Attention: Brits. We're all going to freeze to death in a pristine white hell.

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, February 01, 2009, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

Quote from: Sgt Whats his name on February 04, 2009, 12:48:51 AM
Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on February 02, 2009, 05:39:03 PM
You dirty buggers! It won't even consider snowing here! Snow removals my only source of income right now  :-[

That and I like snow, for the most part. But after those first six months it does get kind of old... "Summer in Banff is two months bad skiing."  ::)

That my Northern cousin is becaue Canada only has two seasons.
Winter, and July!   ;D

Actually, it's not called "July," it's called "road construction."
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

James Harrison

I'm almost slap bang in the middle of the country.  Even a 14 m rise leaves the seaside well over a two hours' drive away. 

I note, however, that a 5 m rise leaves my alma mater underwater- so I'll be a graduate of a university that's no longer extant.  Bizarrely however, most of the rest of the city is still dry at 14 m rise.  Lincoln could end up a port again... 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

groomporter

Quote from: von Corax on February 04, 2009, 06:25:59 AM
Winter, and July!   ;D

You dirty buggers! It won't even consider snowing here! Snow removals my only source of income right now  :-[

That and I like snow, for the most part. But after those first six months it does get kind of old... "Summer in Banff is two months bad skiing."  ::)

Winter, and July!   ;D

Actually the two seasons here in Minnesota are "road removal" and "Snow construction"
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Doctor When

It's an odd thing, this snow Catch 22 we're in.

When we get a couple of inches, most people seem to panic and batten down the hatches in some sort of siege mentality. To be fair, I've not had a problem getting into or back from work over the other side of Birmingham at all this week.

In fact, when it was supposed to be really bad on Monday night / Tuesday morning, I found the roads were virtually empty, and whilst I had to drive slowly and carefully I managed to get home fractionally earlier than my usual rush-hour journey.

It probably helps that Birmingham's roads are usually covered in strata of diesel, curry-flavoured vomit, cigarette packets and chewing gum. Admittedly, it was exciting on the side roads (or should that be "slide roads") back at home, but the major routes were clear of proper snow and merely bordered with that dirty grey slush we're very good at here.

The thing is, we don't really get this sort of "extreme" (yeah, right) weather very often... all you Former Colonials and people who live in countries with proper weather have the resources to deal with these conditions - we don't: If we spent as much on keeping the roads clear as, say, Canada, we'd probably have to shut some hospitals or schools... just for something that happens once every five years.

We British love our shoddy excuses for not going to work almost as much as the French love theirs.
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!

Haizea

I agree. Now all you others may snigger at us Brits for fretting over a minor snowstorm, but you ought to bear in mind that we have not had a snowstorm for the last 18 years. All we get is rain and the odd glimmer of sun. As such, we are not well-equipped to deal with this sort of weather.
That, and everyone just wants an excuse to stay off work.
Sealed with the kiss of swine,
The heavy fort falls to the flame,
Bone-rattled melodies and worm-laden rains.

Seaton Begg

The advantage of all this snow is that it fills up the pot holes in the roads :)

We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.

The Kernel

Nefthys

Winter, and July!   ;D

That sounds about right for where I am. All summer long it's just road after road of construction.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!

Mercury Wells

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Herr Döktor

Mercury Wells

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

MinistryOfTruth

My problem is that the snow melted before I got a chance to even fight a single duel in it.  Duelling in the snow has a certain élan about it, don't you think?  I take it everyone here has seen the end of Dangerous Liasons?

Der Tinkermann

Quote from: Lock on February 03, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
Quote from: garingling on February 03, 2009, 05:10:54 PM
Quote from: groomporter on February 03, 2009, 02:54:47 PM
People might get a chuckle out of this made by someone from here in Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM
I was highly amused by that video but as someone who lives on the east coast at about sea level there's a very good chance I'd be underwater.
-Georgia

Use this to see how long you have got:
http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=43.3251,-101.6015&z=13&m=7
tks
Lock
High and dry

well for me 1 mtr will be enough to get flooded........

lady sakara

Quote from: Herr Döktor on February 04, 2009, 07:07:54 PM
Actually, we've got thirteen working mines...

:)

ahhhhh coal...the black gold that gave Wales and Cardiff its wealth.
heres all the various mines in the UK..not all pure coal
http://www.minersadvice.co.uk/mining2000.htm

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

lady sakara

ah the usual weather of Wales camre back.....rain

and washed it all away. Saying that they say more snow is on the way tomorrow!
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Quote from: lady sakara on February 04, 2009, 08:35:05 PM
ah the usual weather of Wales camre back.....rain

and washed it all away. Saying that they say more snow is on the way tomorrow!
See we didn't have any rain. More snow tonight...  ;D Lots...
The music is reversable, but time...is not.

HettyB

Just want to thank everyone for the beautiful pictures of snow! :)

I really do love those pristine snow images.

Sebastian Gaunt

Don't look now, but the snow has come back, another few inches and Great Britain grinds to a halt once more *sigh* so much for the Empire!
Apparently those in power deem it cheaper to let the country grind to a halt than have an infrastucture in place to deal with it, I wonder how much longer they will think that, as the costs slowly clock up...
"The fastest way to travel is by Gaslight"

JingleJoe

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

garingling

Quote from: Sebastian Gaunt on February 05, 2009, 08:03:52 AM
Don't look now, but the snow has come back, another few inches and Great Britain grinds to a halt once more *sigh* so much for the Empire!
Apparently those in power deem it cheaper to let the country grind to a halt than have an infrastucture in place to deal with it, I wonder how much longer they will think that, as the costs slowly clock up...
I guess that depends on the average number snowfalls over the next several years and how much it impacts everything. Then just when they decide something needs to be done and they place the infrastructure there will be no more snow for another 20yrs. Opinion based on Murphy's Law. ;D
Quote from: The Abiliegh on July 09, 2009, 09:06:35 PM
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

James Harrison

We've got it again, but at the moment it's not quite as bad as earlier this week. 

On an alarming note, the council says it's running out of grit and 'doesn't know when the next supplies will be in'... :o
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Ancient Design

Indeed, in the London area, next Monday will apparently as boad or worse as last Monday, but there is no more grit!

Roll on the weather!
Lincoln Album 1
Lincoln Album 2

PM me if you would like any of these photo's printed and sent you you!

Sir A Poiselamppe

SteamBlast Mary

The whole "every 20 years" can be explained by the fact I was given a sledge for my 8th birthday and Nature decided never to grant me chance to use it. Then it doesn't snow again until I've moved somewhere with two hills in the whole flippin' county.

Quote from: MinistryOfTruth on February 04, 2009, 07:34:47 PM
My problem is that the snow melted before I got a chance to even fight a single duel in it.  Duelling in the snow has a certain élan about it, don't you think?  I take it everyone here has seen the end of Dangerous Liasons?

House of Flying Daggers springs to mind.
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'