News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Non-steamed steampunk guns

Started by maze.rodent, June 11, 2009, 06:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiltingrose

S.Sprocket

Everyone should read the rules of the forum posted http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

No Firearms is clearly discussed.  I love guns, but we're just not allowed to talk about them here.. Too many arguments.

UPDATE:
Corrected and unlocked.

My fault.
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

Captain Lyerly

Hmmm... if I was going to choose a steamy revolver, I would go for the Montenegrin Gasser...

Or perhaps a suitably engraved Merwin and Hulbert...

Or even the Imperial Russian Model 1894 Nagant.

Much fun, and inexpensive these days.

Cheers!

Chas.
Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite

;D I like the dog on the M&H.
T.
Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.

JosephR

I have an original Sam Brown belt complete with flapped holster.  Unfortunately, the revolver I carry in it is a Colt 1917.

I think you'll agree that it has an excellent steampunkish look, but as the name implies it's just outside the bounds for this group.  

So I'll echo many others:

I have a pair of repro (Pedersoli) Colt '51 Navys and an 1874 Sharps in .45-70.  I'm still looking for a 12 ga. double barrel shotgun to complete the ensemble.

And just in case I need to repel boarders I have a half-pound swivel gun.

Joseph
"...having seen everything there is to see, including the botanical gardens, which seem to me likely to confer a great benefit on the country, and the new Houses of Parliament, which I expect will do nothing of the sort..." -Allan Quatermain

dr490nw4rri0r

good to see an early mention of the mauser pistol. there's something about a top loading pistol that attracts me, even if I'm not a big fan of guns.
How about the classic winchester lever action rifles?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

elShoggotho

A Winchester repeater is always fine. Maybe a howdah gun reloaded with a repeater lever like that?

JosephR

Quote from: elShoggotho on June 16, 2009, 01:52:30 AM
A Winchester repeater is always fine. Maybe a howdah gun reloaded with a repeater lever like that?
Goodness, how did I forget the howdah gun?  Years ago at a gathering of the Vintagers a gentleman was firing a 4 bore* double-barreled elephant rifle.  Apparently he forgot that on double guns, it is best to pull the rear trigger first.  He pulled the front trigger and as often happens, he accidentally pulled the second as well, sending half a pound of lead down range, knocking him heiney-over-teakettle whilst several thousand dollars worth of custom-built rifle went cartwheeling through the air.  They used to have a video of it on their website, but sadly it's been taken down.

*For those unfamiliar with the terms, "bore" and "gauge" are interchangeable, and go back to the days of muzzle loaders when the standard projectile for for any weapon, smooth or rifled, was a round lead ball.  Both refer to the number of balls that can be made from a pound of lead to fit the bore of the weapon in question.  For example, 12 gauge means one can make twelve round balls from a pound of lead.  Hence, a 4 bore gets only four balls to the pound.  For the mathematically disinclined, this means each ball weighs a quarter of a pound.
"...having seen everything there is to see, including the botanical gardens, which seem to me likely to confer a great benefit on the country, and the new Houses of Parliament, which I expect will do nothing of the sort..." -Allan Quatermain

elShoggotho

Quote from: JosephR on June 16, 2009, 01:54:52 PM
Quote from: elShoggotho on June 16, 2009, 01:52:30 AM
Goodness, how did I forget the howdah gun?  Years ago at a gathering of the Vintagers a gentleman was firing a 4 bore* double-barreled elephant rifle.  Apparently he forgot that on double guns, it is best to pull the rear trigger first.  He pulled the front trigger and as often happens, he accidentally pulled the second as well, sending half a pound of lead down range, knocking him heiney-over-teakettle whilst several thousand dollars worth of custom-built rifle went cartwheeling through the air.  They used to have a video of it on their website, but sadly it's been taken down.

*For those unfamiliar with the terms, "bore" and "gauge" are interchangeable, and go back to the days of muzzle loaders when the standard projectile for for any weapon, smooth or rifled, was a round lead ball.  Both refer to the number of balls that can be made from a pound of lead to fit the bore of the weapon in question.  For example, 12 gauge means one can make twelve round balls from a pound of lead.  Hence, a 4 bore gets only four balls to the pound.  For the mathematically disinclined, this means each ball weighs a quarter of a pound.
It's not advised to bring a punt gun to the range. Someone learned that the hard way. ;D

JosephR

Quote from: elShoggotho on June 16, 2009, 03:25:07 PMIt's not advised to bring a punt gun to the range. Someone learned that the hard way. ;D
OH yes!  One definitely needs a punt - or perhaps an airship - to absorb the recoil.

Then again, I can see one in the gondola of an airship  - fire it and the gondola goes spinning around the balloon!!  :D

elShoggotho

Quote from: JosephR on June 16, 2009, 03:32:16 PM
Quote from: elShoggotho on June 16, 2009, 03:25:07 PMIt's not advised to bring a punt gun to the range. Someone learned that the hard way. ;D
OH yes!  One definitely needs a punt - or perhaps an airship - to absorb the recoil.

Then again, I can see one in the gondola of an airship  - fire it and the gondola goes spinning around the balloon!!  :D
Maybe we should really adopt recoilless rifles and smoothbores as standard airship weaponry, just to avoid cartwheeling... or simply fire off both broadsides at once.

Captain Lyerly

Yes, some people think it a term from American Football - but if you had a 4 bore and were about to be overwhelmed by unfriendly gents with assegais, the best thing to do would be to... drop back five and "punt".

Pun-t intended.

;D

Cheers!

Chas.
Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: elShoggotho on June 16, 2009, 03:44:54 PM
Quote from: JosephR on June 16, 2009, 03:32:16 PM

Maybe we should really adopt recoilless rifles and smoothbores as standard airship weaponry, just to avoid cartwheeling... or simply fire off both broadsides at once.

Smoothbore guns are grand unless you're planning to hit something. I'm sure you know that rifling was developed to make a projectile spin, in order to cancel out imperfections and weight imbalances. So instead of being dragged off to one side, the projectile spins, keeping it centred on the original line of fire. The downside is that heavier projectiles can develop a loopy trajectory.

JosephR

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on June 20, 2009, 05:43:23 PMSmoothbore guns are grand unless you're planning to hit something.

That's why we load them with shot - you don't just hit something, you hit everything!  :)

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Tanuki

Here's my sidearm:
Spoiler: ShowHide

It's a .50 caliber Kentucky percussion, a smoothbore designed for deep-forest hunting. Fairly accurate for a smoothbore pistol, actually, owing to the long barrel. Front-heavy, though.
Untitled Steampunk rap album coming soon

maze.rodent

well, from a smooth-bore, you can either fire a musket ball (conicals would go end-over-end), shot, or very long, fin-stabalized projectiles too long for rifled bores (the m1a1 abrams tank has a 150mm smoothbore for this reason).  depleated uranium, discarding sabot, anti-airship round, anyone?

and back too ACTUAL guns, the subject of this thread, have any of you seen the "king kong" 2-bore?
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k255/szihn/English%20guns/2boreSept4.jpg

or this "145 year old One and a Half bore elephant gun"?
http://www.gracelandgunclub.com/images/elephant%20gun.jpg

as bad as the mass elephant hunting was, it spawned some cool guns

Tanuki

After a vest-pocket Derringer, this is the next pistol I'll be getting:

It's double-barreled, one side 20 gauge shot, the other .50 caliber ball. Designed originally for stopping tigers that would jump at hunters on top of elephants. It's like a sawed-off shotgun, PLUS a .50 cal. pistol... 8)

maze.rodent

Quote from: Tanuki on June 20, 2009, 11:21:21 PM
After a vest-pocket Derringer, this is the next pistol I'll be getting:

It's double-barreled, one side 20 gauge shot, the other .50 caliber ball. Designed originally for stopping tigers that would jump at hunters on top of elephants. It's like a sawed-off shotgun, PLUS a .50 cal. pistol... 8)

a howdah cape gun, interesting.  by all means a good, versitile choice.  and not to be rude, but i wouldn't call it a 'sawed-off', it doesn't sound as good as 'howdah pistol'.

my 2 cents (which, due to inflation, no longer matter, so call it what you will)

Tanuki

How's a mill for a groat, then?

Oh, most definitely the title of proper respect to such a firearm is Howdah Pistol. Perhaps even Mister Howdah Pistol, Sir.

maze.rodent

just my opinion, if you don't agree, fine. call it a sawed- off, i'm not going to argue or even comment on it again, I merely said that I wouldn't call it that.

i apologize for encroaching on your right to use your own terminology.  like i said, my 2 cents really isn't all too relevant.

Tanuki

Do you often become angry with those who agree with you? Or is this a bad day?

maze.rodent

sorry, i thought you were being sarcastic. ah well, such things come from a lifetime of sarcasm! no hard feelings?

Tanuki