News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...

Started by Clockwerk Wolf, December 31, 2008, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mlle A. Aurantia

Quote from: Maverynthia on January 09, 2009, 05:57:07 AM
Ooohhh Ouija Boards, I love stories about those. I played around with one before, I think I contacted a spirit I "latched onto" for a bit. Hrmm... that thing was probably responsible for me "going insane" >_>
A touch of insanity never hurt anything. . . oh, my, that doesn't really work, does it?

James Harrison

I sometimes think it would be rather interesting to use a Ouija Board or hold a seance in my house.  We have had quite a few 'unexplained' occurences happen here.   
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

groomporter

Quote from: Mlle A. Aurantia on January 09, 2009, 07:52:55 AM
Ooohhh Ouija Boards, I love stories about those. I played around with one before, I think I contacted a spirit I "latched onto" for a bit. Hrmm... that thing was probably responsible for me "going insane" >_>
A touch of insanity never hurt anything. . . oh, my, that doesn't really work, does it?
besides people are no longer "insane" they are just "differently reasoned"
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Lady Anne

Quote from: groomporter on January 09, 2009, 01:08:45 PM
Excellent!  This is my new explanation.
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.

groomporter

Quote from: Lady Anne on January 09, 2009, 02:39:02 PM
Quote from: groomporter on January 09, 2009, 01:08:45 PM
Excellent!  This is my new explanation.

Although to be more Victorian I suppose it should just be "eccentric"
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

You're only eccentric if you're rich, otherwise you're just a loon.  :P
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

lavenderfae

Quote from: James Harrison on January 09, 2009, 10:31:58 AM
I sometimes think it would be rather interesting to use a Ouija Board or hold a seance in my house.  We have had quite a few 'unexplained' occurences happen here.   

I shall share my most amusing Ouija board story. A cohort and I were playing with one once, and getting some intriguing responses. Then a bit into the session, the planchette began moving wildly about the board, spelling nothing intelligible. When questioned, the "spirit" spelled out, "SORRY. GAS."

L.F.

Lady Anne

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.

groomporter

Triv
Quote from: Lady Anne on January 10, 2009, 12:54:19 AM
Not "Sorry, ectoplasm"?

Speaking of ectoplam, a trivia note: In the old hoax seances in the early 20th century the most common prop that was used to fake ectoplasm was cheesecloth.
-Spider Robinson

rovingjack

as both an eccentric, and a frikin nut, I can safely say that money has less to do with eccentricity then how loud you are about it.

People over react to crazies, let me just say that going crazy is just like being sane, only with a whole lot less worrying about checking yourself against the normal people.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

groomporter

I stumbled on this website recently and thought it might be of interest in the vein of skeptical ghost hunters and medium debunkers.

Harry Price was one of the most well known psychical researchers of his time. In the 1930s & 1940s, no newspaper or magazine article about an alleged case of haunting or a radio broadcast concerning poltergeists or the supernatural was complete without a contribution from Price.
http://www.harryprice.co.uk/index.html

On a related note there's a serialized podcast I've been really enjoying called "Table Rappers" It is set in Edwardian London and one of the main characters has retired from a hobby of exposing fake mediums, but it seems he may be about to run into the real thing...
http://tablerappers.com/
-Spider Robinson

lavenderfae

groomporter

For the alchemists. The recent BibliOdyssey blog shows an image of the "the Ripley Scroll" an 15th century alchemical manuscript that shows in pictorial cryptograms the production of the philosopher's stone.
http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/01/ripley-scroll.html

A while ago it featured illustrations of alchmists' labs or workshops
http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/10/alchemy-laboratories.html

Most of the illustrations are click-able to see larger versions.

-Spider Robinson

Mlle A. Aurantia

Quote from: rovingjack on January 10, 2009, 03:01:55 AM
as both an eccentric, and a frikin nut, I can safely say that money has less to do with eccentricity then how loud you are about it.

People over react to crazies, let me just say that going crazy is just like being sane, only with a whole lot less worrying about checking yourself against the normal people.
I usually try not to annoy others, but I don't make any large attempt to appear "normal," either. I beleive that as long as no one gets hurt and no laws are broken, it's a personal amusement. This does not seem to be the case for my new co-worker, who has started calling me "the Freak" to my other co-workers after learning my faith (not hers) and hobbies (knitting, reading, and yoga: none of which she can do). We're all complaining to the manager about this one. I'm looking for another job. Does anyone know of a full-time job opening in Pettis County, Missouri?  ;)

lady sakara

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Marrock

The last time someone called me a freak I just gave her my best madman grin and told her "My dear, you have no idea"...

After that, oddly enough, the only thing she called me was "sir" and she never turned her back to me... can't imagine why.

lavenderfae

Quote from: Mlle A. Aurantia on January 11, 2009, 06:52:34 AM

This does not seem to be the case for my new co-worker, who has started calling me "the Freak" to my other co-workers after learning my faith (not hers) and hobbies (knitting, reading, and yoga: none of which she can do). We're all complaining to the manager about this one. I'm looking for another job. Does anyone know of a full-time job opening in Pettis County, Missouri?  ;)

If knitting, reading and yoga make you a freak in Missouri, I am again thanking my lucky stars I live in Portland, Oregon (whose motto is, "Keep Portland Weird.")

vt13013

Quote from: Mlle A. Aurantia on January 11, 2009, 06:52:34 AM
Quote from: rovingjack on January 10, 2009, 03:01:55 AM

I usually try not to annoy others, but I don't make any large attempt to appear "normal," either. I beleive that as long as no one gets hurt and no laws are broken, it's a personal amusement. This does not seem to be the case for my new co-worker, who has started calling me "the Freak" to my other co-workers after learning my faith (not hers) and hobbies (knitting, reading, and yoga: none of which she can do). We're all complaining to the manager about this one. I'm looking for another job. Does anyone know of a full-time job opening in Pettis County, Missouri?  ;)

Unless you truly do not like your job, I'd begin to drop phrases like "hostile work environment", "religious intolerance" and CREA especially in front of managers. And if you really committed, mention to the gossip (most every work place has them) you are considering an attorney.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Clockwerk Wolf

Quote from: Marrock on January 11, 2009, 04:29:51 PM
The last time someone called me a freak I just gave her my best madman grin and told her "My dear, you have no idea"...

I happen to use that one all the time.  ;D

Ben Hudson, Esq.

Quote from: Toji Chiba on January 06, 2009, 09:33:33 PM
Quote from: Ben Hudson, Esq. on January 06, 2009, 05:39:42 PM

Interesting. Define 'work'.

Function as a seeing device. Make it possible to see beings of the other world(goblins, leprechauns, fairies)

So by looking through a hole in a rock, one may perceive goblins, and whatnot? Super. I assume that a large enough seeing stone could be placed in front of a camera lens, for the sake of proof...
Unless the faeries are too clever to be photographed, of course.
Quod me non necat me confirmat

QuoteCappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

www.doctorsteel.com

Toji Chiba

Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on January 12, 2009, 11:37:16 PM
THAT is an interesting question, Mr. Hudson.

indeed it is, I think a research is in order. I will see what I can do. Although I might think it could turn out the same as with the vampires (being a kind of fairie themselves (although a bad one) as they do not show in mirrors or photographs.

"Well I'll be buggered by a monochrome chipmunk!!!" -CinnamonAndSpite-

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Whot whot? That's nonsense. Vampires are undead, not natural. Faeries and the like are more natural then we are, they're life. Vampires a sort of faery? Who sold you that one, mate?

www.doctorsteel.com

Toji Chiba

Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on January 13, 2009, 01:09:48 AM
Whot whot? That's nonsense. Vampires are undead, not natural. Faeries and the like are more natural then we are, they're life. Vampires a sort of faery? Who sold you that one, mate?

Well I would have to check on that with the Van helsing Society, but if I remember correctly, the book of otherworldly creatures stated faeries and vampires as belonging to a same kind of otherworld from which they originate... both types are immortal, aren't they? But, I might as well have stumbled over a bad copy with unreliable information. Good thing I do all of my research myself and do not rely to much on books. But, aren't there several different kinds of vampires? I heard of the bloodsucking variant as well as an energy consuming type. As I said, I'll have to check on that with the VH-Society.

On a side note: Doesn't immortal mean something /someone, can not die? How can an undead being live forever?

"Well I'll be buggered by a monochrome chipmunk!!!" -CinnamonAndSpite-

groomporter

Quote from: Toji Chiba on January 13, 2009, 01:18:33 AM
Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on January 13, 2009, 01:09:48 AM
On a side note: Doesn't immortal mean something /someone, can not die? How can an undead being live forever?

An object in motion tends to stay in motion until something acts upon it... Likewise, nosferatu appear to be immortal in the sense that they seem to live forever unless someone acts upon them with stake, fire, sun, decapitation, or sufficient amounts of holy water.
-Spider Robinson