News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Single Steampunks?

Started by BaronPablo, September 08, 2008, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

*Raises hand.*

Single? Perpetually so. Sure, I have my relationships, but the fine(single and interested) women I meet are always leaving the coming Tuesday. It's as if they've been organizing things for the last four years now.

I may swear too much, and enjoy a rowdy drink with the Rugby boys, but I do take great pains to be polite and proper as best I can. Someone has to, these days...
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

CapnHarlock

I would suspect that the reason for "our" (a generalization)  single status might well be the politeness and propriety to which Mr. O'Byrne refers. It seems to frighten off the (alas) generic redneck/chav/whatever population.

Lack of obvious "I'm Looking" signals (tube-or-seethru top/visible thong/tiny skirt or shorts or the male equivalent orange sprayon tan/ gold chains/spiky dyed "douchebag" hair, and loud, obnoxious behavior, for either gender) just confuses a large proportion of the population (even those of my age) - Not worth the effort.

Just keep looking - sometimes, impossible odds are all that keeps it interesting. ("ch'u can plan my castle-onslaught, any time....")

:)
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Well I suppose it doesn't help that I refrain from actually searching out women. *Shrug.*

www.doctorsteel.com

eggberta echegaray

To be quite honest...I give up and feel that I am condemned to a life of singledom. Part of me is quite alright with this, for I do enjoy the solitude most of the time...and, at other times, I do desire intelligent, humorous company, particularly of the male kind:) Problem is, I'm in a most cumbersome singleton category. I'm almost 40 years old (even though I don't look or even act my age what so ever, for I still get i.d for cigarettes and alcohol), I live alone (I don't even have cats!) I have no children, have never been married...when people find this out, they think, or maybe there is, something very wrong with me either physically, emotionally...Perhaps I'm secretly a leaper in disguise, I don't rightfully know! LOL! I would like to think that I just haven't met that special someone who too, feels that I am special back:) Alas...I've had countless intimate encounters, have gone steady with a few men, but due to circumstances, be it geological and/or, emotionally immature...that unfortunately, has been my lot in life with the men I have came across.  Oh mon dieu.
"She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld and has the right dynamics for the new frontier"

Stella Gaslight

I am dingle out of laziness as well. I have had all of two boyfriends since high school and neither has lasted for all that long.  I am not particularly looking for anything but if it come it comes.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Though the life of the bachelor, or bachelorette can be the fate of many (for good or ill) I would urge you, Eggberta, and others, not to give up hope no matter how long in tooth you may be. My mother, in her mid -ifties somewhere, has a fellow 15 years her junior, been steady for years.

There's always a chance.

www.doctorsteel.com

BaronPablo

Those discriminating of age must not truly realize the beauty that comes in vintage, I'd say.

I'm a pretty libertine fellow, so I've never been able to see why these things bother people.
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

Rowan of Rin

I come to join this pool of singletons! I must say it is hard to get a relationship going when you are officially 'weird' (it is sad that being a mad scientist is now a bad thing :(), but there must be someone out there...
I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!

eggberta echegaray

Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on September 09, 2008, 02:35:35 AM
Though the life of the bachelor, or bachelorette can be the fate of many (for good or ill) I would urge you, Eggberta, and others, not to give up hope no matter how long in tooth you may be. My mother, in her mid -ifties somewhere, has a fellow 15 years her junior, been steady for years.

There's always a chance.

Thank you, for your words...but alas...LOL...*I'm kidding here*...."There is no hope for me! Goodbye cruel world!" hah! Personally, I don't give a rat's bottom anymore, for it doesn't matter. I just wish to have FUN! :) Just bored is all, and in search of a companion(s). Thing of it all is...I've met many eligible men...but...as fate would have it, either I'm not overly attracted to them, or vice versa...or...I click well with someone, but...something such as differing religions, politics, regions what have you, come between us. Yes, age is a state of mind...I've met 20 yr olds that act like they are 40, and 40 yr olds that act like they are 20! I suppose there is a right time, a right place, a right moment...god only knows when that will be...so til then...blah blah blah :)
"She's got a touch of Tuesday Weld and has the right dynamics for the new frontier"

eggberta echegaray

Quote from: Stella Gaslight on September 09, 2008, 02:33:15 AM
I am dingle out of laziness as well. I have had all of two boyfriends since high school and neither has lasted for all that long.  I am not particularly looking for anything but if it come it comes.

I'm lazy about it as well...too much work involved to get it going and maintain it! Blah.

Magister

Well, I'll put my name on the list, though nothing will come of it, I am reasonably certain there are no forum members of my preferred gender in the state of Iowa. 

As for why I'm single, I can't call it laziness, but I am not a relentless pursuer, I am always open to possibility, and casually seeking, but I am not out pounding the pavement looking for it. I would feel rather ridiculous to put that kind of effort into it, particularly as I also approach prospective relationships warily, and never attempt to form a relationship beyond friendship that I don't fully believe in. That sense of honor I have about it has forced me into tough decisions on more than one occasion.

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Not that I've been in a relationship long enough for this to matter since highschool, but it probably doesn't help that I have rather strong trust issues, for whatever reason.

Sure I have my best mates, my family, the whole bit, and I can 'trust' them to be who they are, and most of them wouldn't screw me over in a hundred years, and would help me if I needed it, but I still can't bring myself to really rely on anyone. I like to think of it as practical thinking, but it boils down to the fact that I don't know another persons mind, and figure everyone 'has their price,' making me fear betrayal or that someone won't come through when I need them. So I aim not to need them.

www.doctorsteel.com

qui est in literis

Eminently single, I'm afraid. For some reason, the men I know seem to have an abject horror of entering a relationship with a bisexual woman, and a mad scientist to boot. The women I know have similar objections, not to mention that most of them are straight as a board. Eccentricity in the extreme is not a characteristic which most find attractive.

Fortunately, I am quite capable of being my own woman for however long it takes to find a suitable companion.
"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply

BaronPablo

Quote from: Mad Miss Holmes on September 09, 2008, 06:29:33 AM
Eminently single, I'm afraid. For some reason, the men I know seem to have an abject horror of entering a relationship with a bisexual woman, and a mad scientist to boot. The women I know have similar objections, not to mention that most of them are straight as a board. Eccentricity in the extreme is not a characteristic which most find attractive.

Fortunately, I am quite capable of being my own woman for however long it takes to find a suitable companion.

Oh doll, if only distance wern't a problem to most people. You seem just the right type for this mad reverend-captain!

qui est in literis

Quote from: BaronPablo on September 09, 2008, 06:31:27 AM
Oh doll, if only distance wern't a problem to most people. You seem just the right type for this mad reverend-captain!

That is quite a shame, though I am within a day's driving distance of San Antonio. I should feel rather awkward, though, dating a defrocked man of the cloth... (I speak in jest, I assure you.)

Qui Est In Literis

Dr. Oliver Cross

Those who reject you out of hand, Miss Holmes, seem likely to be those scared off not by your sexuality, but rather by your brain.  For whatever reason, most men of this day and age prefer beauty WITHOUT brains, not understanding that beauty WITH brains, such as yours, can result in a relationship that actually has a non-sexual component.  (Of course, that may be what they're afraid of....)

I can promise you, however, that folk such as the esteemed Baron here, and myself, and various others of this board, are more likely to find you attractive for your mind, considering your (not insignificant) beauty an added benefit, but not the selling point.
If I have to choose between loving you or breathing, I will use my last breath to say "I love you."  --  Estevan Shu

qui est in literis

You flatter me supremely, sir. But flattery will get you nowhere.  ;)

Qui Est In Literis

BaronPablo

Quote from: Mad Miss Holmes on September 09, 2008, 06:42:17 AM
Quote from: BaronPablo on September 09, 2008, 06:31:27 AM

That is quite a shame, though I am within a day's driving distance of San Antonio. I should feel rather awkward, though, dating a defrocked man of the cloth... (I speak in jest, I assure you.)

A day is good enough for me to throw my caution to the wind! Why else would I buy driving goggles for?  8)

Now, one day in which direction?  ;D

qui est in literis

Quote from: BaronPablo on September 09, 2008, 07:03:10 AM

A day is good enough for me to throw my caution to the wind! Why else would I buy driving goggles for?  8)

Now, one day in which direction?  ;D

East Northeast, and I shall say no more.  ;)

Mr Faust: On the contrary, that sounded rather deep to me, and I agree fully.

Qui Est In Literis

Torvald_Faust

The original wording, "If you are bisexual, that only means potential lovers have more competition", sounded pretty shallow to me, miss ;) Which is why I did not use it.

Then, I unfortunately posted as if I spoke that thought out loud...An tendency I have; I think quick and when people think I have gone off on a tangent, more often than not I will have made the missing link in my head :-[ But that is besides the point of this thread ;)

Pinktutu

Miss Holmes, I find that men are intimidated by strong women and you strike me as a very strong and independent woman. Illegitimus non carborundum. (Loosely, "Don't let the bastards grind you down".)

James Harrison

Yup, single here *raises hand and waves furiously*

Though it's by mutual consent... I don't actively pursue relationships and those I attempt to start usually are killed stone dead by the object(s) of my affection.  Unrequited love is the bane of my life. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Emmeline X

Quote from: Mad Miss Holmes on September 09, 2008, 06:29:33 AM

I'm not single ;) But I had to comment on your post, Miss Holmes. I have found the opposite to be true in my case, as all the men I have been in relationships with love the fact I like women. However, the women haven't liked the fact I like men. I fall in love with the person, not the gender, and it's strange that (in my case) men aren't threatened by it, perhaps some of them see women as less of a threat, although I don't know why, in the past I would have been more likely to abscond with a woman!
J'ai réinventé le passé pour voir la beauté de l'avenir.

http://www.myspace.com/destructogirl

eggberta echegaray

Quote from: James Harrison on September 09, 2008, 08:45:07 AM
Yup, single here *raises hand and waves furiously*

Though it's by mutual consent... I don't actively pursue relationships and those I attempt to start usually are killed stone dead by the object(s) of my affection.  Unrequited love is the bane of my life. 

Oh yes...same here with me. *sighs*

SteamBlast Mary

I'd like to offer my support to all the good people who feel frustrated by their single status. But do bear in mind the old nugget about the grass always being greener...

Could part of the problem (if perceived as a problem) be that when people "like us" on BG (i.e. well-mannered, interesting, respectful of others, imaginative, well-rounded etc) find someone, they stick by them? In many other scenes, it seems to be given that Boy Meets Girl (or whatever), they spend time together, then move on. Whereas here, there's talk of forthcoming weddings, recent and long-standing marriages, and generally souls happily building their lives with their chosen Other Halves? True, this means that fewer people are "available" (to use a somewhat coarse term) but the implication is, when you do find that special person, they will blow your socks off.

Isn't that worth holding out for?

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'