News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

List of Steampunk Movies

Started by Goby, January 04, 2009, 08:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvis

Quote from: Cpt. Kino on November 16, 2009, 04:34:04 PM
i wonder... could Chitty Chitty Bang Bang be classed as steampunk? because i really like Chitty

Yes, it's already in the list. :)
DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!

Captain Brandsson

i wonder... could Chitty Chitty Bang Bang be classed as steampunk? because i really like Chitty
Would there be some sort of personal conflict if it wasn't?
- Maximilian

Cubinoid

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

and whilst we're at it, can I mention our little steampunk music video?

Steampunk Tree Snow

Cubinoid
tinyurl.com/mothbanduk
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Cpt. Kino

Quote from: Captain Brandsson on November 17, 2009, 01:59:45 AM
Would there be some sort of personal conflict if it wasn't?

no i just wasn't sure since i dont recall any actual steam technology. it has been a while since the last time i saw Chitty, so i may have forgotten something.
For those wondering, my name (Cpt. Kino) the captain part is because I am trying to build a true working airship (that doesn't look like a flying wanker) and am currently in the blueprint stage.

Capt. Dirigible

Quotei dont recall any actual steam technology

It's a vintage car that flies!! And floats.... Not to mention Caracticus Potts' 'Heath Robinson' style contraption for making breakfast..and Baron Bomburst's Airship!
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Cpt. Kino

.... oh... i forgot about those  :D i need to watch the movie again.  :P
For those wondering, my name (Cpt. Kino) the captain part is because I am trying to build a true working airship (that doesn't look like a flying wanker) and am currently in the blueprint stage.

Rockula

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on November 17, 2009, 09:28:46 AM
Quotei dont recall any actual steam technology

It's a vintage car that flies!! And floats.... Not to mention Caracticus Potts' 'Heath Robinson' style contraption for making breakfast..and Baron Bomburst's Airship!

And the Child Catcher...the first Goth maybe? ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Bong294

I'd like to add 'Black Cat White Cat', an Eastern European film with a lot of SP perifery in it and is just a wonderful film !

Bong294
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............?

Cubinoid

Ooh - not sure if these are on the list, but Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow has some lovely Zeppelin shots in it (although not Victorian, I think Zeppelins should classify a film as SP, do you agree?).

And La Antena, directed by Esteban Sapir - black and white, not strictly SP, although there are some incredible zeppelin suits that enable a person to float along with propellers on their feet; now the sight of that really reminded me of some of those crazy Victorian inventions...

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian
http://tinyurl.com/mothbanduk
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Voltin

I'm still fairly new to SP but I thought that The Invisible Man (1933) was at least worth mentioning.
I know that it is set in the 1930's but has to do with Mad science, was written by H.G. Wells and you have to admit that the man dons some wicked specs

For those of you who are interested I would recommend the film Hardware (1990), though not Steampunk it should appeal to those of you post apocalyptic fans
"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898

Choreocrat

I'm putting this in movies rather than music, though it is primarily musical. The movie is the bit that is most steamy (or more specifically diesely).

Finnish musical group Alamaailman Vasarat made a sequence of music videos of silent films which are quite dieselpunk/fascism parody. They are of interest, style-wise, even if you don't think they fit in.

The music is a weird and fabulous mix of instrumentation (think Apocalyptica with added brass and more originality and a dash of klezmer).

Part 1: Kivitetty Saatana
Part 2: Astiadehtas
Part 3: Jää, Hyvä Mieli
Part 4:
Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy

SPBrewer

"Young Einstein" (1988) needs to be added to the list.

SPBrewer
The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Arvis

Quote from: SPBrewer on November 21, 2009, 07:37:45 AM
"Young Einstein" (1988) needs to be added to the list.

SPBrewer

Just watched this movie last night for the first time since I was a teenager. I had forgotten how good it is! :D Yes indeed it is a steampunk movie in every respect.

positron

Hey, what about City of Lost Children?

Rockula

Quote from: positron on November 22, 2009, 07:44:12 AM
Hey, what about City of Lost Children?

The list is in post 1 on page 1 of this thread. It's in there. ;D

Mad Maudlin

Put "9" on there. It's got giant evil robots and the main characters are referred to as "stitchpunks", what more do you need?
To Hell with ponies, I want an Airship!
"...If I ever see anyone in a 'sexy clockwork automaton' costume they picked up off a supermarket shelf I'm going to beat them to death with their plastic cog mini-skirt..."
-Dylan Fox in issue 7 of <i>SteamPunk</i> magazine

Atterton

Quite a lot more I should think.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Rockula

Having just rewatched 'Jumanji' and it's (sort-of) sequel 'Zathura' I would argue there are sufficient Steampunk elements in both of them in order that they should qualify for the list.

Arvis

Quote from: Rockula on November 25, 2009, 05:53:38 PM
Having just rewatched 'Jumanji' and it's (sort-of) sequel 'Zathura' I would argue there are sufficient Steampunk elements in both of them in order that they should qualify for the list.

I agree on "Jumanji" however "Zathura" strikes me as more diesel than steam. Loved both movies. :)

Rockula

Quote from: Arvis on November 25, 2009, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: Rockula on November 25, 2009, 05:53:38 PM

I agree on "Jumanji" however "Zathura" strikes me as more diesel than steam. Loved both movies. :)

I agree mostly about Zathura. However, take a closer look at the cog driven robot and you'll see why I think it deserves 'honorary' mention. :D

Mad Maudlin

@Atterton: All right then. Most of the characters look like they're wearing goggles (except for #5, who has a monoggle); the giant evil robots are made of such things as Random Apocalyptic Scrap, cogwheels, and animal/human bones; the giant evil robots' solution to everything is "blow it up with fire"; the good guys' solution to everything is "blow it up with fire"; it's set in a post-apocaplyptic world where all the humans are dead; and it's Tim Burton so it has to be good. Pics below, spoilertagg'd for length.
Spoiler: ShowHide

The Cat Beast (note skull and spiky bits)

#1 (note giant cogwheel in background)
To Hell with ponies, I want an Airship!
"...If I ever see anyone in a 'sexy clockwork automaton' costume they picked up off a supermarket shelf I'm going to beat them to death with their plastic cog mini-skirt..."
-Dylan Fox in issue 7 of <i>SteamPunk</i> magazine

Madame Jane

I know it's not well known but has anyone heard of the movie Mirror Mask?

Lovely movie.
Love,
    M.J.

Choreocrat

Quote from: Madame Jane on November 30, 2009, 02:01:48 AM

Lovely movie.
The Neil Gaiman one? It was very strange, and *very* Gaiman-ish. Some steamy elements (like that creepy-as-hell "Close to you" sequence), but mostly in the 'New Weird' style. It's worth watching if you can get a hold of it.
Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy

Madame Jane

Quote from: Choreocrat on November 30, 2009, 05:38:34 AM
Quote from: Madame Jane on November 30, 2009, 02:01:48 AM

Lovely movie.
The Neil Gaiman one? It was very strange, and *very* Gaiman-ish. Some steamy elements (like that creepy-as-hell "Close to you" sequence), but mostly in the 'New Weird' style. It's worth watching if you can get a hold of it.

No actually not the neil gaiman one. But it is kind of similar. Not steam punk but definitely some steam punk elements.
Love,
    M.J.

Rockula

I only know of the Dave McKean directed 'MirrorMask' which was, indeed, co-written by Neil Gaiman. That one's pretty good but more a 'Alice In Wonderland/Wizard Of Oz' style fantasy than actual 'Steampunk'. It's easy to get hold of the DVD, In fact, you can get it together with 'Labyrinth' and 'Dark Crystal' in a box-set for £10.00.
If it's not that one and there's another movie of that name I'm not familiar with it.