News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

How to make Mechanical Iris Diapraghms?

Started by heavyporker, May 02, 2007, 12:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandos

Not that I can think of any particular purpose for this, but I wonder how hard it would be to make an elliptical iris, rather then a circular one?

Mike Scanlon

Darksmith

I don't think that an eliptical one would work all that well just because when you turn the actuating ring it seems like it would put too much tention of both rings, and also the all the pins. Maybe if the actuating ring was flexible some how so it would follow the path of the base plate, it would be able to rotate enough to open the blades.

Granted this is all just based on my thinking about this in my head, and I could very well be wrong. I'm definatly intreuged by the thought of an eliptical ring though.
Strike while the irons hot

Obadiah Askew

Quote from: Darksmith on May 03, 2007, 04:04:08 AM
I don't think that an eliptical one would work all that well just because when you turn the actuating ring it seems like it would put too much tention of both rings, and also the all the pins. Maybe if the actuating ring was flexible some how so it would follow the path of the base plate, it would be able to rotate enough to open the blades.

Granted this is all just based on my thinking about this in my head, and I could very well be wrong. I'm definatly intreuged by the thought of an eliptical ring though.

Perhaps some sort of bicycle chain? i imagine that you could have gears at the top and bottom, ans use one or both to drive the chain. as to how exactly to provide power to said gears, I am not sure, but I am sure that someone, and likely several people on the forum could figure out a multitude of ways to make an elliptical iris work.

More pressing though, would be the shape of the fins/blades/fingers themselves. I imagine if we were to look to the various other iris shapes of other animals in nature, such as snakes or house cats with slitted irises.

-O.A.

Alastair Smythe

I think the most stylish expression of an iris would be as a secondary blast-shield on a set of suitably steampunk goggles.

It would look rather dashing, don't you think? o_Q
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  And it'll look really cool, too.

Obadiah Askew

Quote from: Alastair Smythe on May 03, 2007, 08:24:26 AM
I think the most stylish expression of an iris would be as a secondary blast-shield on a set of suitably steampunk goggles.

It would look rather dashing, don't you think? o_Q

Indeed Mr Smythe, it would be rather flash and bang to have a set of irises for when blackout conditions are required. Such as when trying to take a nap in a busy welding shoppe, although such is not recommended for anyone and said work shoppe would be much too noisy as well for most people to be able to sleep.
    -O.A.

heavyporker

I think I know exactly how to make an iris work on goggles. The turning ring could have an knurled edge so it would be easy to use fingers to turn the ring and open/close the iris. The goggle tubes could have pinholes drilled in, removing the need for another ring to hold the pins in place.
I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day

Alastair Smythe

Wouldn't you need 'slots' for the sliding pins?  Also, I think the main problem would be how you'd need lots of thin 'blades' in the iris, to hide it in the frame of the lens.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  And it'll look really cool, too.

Gadgeteer Extraordinaire

Perhaps a pair of tinted or polarized glass irises would look rather dapper?  One could use a layered iris and use tinted, 3d, or other sorts of lenses- even magnifiers to make a stellar set of optic-aids 8)

"He who breaks the old laws writes the new ones" -Nietzsche

Baron Verndorf

You know, all this talk about mechanical irisisisis (iri?), i want to see a ELECTRICAL IRIS!
You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.

heavyporker

Quote from: Baron Verndorf on May 03, 2007, 11:37:47 PM
You know, all this talk about mechanical irisisisis (iri?), i want to see a ELECTRICAL IRIS!

Firstly, it's irises. Secondly, electrical iris?! Are you referring to an electrically-actuated iris? Then you would still need the mechanical iris to attach an electrical motor to.
I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day

msr boatswain

bonsoir,

you can find a good example (?) of a nice use of diaphragms at this address:
http://www.imarabe.org/perm/ima/diaphragmes.html
it's used like "moucharabié" (?) there is a automatic command closing more or less with the light
all the wall use these diaphragms: a must see at Paris!
(some other pictures if you tape " institut du monde arabe" and after ask for pictures, on google)
"A man with one clock knows what time it is.
A man with many clocks isn't quite sure."

Baron Verndorf

Quote from: heavyporker on May 04, 2007, 03:43:58 AM
Quote from: Baron Verndorf on May 03, 2007, 11:37:47 PM

Firstly, it's irises. Secondly, electrical iris?! Are you referring to an electrically-actuated iris? Then you would still need the mechanical iris to attach an electrical motor to.

That was rather my joking point, 'mechanical iris' just seemed a bit redundant to me, but i didn't think it warented serius consern, so i made my jest, sorry, sometimes such things are difficult to convay through text like this.
You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.

Qwertz

For those who are both interested in incorporating irises (or irides) into various projects and flush with excessive quantities of cash money will find Edmund Optics to be possessed of a diverse catalogue of precision made units.  Their largest has a maximum aperture diameter of nearly 9 inches.  I am acquiring a pair of 42mm irises (max. aperture 25mm) to add as shutters on a set of brass goggles.

-Q

Doctor Trakov

I am still yet to construct my own goggles... :'(

Charles Raleigh

For those more inclined to purchase parts and combine--the diaphragms from microscopes are quite excellent for many purposes.  On USA ebay they range from 16-32 USD (search "iris diaphragm").  I am sure that with a bit of searching, you might could even find cheap used microscopes to dissassemble them from.  Just thought i would through this out here.

Link to ebay search:
ebay

Darksmith

The thought just popped into my head that an iris would make a great cover for a peephole on a door.

Someone comes knocking, the iris springs open with a great *shiunk* type noise to expose an eye staring out at the caller. The door swings slowly open.
Strike while the irons hot

pingoart

I couldn't help but post this other concept of irises. It seems to be much easier to build, i am even thinking about making a window for my room...
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artfeb07/pj-iris.html

Lilithgow

Darksmith, the only way that concept could be better is thus.

They approach, and ring your bell, sending a bellowing through the whole house.

Your tiny iris opens with a slightly-to-loud "SHUNK", and an eye examines you.

The iris closes.

The entire door, one huge iris opens.
"I am a wordsmith. I take the words available to me and shovel them into the furnace of literature."

pingoart

OK, i did it. Heres the Flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8393036@N07/sets/72157600236020826/
and the movie of the movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSHek0gdRM
I know it's not exactly good (i made some miscalculations...) but it think it works as a first prototype. I am now going to try diferent configurations, and see how can i get a bigger maximum aperture.
I'd apreciate any feedback on that, and would gladly help with whatever experience i got with this.

Ben Franklin's Electric Kite

Quote from: Qwertz on May 05, 2007, 06:56:58 PM
For those who are both interested in incorporating irises (or irides) into various projects and flush with excessive quantities of cash money will find Edmund Optics to be possessed of a diverse catalogue of precision made units.  Their largest has a maximum aperture diameter of nearly 9 inches. 

Call it an 'iris diaphragm valve' and you'll find bigger ones, as much as 18" across and strong enough to bear weight or make an effective werewolf-proof window-shutter. I've no idea what they cost, though, they're the sort of thing one buys when building a granery or some sort of factory that dumps powders or pellets around.

Mr. Boltneck

Iris diaphragms on goggles lead me to imagine a steam version of Zaphod Beeblebrox's peril-sensitive sunglasses.

Gazongola

Quote from: pingoart on May 21, 2007, 12:33:18 AM
OK, i did it. Heres the Flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8393036@N07/sets/72157600236020826/
and the movie of the movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSHek0gdRM
I know it's not exactly good (i made some miscalculations...) but it think it works as a first prototype. I am now going to try diferent configurations, and see how can i get a bigger maximum aperture.
I'd apreciate any feedback on that, and would gladly help with whatever experience i got with this.

Your video is set to private.

elShoggotho

Now I need one. A huge one. Time to buy sheet steel.

Affian

I just had the idea of using a circular cat door as a frame and putting the iris inside of it for a "peephole" in the front door... Think the wife will let me?
Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON