News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Non-steamed steampunk guns

Started by maze.rodent, June 11, 2009, 06:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

-Karl

Captain

-Karl

Captain

-Karl

RJBowman

Here's one I'd never seen before:

Fagnus Revolver. Shoots 45s. Hinged frame opens for reloading.

urgolem

My very steampunk Irish percussion transitional revolver, developed from a pepperbox (a quite rare model) :

Mme. Ratchet

That one's really neat! Is it yours?

Melrose

A friend of mine (the same one for whom I did the costume sketches in http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49610.0.html ) holidayed last year in Italy. He sent me these photos,  after I pointed out some of the items in this thread to him. He tells me "the revolving musket and cannon are in the collection of the Doge's Palace, Venice; the others are in the Museo del Castello San Giusto (Museum of Saint Giusto Castle), Trieste, photographed by me." He also said I was welcome to share them here, so here they are, with his comments.

"The blunderbuss is an old flintlock, but with a hook to go into a hole in a wall, or a stagecoach rail: a bit of an eye-opener - imagine it on the door-post of a steam-landau. Can't you just imagine Mexican bandits attacking a train in Texas, only to find each carriage armed with a selection of these? Or air-ships floating about, blasting away at each other and point-blank range?" My comment - well of course I can! I'm on this forum after all!

"The hand cranked revolving musket is a wheel lock (I think - couldn't get close enough to be sure), with a dozen or more independently loaded barrels, rotated with some sort of cranking device. 17th Century ... they were trying hard even then."  EDIT: I see this appears at http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30440.1825.html with some description.

"Hunting rifles ... just ordinary little flintlocks, but beautifully designed to be as ergonomic as possible."

"If bullets don't work ..  found this and the hunting rifles in a forgotten castle way up on a Triestine hilltop."

"Over n under ... Trieste again. This and the "if bullets don't work" one are of your bog-standard derringer type; definitely a lady's weapon, and clearly it was expected that ladies are more likely to miss at point blank range and thus needed two shots and a dainty little blade as a back-up to their range of hat-pins. BTW, I don't like the Apache ... apparently a lady was expected to spend valuable time in a fight unfolding the thing, then to use the knuckle dusters she had to mess about reversing it, only to have both the blade AND the five or six-shot chamber pointing straight in her face. Presumably the knuckle-duster was intended as a last resort." - My response to him was "When all else failed the lady could save her honour by using the knuckle-duster on herself." On reflection I'd consider the Apache a weapon for sly attacks, not hasty self defence.

"Revolving cannon  1 & 2: like the hand cranked musket, but with much bigger bullets. The main armament for a dirigible man o'war?"

Will Howard

Quote from: Melrose on March 20, 2018, 03:34:46 AM

"The blunderbuss is an old flintlock, but with a hook to go into a hole in a wall, or a stagecoach rail: a bit of an eye-opener - imagine it on the door-post of a steam-landau. Can't you just imagine Mexican bandits attacking a train in Texas, only to find each carriage armed with a selection of these? Or air-ships floating about, blasting away at each other and point-blank range?" My comment - well of course I can! I'm on this forum after all!

LOVE IT!

==============================================================

"The hand cranked revolving musket is a wheel lock (I think - couldn't get close enough to be sure), with a dozen or more independently loaded barrels, rotated with some sort of cranking device. 17th

Looks more like a matchlock from the picture that you posted.
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Melrose

"The hand cranked revolving musket is a wheel lock (I think - couldn't get close enough to be sure), with a dozen or more independently loaded barrels, rotated with some sort of cranking device. 17th

Thanks for that. Captioned by the photographer who says he couldn't get close enough to be sure. However, he may possibly join this forum to discuss the matter! :D The link I added to the caption (to a post by Prof. Marvel in another thread on this forum) describes a matchlock.

Astalo

There is another angle from that revolving musket. https://www.flickr.com/photos/31625842@N02/36632619332

Quite interesting design for 17th century firearm.

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Melrose on March 22, 2018, 01:38:06 AM

Thanks for that. Captioned by the photographer who says he couldn't get close enough to be sure. However, he may possibly join this forum to discuss the matter! :D The link I added to the caption (to a post by Prof. Marvel in another thread on this forum) describes a matchlock.

Thank you My Good Melrose for that mention!

I agree, from the new angles we can definitely see it is a matchlock .

Yhs
Prof Marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Melrose

Quote from: Prof Marvel on March 23, 2018, 03:21:20 AM
Thank you My Good Melrose for that mention!

I agree, from the new angles we can definitely see it is a matchlock .

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Sir, the thanks are due entirely to you and your edifying exposition upon the subject of the harquebus. That, and it gives me an excuse to commend your superb signature. ;)

RJBowman

RJBowman

Synistor 303

Oh my, the workmanship is amazing...

Prof Marvel

Belated thanks to Melrose for his kind remarks and to
Herr Bowman for the superb engraved Mauser C-96, and his namesake ( ie cross bow )

yhs
prof marvel

RJBowman

Volta's Pistol:

Volta's electric pistol - explanation

A laboratory demonstration created by Volta to demonstrate electric ignition of gas. The blown glass apparatus was produced in a variety of shapes, including miniature cannons and replica muskets.

It never caught on as a weapon of war, but the ignition system made the gasoline engine possible.

Melrose

Browsing this forum (and I think this thread) I see hints of a huge variety of laws in various countries, about even replica guns. While I don't want to flaunt the rules, I must smirk cynically at the extreme variation in laws, even from state to state in this country. Replicas can be freely bought in Queensland and W.A., are restricted in the manner of real arms in most other states, and in Victoria, I have the strong impression that a crayon drawing of a pistol requires a licence.
In my case, non-firing replicas of pre-1901 firearms are apparently unrestricted, if I can trust Firearms Branch information, though the best advice says not to walk down the street brandishing one. I have a few replicas which don't have the ability to fire, not even to the extent that a bit of plumbing pipe and a penny bunger used to provide. So here's my small collection of replicas, then. The only real item is the powder horn, an early father's day gift from my daughter.

I haven't checked their proper names too hard. There's an English flintlock, a "box lock" a.k.a. muff gun, a three-barreled Italian flintlock and a Philadelphia Deringer (with one 'R", after its manufacturer), and a pepperbox. I have also managed to snaffle an out-of-production-since-the-1960s plastic kit of a Civil War revolver I must get into building one day.

Eldrock

Nice collection. Up here, in the old Northern Colony, you can buy any replica pistol, as long as the original was made before 1896. Anything newer is banned.

Chris

Melrose

Quote from: Eldrock on August 31, 2018, 10:35:57 PM
Nice collection. Up here, in the old Northern Colony, you can buy and replica pistol, as long as the original was made before 1896. Anything newer is banned.

Chris

Sounds similar, except the state variations are so confusing, vendors err on the side of caution. With us it's pre-1901, which would admit the broomhandle Mauser and the Colt western revolvers, except that anything which might be made to fire semi-automatically or automatically just pushes things too far. If anyone tried to convert these to firing models they'd soar to the top of the Darwin awards. It's possibly easier to befriend the local bikers and have their armourer scratch build something, if your intention is real mayhem. The replicas are quite nice, made in Spain.

Prof Marvel

Whilst browsing online antique pages I found the following that surely qualify as Non-steamed steampunk

the french galiout palm pistol

H.Kopf Folding PocketKnife Pistol (2mm cal)

DREYSE SCHEIBEN TARGET PISTOL 5.7MM

and in 1893 one of the first of the self-loading automatic pistols, the Bittner

yhs
prof mvl

RJBowman

Quote from: Prof Marvel on September 30, 2018, 11:26:04 PM
Whilst browsing online antique pages I found the following that surely qualify as Non-steamed steampunk

H.Kopf Folding PocketKnife Pistol (2mm cal)

A 2mm pinfire pistol. The shells have a small pin that sticks out the side. My father collects these pistols:

Recent pistols of this type are drilled out the side to fire only blanks, but the older models are drilled to shoot tiny lead balls. The accuracy is poor, and the bullets are about as deadly as a BB gun, but there have been reported bleed-out deaths of people that had it fired into the ear canal.

groomporter

The Tumblr blog this is on describes it as a "bladed boot pistol".Manufactured in France or Belgium c.1820′s~60′s.
.30 caliber, single shot, percussion lock, triangular section steel blade, neoclassical grip.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson