News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Master Pocketwatch Thread

Started by Metal Head, April 23, 2007, 04:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFats

Because I do so love showing off my watch at any moment, here is my daily watch:

According to Mr. HAC, (once again, thank you):

Quote from: HAC
"I would suggest that this is an eraly Illinois, Model 3, fifth pinion, lever set, 17 Jewel with coarse train, manfactured in 1880."

I just recently purchase a lot of 6 watches off of the wonderful auction site ebay, for $100 U.S. They are working save one. I shall post photos of them as soon as I receive my bounty.
Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer

okoshima

Ok I got the watch today, and I took some pic's for you guys (taken with phone).

Ok a few of the watch and chain (was supplied with the watch) not sure what its made from.

Now some close ups.

Front

Back

And with my cheap battery hunter style ebay watch

sorry for lots of pictures but I hope you enjoy!

veggiecar300

Be sure to lookin in on the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors for all kinds of information on all things horological.

Also, they have frequent marts where great stuff can be got at a reasonable price!  The NAWCC is actually an international organization, and you might even find one in your locale.

Here is a link: http://www.nawcc.org/

Every serious clock and watch collector I know knows about and is a member of the NAWCC!

Kabuki

Quote from: NazT on July 25, 2007, 06:52:17 AM
I've just taken an old (but fairly common) pocket watch that I bought on ebay (glass broken, face scratched slightly, gold plating worn on the back, and runs too quick) into a watch repairers (Butlers of Cheltenham UK) and to get a new glass (NOT plastic!) and the balance spring fixed it cost about £30!  Well the watch only cost me £10 from ebay so I now have a worn but stunning watch that hasnt lost a second in the last 5 days! 

Well shoot.  For that kind of price, I could have paid to send my Bourquin to your watchmaker.  The guy I gave it to has had it for over a month, and when I called today, he said that it would still be next week before he was done with it.  It had to have one of the jewels on the balance staff replaced, a new main spring, and general cleaning and servicing done, which is going to be about $165! *sigh*  So that brings my total investment on this watch to $340.  Not exactly what I was expecting.
The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b

Major Francis Cleverly

I just posted about my new watch here.
Nothing.

Yuri

Gorey's Alphabet runs through my mind at the MOST inappropriate times.

Still... the best is

"Every night, father fills me with dread
as he sits at the edge of my bed.
Its not cause he speaks in gibbers and squeaks,
but for seventeen years he's been dead."

Granted, that's probably not 100% accurate, but its close!

v/r Yuri
Where you start doesn't determine how far you will go - the people who believe they can, and the people who believe they cannot, are both right.

Jacob Squirrel

While shopping around for one of my own I spotted some very high quality watches of this nature over at The Gentleman's Emporium. For anyone who is also in the market for one I highly suggest it, these are all the ones that are available at the Emporium.

$80 (Link)

$85 (Link)

$85 also (Linkage)

Finnaly, for a staggering $300 (Link)
"Madness is never to far away."
     -Jim Carrey

oskila

I have a question about my pocket watch. As far as I can tell the outer parts are made of silver plated brass. The letters A.A. on the back suggests that it belonged to my great grandfather who died 1946ish.

This is what I want to know: What does Ancre ligne droite mean? Is that the manufacturer?

curious!
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

Lurker

Quote from: oskila on July 28, 2007, 02:03:17 AM
I have a question about my pocket watch. As far as I can tell the outer parts are made of silver plated brass. The letters A.A. on the back suggests that it belonged to my great grandfather who died 1946ish.

This is what I want to know: What does Ancre ligne droite mean? Is that the manufacturer?

curious!
A shadowy character approaches:
"I wonder? Maybe this will help you out a little;
http://www.antiques-internet.com/colorado/awusa318/dynapage/IP260.htm "

Quebrith

from: http://www.europastar.com/europastar/watch_tech/nicolet8.jsp

"The lever escapement was the invention of the Englishman, Thomas Mudge (1715-1794). In its current form, it is shown in Figure 4. The wheel comes to rest on an intermediate part called the lever. In French, it is called ancre (anchor) because it looks vaguely like a boat anchor."

from: http://www.ozdoba.net/swisswatch/pocket_gloss_text.html

"Ligne droite" is sometimes found on the case of a watch where escape-wheel, pallets, and balance are in a straight line as, e.g., in the Swiss lever escapement. Contrary to this design, the escape-wheel is at right angles to a line between pallets and balance in the English lever escapement ("ligne rectangulaire").
~.~ Capt. Quentin Quebrith ~.~

oskila

I see!

thanks Lurker and Quebrith.

I shall have to whip out the loupe and search for manufacturer stamps or whatever they use then. I want to know who made the watch :)
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

oskila

Hmmz...

I found a small imprint on the inside of the back cover and a similar one on a part of the movement (could be what wikipedia says is a bar. I don't even know what these parts are called in Swedish...). The imprint, or engraving or whatever :) reads GF or possibly CF and is framed by an oval shape. Could this be some sort of manufacturer's signature or similar?

Robotguy

I received a mosquito bite beneath my wrist watch the other day, and decided it was the perfect excuse reason to buy a pocket watch. Being the impatient person that I am, I could not wait to buy a nice mechanical specimen, so I grabbed the first pocket watch I found, namely a Coleman from Target:

Then today I was at Wal-Mart looking for a shade structure when I decided to check the watch section. Lo and behold, they had 3 different models on sale for $8 each!

I know they are cheap-o with a capital CHEAP, but they are so pretty, and my daughters are now hooked. The covers are noticeably thin and all of them feel lightweight, but maybe I can rip out the quartz Japanese movements and insert something steamier.

I look forward to replacing them soon with a nice quality mechanical watch.
Don't anthropomorphize your steam automatons: They hate that.

HAC

would it be of value if I took my notes and textbooks and put together a "reader's digest' version of how they work, perhaps with a bit of history, and some general info (i.e, what are jewels, adjustments,etc)? Could include soem decent diagrams as well...
Let me know...

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

Johannes Ghee

Ahem.

Words have power. We have all experienced this in one form or another. Words also have the potential for selective power. What may be mundane scribbling to one person may be life-changing to another. Sir, what you have so nonchalantly suggested is, to the denzines of this humble forums, Big.

Please, please go ahead and make this digest. We will await it with bated breath.
"Don't forget to use a reasonable amount of caution should your hobby be one that is dangerous. Your wife doesnt want you to be 'funky' but she has a right to expect you not to take undue risk in your auto car, bicycle or flying machine."
'Dont's' For Husbands 1913.
"Menace him, you idiot!"

MrFats

Really sir? Would you be so kind? Of course, i cannot speak for everyone, but I feel that would be wonderful!
Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer

okoshima

why yes please sir, It would be an interesting read for me, and many others here

ironwood

That would be great.  I have always had an interest in watches especially since I have my grandfathers pocketwatch.

Thank you very much.
One man's (insert word) is another man's SteamPunk.

HAC

I'll get started.. PDF format, probably as thats easy for me to create. I'll include some basic info how to date your watch (ie. serial number ranges for the more common American brands, ect)

Might take me a while, fair bit of typing/scanning to do. I'll post updates as they happen..

Cheers
Harold

anjin

very very good, I am interesting too. Will you release the material with a free license or  not?
--
Anjin
"un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara
a navigare"
www.anjinart.com
http://anjinart.blogspot.com

HAC

Free for personal use, no distribution for profit without permission, that sort of thing...

Cheers
Harold

Aurelia Batchelor

That would be invaluable!  Please and thank you!

Alderman Simeon

What an excellent notion. Great shall be your reward in heaven.
Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.

Dr von Zarkov

Quote from: HAC on July 29, 2007, 05:49:40 PM
Free for personal use, no distribution for profit without permission, that sort of thing...
Would you consider a Creative Commons license?
"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

HAC

Good idea.. That should fit the bill nicely, I had though something along the GNU GPL, as I'm pretty  used to that.. Creative Commons it is...
Cheers/Thanks
Harold