News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Single Steampunks?

Started by BaronPablo, September 08, 2008, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kutkh

I had issues with being a shy guy, and blaming the rest of the world for it. Which I think is where the "nice guy" mindset comes from. Then life gave me a good hard kicking (fell in love) and I was the better for it.
"caelum est nostri"

Pheobsky

I find it odd the 'shy guy' thing being a problem,as alot of girls I know tend to go for that!  :P
As for nice guy/ not so nice guy -I'd say that there is something to having a bit of an edge, but this doesn't necessarily make you forgo being a gentleman... Also I think that despite what has been said before there is a bit of an attraction to people who are not so 'nice' & are definitely not so good for you -Think Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca!

Also people come & go, the world is pretty transient -to search for a relationship that will last for a thousand years, runs the risk of never finding that someone who you would end up having that sort of relationship with! Rather search for love & don't be afraid to let people move on as they do! I often end up picking up the peices after hearts break, but I think its still far worse when people become so insular that they simply become bitter -as bitterness is far worse than tears that are shed & moved on from -as time heals hearts, but fosters bitterness.
Them/they

Dr. Munro

I think maybe the problem with a relationship whilst at uni is the strain it can place upon a person when really all they want to do is enjoy the time they have at universisty.  I had a friend in my first year that actually even dropped out because she couldn't cope with it.  It all just seemed that things would have been whole worlds of easier if she hadn't have had that kind of tie on her.

kutkh

Agreed. University should be a time for exploring and experimenting. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to go crazy; but I think you're right in suggesting that committing too early can mean you lack the experience to make a serious relationship work in the long-term.
"caelum est nostri"

Dr. Munro

It's funny you should should say that.  When I was at school the girls and I had a little notebook we used to pass around and make notes in.  One of the things that was very common was to give boys scores out of ten, tally them up, and make a little table of the favourite boys in the class.

KatarinaNavane

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 13, 2008, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: Lady Penelope on November 12, 2008, 06:48:09 PM
I like grapes, especially the seedless ones.  You can pop 'em into the freezer in summertime, and they turn into Nature's Little Mini-Popsicles.   :D
Holy fhtagn!
What Honeythorn said too ;D
Quote from: Honeythorn on November 12, 2008, 10:44:57 PM
I must try this! I shall discover the delights of frozen grapes!

Still single here (although... you could have probably guessed :P) but I want to say something, and I mean no offence and it is a rhetorical question so I don't need an answer, getting to the point; Why are girls so confusing!? Why is there never a black and white answer? Thier answers (if they were a colour) would allways be some mad colour like mauve, thier indecisiveness will be the death of me.

Don't look at me, I don't understand girls either.  'Tis why I prefer boys (for friends as well as other things). 

Haizea

QuoteWhy are girls so confusing!? Why is there never a black and white answer? Thier answers (if they were a colour) would allways be some mad colour like mauve, thier indecisiveness will be the death of me.

For many, many reasons. So many, in fact, that even we're not sure what they are. We lost count somewhere along the way.
Sealed with the kiss of swine,
The heavy fort falls to the flame,
Bone-rattled melodies and worm-laden rains.

SteamDream

Quote from: Dr. Munro on November 13, 2008, 02:48:12 PM
It's funny you should should say that.  When I was at school the girls and I had a little notebook we used to pass around and make notes in.  One of the things that was very common was to give boys scores out of ten, tally them up, and make a little table of the favourite boys in the class.
That's rather amusing. I can see it now, with my name way down near the bottom. ;) Just jesting, I'm always first on the list. (No matter what anybody else decides.)

Von Gast

Quote from: Haizea on November 13, 2008, 04:26:28 PM
QuoteWhy are girls so confusing!? Why is there never a black and white answer? Thier answers (if they were a colour) would allways be some mad colour like mauve, thier indecisiveness will be the death of me.

For many, many reasons. So many, in fact, that even we're not sure what they are. We lost count somewhere along the way.

Land Rovers are simpler to understand, and do occasionally attract women. The problem is that my car gets more admiring looks than I do...

The Kernel

I agree, I have the same problem - and I'm MARRIED  :o

JingleJoe

Quote from: SteamDream on November 13, 2008, 04:51:36 PM
Quote from: Dr. Munro on November 13, 2008, 02:48:12 PM
That's rather amusing. I can see it now, with my name way down near the bottom. ;) Just jesting, I'm always first on the list. (No matter what anybody else decides.)
Ah yes I see here in the Necronomicon that Cthulhu has you listed to be eaten first! :D
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

SteamDream

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 13, 2008, 11:35:34 PM
Ah yes I see here in the Necronomicon that Cthulhu has you listed to be eaten first! :D

Fried, boiled, or baked? If you know the demon let him know I taste best marinated on the human plane till I die of old age, or a failed experiment.

Yorktron

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 13, 2008, 01:13:02 PM
Why are girls so confusing!? Why is there never a black and white answer? Thier answers (if they were a colour) would allways be some mad colour like mauve, thier indecisiveness will be the death of me.

Because girls think you can read minds. You should remind them that you can't sometimes.
Regards

Silas P. Morgan

I  think Dr. Grey got it kinda right.... Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.... we think differently.... The evil Saturiann Illuminati programed  us that way........  ::)

A few pages back, there was a discussion about older People trying to pick up on younger people..... and I figure these were those icky kinda perves an such.... but as an older person, I wanna have my say....

OK... I go to a bar, and see a  younger person (not that that was what I was looking for, it's just because they happened to be there....).... and start talking to them.... now this is that part that separates me from the perves....and confuses the snot outta me...... I just wanted to talk to someone... I work alone, and get tired of talking to myself...I'm not trying to pick up on them or anything.... Heck... I've talked to  young women, and they reacts like I'm trying to get into their pants..... I  just wanted to talk to someone... I never made a pass  talked risque or anything that could be misconstrued as a pass.... Dang... I'm probably older than their Father... But it's gotten to the point where I no longer even start to talk to younger people.....

Yeah... I know not everyone is nice.... there are creeps "hunting " out there....  I also know that others have had inappropriate passes made.... But heck... I don't do that..... Why... I'm the kinda guy that will make sure the drunk girl gets home safely, because ... well it's just the right thing to do.....

Single... yeah... I live in a small town where "you don't lose your girlfriend, you lose your place in line"..... and I HATE that line......  SO I guess I will remain single for a bit longer..........but never giving up.... ;D

At 50, I figure that I will have my "Mid-Life Crises" in about 10 more years... at 60... Hey simple math... Mid- Life... that means I will live to be 120.....

Magister

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 13, 2008, 11:35:34 PM

That's quite the honor you know.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: Silas P. Morgan on November 14, 2008, 06:06:32 AM

A few pages back, there was a discussion about older People trying to pick up on younger people..... and I figure these were those icky kinda perves an such.... but as an older person, I wanna have my say....

OK... I go to a bar, and see a  younger person (not that that was what I was looking for, it's just because they happened to be there....).... and start talking to them.... now this is that part that separates me from the perves....and confuses the snot outta me...... I just wanted to talk to someone... I work alone, and get tired of talking to myself...I'm not trying to pick up on them or anything.... Heck... I've talked to  young women, and they reacts like I'm trying to get into their pants..... I  just wanted to talk to someone... I never made a pass  talked risque or anything that could be misconstrued as a pass.... Dang... I'm probably older than their Father... But it's gotten to the point where I no longer even start to talk to younger people.....

That's not limited to small towns, or bars, or times of day- it seems that if anyone, anywhere makes polite conversation with a member of the oppoersite sex they MUST be chatting them up.
It works both ways, of course- if a Female Lady Woman (to use Jonny Bravo's term) decides to pass the time of day with a gent who happens to be sitting/standing next to her in the queue, it's obviously a come-on.

And that's the problem, see. If a woman responds to a gent's pleasant chat, it is deemed that she is "up for it" (regardless of whether or not that's what either of them had in mind!). Therefore, when nothing comes if it, she is deemed to have "lead him on"/allowed him to think he was in with a chance, and, to a certain type of mind, a pr**k teaser who gets a kick out of pretending she's available then withdrawing the perceived offer.

A sad state of affairs. But it means many girls are inclinded to simply nip any contact with unfamiliar men in the bud rather than risk being caught in that trap.

My tu'pence worth is that we need to stop drawing battle lines in the sand and seeing everyone in terms of "them and us". How much of our behavious is pre-determined and how much is conditioned remains to be seen- but until we at least try to minimise the gender expectations/permissions that are forced on us the minute we emerge from the womb, the sorry state of affairs will continue.
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Dr. Munro

I personally think the whole problem stems from the fact that everything has got to be about sex.  Since when did this become the case? 

The Visionary of Dust

Hmm... Single steampunks...
Here here, count me in as well...
Funny thing, that. I don't seem to have many problems with ladies, and most of them usually like me, but for some reason it never goes beyond friendship or simple admiration. I must say, I do enjoy friendships with ladies a whole lot, and usually don't really bother to ask for more than that.

Dr. Munro

You know what kind of man that makes you?...

It makes you a gay man! ;)

The Visionary of Dust

Haaaaaaaaha
Nope, that's not it. I like women.  :D
I just like many women, and in different ways.  ;D

Atterton

Sounds to me like that just makes you a nice guy.  ;)
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

The Visionary of Dust

Quote from: Atterton on November 14, 2008, 01:31:46 PM
Sounds to me like that just makes you a nice guy.  ;)
That's how I like to think of myself, as well. :D

JingleJoe

Quote from: Dr. Munro on November 14, 2008, 12:18:04 PM
I personally think the whole problem stems from the fact that everything has got to be about sex.  Since when did this become the case? 
Scince Freud.
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Dr. Munro

Gay... Nice... Same thing! :)

Emmeline X

Girls aren't confusing! It's just that boys don't understand that love/want should be displayed by offering the biggest available box of chocolates ;) Not by buying them a Bacardi Breezer...
I've had relationships with girls and boys, and I honestly find girls easier to understand. Unfortunately, the downside is when you both get ready to go out anywhere, it takes years ;) Also, when you both have PMT at the same time...but then all the girls I've been with have known that choc and a hot water bottle are the best remedy  ;D
J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl