News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Fifty-Plus Club for SteamGeezers

Started by OldProfessorBear, May 29, 2009, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miles (a sailor)Martin

Made it into NM safly as I  mentioned elswere,only dear i saw was in daylight at the Texas/NM line.2100 miles in 50 hours from start time,not to bad especialy when you figure in 12 hours sleep, two sit down meals and four hours lost to replacing a wheel bearing set. :).  the only thing is the darn gas prices are climbing again. i hope i will have the cash to make it back to Md.                                      travelling Miles
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo

barb dwyer

It's crazy!

It's been a few years since I did that drive,
but I remember (I-40 fm GA to CA)
it was late night that the deer came up to the road.

Particularly around the Gallup, NM area.

Glad you made it!

Enjoy the heat!
*Relentless Optimystic *

MWBailey

Quote from: Miles (a sailor)Martin on July 18, 2011, 05:24:26 AM
Made it into NM safly as I  mentioned elswere,only dear i saw was in daylight at the Texas/NM line.2100 miles in 50 hours from start time,not to bad especialy when you figure in 12 hours sleep, two sit down meals and four hours lost to replacing a wheel bearing set. :).  the only thing is the darn gas prices are climbing again. i hope i will have the cash to make it back to Md.                                      travelling Miles

Miles, stop by Houston This weekend if it's not too far out of the way, for the Bayou City Oldtime Music Festival (July 21-23) (plug, plug, plug  :D).

Here's the Festival's website:
http://bayoucitymusicfest.com/
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Miles (a sailor)Martin

Sorry man, but I promised a old buddy that i would stop off in Denver,then i will be hopping I-70 and running east,til i run out of I-70 at Baltimore then it's up I 95 to Aberdeen . depending on fuel costs ,may run up to Cleaveland Ohio to see my mom's family. still have to finish 7 more items on the "Honey Do" list,before i leave,just wish it would rain a decent amount here,  one drop every twelve inches does not a rainstorm make.        Miles (the parched) Martin
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.

Miles (a sailor)Martin

Completed the honey do list last Saturday am,then went to a BBQ got to see most of my SCA household,Pulled out Sunday at 4pm for the run to Denver got in at midnight stayed a day then hit the road on Tuesday at 3pm,at Wednesday at 10:30pm i was50 miles from the Ohio.V. line and called it a night slept nine hours got up and drove on into Aberdeen,Md arriving at 6:30 (massed Idiot attack on the beltway around Baltimore delayed me by three hours). good run overall                   only saw three deer on the whole trip and one of those was in down town Raton ,MN. funny how that goes                            Miles (the well traveled Sailor)Martin 

The Squire

Quote from: Miles (a sailor)Martin on July 31, 2011, 09:38:22 PM
 only saw three deer on the whole trip and one of those was in down town Raton ,NM. funny how that goes                            Miles (the well traveled Sailor)Martin 

Raton? Dear brother, I am reminded of a Townes Van Zandt song:

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."

Miles (a sailor)Martin

I've driven through it in the middle of a snow storm once ,onetime  i chased one moving south,the stretch of I-25 from there down to Las Ve3gas,NM is really pretty after a snowstorm on a fullmoon night drive,just like the San Augustine Plains road outside of Soccoro,NM. Near the V.L.A. Railroad
                                           Miles

KABAR2

Last time I was in Raton was 1983..... I had worked down at Philmont two summers in 79 & 80 while attending Trinidad State Jr College in Colorado.... I doubt it has changed much..... if it's still there.... up on a  back road that used to come into town from Colorado before they put in the interstate there is an old closed Adobe "Welcome" station ....with a big sign saying "Welcome to New Mexico" the entire welcome station was behind a six foot chain link fence with Barbed wire along the top..... Were they trying to tell us something?
Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles

Sir Henry

May I offer my application form to join the esteemed Steamgeezers (I love that word) establishment? I suspect that I qualify as I was born in the 50's (just) and spend my time (when not creating deranged mechanisms of mahogany and bronze) curating the archive of the original Ginger Geezer ( as well as promoting the excessive use of brackets/parentheses).

Talisker, you say? (anyone for another one?)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

The Squire

Quote from: Sir Henry on October 30, 2011, 11:50:43 PM
Talisker, you say? (anyone for another one?)

Och, mon! Pour me a wee dram, if you please. (Sips the smokey gold) Aye, thaz guid!

Welcome, Sir Henry, to the SteamGeezers.
"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Quote from: Sir Henry on October 30, 2011, 11:50:43 PMI ... spend my time ... curating the archive of the original Ginger Geezer.

This I find intriguing. Is this curation in an official capacity, or are you (like several denizens of BG, including myself) a private admirer and collector of VS's work?

Please do elucidate...

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Sir Henry

It is official(ish) as I run http://vivarchive.org/ with a friend. We collect whatever we can by the great man, add it to the archive and then lend it out to members. It has to be members only, unfortunately, as his widow still dreams of the day he returns to fame and all the rarities become worth some wonga.

We have been producing a twice-yearly CD newsletter for the past few years, but lack of time and new discoveries means that the next will probably be the last (albeit on DVD as there will be too much for a CD). [The archive will continue, but newsletters will only be produced if some major creations resurface] And of course as soon as we decided that, a lovely old chap got in touch to say that he has cassette recordings of the very early years of the Bonzos, when they had a variable membership and played mostly covers of 20's/30's songs. So even 50 years on, new material is still surfacing, being digitised and spreading grins on wrinkled faces around the world.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Quote from: Sir Henry on November 02, 2011, 03:46:40 PM
It is official(ish) as I run http://vivarchive.org/ with a friend. We collect whatever we can by the great man, add it to the archive and then lend it out to members.

Ah! So you're one of the excellent chaps behind SHARE. Well done, that man.

QuoteIt has to be members only, unfortunately, as his widow still dreams of the day he returns to fame and all the rarities become worth some wonga.

It may not be worth too much monetarily right now, but Viv's work is priceless.
Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Lady Toadflinger

Dear me! Is everyone in this club asleep?! Come, come, fellow SteamGeezers, don't allow the youngsters to think us a bunch of old fuddy duddies! (Have I used enough exclaimation points to wake anyone up yet?) Well, I hereby apply for membership in the SteamGeezers Club. I think I qualify, as I have come to the age that callow store cashiers ask me if I qualify for the Senior discount.... Hmmmph.  (Actually, sometimes it comes in handy at thrift stores.)
This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!

Engineer

Awake and reporting for duty m'Lady

TVC15

I wasn't asleep. That noise you heard was not snoring. That was the gears in my head turning (or trying to). I find that napping is a much better way to recapture the rejuvenated spirit, plus, the still seems to put out more when not being hit on every moment.
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

barb dwyer

*Relentless Optimystic *

Capt. Dirigible

Wha..? Wossat?...Yes, dear! ..

oh..sorry.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Sir Henry

Welcome, Lady Toadflinger. I think that you will find that in this club the watchword is Quality rather than Quantity (though, as mentioned elsewhere, several of us are finding that we are of an age where we are increasing in quantity rather faster than we would like  ;) ).

I have been a trifle occupied lately playing a game of Count Today's New White Hairs in the mirror. By the speed of their arrival, it would appear that I am going through stressful times at the moment. As usual, I seem to be the last to know these things, but will happily continue to be blithely oblivious to the fact. And I haven't been called 'Young man' by a supermarket cashier for at least a week. :(

But each morning's perusal of the mirror brings the same exclamation: "White hair? At my age? How can it be?!" which then puts the spring back in my step as all the other male members of the family have been totally bald by the age of 30.  ;D

Eric T Paradigm

Not exactly sleeping, m'lady. Just hibernating through the winter.
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Lady Toadflinger

Well, there are a few alert geezers about, then! Good, good! Sir Henry, I have been playing Count Today's New Grey Hairs. I ruthlessly pluck out the white ones!Too many grey ones to pluck, don't ya know... Speaking of supermarket cashiers, I have been learning to keep my temper when addressed as Ma'am....(snarl, gnash teeth) Do you Gentlemen feel the same about "Sir"?  Young whippersnappers!
This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!

Uncle Arthur

After being a member here for months I finally looked in here! Wheeeee Steam geezers!
If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!

Eric T Paradigm

Quote from: Lady Toadflinger on February 18, 2012, 03:34:10 PM
Well, there are a few alert geezers about, then! Good, good! Sir Henry, I have been playing Count Today's New Grey Hairs. I ruthlessly pluck out the white ones!Too many grey ones to pluck, don't ya know... Speaking of supermarket cashiers, I have been learning to keep my temper when addressed as Ma'am....(snarl, gnash teeth) Do you Gentlemen feel the same about "Sir"?  Young whippersnappers!

I think it is splendid when young whippersnappers do call me "Sir". Doesn't happen often enough!
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

MWBailey

All too often, they call me "Sir" only to get me to move out of the way...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Uncle Arthur

Usually it is a traffic cop calling me sir. I'll pass.
If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!