News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...

Started by Clockwerk Wolf, December 31, 2008, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deimos

Quote from: Athanor on June 16, 2021, 06:39:38 AM
Quote from: Deimos on June 15, 2021, 02:09:11 AM
Quote from: Athanor on June 14, 2021, 06:05:08 AM
So: I believe nothing. I suspect a great many things; I suspect that some of my suspicions might even turn out to be true, in some sense; or at least, to point towards some kind of truth; but I don't believe in any of them.

Athanor, TOAOTAGO 33o
But you believe  that your thoughts exist, that your thoughts (and opinions) are real, do you not?
They are real enough that  you can express them in the written word, are they not?
And since you are expressing them, i.e., writing them down and posting them in this thread, does that not make you real, and not just "suspected" real?
After all, a figment cannot do that.  

And I am reading them and commenting on them; and I am not part of your conditional, "suspected" existence, because other people respond to my posts, so does that not make all of that "suspected" existence objectively real, concrete?  

Just askin', juneau....  

Well, it's all a matter of subjective probabilities, I guess. I seem to be real, as far as I can tell, so I suspect that I give myself a high subjective probability of being real; probably approaching 100%. You're replying to my posting, Deimos, and making points that seem quite intelligent, so I suspect that the probability - for me - of your existence is also quite high, but not quite as high as my subjective probability of my own existence. I suspect that you're not one of the moons of Mars . . . but, obviously, I can't be 100% sure of that . . . .

I suspect that you might see these things differently, and that's perfectly fine. Or am I getting just altogether to convoluted???

It's "perfectly fine" until I have to decide if I can rely on you for .....well, for anything.
I can't rely on someone who suspects all of reality to be up for debate.
If I ask you to give me a ride because my car is on the fritz, and you say, yes, I'll be by at 8AM to give you a ride to work, how do I know that at 7:30 you may decide that
1) I don't exist, or
2) I exist but what I said is suspect (that my car is not working) because you believe that I am seeing a situation that isn't real.  

I mean, I can't even take you up on an invitation to your home to have a dinner or a drink, because I don't know how you view the bottle that says "drain cleaner" vs the bottle that says Scotch, or the box that says "rat poison" vs the box that says "sugar."

It's not only you about whom I would have reservations in my dealings; it's anyone who espoused your philosophy.

Let's say the city/ county hired an "inspector of bridges" (here in the US it would be someone with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering) who decided to embrace your philosophy.
So he goes out to inspect bridges and when he sees a weakened weld or a severly rusted bolt he decides that what he is seeing might not be the real situation and so doesn't note it.
He thinks " Well I can't be certain of what I am seeing."

And if you (or he) argues that you wouldn't do that where safety or other people's lives are concerned, it still doesn't change anything.
You have already put me on notice that all of reality is subjective to you, so I have to conclude that even your own convictions don't hold sway with you because at any time they are suspect.
You stand entirely on shifting sands.
(Good heavens!...If my Doctor thought the same way :o I'd have to find another doctor!)

"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

J. Wilhelm

Deimos just described a *fuzzy* reality. It's a good thing that Planck's Constant is such a small number and we are nowhere close to being the size of an atom. Were we much smaller, the scenario described would be quite plausible. That's the other limit of this universe, in the scale of the very small causality loses presence in the universe.

Deimos

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 16, 2021, 08:36:24 PM
Deimos just described a *fuzzy* reality. It's a good thing that Planck's Constant is such a small number and we are nowhere close to being the size of an atom. Were we much smaller, the scenario described would be quite plausible. That's the other limit of this universe, in the scale of the very small causality loses presence in the universe.

Please elucidate. In detail. (Really.)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Deimos on June 16, 2021, 10:34:48 PM

Oohh! That's a physics class.  I can do, but just let me collect my thoughts, I'm having a hard time with my mother's affairs at the moment. This Thursday I'll be working all day long in a 10 hour shift.

Deimos

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 17, 2021, 05:36:26 AM

Oohh! That's a physics class.  I can do, but just let me collect my thoughts, I'm having a hard time with my mother's affairs at the moment. This Thursday I'll be working all day long in a 10 hour shift.

No hurry...take your time.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Deimos on June 17, 2021, 05:52:18 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 17, 2021, 05:36:26 AM

Oohh! That's a physics class.  I can do, but just let me collect my thoughts, I'm having a hard time with my mother's affairs at the moment. This Thursday I'll be working all day long in a 10 hour shift.

No hurry...take your time.

It's basically Intro to Quantum Mechanics - Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and wave functions of macroscopic objects assuming that Planck's Constant was different. It's interesting.

Athanor

Deimos, you are completely missing my point. I do not suspect all of reality to be up for debate. That is not what probability means.

When I talk about subjective probabilities, I mean something like . . . well, if I had been hired as a bridge inspector and found a bad weld, I would rate it as a high probability that this would be dangerous to the structural integrity of the bridge, so I would get it fixed. If I was your doctor and found an anomaly in your lung X-ray, I would say that it indicates a high probability that you have lung cancer, so you can be sure I would order a biopsy. I perhaps would not be 100% certain - maybe the anomaly was a benign cyst - but perhaps a 75% probability of cancer, so . . . .

Surely this should have been obvious, but I guess not.
Vero vobis dico, qui quaerit, inveniet eius. Et saepius, parum volet.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.

Deimos

Quote from: Athanor on June 18, 2021, 06:37:53 AM
Deimos, you are completely missing my point. I do not suspect all of reality to be up for debate. That is not what probability means.

When I talk about subjective probabilities, I mean something like . . . well, if I had been hired as a bridge inspector and found a bad weld, I would rate it as a high probability that this would be dangerous to the structural integrity of the bridge, so I would get it fixed. If I was your doctor and found an anomaly in your lung X-ray, I would say that it indicates a high probability that you have lung cancer, so you can be sure I would order a biopsy. I perhaps would not be 100% certain - maybe the anomaly was a benign cyst - but perhaps a 75% probability of cancer, so . . . .

Surely this should have been obvious, but I guess not.

Oh....OK. My mistake; sorry for being obtuse. 

rovingjack

I've kinda fallen down the rabbit hole of youtube tarot/oracle readings. lol. Not sure how the first one came across my feed, but they are kinda fun and a bit calming. Pulled out my Romanichal Caravan themed 'tarot deck' (it's suited with hearts, spades, diamonds and clubs, with Princess, knight, queen and king court cards for each, and has a set of 22 trumps) . the major arcana/ trumps always struck me as not quite matching the usual themes, and seemed a bit puzzling to work out for me, and it's possible it was just for game playing (though the last 3 trumps a a card reader, palm reader and fortune teller... sooo).

I got into some reddit community discussion of card reading, largely because I find it interesting how reading would ascribe some meanings to certain cards while sometimes disregarding the standard meaning in favor of what the art could make them think of that day. And I feel like a lot of people worry about doing it right and verifying the meaning of somebody elses reading. Which struck me as improbable as dream interpretation out of a dream dictionary.

For me for example: the tower is the tower of Babel and represents miscommunications and prideful belief you're way is the right way. THe hanged man is Odin sacrificing oneself to oneself, gaining insight and seeking new skills and empowerment to effect the world.

But I think the hottest button I pushed was the Wands=Air/thought-memory/spirit, Swords=fire/relations-drive/the effects and actions we do in the world and the people in it.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Tomas29

Our website offers you a unique opportunity to discover the mysterious world of tarot cards by plunging into the depths of the dark forest.
https://tarotcardsdarkforest.com/
Why choose Tarot Cards of the Dark Forest?

The uniqueness of the cards: Each deck here is a masterpiece, hand-crafted by highly skilled artists who skillfully embody the dark secrets of the forest in each card.

Interpretation and guide: On our website, you will find a detailed explanation of each card. You will not only learn their meanings, but also get valuable tips and insights aimed at your personal life.

Online Tarot: Try our online tarot to get answers to your questions and find out what the future holds for you.

Community and forums: Connect with other tarot enthusiasts, discuss card readings, share your experiences, and get advice from others.

Shop: You can also order your very own tarot deck, where each card is a unique creation that will add mystery and depth to your tarot experience.

Let Dark Forest Tarot Cards be your guide to the world of mystery and help you discover your inner world through tarot cards. Feel the magic of the forest in each card and find the answers to your questions.