the thread was ended because of US, the posters.  WE let it degrade into wasted bandwidth space...

>Deepest apologies to those of us who truly DID work to give the thread Value...you know who you are...<
Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.

GideonFaile

Since most of my posts on that particular thread were, at first, inane and off-topic and, recently, just me complaining I can say that I do not begrudge the Moderators closing it down. It was far past time.

The Lonely Gear is there for advice and discussion, as well as some general chatting (as it is a Single's Bar).
The "Gah!" thread is there for my myriad complaints.

It was a fine run, lads and ladies, but it isn't the end of the world.
Perhaps we need a fine Outside Site group, if we really wish to continue the Singles of Brass Goggles vein? That way, we could all remain actively in-touch without loading down the server.
"Won't you come back again? I miss the sound of footsteps as we danced amidst the stars and the light of a dawn approaching too quickly reflected in our eyes."

Silent Theatre

Ive been dumped by a forum thread, that I wasnt even going out with.Life is harsh.

lolliTragic

I can understand needing to watch the cost of hosting, and bandwidth usage does tend to be the drain when you host a website which needs more than typical unlimited plans provide. Possibly, now that you're back in contact with the owner of the domain and there for able to have the name servers changed with the registrar making it possible to change hosts, you could consider moving to a move affordable option, if not simply to bring down the horrifically high price in hosting you currently pay to maintain this community and blog.
... sanity is relative, insanity is quantum mechanics ...

Seaton Begg

Whilst I understand the rationale for closing non-steampunk threads to save bandwidth, I am rather at a loss as to why that particular thread was singled out (pun somewhat intended). The 'what did you do in the last 5 minutes', 'what are you listening to' and 'dr who' threads should all closed based upon that criteria.
We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.

S.Sprocket

agreed, and they will probably be closed to stay consistent, they are still being discussed in moderator channels.
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

Utini420

Honestly, they damn well should be closed.  Because we don't want to waste bandwidth, and must remain consistent.  I wouldn't get too attached to that Lonely Gear, either -- if one thread can be deemed pointless and locked, why not another about the same topic?

The ONLY thing I've heard that holds even the slightest water is the bandwidth costs.  As such, if fully expect the deletion of all other silly pointless threads.

Was this really that big a deal?  Was I that attached to the thread?  No.  But the arbitrary termination of a discussion thread loved by some and ignored by others really puts a dirty taste in my mouth and puts me in mind to reevaluate my entire interaction with this forum.  A really can't stand the arbitrary use of authority, and how's having fun if you're worried over every thread's perceived relevance?

having seen the last post made as I was typing this, I'm just bewildered.  WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT CONSISTENCY?  How did that become the final criteria? 

This is just lame.
If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com

Utini420

I wonder what other pointless, rambling, off-topic, band-width wasting threads we could turn up?  Perhaps we should all comb the forum, culling the herd -- it could be a real wheat-from-the-chaff kind of thing, that sounds like fun!
If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: Utini420 on April 25, 2010, 08:15:57 PM
I wonder what other pointless, rambling, off-topic, band-width wasting threads we could turn up?  Perhaps we should all comb the forum, culling the herd -- it could be a real wheat-from-the-chaff kind of thing, that sounds like fun!

That's quite enough, thank you.

I'm locking this for now, as I don't see there's much more to get from this thread.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I'm now in the process of pruning everything I can't immediately reconcile as relationship advice from this thread. This, inevitably, will end up in a few patchy areas where things don't quite seem to gel, and for that I appologise. I expect the pruning to be done fairly soon.