News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Fifty-Plus Club for SteamGeezers

Started by OldProfessorBear, May 29, 2009, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Toadflinger

Ah! But do you pass safely, leaving enough room to miss oncoming traffic?! Perhaps that is why he is calling you Sir! I once had the bad judgement to pass a slow-moving RV when I was in a bit of a hurry. Unfortunately as I cleared it, a highway patrolman came around the next corner. OOPS! (there was plenty of room for me to get back into my lane) He turned around and pulled me over. When he came up to me, he told me that his life had passed before his eyes when he saw me in his lane.... So are they teaching drama to cops, now? (He neglected to call me Ma'am. Hmmmm.)
This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!

Sir Henry

I just noticed I seem to have been promoted to Senior Officer. Due mainly to this thread, it doesn't seem such an honour any more.  :-\

n.b. Though, for obvious reasons, I have never had a problem with people calling me 'Sir'.  ;)
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Rockula

So, today my membership becomes active.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Maets

Sir Henry

Many happy returns!

Do we have some kind of initiation procedure for youngsters who join? Other than a nice cup of tea and some cake, obviously.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.

Mr Addams

Happy Birthday Rockula.
I found out that It was yopur birthday when Facebook E-mailed me this morning. If I had known, I would Have drunk a Toast to you at Chatham.

Rockula

Lady Toadflinger

I'm sure we can invent some initiation rituals for new members..Muwhahahahahah! Something really evil-er-meaningful and relevant, I mean. Hmmmm....(give me time to think, these grey hairs sap the brain power, don'tcha know!) ;D

Rockula

Dear friends, associates, aquaintences, Ladies & Gentlemen.

I wish to thank everyone who offered thier condolences on the recent passing of my youth. The wake was held in an appropriate hostelry where much ale was supped in it's memory with the solid accompaniment of loud and raucous punk rock music played by some minstrels of my long time, sometimes criminal, association.

My future plans include the development of ideas for a mid-life crisis; although I have already proven conclusively that I cannot remain seated on a great big motorcycle, my wife would not condone nor approve of my obtaining a girlfriend half my age and I already have the recuisite tattoos and ear piercings.
I have also ruled out the growing of what is commonly known as a 'pony-tail'.

I intend to endeavour to percevere, keep relatively calm and panic only at sporadic and indefite intervals.

Thank you.

Sir Henry

I hear that a bout of middle age spread is quite the thing these days. Better still it requires little effort (the less the better) but an increase in enjoyment (the two may be linked).

And it's a damn fine reason to acquire some new waistcoats.

Who needs a six pack when you already have a firkin?

frances

My back is the same age as it always has been.  It is my front that is the problem.

Doctor Runes

SteamGeezers, Great Idea. Count me in.

MWBailey

Welcome sir! Help yourself to the Geritol Port...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Banfili

I'm in - a gentlewomen of restricted means needs a place to go that doesn't cost the earth!

Banfili

I have a birthday at Christmas with a '0' at the end, & it isn't 50!
Funny, I only feel about 35! ;D

Lady Toadflinger

Welcome! Perhaps, as a gentlewoman, you would care for some sweet Sherry and digestive biscuits? ( I've always wondered just what digestive biscuits are!)

Banfili

Thank you, M'lady! I do occasionally indulge in a sweet sherry, & I believe the digestive biscuits aid the digestion & help produce a healthy appetite - otherwise, just something cheesy to nibble, please.

Dave_G

Over 50, over here and .....now over to Dave for the weather............
The outlook is sunny..... scattered showers (as ever)......As anyone who was "old" enough to be a punk (or identify one) in the 1970's, have done "dangerours" things as an child (ie climbed trees, played conkers, ridden a bike with no brakes, etc etc)I think we have done jolly well to make it thus far  ;)
"Watcher of the skies.... watcher of all"

Banfili

I grew up a 'free range' kid & did all the usual things we mad rabbits did in those days, & without to many scars! Can't think of how many trees I climbed, or how far I walked on a paling fence to be best 'paler' in the neighbourhood. Didn't drown either myself or my younger brother in the brick pit, either!

Lady Toadflinger

Just think, we grew up without cell phones, and facebook!!!! (Gasp!!!)

Captain Braid

Quote from: Lady Toadflinger on May 10, 2012, 02:19:12 PM
Just think, we grew up without cell phones, and facebook!!!! (Gasp!!!)
And was it not wonderful.

3 Years and 7 months time will enable me to gain access to the first of my pensions.
(Govt interference notwithstanding!!!)
Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.

Rockula

Quote from: Captain Braid on May 10, 2012, 02:56:34 PM
3 Years and 7 months time will enable me to gain access to the first of my pensions.

I've only just turned 50 but was quite happy to realise that all three of my pensions come into effect in 10 years, all of them private, and none of them touchable by Government. If I also happen to get a state pension I'll just use it for beer. ;D

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Rockula on May 10, 2012, 03:20:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Braid on May 10, 2012, 02:56:34 PM

I've only just turned 50 but was quite happy to realise that all three of my pensions come into effect in 10 years, all of them private, and none of them touchable by Government. If I also happen to get a state pension I'll just use it for beer. ;D

The way beer prices go up each budget by the time your state pension kicks in it should be just emnough  each week to buy a solitary pint...then you can do that old geezer thing of nursing your one pint all night.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Banfili

I have a pension already, albeit a disability one (I lamed myself quite badly) & I think, I think that when I turn 60 (sooner than I'd like) it converts to an aged pension - who the hell is 'aged' at 60??

starjump

Hello, I am new to forum, and responding to Sir Henry's kind invitation to join the Steamgeezers.  Clearly, this is where all the good sense is!  :)
Ahh, pensions. I remember the days when I looked forward to getting one before I was too knackered to enjoy it....
Also remember growing up without mobile phones, computers and 24-hour a day tv. Climbed trees, fell in the nettles, went off all day on my bike and came home when it was dark and I got hungry. And read loads and loads of books!
Live your life with arms wide open