News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Master Steampunk Musicians Thread

Started by Josh of Vernian Process, July 06, 2009, 09:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cubinoid

I really liked that! Excellent video - thank you for sharing that around. I found it quite Burtonesque...and reminiscent of Yellow Submarine in a way...Good stuff!
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Betwithell

Quote from: Cubinoid on December 06, 2009, 12:14:00 PM
I found it quite Burtonesque...and reminiscent of Yellow Submarine in a way
Yes, exactly :)

elShoggotho

Quote from: Professor_Hopkins on September 21, 2009, 04:57:08 AM
One of the bands that comes to my mind is Coppelius.  I don't know German, but I like their music.

Coppelius - Morgenstimmung
Coppelius - Time Zeit
Zeit vergeht, Zeit verrint
Vergiß niemals, du wirst alt, mein Kind

Time runs away, time flows away
Never forget that you get old, my child

..and:
Coppelius - Phantom of the Opera

Voltin

I'd like to mention a band that I've always enjoyed listening to and just realized is a little on the steamyside - Primus

Primus - Southbound Pachyderm

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898

SteamPunkHarper

I don't know if it's considered Steamy enough, but I'd like to add Sunday Driver, one of the bands from the SteamPunk Soiree last night. They were great!!!!
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us!

Rockula

Quote from: SteamPunkHarper on December 15, 2009, 12:51:00 PM
I don't know if it's considered Steamy enough, but I'd like to add Sunday Driver, one of the bands from the SteamPunk Soiree last night. They were great!!!!

They're already here. ;D

And as well as posting here and taking part in the London Steampunk Spectacular this coming January they were also one of the fine bands that played at the Lincoln 'Asylum' Steampunk Convivial last September.

And thier album is brilliant!
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

SteamPunkHarper

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us!

Caspar_Byron

I'm gonna go ahead and add my own band... if that's okay and not too cheeky...

The Wet-Glass RO (Trip-Hop/Electronica/Ambient)

serious_sam

Quote from: Cubinoid on December 02, 2009, 11:19:03 PM
Might I mention our own band or would that be self indulgent?

We are called Moth. (Not to be confused with the USA band of the same name)

tinyurl.com/mothbanduk

I've posted this before, but for those that haven't seen our little video yet:

I quite enjoyed that! The video was excellent too. Tip of the hat to you, good Sir.

I'm going to be bold and suggest Meat Beat Manifesto. Their music has an industrial/grungy theme to it (which is probably more suited to dieselpunk,  but hey ho) and it reminds me of the more mechanical side to steampunk. If I were going to suggest a track,  It'd be a score from their Eccentric Objects album.
Fragments is a very industrial track indeed.

This particular score has a much more dieselpunk theme to it. It was also featured in The Matrix.

Granted, their music is a bit too industrial to be considered totally steampunk,  but I think it's reminiscent of the Victorian era, as the products of the industrial and scientific revolution played an enormous role in shaping the style and fashion of the time - which is why I'd classify them as steampunk music.

penny alice dreadful

I am going to follow the lead of Caspar_Byron and if i may be so bold, also mention my band too 'Alice Moving Under Skies'  (forgive me for my cheek!  :-[ )

www.myspace.com/alicemovingunderskies

As far as our music goes, perhaps we couldn't be considered 'pure-bred' steam-punk, but we try to embrace the feel and our style compliments well. :) 
Essentially we just love to make musical noises and hope other people like them too.
"Curiouser and curiouser!" cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English); "now I'm opening out like the largest telescope that ever was!"

Caspar_Byron

Caspar_Byron

Wells45

Penny, good band. The song is Thirteen Years is really good.

Casper, thanks for the Weasels Exist. Excellent.
"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."  ~Carl Sagan

mocata

Are you sure that's not 'Weasel Sexist'?
The Men THAT Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing: www.myspace.com/blamedfornothing
My stand-up: www.andrewoneill.co.uk

Caspar_Byron

Haha I know, when I saw the MySpace link for the first time I thought that too. :P

Rockula

Quote from: Caspar_Byron on December 24, 2009, 04:28:48 AM
Weasels exist. can be one to add to the list, too.
http://www.myspace.com/weaselsexist

I very much like your music. I'll be having another listen later on. ;D

Caspar_Byron

Weasels exist isn't me, dude, but I did post my own earlier on. :p
But yeah man, Weasels exist are freakin' amazing. :D :D

Rockula

Quote from: Caspar_Byron on January 01, 2010, 12:00:32 PM

Oh, right. Sorry. I'll be checking out your link too, Cap'n. ;)

Caspar_Byron

Quote from: Rockula on January 01, 2010, 04:23:04 PM
Quote from: Caspar_Byron on January 01, 2010, 12:00:32 PM

Oh, right. Sorry. I'll be checking out your link too, Cap'n. ;)

Hehe okay. We're hopefully gonna be posting more songs up tomorrow, and a few redone tracks.

Rockula

Can any of you musical types direct me towards an 'idiots guide' on how to set up your own Podcast things?
I've got the music, and the time, and the inclination to do a Steampunk friendly (but not strictly Steampunk) kind of radio show.
....but I don't even have my own website.

Caspar_Byron

I occasionally make radio podcasts. I usually get the songs I use and mix them all together in the music software I do, add 'presenting' and whatever and then bounce it down as an .mp3. Then I upload it onto this site called Soundcloud. It's pretty cool. You have a limited amount of space but it's still great.
Check it out. :)

Rockula

Quote from: Caspar_Byron on January 04, 2010, 11:59:54 AM
I occasionally make radio podcasts. I usually get the songs I use and mix them all together in the music software I do, add 'presenting' and whatever and then bounce it down as an .mp3. Then I upload it onto this site called Soundcloud. It's pretty cool. You have a limited amount of space but it's still great.
Check it out. :)

Thanks Caspar,
that's one of the three I've been recommended by a regular 'Podcaster' friend of mine.
I'll be checking out the different costs. ;D

Caspar_Byron

Yeah you can pay to get more space, but unpaid for one gives you 2 hours. :)

Ooooh and and...
Quote from: Rockula on January 04, 2010, 02:13:50 PMThanks Caspar

...You spelt my name right. :D

Cubinoid

We just made a second steampunkish kinda music video...

If anyone wants to have a look:

Written in Stone

A lot of fun to make and we learnt loads about the whole process of making a video...hope you enjoy it!

Please do share it withyour friends and loved ones too!
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure: