News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The League of Left-Handers

Started by Janus Zarate, September 18, 2009, 01:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helios

Quote from: Janus Zarate on September 19, 2009, 05:04:40 PM

While I appreciate your frosted gesture, I must inquire: is the accompanying cake server set right-handed?  :P

It's not designed for either hand. What use is it if only I can use it? Or I can't, for that matter.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Cpt. Tobias Warde

Quote from: Janus Zarate on September 20, 2009, 10:51:55 PM
It's rather complicated and still a work in progress, but here is the gist of it so far:

First, we begin introducing prominent left-handed individuals into political offices.  America is ahead of you on that one. ;)

Next, we begin subtly dismantling right-handed appliances and tools, forcing the uneducated right-handed to purchase and learn to operate left-handed products.

Then, we gather up gorgeous left-handed women and use them as poster models for our civil rights campaign material...

And then we have a revolution? It's not as much fun if you don't have a revolution. look where it got the French!

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"

Janus Zarate

Quote from: helios on September 21, 2009, 09:40:33 AMIt's not designed for either hand. What use is it if only I can use it? Or I can't, for that matter.

Just testing the authenticity of your offer.

Is the cake poisoned?

Quote from: Captain_TobiasAnd then we have a revolution? It's not as much fun if you don't have a revolution. look where it got the French!

That might be a case against revolution. :P

We don't get to revolution until step 21: Conquering the world with Wellsian tripods. ;D

(On a related note: Happy Birthday, H.G. Wells!)

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: Janus Zarate on September 21, 2009, 04:15:54 PM
Quote from: Captain_TobiasAnd then we have a revolution? It's not as much fun if you don't have a revolution. look where it got the French!

That might be a case against revolution. :P

Efficient public services, tidy streets, pretty fountains and healthy if somewhat surly people? Why wouldn't you want a revolution, if that's where it got the French?

Janus Zarate

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on September 21, 2009, 05:40:07 PMEfficient public services, tidy streets, pretty fountains and healthy if somewhat surly people? Why wouldn't you want a revolution, if that's where it got the French?

Because if we go the way of the French, we'll eventually have to deal with a Napoleonic coup d'état.  But perhaps if we exclude members on the basis of height, we might be okay. :D

diamantequeen

Count me in, I'm a sinister, mad and a genius ;D .......... and possibly prone to the odd fib  :D

Janus Zarate

Quick update on the list:

#1 – Janus Zarate
#2 – OswaldBastable
#3 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#4 – Herr Klinger
#5 – Countessa Lenora
#6 – Vienna Fahrmann
#7 – Pnakotus
#8 – Jemima Annabelle Clough
#9 – Tara
#10 – vela
#11 – Vienna Fahrmann
#12 – Captain Tobias
#13 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#14 – diamantequeen

von Corax

Quote from: Janus Zarate on September 21, 2009, 10:12:14 PM
I forgot to ask von Corax and Sir Vendigroth: are you two of the southpaw persuasion?

I am not.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Janus Zarate

Sir Vendigroth: welcome. :)

von Corax: shoo. ;D

sebastian Inkerman

I'm a leftie in everything but playing the guitar

Genius, maybe not, above average, possibly.

Strangely enough, the proportion of academics in my department that are lefties outweigh the dexters, so I dunno, there may be something in it, they are a clever bunch. I just hang around them to look smarter

diamantequeen

Quote from: sebastian Inkerman on September 22, 2009, 05:23:39 PM

Strangely enough, the proportion of academics in my department that are lefties outweigh the dexters, so I dunno, there may be something in it, they are a clever bunch. I just hang around them to look smarter

Playing a right handed guitar seems entirely sensible to me. I have one friend who's right handed who plays left handed guitars which again seems sensible.

I have to ask, which hand do you lefties use for your mouse? I got into all sorts of problems assuming my left hand would be the best for it. Couldn't get the hang of it at all 'til I started to use my right hand :-\

Countessa Lenora

My mouse at work has always been on the right side, so I got used to using it on that side.  I'm sure though if I received the opportunity, I could learn to use it on my left.
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

vela

I'd prefer my mouse on the left side, using my middle finger as the clicker finger.  However, since my other half is not of the southpaw persuasion, the mouse stays on to the right of the keyboard, where I have learned to use it, though it drives me crazy.  (As do many gadgets)

-vela
If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

Janus Zarate

Quote from: diamantequeen on September 22, 2009, 05:37:12 PMPlaying a right handed guitar seems entirely sensible to me. I have one friend who's right handed who plays left handed guitars which again seems sensible.

There are two schools of thought supporting left-handed individuals playing right-handed instruments.  One believes that using the left hand as the "fretting" hand is a better use of its strengths, while the other bases its support on the poor availability of left-handed instruments.

I personally stand against both schools, but I do agree that playing right-handed as a lefty does present some advantages.  However, the flip side of the coin is not without its perks.  Personal experience has taught me that playing left-handed guitars as a lefty has several benefits not enjoyed by those who do otherwise:

• My "fretting hand" is my right hand, encouraging the development of its strength and dexterity.
  • My "plucking hand" is my left hand, allowing me to take advantage of its strengths for faster playing, steadier rhythm, and greater control of dynamics.
  • My purchase of a left-handed instrument encourages manufacturers to continue to provide quality left-handed instruments and even expand their offerings by contributing to the existence of the left-handed instrument musician's market.

Understand this, my fellow southpaw musicians: the reason why it's so hard to find a good midrange instrument is not simply because we represent 10-15% of the market - after all, plenty of these manufacturers make instruments which only a meager handful of musicians worldwide would even think of buying, some of which are outright gimmicky and will sell poorly.  Our reluctance to actually pursue a left-handed instrument causes the lefty instrument market to suffer, and compounds the difficulties of those of us who DO intend to play left-handed.

Long story short, it's a collective action problem.  The more of us that buy lefty instruments, the better off we'll be in the long run.  Trouble is, the short run sucks - the early adopters will have to live with the limited selection.

Quote from: diamantequeen on September 22, 2009, 05:37:12 PMI have to ask, which hand do you lefties use for your mouse? I got into all sorts of problems assuming my left hand would be the best for it. Couldn't get the hang of it at all 'til I started to use my right hand :-\

I'm ambidextrous with mouse operation and switch up depending on the activity.  I usually opt for hand-neutral mice for this reason, although I'd love to have a left-handed mouse on-hand for certain tasks.  Intrerestingly enough, I used mice with my right hand for most of my life.  It seemed comfortable because I could type easily with my left hand, and it wasn't too difficult to train my right hand to maneuver the mouse.  However, in overall performance and ability, the left hand wins.  If it weren't for the poor typing ability of my right hand when flying solo, I'd use my left hand on the mouse for all tasks.

sebastian Inkerman

In terms of mouse manipulation, I use my right hand. However, I rarely use my mouse nowadays, instead preferring to use my graphics tablet which I most definately use with my left. It was bought fopr me by my work as I have developed a right shoulder problem (due to mouse manipulation and the angle of my workstation, really, don't ask).

As regards musical instrument playing. It's all very noble to champion the cause of getting more left handed instruments built and I applaud you sir, but I learnt to play right handed and now my right hand isn't as strong as it could be due to an accident I sustained on my elbow a few years ago. I can only strum rather than pluck or pick now. A bit of a shame really, as it will only take my playing so far.

OswaldBastable

Quote from: diamantequeen on September 22, 2009, 05:37:12 PM
Quote from: sebastian Inkerman on September 22, 2009, 05:23:39 PM

Playing a right handed guitar seems entirely sensible to me. I have one friend who's right handed who plays left handed guitars which again seems sensible.

I have to ask, which hand do you lefties use for your mouse? I got into all sorts of problems assuming my left hand would be the best for it. Couldn't get the hang of it at all 'til I started to use my right hand :-\

My mouse is one of the few things I can operate with my right hand but I much prefer to use my left
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Janus Zarate on September 21, 2009, 10:12:14 PM
Quick update on the list:

#1 – Janus Zarate
#2 – OswaldBastable
#3 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#4 – Capt. Dirigible
#5 – Herr Klinger
#6 – Aspen
#7 – Vienna Fahrmann
#8 – Pnakotus
#9 – Jemima Annabelle Clough
#10 – Tara
#11 – vela
#12 – Vienna Fahrmann
#13 – Captain Tobias
#14 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#15 – diamantequeen

I feel I must point out I'm not actually a south paw. I said in my original post I could throw a dart equally well with either hand and that Ikick left footed but  everything else Ido right handed. So I don't think I qualify to be of your 'league'....
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Janus Zarate

Actually, your original post provided us a logo idea. :D

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Janus Zarate on September 23, 2009, 03:56:19 PM
Actually, your original post provided us a logo idea. :D

Yes, well, I have moments...

Thought you guys would appreciate this article in today's paper:
Today underwear...tomorrow THE WORLD!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/09/24/left-handed-pants-115875-21696447/

OswaldBastable

according to my calculations the underwear will give us back a whole hour a month!!

Pnakotus

Quote from: OswaldBastable on September 24, 2009, 08:20:08 AM
according to my calculations the underwear will give us back a whole hour a month!!
Holy smokes. You sure do urinate a lot.
"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Pnakotus on September 24, 2009, 02:55:02 PM

Either that or Oswald spends a looooong time fumbling to find the opening! ;)

Countessa Lenora

Mr. Zarate,

My name has been updated to my steampunk persona - Countessa Lenora.  Please change it to reflect same on your list (#6 - Aspen).  Thank you kind sir.
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Pnakotus on September 24, 2009, 02:55:02 PM

must be all the tea drinking :P