News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Lonely Gear (A singles bar)

Started by Lord Wraste, November 20, 2009, 02:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Wraste

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!

Welcome to the The Lonely Gear!
This is a place for single Steampunks to come and chat about whatever comes into their minds to chat about.
Pull up a chair, grab a drink, and be welcome here!

Rose Oak asked me in the Single Steampunks Thread if I had seen any of the new Red Dwarf series.
I have not. I've not actually seen anything past the second season. :(

I do hope to see more soon though. :)

Athena

*heels clicking as I walk in*

Very nice Wraste, very nice. May I sit at the bar? *sliding onto a stool* *propping up my parasol*

Now. *adjusting my skirt* What's the Red Dwarf series you were talking about?

Lady Corsair

*sprawls on the leather couch by the fire*

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you don't know Red Dwarf?  Aww, I don't feel quite so conspicuously American now. ;D

It is a fantastic sci-fi show about the sole survivor of a mining ship after (many many) years in cryosleep (his cat's ancestors have evolved into humanoids).

Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

Lord Wraste

Quote from: Athena on November 20, 2009, 03:02:51 AM
*heels clicking as I walk in*

Very nice Wraste, very nice. May I sit at the bar? *sliding onto a stool* *propping up my parasol*

Now. *adjusting my skirt* What's the Red Dwarf series you were talking about?
*pours Athena a measure of "the good stuff"*

Have you never heard of Red Dwarf? A shame that. It's hilarious.

It's the future. The Red Dwarf is a (if I remember right) intergalactic Mining vessel.
One of the crewmen, Dave Lister, gets in trouble for having an illegal cat on board and gets put into suspended animation for the duration of the voyage. While in stasis there's a nuclear power leak and the entire crew dies. The ship's computer, Holly, keeps Lister in stasis until it's safe on board. 3 million years later.

Dave Lister's only companions are a holographic representation of his old roommate, Arnold Rimmer; the humanoid descendant of his cat, Cat; and Holly, the ship's computer. Along the way they meet some interesting characters, and a spiffing android.

Hilarity ensues.

JingleJoe

Oh yes! ;D This is what we needed! Now, where can I hang my hat? Does this establishment have a cloak room? ;D

You must all watch Red Dwarf for it is an amazing triumph of sci-fi comedy! :D It had a huge influence on my late childhood and subsequently the rest of my life :) and it's a ripping good laugh!
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Lord Wraste

Quote from: JingleJoe on November 20, 2009, 03:12:28 AM
Oh yes! ;D This is what we needed! Now, where can I hang my hat? Does this establishment have a cloak room? ;D

You must all watch Red Dwarf for it is an amazing triumph of sci-fi comedy! :D It had a huge influence on my late childhood and subsequently the rest of my life :) and it's a ripping good laugh!
*Takes Joe's hat and coat*
I'll take those, Joe.
I'll have to hire a coat check girl or boy at some point, m'thinks. :)

I love-love-love Red Dwarf. At least, what I've seen of it.
When I got into it the only format available was VHS, and they were EXPENSIVE! :P

Now that we're in the time of DVD I may be able to continue the series.

JingleJoe

Perhaps continue with downloads, yup, piratical ones :-X

Although a dictum I observe: I allways try to buy the serieses of things I like to show my appreciation for them :)

P.S. find a strong hook for that coat it's so full of junk it weighs about 50% of my own weight ::)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Burr

I have to second Joe's sentiments on Red Dwarf. It should not be missed.

Lord Wraste

Unfortunately my computer has not the chutzpah to do much in the way of Piracy.

It's why I float a merchant ship. ;)

Oh! Mr. Burr. Good to have you join us!

Athena

If I'm coat and hat check girl, will I get paid in something?

And I will have to look up this Red Dwarf.

I'll even wear something cute and sweetloli-ish. ^_^

Lord Wraste

Athena, my dear. The job is yours.

I pay in beer. ;D

The best part about Red Dwarf for me is the fact that it's one of those infinitely quotable series.

After watching it I just can't help myself!

Athena

Thank you! I feel so useful now! ^_^

*walking over to JingleJoe* I'll take that for you! *looking in my pockets* And here's your receipt! *smile*

Lady Corsair

*snaps fingers* Something fruity, barkeep! 

*hold ups her her white pea coat and a fiver (USD)*
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

GideonFaile

*strides in with a broad smile for the coat check fi- girl.*
It was a short walk; I'm afraid I forwent the coat and hat, this even.

*settles into a highbacked chair that sits a respectable distance from the fireplace*

How is it that I've never heard of this Red Dwarf? It is a series, if I haven't misread; did it just never gain popularity? Did Fox mess it up, like they did with Firefly?
And what's up with those little sporks they give you in cafeterias? They're almost completely useless, if you're eating something that requires an actual fork.

Also: No drinks for me; unless you've rose hip tea...
"Won't you come back again? I miss the sound of footsteps as we danced amidst the stars and the light of a dawn approaching too quickly reflected in our eyes."

Athena

It's gonna take more than a fiver to get me to respond to a snap, but since I'm getting paid in booze....
*walks over to Corsair and takes her coat*

Your receipt madame.

*goes to put coats in coat room*

*glare at GideonFaile* Remember I'm still a goddess, albeit one that's a coat check girl. I can still level you with a look.

Lord Wraste

*Puts on his best "Paul Lynde" impression.*

I've got your drink right Hee-rre! ;)

*Hands Lady Corsair a glass of AMF* ;D

Lady Corsair

The snap was for the barkeep. ;) 

*takes AMF* Mmm, pretty.  Not a huge tequila fan, but it'll do.

GideonFaile

My apologies, Miss Hoven; I was merely reminded due to your post in Post Your Picture. Something about an odd little fish...
I mean't more as an endearment, at this point, than anything else.

So; tell me more about the style of this Red Dwarf. I like to know quite a bit about filming style, etc. before I actually begin watching something...

*holds out a bank note to Athena for 300 pesos*
"Won't you come back again? I miss the sound of footsteps as we danced amidst the stars and the light of a dawn approaching too quickly reflected in our eyes."

Lord Wraste

LukeHogbin

*carefully peeks in and then sneaks into a dark corner*

*waves hand* This is not the silly guy you think it is. Move along.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Ryu

*Wanders in and settles herself on the floor by the fire.*

I'd like Spiced Chai tea if you have it please.

Lady Corsair

*crosses her booted feet on the couch and leans back*  Hmm, I think we need an appropriate topic of conversation, but I'm tapped out.  *sips her AMF* 

Lord Wraste

Oh HO! More people!

Here's your chai, Ryu-chan.

Wasn't there a silly guy here a second ago?? ;)

Lady Corsair,

Hows the puppy?

Ryu

Takes the tea from Gabriel* Thank you!  :)

Lady Corsair, you have a puppy? May I ask what kind?

Lady Corsair

Hopefully, the puppy is at home, exhausted after a long evening of playing with his Uncle, so I can get some sleep after class.  :)

He was up at 4am on Wednesday and 6am this morning.  Due to a busy evening schedule, for me, he didn't get enough exercise/playtime, the poor guy.  

OH, and he's a Chihuahua/Shiba Inu. :)