News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Master Pocketwatch Thread

Started by Metal Head, April 23, 2007, 04:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Francis Cleverly

Darn you Harold and your beautiful-shiny time pieces (and nice pictures).
Nothing.

HAC

The GCT isn't mine... was provided as an example.. I almots had a GCT a while back, but the trade fell through...
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

oskila

I finally remembered to take pictures of my watch while daylight's available :)

A set of four pics, showing the movement, back cover, front and watch with matchbox for size reference
Spoiler: ShowHide

a pic showing where it's obviously broken or damaged. Even I can tell that a spring shouldn't look like that. The cracks in the cogwheel are probably my fault since I remember winding it when I was about seven. I'm 25 now and realised unwinding was possible just a month ago  :-[
Spoiler: ShowHide

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

Prof. Brockworth

A surprise was lurking inside that cheap brass watch I was so gung-ho for.  Isn't that movement rather small

Well, yes, it turns out that it's a little Camy wristwatch movement in a pocketwatch case - here's one in a fake Vostok:

Unfortunately it's already being a bit stop-starty, so the poor thing may yet become jewelery.. :(
Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...

the Hat

Here's my pocket watch. Not a good picture, I know, but the camara is pretty bad.

[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Lady Almira

Here is one of mine, I have quite a few. I collect antique pocketwatches. This one is probably the least valuable/nice out of the collection though.
http://hmschronabelle.deviantart.com/
Time Travel: The answer to all of life's little dilemmas.
Minister of Foreign Affairs (Lethal and Non-Lethal) of fair Victoriana.

Sir Theodore Catchpole

KatarinaNavane

Quote from: Almira on September 03, 2007, 03:12:25 AM

Here is one of mine, I have quite a few. I collect antique pocketwatches. This one is probably the least valuable/nice out of the collection though.

I very nearly bought one that looked almost exactly like that one.  I remember because the hands were so spiffy looking. It didnt' work though, and I really want a working one. I'm getting this one that I'm sure several people have posted already--  http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001286.php

I also have (kinda) this old one.  It's still technically my dad's (he inherited it from some relative i never met) but I'm the only person with any interest in it (even tho it doesn't work), so he'll probly give it to me at some point.

and it's innards--

KatarinaNavane

Quote from: Yuri on July 26, 2007, 11:55:32 PM
Gorey's Alphabet runs through my mind at the MOST inappropriate times.

Still... the best is

"Every night, father fills me with dread
as he sits at the edge of my bed.
Its not cause he speaks in gibbers and squeaks,
but for seventeen years he's been dead."

Granted, that's probably not 100% accurate, but its close!

v/r Yuri

My favourite will always be The Doubtful Guest. 

Markus Stratus

Quote from: KatarinaNavane on September 05, 2007, 11:42:08 PM
I got my watch today ^______^

Get a picture of it! ^.^

So on Thursday the 7th I got a LARGE amount of watch pieces and tools and books. everything from spring bars to balance wheel washers, and "MAGNA-FLUX INSTANTANEOUS DEMAGNIFIER" to a crystal remover. Hmmm I'll get some pictures and more information up later. Alot of it looks to be from the '60's or later.
So I'm wondering, is all this worth anything still? can these parts still be used? Or should I just use it incorporated into Steampunk jewelry? o.0

Mark
As Above, So below.

HAC

The answer is - it depends... The tools and books are always useful, (wait until you see the crystal lift, its an odd device)..
As for the parts, the biggest thing is what movements they are for. If they are are for common ones, there are probably tons of them around, so you could either flip them, or use them as you see fit. If they are for vintage of uncommon movements, they are worth more, due to their scarcity, I know my watch fellow has nor problems paying more for that hard-to-find part..

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

Lady Almira

@Katarina: Ooh, that's a pretty one. I hope that you get it soon.  :o

KatarinaNavane

Quote from: Markus Stratus on September 08, 2007, 06:42:39 AM
Quote from: KatarinaNavane on September 05, 2007, 11:42:08 PM
I got my watch today ^______^

Get a picture of it! ^.^

So on Thursday the 7th I got a LARGE amount of watch pieces and tools and books. everything from spring bars to balance wheel washers, and "MAGNA-FLUX INSTANTANEOUS DEMAGNIFIER" to a crystal remover. Hmmm I'll get some pictures and more information up later. Alot of it looks to be from the '60's or later.
So I'm wondering, is all this worth anything still? can these parts still be used? Or should I just use it incorporated into Steampunk jewelry? o.0

Mark

It's the same Charles Hubert one from The Gentleman's Emporium that several people have already shown us. 
This one:  http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001286.php

Vienna Fahrmann

My high-tech husband was commenting that pocketwatches are making a comeback in his field because not wearing a wristwatch band decreases the probabliity of repetitive wrist/hand injuries for those who type on keyboards all day.  He has quit wearing a wristwatch himself & uses his cell phone as his "watch".

Vienna

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on September 13, 2007, 08:05:34 PM
     My high-tech husband was commenting that pocketwatches are making a comeback in his field because not wearing a wristwatch band decreases the probabliity of repetitive wrist/hand injuries for those who type on keyboards all day.  He has quit wearing a wristwatch himself & uses his cell phone as his "watch".
Interesting!  I like that looking down towards your belt or pocket has become the standard time-checking move once again, after nearly a century of wrist-glancing.  Hmm, everyone still taps their wrist to indicate a time-related message though.  How did folks silently say "you're late" before wristwatches?  Tap your vest pocket?
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Bobby_Brazil

Quote from: Metal Head on April 23, 2007, 04:19:08 AM
I have had my eye on this little gem for a long time, and it is well within my price range.

It is only $3.50+$8.00 shipping. If you can beat that, then let me know so I can stop drooling over this one and start drooling over that one.
at that price you could even buy me one
Listen for the unsaid, while believing the unseen

Russandol

Here's mine:

It needs some polishing I know but I just discovered it. I know it belonged to my great grandfather but I don't know where he got it from, nor how old it is (but since he died more than 60 years ago it should be quite old). It says Helvetia on it though so I guess it comes from Switzerland..

Lewis Steels

Greetings Gentlemen, seeing as its sharing time I figured I should show off mine.

Now mine is just a standard Quartz but I think it looks nice. However when I bought it it had this ghastly horse engraving on the front, so after taking off the front of my old and now broken Quartz (ahh, so reliable, but impossible to repair) I switched it over. I'm now particularly proud of it, and wear it daily.

So without any further adieu.

This is a basic front view, notice the sexy windowed front I put on. :)

And a picture of it open.

And finally, that old ghastly horse front. I'm sure you will agree, it had to go.

No pictures of the back open as its a battery quartz, they all look the same, white plastic and a battery.

Oh and I'd like to point out the watch is silver, but my lamp shines yellow light and my camera is sub standard, c'est la vie.

Lewis Steels - Amateur Tinkerer

The Infernal Mr Adams

Actually I might have to disagree, I think the horse engraving looks quite dashing and VERY Victorian. Of course it is your watch.... ;)
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

KatarinaNavane

Quote from: The Infernal Mr Adams on September 26, 2007, 07:46:45 AM
Actually I might have to disagree, I think the horse engraving looks quite dashing and VERY Victorian. Of course it is your watch.... ;)

Yes, I kinda liked the horse as well.  But to each his or her own, I suppose.

Lewis Steels

Wasn't really my cup of tea. I much prefer the windowed front with roman numerals. Contemplating what to do with it now, it will probably be discarded into my bits box along with all the other odds and ends.

Lewis Steels

Yesterday I went up into town to a charming little watchmakers and acquired one of these little gems.
Its a Silver Plated Fox and Simpson Half Hunter 17 Jeweled Mechanical Pocket Watch. (thats a mouthful)
Quite beautiful too, has 12 hour Arabic Numeral display, with small 24hour clock face on the left and Sun/Moon phase on the right. Winds with the shaft as well so no need to carry around a key. Very happy with it.

Some pictures:

Lady Almira

Okay. Be prepared for A LOT of pictures.  ;D
I collect antique pocketwatches, here are five from my collection:

Here is a better view:

Here are the backs of a few of them:

And the insides, of course:

And one of them has a key to wind it!:

Lewis Steels

A stunning little collection Lady Almira.