News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Roll call

Started by maduncle, December 31, 2009, 04:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduncle

Seems that there is a bit of movement at the station in South Australia, welcome aboard folks.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Colonel Primbroke

It's been a while between drinks. I used to be on here many years ago but it became very highly political with the *makers* pushing in and telling everyone that they were the real steampunks and so forth. So now that that's all died down I decided to give BG another try. There's a few familiar faces amongst the icons, and some names I remember from the past.

I look forward to meeting you all again.
1st Syrtis Major Regiment.
Martian Expeditionary Forces
Mars

"Do you have a flag?"

maduncle

Quote from: Colonel Primbroke on January 13, 2013, 10:07:39 AM
It's been a while between drinks. I used to be on here many years ago but it became very highly political with the *makers* pushing in and telling everyone that they were the real steampunks and so forth. So now that that's all died down I decided to give BG another try. There's a few familiar faces amongst the icons, and some names I remember from the past.

I look forward to meeting you all again.

Lovely to see you here again, and your company at such events as Steampump is always appreciated.

I say 'bah humbug' to the maker elite - we are a silly mob and plan to stay this way, if anyone starts to take this seriously then they need a good horse whipping (with cream).

Sir Richard Hammerman

Good day to you all;

I am another who hails from the sunny antipodes, in this case the island of Van Diemen's Land.  That may not be so for much longer, for, after a long sojourn of many years, I am endeavouring to relocate to the far side of the colonies, to Perth, at some stage this year, due to impending nuptials.

After a stint working in IT for 8 years, I have now commenced retraining into a new field, that of libraries, currently undertaking a Diploma of Library and Information Systems.  Which means that once more I have returned to being a penniless student/writer.

I guess I could say I was interested in steampunk long before I really new much about it. Jules Verne and H.G. Wells were always big favourites of mine as a youngster, and I got to know about steampunk a lot more via games such as Arcanum and the Iron Kingdoms RPG.

Sir Richard Hammerman, gentleman-adventurer, my alter-ego, is in fact a character I have been writing about.

I am lucky in that my fiancee is also into steampunk - she gave me a pocket-watch for Christmas.  She also enjoys writing and so we have commenced working on a series together, and is also very much into art and craft, and would like to start making steampunk craft.  We are even contemplating a steampunk themed wedding.

Esteem Punk

Even thought I have been here a short while, I think I will throw myself upon this wall too.
My name is Kel, and I live in Melbourne with my lovely wife Ala.
I see myself as a designer, an inventor and general tinkerer. As well as working my way to branch manager of several brands of automotive parts suppliers, I have been an amateur engineer for about ten years now. I have large future plans and dreams, so now I work for myself and have some time, I have gone back to university. I previously studied physics, and was able to get credit for most of my previous units, and am now magically half way through an engineering degree.

I wouldn't entirely say steam punk is a way of life for me. Although not entirely historical based, peoples designs elements and ideas in Steampunk are generally based on a time when even industrial achievements had a beautiful form as well as a practical function. This seems to be missing so much today. I like the brass goggles forum a lot because everyone is generally very supportive, very friendly, and no one seems to take anything too damned seriously.

maduncle

Quote from: Esteem Punk on January 19, 2013, 03:25:50 AM
Even thought I have been here a short while, I think I will throw myself upon this wall too.
My name is Kel, and I live in Melbourne with my lovely wife Ala.
I see myself as a designer, an inventor and general tinkerer. As well as working my way to branch manager of several brands of automotive parts suppliers, I have been an amateur engineer for about ten years now. I have large future plans and dreams, so now I work for myself and have some time, I have gone back to university. I previously studied physics, and was able to get credit for most of my previous units, and am now magically half way through an engineering degree.

I wouldn't entirely say steam punk is a way of life for me. Although not entirely historical based, peoples designs elements and ideas in Steampunk are generally based on a time when even industrial achievements had a beautiful form as well as a practical function. This seems to be missing so much today. I like the brass goggles forum a lot because everyone is generally very supportive, very friendly, and no one seems to take anything too damned seriously.

Welcome sir,

I think you and I will get on famously, I look forward to meeting you in Melbourne some time.

Give me a couple of weeks and my custom motorcycle workshop will be up and running at 810 High Street Thornbury - open Saturdays.

Esteem Punk

I'll see if I can take you up on that offer sometime soon.  :)
Is this a new business for you?

maduncle

Ah well - I am starting to feel a little 'old' in the steampunk world, particularly after the recent Radio National interview for the current Antipodean Steampunk Show exhibition in QLD.

I am not building anything right now, but I am moving into a new studio spcae in March. I will have a share of an old glass making factory in Preston. Around 50m2 of seperated floor space inside a great old brick building with a high roof and a huge multipane window.

The primary aim of the space is to set up my custom motorcycle works - but it will also be my steampunk creating space. I am happy to make it available to other tinkerers as required (when I am there) and may even organise a makers day.

Stay tuned...

(Oh, and I am planning a steampunk influenced motorcycle build).

Lady Kristiann

Greetings to my fellow Steampunk enthusiasts!

I go by the name Lady Kristiann here but my true name is Kristina, and I hail from a place called Sydney.

For me Steampunk has always been about the clothing - it is what attracted me to it, and it is what's making me stay. In this era of too casual and too provocative fashion, the elegance of Neo-Victorian style is a sort of rebellion for me (Not that I'm much of a rebel - I am more someone who's not afraid to stand out!)

Steampunk fashion also evokes a sense of adventure, because the fashion looks like the costumes from RPGs I play.

If I could wear a bit of Steampunk everyday, I would!

Sorontar

Welcome Lady Kristiann.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Prof. Convict Archfiend

CONVICTS UNITE!!!!!!!!!

Prof. Convict Archfiend, shipped up on the Lady Nelson, and here to attend your lecture!

Hyperactive, breaker of things, I love to tinker. Pull things apart and try to put it back together.
I dabble in all sorts, in love with the automobile engine, would spend my pay cheque on my 4wd's V8, if one didn't need to eat.........or have a roof over head.......or power........ or..... :-[
MAD Remote control fan, ranging for scale(ish) 4wd's, racing, to speed boats, slow or fast, I'll have a go!!

Been a fan of the SP furniture scene for a while now, and as I've grown wiser(PFF!! HARDLY!! ::)) with age(30), I've begun to delve a little deeper into it all. Will be diving in later this year with a stereo build

Here for a looksee and to learn. Spent a while now, reading through the forum and have enjoyed it all very much, and decided to join up in order to be able to tickle my inquisitive little mind that little bit more.

From a tin shed, stuck in the middle of the prehistoric wilderness of Van Diemen's Land,
Good Evening
Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)

Sorontar

Quote from: Prof. Convict Archfiend on April 03, 2014, 06:20:34 AM
Prof. Convict Archfiend, shipped up on the Lady Nelson, and here to attend your lecture!

So is that name indicating you are a professional convict? :^)

Welcome to BG, all the same.

Sorontar

Prof. Convict Archfiend

Quote from: Sorontar on April 04, 2014, 08:16:12 AM
Quote from: Prof. Convict Archfiend on April 03, 2014, 06:20:34 AM

So is that name indicating you are a professional convict? :^)

Welcome to BG, all the same.

Sorontar

No, not quite..... more into the mischief side of things!!! ;)
Also a prevalent reminder of how our little Island State cam into being.

Thanks for the welcome Sorontar
Just call me "Greenie"....
(much quicker to type)

maduncle

Righto -

Been a while with the feet up sipping on tea.

Time to get back into it a bit.

Exhibitions occurring in Melbourne in June and July.

I will attend.

Message ends.

rod-on

I'm so glad to see you reemerge, or come out of hibernation perhaps ... anyway its great to have you back

maduncle

Quote from: rod-on on May 25, 2014, 06:45:14 AM
I'm so glad to see you reemerge, or come out of hibernation perhaps ... anyway its great to have you back

Silly old thing called 'life' got in the way of all things steampunk.

That, and having five motorcycles to restore.

Melrose

I joined this forum a little while ago and so far have simply browsed. I discovered this subforum and decided it would be ill-mannered not to say hello. I see the last movement from South Australia was 2012, but things move more slowly in our period ;)
Well, I'm nearly old enough to be steam-punk without too much modification - I am 0.68 of a century plus a few days. My forum name is just a surname, Melrose, after a somewhat legendary pilot from my town, Adelaide (Glenelg, to be precise), Jimmy Melrose. Though fascinated by the culture, I am a novice, or possibly a n00b, a word never used by Wells or Verne. I grew up with them. Not the authors, exactly, but their books.
Others in these pages have commented on the lack of like minds here, and the posts on this page seem infrequent, though the rest of the forum is alive and well. I find there's an annual steampunk weekend at our local railway museum, and a city shop catering for, among other styles, steampunk fashions. We have plenty of nice localities, indoors and out (I'll publish a few pics if anyone is interested, and if there's an appropriate part of the forum).
I've begun gathering suitable attire, a sort of bucket list (or maybe senility!) thing. Most of it I can easily wear as part of my usual clothing - a waistcoat with fob watch is a conversation starter but not too ostentatious. It only takes a few tweaks and an interesting hat to make the look "steampunk".

Sorontar

Welcome Melrose. Aussie Steampunk is still alive but as you have noticed just not as vocal in this forum as it used to be. I am glad you have found some local events and attractions. I find that I can generally steampunk any event I am going to. Got some camping coming up and going to steampunk glam up the tent a little.

Melrose

Thank you! It's early days yet, and I'm sure it'll come!

Banfili

Great heaven's, maduncle! Where have you been, sir, and what have you been doing, if one may ask?

maduncle

Er...

Anyone still here?

Banfili

Of course!
Just waiting for you , sir!

Sorontar

I'll have to register your QR[1] number first. Everyone must be accounted.

Sorontar
[1] Queen's Regulations, of course

Hurricane Annie

Hatches are battened

Synistor 303

I'm still standing...

And still planning to visit the SA Steampunk September event.