News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Fun things to do in Amsterdam?

Started by Dr cornelius quack, December 16, 2008, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr cornelius quack

Come the begining of February, I shall be in Amsterdam for about ten days working my own particular brand of magic on a stand at a big AV trade show at the RAI. However, I get four days off in the middle and I was wondering if any of you good people  have suggestions for diverting activities of a refined cultural nature that an adventurous and spirited chap such as myself might fill his time with.

I know a little about the city and have heard rumours the certain streets are the venue for spontaneous performance art exhibitions is shop windows and the like. It sounds marvellous!! Can any one enlighten me?

Yours, in anticipation,

Dr. Q.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

lilibat

If the torture museum is still there that's fun. Take a wine and cheese canal boat tour at night, try not to drink all the wine on the table yourself... my dad and I did that once. There are lots of really great Indonesian resturants, if you like that sort of thing.

I haven't been to Amsterdam in years, so I don't know what else. Sorry.

ProfRoderickLikeman

I took a boat tour while I was there and it was not completely lame but I think they can do better. Good luck and have fun. Lots of beauty to that city.

lilibat

Quote from: ProfRoderickLikeman on December 17, 2008, 01:14:38 AM
I took a boat tour while I was there and it was not completely lame but I think they can do better. Good luck and have fun. Lots of beauty to that city.

The wine makes it much more fun.  ;)

Elepski

Good lord man.. we're talking Amsterdam here...

If you can't find fun in Amsterdam.. your most likely dead!

James Harrison

I know of a few places in Amsterdam of... debatable virtue/morality. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
The Hash Museum- a fairly interesting/diverting half hour or so of exhibitions of the uses of the hash plant (not just smoking them). 

The P---ography Museum.  'Nuff said. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Atterton

You could go ice skating in Vondelpark. See the Van Gogh museum.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Dr Fidelius

No good suggestions, but I now feel like singing...

Dans le port d`Amsterdam
Y a des marins qui chantent
Les rêves qui les hantent
Au large d`Amsterdam
Dans le port d`Amsterdam
Y a des marins qui dorment
Comme des oriflammes
Le long des berges mornes
Dans le port d`Amsterdam
Y a des marins qui meurent
Pleins de bière et de drames
Aux premières lueurs
Mais dans le port d`Amsterdam
Y a des marins qui naissent
Dans la chaleur épaisse
Des langueurs océanes
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.

Dr cornelius quack

Righty ho!

So now, when I'm over there I should spend my time thinking Jaques Brel-esque thoughts.

But I do that anyway.

Plus la change,eh?

Dr. Q.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Prof. Erwin Lindemann

You should go to the "Tuschinsky", a cinema in the city of Amsterdam. It was formerly a theatre, and it has all of it's charme. If you don't speak Dutch, it doesn't matter: Movies are usually in it's original language with Dutch subtitles. That cinema is really worth a visit! If you want to eat before or after cinema: There is a very good Indonesian restaurant close to the cineman: The "Kantjil en de Tijger". I can really recommend it! More steampunk, but out of Amsterdam is the museum of the 20th century (museum van de 20de eeuw) in Hoorn, and the museum-village "Zuiderzee-museum" in Enkhuizen. It's a full 19th century village, and there are "real people" (actors) living there, playing the life in the late 19th century. In the shops there they accept modern Euros for the oldfashioned sweets. Really worth a try is the fisherman's cabin, where they sell smoked kipper :-) It's fresh made there, in the oldfashioned way! :-)

Zwack

It's been quite some time since I was in Amsterdam but my advice would be to wander around the edges of the city centre rather than the middle... 

I found an excellent book store and a Tibetan store last time I was there.

Z.
"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.