Attention: Brits. We're all going to freeze to death in a pristine white hell.

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, February 01, 2009, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garingling

Quote from: groomporter on February 03, 2009, 02:54:47 PM
People might get a chuckle out of this made by someone from here in Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM

I was highly amused by that video but as someone who lives on the east coast at about sea level there's a very good chance I'd be underwater.
-Georgia
Quote from: The Abiliegh on July 09, 2009, 09:06:35 PM
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

Nefthys

You call that snow? You can SEE over it! I have a snowpile out my front window at work here that I still can't see over and it's been melting for a week. But I guess we are used to that here...
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!

groomporter

Quote from: garingling on February 03, 2009, 05:10:54 PM

I was highly amused by that video but as someone who lives on the east coast at about sea level there's a very good chance I'd be underwater.
-Georgia

Yeah I've heard it said that Minnesota might be be a decent place to be with global warming as the winter temperatures might moderate.

I also heard a talking head on the radio claim that the British Isles might expect some cooler weather, at least initially, if global warming is true. His explanation was that the Gulf Stream current is basically a convection current with cold water in the Arctic/North sea falling and flowing south and the warm Gulf Stream flowing north. If the Arctic waters warmed, a theory is that the Gulf Stream would slow and have less of a moderating effect on the Isles, and coastal Northern Europe
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Lock

-Georgia

Use this to see how long you have got:
http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=43.3251,-101.6015&z=13&m=7
tks
Lock
High and dry

garingling

Well I guess I was wrong, after using the link from Lock it appears that even at a 14 meter rise we are still dry, the Cheapeake Bay won't flood over us. However, at that point we will lose PAX naval air station up the road from us and the St. Mary's College of Maryland down the road from here (both of these places are already waterfront). We must be in a high spot. I'd be an alumni to a school that was sunk underwater.
Anyway, it's flurrying here. Oh no! Must race to Wal-Mart for bread and toilet paper. ;) :D
-Georgia
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

bizarre_chicken

Quote from: Lock on February 03, 2009, 05:52:41 PM

-Georgia

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=43.3251,-101.6015&z=13&m=7
tks

Lock
High and dry

That is fantastic. I'll end up surrounded by water on three sides, but seems I'm on a hill of some sort since even after a 14m rise I'll still be dry. Bring on global warming, I say!

Click here for win. ---^

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Well I'm living at about 5000 feet(1500 meters,) so the waters surging around the continent doesn't frighten ME in the least. That was a great song.
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Nothing, Newport and Cardiff would be under water and the Usk would be a channel instead of a river right up to Usk itself, but I'm high and dry, even on a +14.
The music is reversable, but time...is not.

Alexander Edmund Clough

Well, at +7m, my place of employment is underwater

At +14m, the end of the main road our estate is on is underwater.

So God Save the Queen, 'Cause anything is possible for a man in a top hat with a monkey with a monocle!

Professor Fzz

Quote from: Lock on February 03, 2009, 05:52:41 PM

We go under after 9m of rise, which I consider pretty good given we're right by the Thames.  I'm unlikely to live long enough for it to be a serious concern unless my immortality experiments start going somewhat better than they have done so far.
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

Herr Döktor

I'm surrounded by water, the Thames, various canals, lakes and reservoirs, but only at the upper end, above 10 meters, does the rising water affect me, and then it's only my current employer!

lady sakara

Quote from: Captain_Minty_Gearhertz on February 03, 2009, 09:21:45 PM
Nothing, Newport and Cardiff would be under water and the Usk would be a channel instead of a river right up to Usk itself, but I'm high and dry, even on a +14.

only the city centre of Cardiff would be under...where i live in cardiff would suddenly become beachfront property! ;D
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

I work about 5-10 minutes walk from the Thames in London. If there was suddenly a 14m sea level rise whilst I was at work, I'd still be about 5-10 mins walk from the water! I knew I was on a hill, but I'd always thought of it as more of a gentle slope!
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I'm 60 metres above sea level (Cue an american to say "Hah! I'm 600 metres above sea level!" ::)) So when you're all swimming, I'll be at the seaside  ;D

dr490nw4rri0r

Quote from: Monti Christo on February 03, 2009, 05:18:52 AM
Quote from: dr490nw4rri0r on February 03, 2009, 04:01:12 AM
Quote from: Monti Christo on February 02, 2009, 03:52:16 AM
Quote from: JingleJoe on February 02, 2009, 03:41:29 AM
Well you see the difference here is that you obviously live at the North pole and we live in Mildland, so this kinda snow here, is really quite snowing!

Actually, I live in that part of Canada that sticks down into the U.S., surrounded by the great lakes. If you draw a straight line around the world to Europe, I'm at the same level as the south of France/ Northern Italy.

Therefore you, sir, are much closer to the north pole than I.
I live around there. In a lovely little corner of boredom hell known as London, Ontario.
Hello place that was supposed to be the capital of Canada instead of that silly place called Ottawa.

Then we're practically neighbors. I moved from London a year ago, but still live along the Thames. Actually, I was in London on Friday.
Is that so? Well Hello fellow Londoner!
I'd rather like to get out of here, myself. London is, as can likely be gathered from my previous statement, not quite my ideal town. There's a little place in Argyll, Scotland I'd like to move to called Dollar, though I rather doubt that opportunity will arise within the next 10 years.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sgt Whats his name

Quote from: James Harrison on February 02, 2009, 02:49:12 PM
Photo of my back garden not 15 minutes old. 

Spoiler: ShowHide

Snow's about 3-4 inches deep and the little corner of sky visible heralds nothing but still more of the cold white wet stuff. 

Here in Massachusetts we call that....

Early November  ;D

or maybe,

last Tuesday   :D

Survivor of

Blizzard of 78
http://www.marydyer.net/images/blizzardof78.gif

Blizzard of 93
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site515/2008/0127/20080127__0944438400_001_REMEMBER0127_212320~2_500.jpg

April Fools blizzard
http://www.theflatusshow.com/FLATUS/April1-1997-1.jpg

Blizzard of 05
http://image34.webshots.com/34/9/34/2/257593402YaJMWO_fs.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen of the UK.
you have just experienced what we colonials refer to as A "dusting" or , a Minor Snowstorm.

We are currently in the middle of a 3 to 5 inch "snow fall" and they didn't even cancel school for the kiddies today. ;)
Have Gun,
Will Travel !

Sgt Whats his name

Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on February 02, 2009, 05:39:03 PM
You dirty buggers! It won't even consider snowing here! Snow removals my only source of income right now  :-[

That and I like snow, for the most part. But after those first six months it does get kind of old... "Summer in Banff is two months bad skiing."  ::)

That my Northern cousin is becaue Canada only has two seasons.
Winter, and July!   ;D
Have Gun,
Will Travel !

S.Sprocket

you island folks had a mini ice age in the 1500's and in the 1800's.  I'd just stick to the steampunk style (or the renaissance style) of dress and you'll be fine :)

Right about now, I bet you wish you had more coal? :)
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

Professor Fzz

Quote from: Sgt Whats his name on February 04, 2009, 12:42:44 AM
April Fools blizzard

Blizzard of 05

you have just experienced what we colonials refer to as A "dusting" or , a Minor Snowstorm.

We are currently in the middle of a 3 to 5 inch "snow fall" and they didn't even cancel school for the kiddies today. ;)

I was living in Boston for the April Fools Blizzard, and happened to be visiting for the Blizzard of '05:

Quite entertaining it was too.

But the real difference is that Boston actually has snowploughs, whereas London only has gritting trucks because the most we're used to dealing with is a little frost.  Imagine eight inches of snow in San Francisco, and you get the general idea.
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

lady sakara

If California had the same snow that we had theyd react the same way....we havent had any real snow since 1987..then i remember digging out of the front door with my parents and having snow tunnels in the roads.

But since then weve had dustings..so have had no need for regular financing of snowploughs and such.. As someone in the Gov said...if theyd invested in loads on snowploughs etc and no snow happened..people would say..what a waste of money!
if we continue to get winters like this...then we are gonna need a snow system...as hey the littlest thing stops the public transport...so they dont need another excuse!
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Siliconous Skumins

Hmm, check that flooding map for my area, at 7m most of Dunston (Metrocentre included) and nearby areas will be flooded, some minor flooding of two local industrial estates. Other than that, nothing much happens. 
Middlesbrough is flooded badly......no great loss.  ;D

At 14m, Dunston becomes part of the river Tyne, as does Team valley ind. estate.  Other than that, nothing much changes from the 7m map (the river Tyne floods most riverside property though).  I will however, have a much clearer view of the Tyne from my house - though thankfully not TOO clear. :)

Most of Middlesbrough and Stockton sinks under the sea - borough property prices finally increase...  :D

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

garingling

Hey Brits. your snowstorm just made the nightly news here in the Washington D.C. area.
-Georgia
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

Nefthys

Quote from: Professor Fzz on February 04, 2009, 01:02:40 AM
Quote from: Sgt Whats his name on February 04, 2009, 12:42:44 AM
April Fools blizzard

Blizzard of 05

I was living in Boston for the April Fools Blizzard, and happened to be visiting for the Blizzard of '05:

Quite entertaining it was too.

But the real difference is that Boston actually has snowploughs, whereas London only has gritting trucks because the most we're used to dealing with is a little frost.  Imagine eight inches of snow in San Francisco, and you get the general idea.

Now that's what I call snow. We get that much here with a good snow storm!
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!

JingleJoe

I want the above photographed snow to come here :)

My pristine white hell melted :(
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.