News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

How to make Mechanical Iris Diapraghms?

Started by heavyporker, May 02, 2007, 12:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derranged-Gadgeteer

Absolutely perfect my good sir!! I thank you profusely!

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.

Robo Von Bismark

No problem. What are you intending to make?

Derranged-Gadgeteer

A lid for my forge.

I plan to use metal parts to make plaster molds, from which I will slip cast the requisite parts in refractory.  I'll have them fired when I get back to school.  (We've got a/the world leading ceramics college) and I'll be sure to post videos and pics when finished.

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.

Robo Von Bismark

Quote from: Derranged-Gadgeteer on May 25, 2009, 07:36:30 PM
A lid for my forge.

I plan to use metal parts to make plaster molds, from which I will slip cast the requisite parts in refractory.  I'll have them fired when I get back to school.  (We've got a/the world leading ceramics college) and I'll be sure to post videos and pics when finished.

Please post the pics when finished, that sounds amazing. If you need the original CAD files just email me.

SimpleComplex

Mayhaps one could use the iris in a way, as to actuate the flow of lightening through the end of a blaster?
Or to concentrate the fire of a Wide-Beam blaster
"Rookie, who's arm is stuck in this gear?"
"That guys?" *rookie points at dead body missing arm"
"Correct, wait, there's really an arm in this gear?"
"Yea"
*rejoices*"I'm not crazy anymore!!"

Jasper Wyndham

Quote from: Darksmith on May 06, 2007, 05:04:20 PM
The thought just popped into my head that an iris would make a great cover for a peephole on a door.

Someone comes knocking, the iris springs open with a great *shiunk* type noise to expose an eye staring out at the caller. The door swings slowly open.

:D I chuckled as I noticed this as I was looking for how to build an iris, because that's exactly what they did on Prototype This!

You can kind of see it here, located in the "Lair," but you can't see it in action. I know there's a video of it working somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Project13

Quote from: Robo Von Bismark on February 27, 2009, 05:44:16 PM
Quote from: JingleJoe on February 26, 2009, 12:27:38 PM
Mr Bismark, would you happen to have any further information on the assembly of that iris? It's just the kind I was looking for ;D

I really need to scale down those pictures. Sorry about that folks

JingleJoe most of the info is here:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4ec7d5220eb53a13750e0f9050ca5257&topic=5079.15

If you need the original template file I created I can email it to you. Its EPS vector format, so its easily scalable in Illustrator, Coreldraw or AutoCAD.

The most important thing to get right is the shutters. I cut them from steel and brass shim (about 0.35" i think). The studs were made from nails that i hammered through the shim. This ensued a tight fit and a bit of support along the nail shaft. I then cut the nails at both ends, leaving about 5mm sitting in the hole. The 5mm nail was the pushed flush against shim face and a blob of epoxy putty smeared over the surface to secure it. This has to be smooth to ensure that the shutter works well. Also helps if you sharpen the edges of the shutters for a smooth action (a dremel tool is good for this).

When I do my simple two shutter "eye" version I hope to explain this better with pictures.

Dear Mr Bismark,
i LOVE your iris!!! i've been looking to make one for ages!!!
would it be possible for you to email me the template file as i can attempt to make an iris as good as your please?
Thanks
L
What's That Lassie??
Little Timmy Perched Ominously On The Edge Of A Cliff?
GREAT!!!
Grab The Camera, This Sh!t's Going On YouTube!

Robo Von Bismark

Quote from: Project13 on August 06, 2009, 10:29:53 AM
Dear Mr Bismark,
would it be possible for you to email me the template file as i can attempt to make an iris as good as your please?
Thanks
L

I was going to send you a PM but there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can attach a file. I also tried to upload the files to Photobucket and provide a link, but it only takes image files (not vector art).
Send me an email address and I will send the files directly to you.

Project13

Quote from: Robo Von Bismark on August 06, 2009, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Project13 on August 06, 2009, 10:29:53 AM
Dear Mr Bismark,
Thanks
L

I was going to send you a PM but there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can attach a file. I also tried to upload the files to Photobucket and provide a link, but it only takes image files (not vector art).
Send me an email address and I will send the files directly to you.

no worries thanks ever so much
email is louie0075@gmail.com

:) thanks ever so much!!!! i'll let you know how i get on

L
What's That Lassie??
Little Timmy Perched Ominously On The Edge Of A Cliff?
GREAT!!!
Grab The Camera, This Sh!t's Going On YouTube!

Spiritus

uhuhu, after i reinvent the wheel I find this thread with google  ::)

my 2 cents design in corel draw: http://www.steampunkworkshop.ro/images/iris.jpg I need an iris with an aperture of 100mm so yesterday I design my own but mabye some one else need it too.

also in pdf format, its al curves so can be inported in any vector program

http://www.steampunkworkshop.ro/images/iris.pdf

Professor Fzz

Nice.  But haven't you got the slots on the outer ring angled the wrong way?
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

Spiritus

dont know, I never design one before and I suck at searching plans on internet, but I think your right, because I was thinking the cover goes like this
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7919/iris2n.jpg
but I see your point because my outer ring is in the same position,I rotate the cover not the ring  ;D
Edited: you are right, I will modify soon
Edited again: I fix it, thanks for help
http://www.steampunkworkshop.ro/images/iris.jpg

Robo Von Bismark

Quote from: Spiritus on September 22, 2010, 10:01:54 AM
uhuhu, after i reinvent the wheel I find this thread with google  ::)

my 2 cents design in corel draw: http://www.steampunkworkshop.ro/images/iris.jpg I need an iris with an aperture of 100mm so yesterday I design my own but mabye some one else need it too.

also in pdf format, its al curves so can be inported in any vector program

That looks like a 20 blade design I saw on the web.

Movement is similar to the "Stargate" iris:

I drew up a basic CAD drawing but never made it

CptFancyBreeches

fantastic, can you email me the templates also?
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Fcimino

Quote from: Robo Von Bismark on February 26, 2009, 11:20:08 AM
I do like the idea of variations on irises, such as animal eyes. I am working on a simplified version of this earlier one I made. Using only two shutters instead of the twelve, Im hoping it will look like an almond eye

Those materials are taken from a camera lens??

mudslag

grr no edit button, anyway there are 2 different cad files with slightly different iris's in it

Captain Morgan Arkwright

Robo Von Bismark,

Just wondering, what sort of tools and materials did you use to construct your iris? I'm looking to make a pair and just wanted to know what the... tool cost would be for such a thing.

Thanks,

Captain Morgan Arkwright.

surfinbird

Quote from: Robo Von Bismark on March 17, 2009, 03:00:04 PM

This is the diagram i used for my twelve blade monoggle. It was traced from photos from the internet.

Robo Von Bismark and others,

After much searching on the net I found this thread and everything made sense. I used this image to build my own iris mock-up. However, I'm trying to make some changes in the dimensions. I was wondering if you have the vector/cad file for this and you don't mind sending it to me? my email is aboutthebirds [at] gmail.com.

Thanks in advance,

Al

mudslag

Quote from: surfinbird on February 17, 2011, 07:56:16 AM

After much searching on the net I found this thread and everything made sense. I used this image to build my own iris mock-up. However, I'm trying to make some changes in the dimensions. I was wondering if you have the vector/cad file for this and you don't mind sending it to me? my email is aboutthebirds [at] gmail.com.

Thanks in advance,

Al

look up 3 post  :)

surfinbird

Quote from: mudslag on February 17, 2011, 08:16:24 AM
Quote from: surfinbird on February 17, 2011, 07:56:16 AM

Thanks in advance,

Al

look up 3 post  :)

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was looking for the vector version of what Robo had posted (post 64 I believe). I have built that with paper and it works well, I just need to do some adjustments and don't want to screwup the location of the holes and curves by retracing the image. I've downloaded your cad files as well and will take a look at those as well. Thanks.

Regards,
Al

daewootech

cool, thread, heres a video of one that i made before using an early design from the shopbot forums, but i think it would be fun to transfer it over to thinner acrylic and made it more like the 20 blade design you guys have photos of

Mechanical Iris - 1st version

FightingDrag

just looked through all of this, its beautifull!!!   
=)

Dr von Zarkov

If you can be satisfied with a three-leaf iris shutter, Cardnetics offer the same as business and greeting cards. They may also be had as pre-scored, punch-out kits.

I'm not advertising for this firm, but suggesting a means to obtain a template from which one may construct card, polymer, or metal irises. One brass Sovereign to the steampunker who posts a usable pdf template!
"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

Joeynana

This has to be one of the more impressive iris constructions I've seen considering it's simplicity.
http://brassgoggles.org/forum/index.php/topic,24887.0.html
Blood sweat and tears went into this.
More blood than sweat.
More sweat than tears.