News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...

Started by Clockwerk Wolf, December 31, 2008, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamLion

The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn... interesting. Not far off from my IRL name actually. So the name appeals to me, as does the topic. Also, IRL I am a kick ass astrologer, amateur tarot reader, long time pagan (of sorts) and recent convert to Pastafarianism. Seems this is right up my alley. Count me in and pass the planets.

HettyB

If the list is still open I'd be delighted to join.  Long time dabbler in nearly all things occult.  Drawing up steamy diagrams to draw in chalk shall be a hoot.

deps

Capt_Zaphod

Quote from: CaptainFynnOMalleyEsq. on December 31, 2008, 04:44:03 PM
Well, as a pagan [oooh, getting a bit close to religion there] the occult is something that I can't help but take an interest in.

Consider me in.
Another pagan here.  Who'd also like to join please.

groomporter

http://www.forgottenbooks.org/ republishes old books and offers free full-text free versions online through Google books. There are several occult and magick -related works from the late 1800's and early 1900's that might be of interest as inspiration for pseudo-magic symbols, esoteric quotes, incantations, and other stuff for steam/occult stories, props or LARPs.

After a quick scan through the titles here's a few I saw that might be worth looking at, and there are few more I think I missed
   Ancient and Modern Initiation
   The Book of Ceremonial Magic
   The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage
        The Coming of the Fairies
   Demonology, by King James I
   The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
   The Gardnerian Book of Shadows
   Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft
   The Synthesis of Science, Religion, and Philosophy Vol 1 & 2
        The Vampire, his Kith and Kin
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Julian Van de Kamp

As someone whose modern-day persona is student of Hermetic philosophy and an initiate of the (RL) Golden Dawn system of occultism, I humbly request admittance into this new order. The subjects of Occultism and Hermeticism during the Victorian era are of great interest to me.

However, because the subject of occultism is too closely intertwined with several different religions, I will request that the author of this thread create a set of guidelines that we can follow to keep our discussions from coming too close to that fine line separating religion from the occult.

Toji Chiba

I second that.

and @ Mr. Groomporter: this is a very useful link and a very nice collection of useful books!

"Well I'll be buggered by a monochrome chipmunk!!!" -CinnamonAndSpite-

hereaftermouse

Quote from: groomporter on January 02, 2009, 12:40:06 AM
http://www.forgottenbooks.org/ republishes old books and offers free full-text free versions online through Google books. There are several occult and magick -related works from the late 1800's and early 1900's that might be of interest as inspiration for pseudo-magic symbols, esoteric quotes, incantations, and other stuff for steam/occult stories, props or LARPs.

After a quick scan through the titles here's a few I saw that might be worth looking at, and there are few more I think I missed
Very nice, I wasn't aware of the site.

Might I also recommend The Lesser Key of Solomon

lady sakara

There's a very unique occult bookshop in London called Atlantis bookshop

it has ..or at least did have when i went there last, huge statues of egyptian gods on the outside and inside of the shop
http://www.theatlantisbookshop.com/
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

D. Adrianna Kadwell

This order is why I made an account on this interesting forum... so, please, consider me a member.

I am an amateur tarot reader as well (I just received a set of tarot-cards as a Christmas present this year), I know quite a bit about numerology. I am very interested in the occult, so... yes, count me in.

Haywire

I'm into a lot of chaos magick type stuff. Was published in a book called Generation Hex by Disinformation. Doesn't surprise me that there are other people into the occult here.

Marrock

If you need a runecaster with a working knowledge of the Elder Futhark, I'm available.

Dr. Zedrich Heretic

At last, a place for the mad Dr. Heretic and his occult musings and dreams of a Magic Machine.  But that's all for fun and such.  I was even thinking today about adding something of an arcane look to the Steamy attire I've been working on acquiring, but I've yet to think of just how to do this.  I know I want to avoid the obvious dark cloak look.  I simply have this barely formed image in my mind of a new sorcerer look.

Any thoughts?
"Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names.

But the bard songs will remain..."

Dusza Beben

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"

DrTom

"We are the music makers.
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,"
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy

Mlle A. Aurantia

I am less of a ceremonial magician: my fashion is usually dubbed "MacGuyver Magick," because I b.s. half of my work with about five minutes of planning. My best work was performed with an ink pen, a Post-It, and a piece of Scotch tape. I enjoy a bit of ritual as much as any Neopagan, but if it works, I don't complain. My field of interest is in Herbalism, both medicinal and magickal, though I have little knowledge of it. I am studying, though. I am very good at candle work. I have limited ability with Tarot. I prefer Cunningham's 12-rune set. I have dabbled in technopaganism, with absolutely no knowledge of computers. I am mostly experimenting with a device to make electronics safe around magickal energies.

I am in my fourth year of Neopaganism with very heavy Daoist influences, no longer Wiccan because I am just not pacifistic enough. I think that there is no harm in KNOWING who is of what faith, as long as there is no bickering about which is better. Religion is a large part of many of our lives. It seems silly to have open and judgement-free disclosure of gender, career, family, and sexual preferece without the choice of faith being allowed. I say disclosure, not discussion, so if we must debate our beliefs, let's take it to HipForums (no censorship there) and leave the civil people in peace.  ;D

I am very interested in steampunking my tools, what tools I use, and would love to share images once I acquire a camera. I have two Steampunkish tools thus far: a plain dagger (I don't do Athame. Mine is sharp.) gifted by my husband and a wand handmade from. . . I don't know what kind of wood it is. I found it on the street a few years ago and it just seemed to beg me to wrap it in copper wire and quartz. Everything else is dumpster dived.

hereaftermouse

Mlle A. Aurantia and a few others, if I recall correctly, mentioned tarot, so I know there is some divination going down, so: is anyone interested in palmistry around here?

DrTom

Quote from: hereaftermouse on January 02, 2009, 07:48:02 AM
Mlle A. Aurantia and a few others, if I recall correctly, mentioned tarot, so I know there is some divination going down, so: is anyone interested in palmistry around here?

I've played around with palmistry, amd I must confess that I'm not terribly adept. 

I've read Tarot since I was 9 (mother insisted), so that, scrying, and my own set of divination symbols has been my primary divinatory practice.
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy

groomporter

Quote from: Clockwerk Wolf on December 31, 2008, 11:57:02 AM
In goodwilled response to the formation of the Prometheus Club, I felt it fitting to implement a similar haven for all of BG's resident dabblers in the occult and paranormal, see as the Prometheus Club holds a moratorium on the subject.  ;)

Of course we could always launch a few good-natured prank curses at our favorite Mad Scientists over at the Prometheus... Perhaps all of their spanners could find their way into the soup tureen at their next club dinner...

BTW there were some people kicking around ideas for a Steampunk Tarot before the forum crash. The thread was here:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=9065.0
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Herr Wolf

I would like to join this noble order as well.

I consider myself an amateur student of the occult, but I don't really practice my knowledge.
I dabble in Tarot as well, but confound it if every time i try to do a reading for someone else, the cards read for me instead!
The Egyptian and Norse mythologies I find fascinating as well.

~Wolf
~"Water plus heat equals steam.  The world can be saved by steam."~

groomporter

Quote from: Julian Van de Kamp on January 02, 2009, 01:03:56 AM
However, because the subject of occultism is too closely intertwined with several different religions, I will request that the author of this thread create a set of guidelines that we can follow to keep our discussions from coming too close to that fine line separating religion from the occult.

I think the first guideline is to remember that Steampunk is fiction, and while we may discuss the documented history or real world practice of magic and the occult as inspiration, most of this is for the purpose of fitting it into an alternate, steam powered and/or clockwork world.

Speaking of clockwork... There are automatic playing card shufflers, how about a wind-up box to shuffle tarot cards? I wonder if one of the modern shufflers could be "steamed" (maybe with a fake wind-up key to start?) if you could find a tarot deck to fit it.
-Spider Robinson

James Harrison

Quote from: groomporter on January 02, 2009, 12:40:06 AM

A most useful little list!  Great site too. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

DrTom

QuoteBTW there were some people kicking around ideas for a Steampunk Tarot before the forum crash. The thread was here:

Pretty cool thread!  I don't guess they ever actually finished the deck?

QuoteSpeaking of clockwork... There are automatic playing card shufflers, how about a wind-up box to shuffle tarot cards? I wonder if one of the modern shufflers could be "steamed" (maybe with a fake wind-up key to start?) if you could find a tarot deck to fit it.

That's a pretty fun idea!  There are 'standard' playing-card sized Tarot decks, though I don't know if the number of cards will be an issue (never having used an automatic card shuffler).

Though I like the general concept, I'd probably never use it for an actual reading (I like to have my querants shuffle the deck themselves).
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy

groomporter

Quote from: DrTom on January 02, 2009, 03:25:05 PM
Though I like the general concept, I'd probably never use it for an actual reading (I like to have my querants shuffle the deck themselves).

That's often standard procedure, but I suppose you could add some number selector dials of some form on it (to enter the person's birthday maybe?) maybe to help do a "remote/distance" reading when the subject was not physically present?? -Or to get a read on an uncooperative/unwilling subject like an enemy mystic or his/her henchmen that you have captured?
-Spider Robinson

Captain Brandsson

- Maximilian