News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The League of Left-Handers

Started by Janus Zarate, September 18, 2009, 01:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus Zarate

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on September 24, 2009, 07:49:55 AMThought you guys would appreciate this article in today's paper:
Today underwear...tomorrow THE WORLD!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/09/24/left-handed-pants-115875-21696447/

WOW.  :o

I wonder when they might be available in the U.S.?  Three seconds is a lot of time to save when you're trying to conquer the world. :D

vela

*Walks up to Janus, and with her left hand, shakes his*

Look forward to meeting you at SteamCon!

-vela
If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

Janus Zarate

I'm looking forward to meeting me, too.

Er, I mean... uh...  ;D

:-X

Herr Klinger

So, as an official league, do we have a code of ethics? A secret handshake? What's the proper way to politely snub a Righty in public? We just HAVE to gain upperhand!
"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
~ Andrew Ryan

Countessa Lenora

Oh yes please, a secret handshake, with our left hand.... of course.  Then we'll know each other at conventions and gatherings.
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

Genevieve Ozuna

Another lefty reporting for duty!

We definitely need a secret left-handshake. Though I can't really seem to think of a viable option to teach it to one another secretly over the interwebs. Hm.. I'll have to think on that.

As far as mouse-use goes, I use a trackpad and my left hand, or my right hand when using a mouse (bloody drill sergeant teachers and their incessant wrist slapping *sigh*).

And a completely irrelevant sidenote: Janus, you live near me! : O And have the same surname as my alternate persona Nadya Zarate o_o

Janus Zarate

Heh... what are the odds?  Perhaps we'll run into each other at some point... I'm usually roaming all over the Bay Area for a billion different reasons.  Any plans on attending SteamCon?

Zarate is my actual surname as well.  Janus, on the other hand, is another story entirely...

Regarding the handshake: I'll have to ponder a clever one.  Anyone else is welcome to contribute suggestions, of course!

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Re the handshake - it would have to at least start (or end, maybe), with proffering the left hand...
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Jemima Annabelle Clough on September 29, 2009, 10:43:11 PM
Re the handshake - it would have to at least start (or end, maybe), with proffering the left hand...
that always confuses right handers as they then have to use there left hand; so a good start !
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

vela

Everything we do confuses righties.  You should see a southpaw go up to bat against a northpaw pitcher. 
Throws 'em right off, it does.

If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov

OswaldBastable

Quote from: vela on October 02, 2009, 12:03:07 AM
Everything we do confuses righties.  You should see a southpaw go up to bat against a northpaw pitcher. 
Throws 'em right off, it does.

I do Medieval renactment and many a right handed swordsmen looks very confused when faced with a left hander

sebastian Inkerman

I used to get that a lot when I was in a medieval re-enactment group. Faced with a sword and shield toted by a left hander, many's the swordsman that looked on confused at how to approach the fight. Normally it ended with mutual kills with neither side gaining the upper hand. Or at least it did with me. Plus it can shift the dynamic of a shield wall, so I was inevitably shoved to the back with a spear.

Countessa Lenora

Try teaching your children anything involving handiwork when you are left handed and they are both right handed - not good.

vela

Quote from: OswaldBastable on October 02, 2009, 12:22:56 PM

True that.

I crochet.  Right handers ask me delightful questions such as, "Do you read the directions from right to left?" and "Do you start at the end and work your way to the beginning?" 

Are we that much of a curiosity?
                -Ivan Drugostrov

OswaldBastable

Quote from: sebastian Inkerman on October 02, 2009, 01:52:11 PM
I used to get that a lot when I was in a medieval re-enactment group. Faced with a sword and shield toted by a left hander, many's the swordsman that looked on confused at how to approach the fight. Normally it ended with mutual kills with neither side gaining the upper hand. Or at least it did with me. Plus it can shift the dynamic of a shield wall, so I was inevitably shoved to the back with a spear.

I invarably end up on the flank, usually the left as they dont want me messing up the shield wall either though in open order its not a problem

OswaldBastable

Quote from: vela on October 03, 2009, 03:22:37 AM
Quote from: OswaldBastable on October 02, 2009, 12:22:56 PM

True that.

I crochet.  Right handers ask me delightful questions such as, "Do you read the directions from right to left?" and "Do you start at the end and work your way to the beginning?" 

Are we that much of a curiosity?

Perhaps they have us confused with the Japanese :P

Janus Zarate

Quote from: vela on October 03, 2009, 03:22:37 AMAre we that much of a curiosity?

Yes we are.  Isn't it beautiful? ;D

Countessa Lenora

Tara

It's amazing how many people will exclaim "Oh, you're a lefty!" the first time they see me pick up a pen.  I always worry that they're thinking "Oh, thank God there's something interesting about you." :-p

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Tara on October 06, 2009, 02:27:20 AM
It's amazing how many people will exclaim "Oh, you're a lefty!" the first time they see me pick up a pen.  I always worry that they're thinking "Oh, thank God there's something interesting about you." :-p

no its because they've just realised your one of the X men

vela

Makes you want to dye your hair purple so that instead of, "Oh, you're a lefty." they'll say, "Oh, you have purple hair."

Isn't it wonderful when people state the obvious?
                -Ivan Drugostrov

S.Sprocket

we have a lot of lefties, I'm included.
"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah

vela

-Ivan Drugostrov

Janus Zarate

Quick list update:

#1 – Janus Zarate
#2 – OswaldBastable
#3 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#4 – Herr Klinger
#5 – Countessa Lenora
#6 – Vienna Fahrmann
#7 – Pnakotus
#8 – Jemima Annabelle Clough
#9 – Tara
#10 – vela
#11 – Vienna Fahrmann
#12 – Captain Tobias
#13 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#14 – diamantequeen
#15 – sebastian Inkerman
#16 – Genevieve Ozuna
#17 – S.Sprocket

Woot!
Spread the word!
Tell your fellow steampunks!
We are legion!

...wait, scratch that last one.  :-X

Lefties of the world, unite! ;D

vela

Quote from: S.Sprocket on October 07, 2009, 11:37:39 PM
we have a lot of lefties, I'm included.

You know you've had "one of those days", when the best thing that happened so far, is that you're happy because S.Sprocket joins The League of Left-Handers.

(And for everyone else who's here, of course, too.)
                -Ivan Drugostrov