News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

North American Steampunks

Started by Kitten Brigadier, January 05, 2010, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Corsair

Quote from: Zwack on February 05, 2010, 02:40:55 PM
Clackamas is a county.  Milwaukie, Oregon City, Gladstone, Happy Valley, Damascus, Boring, Estacada (getting more and more remote as I go down the list) would also object to being called part of Portland. 

The Portland Conurbation I could accept.  But saying that Hillsboro is a suburb of Portland is like saying that Tacoma is a suburb of Seattle.  :P

Z.

Clackamas is also a town, dear.  That's where Clackamas Town Center is located.  :P

Hillsboro is WAY closer to PDX that Tacoma to Seattle.
Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

Mr. Moonchylde

Northern Kentucky Steampunk (Alexandria, Ky, specifically), reporting in. And apparently the only one in NKY... I've tried to convert some of the non-believers over to the steamside, but it seems the forces of Ninjas and cyberpunk have taken over my area.  >:(

Zwack

Quote from: Lady Corsair on February 05, 2010, 05:40:26 PM
Clackamas is a county.  Milwaukie, Oregon City, Gladstone, Happy Valley, Damascus, Boring, Estacada (getting more and more remote as I go down the list) would also object to being called part of Portland. 

The Portland Conurbation I could accept.  But saying that Hillsboro is a suburb of Portland is like saying that Tacoma is a suburb of Seattle.  :P

Z.

Clackamas is also a town, dear.  That's where Clackamas Town Center is located.  :P

Hillsboro is WAY closer to PDX that Tacoma to Seattle.

Clackamas is apparently a  "Census Designated Place".  It's an area that people live in, but it is not an actual town.  Clackamas Town Center is... A shopping mall. Happy Valley is however a City (even though it has a lower population).

Don't ask me how they make these distinctions.

Z.
"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.

Powerslave60

Livonia, Michigan is where I live, but Honey Creek, Indiana (near Muncie) is my home.  
"But if we don't cut down the trees, how will we make our houses?"

marr5

Z.
well they are all apart of the metropolitan area, but if you pay enough attention to the railroads then you can spot town or city signs that designate the town or city limits (or at least that is what they were back in the Railroading days>
Josh Cirillo
OR, USA

Prof. Von Zott

I'm in the mountains of North Georgia

Jeremiah Thomas Amblar

patron_vectras

I'm in Boston, Mass

Off-semester I can be found in Carroll County, MD (the homestead)

Have spent gratuitous time in Toms River/Seaside Heights and Allentown, NJ

Spent the last two years in Erie, PA
Keep Running,
Patron Vectras ;]

"Thou shalt not cover thy neighbor's ox, thy neighbor's wife, or thy neighbor's airship" -Cpt. Everett of the Flying Cloud

sevenlies

On the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain, right across from New Orleans, Louisiana.
Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train

Mardigan

My crew and I make berth in Boston, MA as well!
Captain Rupert H. Mardigan, intrepid adventurer extraordinaire, at your service!

SoulScream

Here! In Vancouver, B.C. Canada.
Putting the "punk" into Steampunk.

MWBailey

Jersey Village, Texas, a "Bedroom Community"  just outside of  Houston, Texas, and Too Damn Far (TDF) from any major -Con. However, we do ahve Houston, Wiuch has the
1. Port of Houston, where steam-powered ships still call. and try not to rust as they wait for cargoes or to unload.
2. Battleship Texas, which used to steam all over the place, but now sits and tries not to rust whilst little children play with her guns.
3. San Jacinto Monument, erected to commemorate a battle fought when England was still in its Regency. Not sure if it can rust or not.
4. Runaway Scrape (Regency) -era reenactments. anything still extant from this period is almost guaranteed to be a little rusty, at least.
5. North Harris County Dulcimer Society, which plays tunes that date from before the (american) revolution, all the way up to about 1918 or 20 or so. Welll... My banjo rusts occasionally...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Artemis Frost

Theosophus Grey

Quote from: Mardigan on February 11, 2010, 06:14:23 AM

I've seen Boston mentioned a number of times in this and other threads - being nearby, could anyone direct me to an active SP group in that shining city?
A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.

patron_vectras

Quote from: Theosophus Grey on February 17, 2010, 07:10:08 PM

I've seen Boston mentioned a number of times in this and other threads - being nearby, could anyone direct me to an active SP group in that shining city?

Active? no. everyone is too busy with school, methinks. Then again, I might be missing something...
Keep Running,
Patron Vectras ;]

"Thou shalt not cover thy neighbor's ox, thy neighbor's wife, or thy neighbor's airship" -Cpt. Everett of the Flying Cloud

Winston Smith

Orlando Fl.
Nothing is real here except crazy cops so, I still don't fit in  ;)
Pirate by day, Ninja by night
I dabble in rocket science, when I'm not picking my nose

Theosophus Grey

Quote from: patron_vectras on February 17, 2010, 10:40:02 PM
Quote from: Theosophus Grey on February 17, 2010, 07:10:08 PM

Active? no. everyone is too busy with school, methinks. Then again, I might be missing something...

Perchance someone residing therein would kindly start a Boston Steampunk thread, so that we may take a headcount and possibly arrange for events?   ;)
A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.

CaptainAlwinn

My Crew and I are located in the land locked location of Palo Alto, CA.
We port in San Francisco, and Half Moon Bay.
|Steam Operated| SKY CAPTAIN | Sariel N. Alwinn|Ship Captain of Renhs|Made of fiction |

mizpriz

Probably one of the only steampirates to hail from the Reno, Nevada area, unless the others are hiding in airships behind the mountains. I'm brand-new to this board; is there an introduction thread or any other protocol I should follow to say hello?

Winston Smith

I think this is the introductions, hidden quite logically in Off Topic > Non-Steampunk  :D
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,5.0.html
Pirate by day, Ninja by night
I dabble in rocket science, when I'm not picking my nose

mizpriz

Why thank you! I wandered aimlessly around the boards for a few minutes trying to find an intro thread before noticing that my 3yo was washing my 16yo's iPod in the bathroom sink, then I lost direction entirely. ;D

pewtersmith

Quote from: mizpriz on February 20, 2010, 05:19:21 AM
Probably one of the only steampirates to hail from the Reno, Nevada area, unless the others are hiding in airships behind the mountains. I'm brand-new to this board; is there an introduction thread or any other protocol I should follow to say hello?
Not from Reno , but the Neverwas Haul will be gathering a Steampunk Village for Burning Man this year , just up the desert highway from you , stop in and play with us.

mizpriz

That in itself is reason to attend Burning Man!! I worked at the Denny's off I-80 and McCarran for several years and we'd get the burners as customers both going in and coming out. It was my favorite week to work.

Shocktop407

Reporting in from Michigan. Hopefully tomorrow's snowstorm won't affect my dirigible's fuel efficiency overmuch.

:D
Why buy it when you can make it yourself?
http://www.facebook.com/nautilus54

MalContent

York PA  so close to Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Baltimore, harrisburg and DC....sucky city but great location!
"God Created Alcohol so the Irish wouldn't take over the world"