News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Court of Miracles: A Refuge for Ragamuffins, Gypsies, and Outcasts

Started by Puck, November 22, 2009, 02:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Oakes

Don't murder me if I spell it wrong, but Cymru was the root word that caught my attention as well as other gaelic spellings that I am aware of through the little Irish I know. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Lady Chrystal

Then good day to you, Sir. I suggest we cease these linguistic shennanigans and stick to the Queen's English.

My name is Chrystal and I am a stranger here.
"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."

Lady Chrystal

Quote from: D.Oakes on August 07, 2011, 08:00:08 AM
Don't murder me if I spell it wrong, but Cymru was the root word that caught my attention as well as other gaelic spellings that I am aware of through the little Irish I know. 

Your assumption was quite correct - and I rarely kill anyone who's bought me a drink.
Iechyd da - good health, Sir.

D.Oakes

Quote from: Lady Chrystal on August 07, 2011, 08:00:52 AM
Then good day to you, Sir. I suggest we cease these linguistic shennanigans and stick to the Queen's English.

My name is Chrystal and I am a stranger here.

Aye, but the Queen's English absolutely bothers me.  As Michael Collins would say, English was never meant to be spoken this way.  I am a stranger as well.  I simply helped myself to absinthe and made myself at home.  I must say, I wish I had any grasp of gaelic as you do. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Lady Chrystal

Ah, Welsh is the language of my Fathers. It was suppressed by the English for many years but has been kept alive by a few stalwarts. Thankfully the language is having something of a renaissance in this century. But English is the lingua franca of this world we live in.

So, Stranger, what brings you to the Court of Miracles?

D.Oakes

Every word except gypsy, which as I am not Romani, I can not proclaim, but I am very much a bohemian.  Why have you entered this most interesting stretch of the forum?

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

I always wonder why people use the term "Bohemian" to refer to a hipster. The real me has Bohemian heritage on the side of my family that isn't Alsatian German (the other side of my family).

D.Oakes

Quote from: Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz on August 07, 2011, 08:29:49 AM
    I always wonder why people use the term "Bohemian" to refer to a wanderer. The real me has Bohemian heritage on the side of my family that isn't Alsatian German. So I am actually a Bohemian in both senses of the word.

Bohemian refers to the Czechs.  However in the French use of the term which has been carried on throughout the West, it refers to the set of people who include poets, painters, musicians, and dandies who by choice take on a very wandering lifestyle.  (Central/Eastern Europe was considered exotic due to the high population of gypsies.)

You can be boho...but you never want to be a bobo...it is the same idea as kitschy steampunk.

Lady Chrystal

Quote from: D.Oakes on August 07, 2011, 08:23:32 AM
Every word except gypsy, which as I am not Romani, I can not proclaim, but I am very much a bohemian.  Why have you entered this most interesting stretch of the forum?

I can only claim title to the word outcast, as I can never belong to polite society again. Circumstances have made a wanderer of me, always moving on, preferably before my curious situation is uncovered.

I always wonder why people use the term "Bohemian" to refer to a wanderer. The real me has Bohemian heritage on the side of my family that isn't Alsatian German (the other side of my family). So I am actually a Bohemian in both senses of the word.

Greetings to you, good Sir. I have no claim to Bohemian ancestory. I am merely a stranger passing through.

D.Oakes

Quote from: Lady Chrystal on August 07, 2011, 08:40:43 AM
Quote from: D.Oakes on August 07, 2011, 08:23:32 AM
Every word except gypsy, which as I am not Romani, I can not proclaim, but I am very much a bohemian.  Why have you entered this most interesting stretch of the forum?

I can only claim title to the word outcast, as I can never belong to polite society again. Circumstances have made a wanderer of me, always moving on, preferably before my curious situation is uncovered.

I always wonder why people use the term "Bohemian" to refer to a wanderer. The real me has Bohemian heritage on the side of my family that isn't Alsatian German (the other side of my family). So I am actually a Bohemian in both senses of the word.

Greetings to you, good Sir. I have no claim to Bohemian ancestory. I am merely a stranger passing through.

I can pretend to belong to polite society which has therefore labeled me as a Dandy.  Danny the Dandy, what a great title. 

Lady Chrystal

Hmm, personally I suspect most members of "polite society" are only pretending to belong, too.

Indeed, Danny the Dandy does have a certain debonair ring to it.

D.Oakes

Quote from: Lady Chrystal on August 07, 2011, 08:58:52 AM
Hmm, personally I suspect most members of "polite society" are only pretending to belong, too.

Indeed, Danny the Dandy does have a certain debonair ring to it.

It is quite similar to looking to the New York Times Men's Fashion addition of a few years ago and going...."wow...plaid suit...$3000, I can get the same thing, with a "better aged" look for $5 at the thrift store."  Yes, I agree, we are all dandies.  And we look a lot better than the supposed upper crust. 

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

Now that I look more into the use of the term "Bohemian" in a non-ethnic context I really don't qualify at all. I thought it just meant a wanderer. You're right, D. Oakes.

D.Oakes

Quote from: Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz on August 07, 2011, 09:09:03 AM
    Now that I look more into the use of the term "Bohemian" in a non-ethnic context I really don't qualify. I thought it just meant a wanderer. You're right, D. Oakes.

Now "wanderer" there are Irish, Roma, and Sinti, as well as quite a few others.  As hard a lifestyle as it is, we all should respect it and the art and music is absolutely amazing. 

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

I should have clarified, I meant "wanderer" fecetiously. I have dreams of travelling the world. I also have a tendency to pace. I'm not actually constantly on the move like some people are (Would I have much time to be on this forum if I were?).

Ella, Aerial Musketeer

Quote from: MWBailey on August 07, 2011, 05:18:47 AM
You may. I hope you don't mind me looking. *begins sketching*

are you done yet sir? i am sorry to say that my back is geting sore and i must shift soon

MWBailey

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Lady Chrystal

Chrystal slips through the door and heads for the bar, treading carefully to avoid stepping on anybody's foot / hand / tentacle and making as little sound as possible.
"Wow," she breathes. "I missed some party here!"
She reaches the aetheric-powered water heater and fills the flask to boil, then spoons tea into one pot, ground coffee into another.

Arabella Periscope

Time traveller, just passing through. I recommend the installation of the newly patented Tea, Coffee, Cocoa, and Bovril machine, the 'Terpsichore'.  It has four copper-clad boilers with brass taps and is cleverly piped to warm the sofas and chairs in which Ragamuffins, Gypsies, and Outcasts may find Refuge, reviving their spirits for the dance.  (Those, of course, who prefer the drinks which 'cheer, but do not intoxicate..' Not that one is averse to a Livener from a hip flask in an emergency. ) Outcasts, in my experience in many realities and timestreams, often suffer from frequent respiratory complaints, and need hot drinks above all, not to mention sympathy.
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Lady Chrystal

Hello Arabella,

good to see someone else awake. Your machine may indeed be a useful addition here. In the meantime, may I offer you a refreshing hot beverage? I'm sure others will be joining us as they wake.

Arabella Periscope

Dear Lady,

So kind. The Irish coffee, I think.  The underwater city was somewhat chilly.  There seem to be those here who are poised for flight -- rather like myself, who am always popping in here and then to view historical moments or visit the WC -- and who are trying to make themselves invisible, almost as if they were being hunted. . . There is a very filmy small girl.  She might creep into a wing chair over there in the shadows, away from the raffish ones near the barrels (could they be hung over?), with a cup of cocoa, and no-one would notice her.

Cheers!
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Lady Chrystal

Here you are, and welcome. That'll warm the cockles of anyone's heart.

Yes, I fear some of our compatriots are a little worse for wear after the events of last night - which we may get to hear about sometime, if we're lucky.

There are indeed many here who prefer not to be noticed by certain others. But you may rest safe in the knowledge that no legal authorities enter here and we rarely see any form of trouble here.

I think I will have a Klah and settle on this stool for the time being.

citizen_erased

I see a lot of people here mentioned being an outcast even amongst outcasts.. I myself have wondered for a while now: if one is an outcast amongst outcasts, does that make one a more extreme outcast or does it make one normal again?

I have somehow managed to be an outcast in an entire study filled with outcasts, which I why I wondered. Should make me fit in here nicely, one would think  ;)

*wanders off again with her cup of tea and a biscuit to go and stare out a window*
Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com

Will Howard

If Lady Chrystal gets yer cockles too warm, for a small fee we can supply you with a bit of ice to rub on them.
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Lady Chrystal

Interesting image, Sir.

How about an iced tea or coffee?

I think I'm about to fetch a bottle of wine. Grab your glasses, anyone who'd like some.

(BTW - for our American companions, it's evening over here.)