News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

looking for steampunk locations and places of interest!!

Started by Vermillion angell, November 17, 2008, 11:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermillion angell

Hi people! i'm new on here so forgive my ignorance in finding my way round. perhaps my post has already been covered at length but i cant seem to find anything!! so...

can anyone suggest steampunk-esque locations and places of interest in the london/south east area??

im looking for things to photograph and anything connected to the steam era/victorian era etc??

thanks!!

BrassMonkey

While maybe a little pre-Victorian, you can't go too far wrong with any building designed by Christopher Wren (1632-1723). Also the whole area between High Holborn (just east of Holborn tube) pretty much down to the thames in London are filled with gorgeous old squares, gardens and buildings, with the odd cute chapel tucked away here and there. I love just wondering and getting lost through all the stone passagways and peacful gardens.

Also right behind Holborn tube is Lincoln's Inn Fields, which has some buildings with really nice stone frontages. On the north side of the field is the old house of Christopher Wren, which has been turned into a small museum which I hear is well worth a look (I'm also pretty sure it's free). He was a collector of, well, things and so he had a very eclectic collection of curious and stuff which is now on display.
On the south side of the field is the Royal Collage of Surgeons which is also very nice building and contains the Hunterian Museum (also free), which is a museum made from the collections of various well known surgeons from the 1700 to today. Many specimens in jars to be seen there as well as plenty of old surgical tools and other contraptions.

I hope that is the kind of thing you were looking for?
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play -Heraclitus

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. -Einstein