News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The League of Left-Handers

Started by Janus Zarate, September 18, 2009, 01:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banfili

I play right handed purely because I shared MY first guitar with two right-handed players, although my dad was ambi. Once the brain is 'wired' to play one way it's very hard to change back to the preferred hand. My youngest nephew plays lefty.

The man at the Left-handed Guitar Players web page says it doesn't matter which hand you play guitar (or other suitably strung instruments) with because both hands do an equally important job.

I regret not re-stringing the right way (for me!) & not learning lefty, but it probably wasn't worth the angst - dad would have been ok, I think, but my little brother wouldn't have bothered, nor gone on to learn (or try to learn) righty.

Professor Phineas Brownsm

is it safe for me to admit that one is a lefty??
Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium

Banfili

bicyclebuilder

Quote from: Banfili on November 25, 2012, 05:32:26 AM
I play right handed purely because I shared MY first guitar with two right-handed players, although my dad was ambi. Once the brain is 'wired' to play one way it's very hard to change back to the preferred hand. My youngest nephew plays lefty.

The man at the Left-handed Guitar Players web page says it doesn't matter which hand you play guitar (or other suitably strung instruments) with because both hands do an equally important job.

I regret not re-stringing the right way (for me!) & not learning lefty, but it probably wasn't worth the angst - dad would have been ok, I think, but my little brother wouldn't have bothered, nor gone on to learn (or try to learn) righty.

...So your dad could do this?

Michael Angelo Batio ▬ double guitar
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

Banfili

should

Oh what a splendid idea! Please count me in. I am a lefty and I am PROUD!!!

Long live the left!
SHould
Miss Lora Dashdun, at your service!

SteamFaery

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on March 04, 2013, 08:23:27 AM

...So your dad could do this?

Michael Angelo Batio ▬ double guitar

O, ye gods and goddesses. I'm not going to call myself a musician anymore.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress." ~ Giuseppe Verdi

www.ziazan.co.uk

paradox_qu

Another Lefty here.  Although I am a lefty that has been corrupted by right handed society.  I do my "natural" things left handed, like writing and eating, but stuff that I was taught, like sports, I do right handed. 

So although, I am not a pure lefty, I believe that I would have been if I wasn't pushed into right-handedness at a young age. 

DreamHazard

I'm a partial lefty, if that counts. I'm not ambidextrous, I'm right-handed in terms of writing, but I do some tasks exclusively left-handed, like eating, drinking, opening bottles, vaulting... Do I count?

Fat Spider

WOW!

I thought I was the only freak in the universe ;D

I'm pretty much ambidextrous and can use most hand/power tools in either hand, when I was younger I played guitar right handed (it just seemed natural) and I also eat with knife and fork right handed, so unless using a spoon in the left hand and also writing left handed counts then I'm afraid I can't join :'(, oh and I also take Mr Wiggley to the bathroom with my left hand, but of course you didn't really want to know that ;D
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

DreamHazard

There was quite a strange moment when invited over for dinner at a friend's house a few months back, three out of the four of us were left-handed eaters, though all of us were right-handed in general. It just makes more sense to use the fork in your normal hand rather than your off hand, unless you're eating a steak that requires power tools to eat, in which case, send it back!

Pixilight

Yay! I'm a lefty and used to be really bothered by it, turns out now I'm just more flexible in what I can do than most people. This is such a cool idea.

Blake

A woman i work with was surprised I was left handed because of the neatness of my handwriting. I must admit i do go from spiders scrawl to neat writing when i'm not in a hurry. Does anyone else have this issue as I know my colleague only mentioned it as she said her partners writing was always a spiders scrawl and he was left handed.
lost in thought, not vacated the premises.

Banfili

When I was in Infants School - 1st & 2nd class - I wrote right handed, because we learned 'proper' writing with those old steel nibbed post office pens, and the inkwells were on the right hand side of the desks, and the ink will smudge so when you drag your arm across it! However, when at home I wrote left handed, because I could. So, school was for right hand, home was for left. As a result of never getting really sorted either way I write pretty much the same with both hands - even my signature is as identical as it can be. The neatness or lack thereof depends on how tired I am, or how fast I need to write, but I can put up a neat hand either hand when required.

As a party trick I can write with both hands at the same time (used to be able to do it backwards too, but confused myself so much I gave it up), and can also draw perfect circles at will. I write left handed like a right hander, that is, straight hand, across the page - don't hook my hand around or stuff like that.

Referring back to the first page of this thread, in addition to a higher percentage of geniuses, lefties also have a higher percentage of Autism Spectrum Disorder than the right population. Neural Diversity forever!

Seakrits

Quote from: paradox_qu on April 11, 2013, 04:08:35 AM
Another Lefty here.  Although I am a lefty that has been corrupted by right handed society.  I do my "natural" things left handed, like writing and eating, but stuff that I was taught, like sports, I do right handed. 

So although, I am not a pure lefty, I believe that I would have been if I wasn't pushed into right-handedness at a young age. 

Me too! In kindergarten and grade school I used lefty scissors and such, but they were harder to find before the interwebs came around, so once we had to start buying our own school supplies, I had to go right handed. I use a right handed mouse also, and pretty much do most things right handed, but I'm a natural lefty. I don't consider people like us 'not a pure lefty'. We're still lefty's, just been forced to adapt.

I have one cousin who's a lefty, but before that it was our great-grandfather who was a lefty. I myself have one daughter who's a lefty too! Maybe our numbers are increasing.

MWAHAHAHA! World domination HERE WE COME.  :D
I do NOT march to the beat of a different drum, I waddle to the off beat flaps of a kazoo.

Hurricane Annie

I come from a long line on the ambidextrous spectrum  and the ASD spectrum.

The 2 often go hand in hand

MWBailey

Also ambidextrous here, as I have mentioned before. Welcome my fellow Ambis. (Is there a better short name  for us out there, does anyone know?). Or ambisinister some days...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Countessa Lenora

Quote from: MWBailey on July 04, 2015, 03:00:12 AM
Also ambidextrous here, as I have mentioned before. Welcome my fellow Ambis. (Is there a better short name  for us out there, does anyone know?). Or ambisinister some days...

I'm predominantly left-handed, but I've found that I've gotten more ambidextrous as I've gotten older. My nana was ambidextrous. I often wonder if it was the same way with her.
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

SteampunkPilot

Quote from: OswaldBastable on September 18, 2009, 10:16:28 AM
to be fair I am quoting half remembered details; however statistics of that nature should always be judged on a percentage basis otherwise it would as you have said be rather silly.

In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand,Chris McManus of University College London argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centres of the brain.

McManus also says that the increase in the 20th century of people identifying as left-handed could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses.

Anyone disagreeing is of course the victim of right handed propaganda!  ;)

Then what about ambidextrous people...? And what if you are right handed, but somehow get in an accident and lose that hand, will your brain then become lefthanded..?? So many questions arise... :/

Banfili

An old family friend contracted polio when he was about 24. He is right handed, but as it was his right hand and left leg affected by the disease, he had to learn to write left handed - his handwriting was appalling, so he took to the typewriter, and, later on, the computer keyboard. Some people are just so right or left they are dysfunctional when trying to use the other hand.