Attention: Brits. We're all going to freeze to death in a pristine white hell.

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, February 01, 2009, 11:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herr Döktor

A couple of pictures from my perambulations today; firstly: this morning, on the usually very busy B382:

Still un gritted and un ploughed tonight, going to make going to work tomorrow... interesting.

Pyrford Common, once the haunt of Surrey pumas, now suitable for snow leopards:

Despite the apparent emptiness of these photos, there were lots of folk about, in fact, virtually everyone I passed bade me good day or engaged me in conversation, amusingly enough a Canadian family told me that they hadn't expected this!

groomporter

OH! if the Brits all freeze, can the rest of us Steampunks have the island?
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

George De Vraic

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on February 02, 2009, 10:49:53 PM
I'm in favour of both of these points. Particularly the second, although if your "Evil" freind still uses words like "Poo", you should have him sectioned and retrained.
Thank you Sir Nikolas, will do! Any news on which day we will freeze to death in a pristine white hell? I would need to fire up the Rejuvenater a few hours before actually dieing. Last time I died I forgot and it was a right royal pain in the rear, getting a new body.

Quote from: groomporter on February 02, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
I have made you a snowman, where shall I mail it?
"Voul-ous enne coupaïe d'thee?"

Professor Fzz

You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands first!  Oh, wait...
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

clockwork creation

I am a freak in control not a control freak

Derranged-Gadgeteer

Quote from: clockwork creation on February 02, 2009, 11:39:17 PM
i hate snow

Then don't come to upstate New York.

Having lived in North Carolina for a fistful of years, We don't shut down for just a tiny bit of snow, because we don't get a tiny bit of snow.  We get ice, and lots and lots of ice.  It may come from the sky all white and fluffy, but before you can say "school's out" it melts into a half-frozen slush which then in turn freezes the rest of the way.  Coating EVERYTHING in between 1/4 and an inch of ice.  Power lines, Trees, cars, roads, houses, you name it.  Power goes out, cars crash, babies die, and STILL people manage to make it to Wal~Mart to shop. :-\   

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.

Danbury Shakes

Quote from: Professor Fzz on February 02, 2009, 11:04:12 PM

You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands first!  Oh, wait...

So thats a "Bring your own Crowbars" party - oh and avoid the landmines

Alexander Edmund Clough

So God Save the Queen, 'Cause anything is possible for a man in a top hat with a monkey with a monocle!

electroginge

I live in a culdesac that ends at the bottom of a hill, rendering escape impossible! had to put my goggles on to run to the post office! ;D

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

Quote from: Herr Döktor on February 02, 2009, 10:53:15 PM
A couple of pictures from my perambulations today; firstly: this morning, on the usually very busy B382:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Still un gritted and un ploughed tonight, going to make going to work tomorrow... interesting.

Pyrford Common, once the haunt of Surrey pumas, now suitable for snow leopards:

Despite the apparent emptiness of these photos, there were lots of folk about, in fact, virtually everyone I passed bade me good day or engaged me in conversation, amusingly enough a Canadian family told me that they hadn't expected this!
That's 'cause we go places to avoid the snow in winter!

You're neck of the woods looks absolutely beautiful, Herr Doktor. My tobogan and I are jealous.
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

electroginge

Quote from: Sean Patrick O-Byrne on February 03, 2009, 01:09:17 AM
You're neck of the woods looks absolutely beautiful, Herr Doktor. My tobogan and I are jealous.

theres some pristine stuff on my hill, but you'll never leave once you get to the bottom :P

garingling

Quote from: electroginge on February 03, 2009, 12:38:06 AM
I live in a culdesac that ends at the bottom of a hill, rendering escape impossible! had to put my goggles on to run to the post office! ;D
It's not a snow emergency until they close the post office ;D
Quote from: The Abiliegh on July 09, 2009, 09:06:35 PM
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

lady sakara

See snow to us here is te best talking point.the brits love to talk about snow and its as rare as good sunshine these days here.
The problem with britian is we are never prepared for any weather...the slightest downturn and we collapse..it is pathetic, but our cars are not allowed to have spiked tyres like in the US,Canada, Russia etc.or put chains on the tyres anymore...due to insurance i think  ::)

people arnt used to snow..we dont have it often enough in most of the country to have regular preparations for it, past salting roads. Whereas i know people in Alberta that have heaters outside to keep their engines on their cars from freezing, or they have to leave their offices every hour to turn the car engine over...

so please forgive us our crazyness over a few inches of snow...im sure we'll find a different weather to talk about later!  ;)
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

dr490nw4rri0r

Quote from: Monti Christo on February 02, 2009, 03:52:16 AM
Quote from: JingleJoe on February 02, 2009, 03:41:29 AM
Well you see the difference here is that you obviously live at the North pole and we live in Mildland, so this kinda snow here, is really quite snowing!

Actually, I live in that part of Canada that sticks down into the U.S., surrounded by the great lakes. If you draw a straight line around the world to Europe, I'm at the same level as the south of France/ Northern Italy.

Therefore you, sir, are much closer to the north pole than I.
I live around there. In a lovely little corner of boredom hell known as London, Ontario.
Hello place that was supposed to be the capital of Canada instead of that silly place called Ottawa.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monti Christo

Quote from: dr490nw4rri0r on February 03, 2009, 04:01:12 AM
Quote from: Monti Christo on February 02, 2009, 03:52:16 AM
Quote from: JingleJoe on February 02, 2009, 03:41:29 AM
Well you see the difference here is that you obviously live at the North pole and we live in Mildland, so this kinda snow here, is really quite snowing!

Actually, I live in that part of Canada that sticks down into the U.S., surrounded by the great lakes. If you draw a straight line around the world to Europe, I'm at the same level as the south of France/ Northern Italy.

Therefore you, sir, are much closer to the north pole than I.
I live around there. In a lovely little corner of boredom hell known as London, Ontario.
Hello place that was supposed to be the capital of Canada instead of that silly place called Ottawa.

Then we're practically neighbors. I moved from London a year ago, but still live along the Thames. Actually, I was in London on Friday.
"Well a process man am I and I'm tellin' you no lie
I work and breathe among the fumes that tread across the sky
There's thunder all around me and there's poison in the air
There's a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair" -Great Big Sea

Seaton Begg

More snow overnight and this morning (Hampshire). No chance of driving off the drive let alone to work, so i'll be 'working from home' today :)
We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.

Siliconous Skumins

Seems to have completely washed away during the night, around the Newcastle area. Snow replaced by rain...  :-\

SS
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

James Harrison

We've had another half inch or so overnight (what happened to the forecast three inches!?!) Now the sun's out but it's still cold enough for brass monkeys to scream and the forecast says 'foggy'.  Hmm. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

The sun came up this morning, as it usually does, and burned all hte snow away. There's some left in shady areas, but that's about it.

The Kernel

Seriously dissapointing,
I dressed for SNOW (boots, hiking trousers etc) and there's nothing left.
One of the admin staff at work suggested it was "dress down Tuesday" having seen me.
Driving off to the conference in about 2 hours so we'll see what the M6 is like.
(overall we had much more snow two weeks ago than we have had in the last 2 days)

Professor Fzz

Today the sun came out, and very pretty it is too.  I even caught a rogue snowman, creeping up on some unsuspecting deer.

Larger versions are here.
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

groomporter

People might get a chuckle out of this made by someone from here in Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM

By the way, make sure your wills and body donation forms are in order for the mad scientists or occultists ;-) waste not want not for all those frozen "parts"
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Mr Bellows

Well after being pelted by snowballs from a group of chavs on the way to pick up my children from school & then have another group of the buggers building a "snow-wall" in front of my door at 20.45 before knocking on my door so I opened the door to an avalanche I can honestly say I've had enough of this weather !!
Oh & the roads have all cleared round here so the "speed-freaks" are speeding their merry way towards a prison sentence again *sighs* some things never change  >:(
Bring on the revolution, at least then I could shoot a few of them  :D
In my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters

bizarre_chicken

The snow... it's gone...

All we have left from a blanketing of gorgeous, perfect snow is an icy sludge. D:

Click here for win. ---^

electroginge

It's all still here up in Yorkshire...

see!

View big versions here along with some other stuff :P  http://electroginge.deviantart.com/