News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gin-Soaked

I must sincerely apologise for my absence for the last month or so, life has been somewhat hectic recently! But anyway, let's get this show on the road (that wasn't cheesy at all...)

Sadly, due to reasons explained here, it is not really possible to have an event that mixes those that are walking, and those that wish to take the train. :(

But apart from that, I think we should move forward and sort out some transport.

It seems most people, including myself, are asking for a space in someone's car and as such, this isn't going to work. :D So as Mr. Harrison suggested, I think we should arrive at Bangor by train. From there we can catch a bus to Llanberis (they run throughout the day).

How does that sound?

Gin.

Blimey, I've just taken a look at the train prices...  :o

James Harrison

I've booked the Friday off work, so now onto booking trains and camp grounds/ B&B.  There's a train direct from Birmingham arriving Bangor about 12.30, which I'll probably catch. 

I can't believe it is only two weeks away now- it's crept up on us  :D
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Gazongola

Really? Whats the date of it again?

DreamHazard

I live in a bed and breakfast near Colwyn Bay, we have 6 beds (4 single, 1 double) perhaps I could barter cheap accomodation for a lift?

Gin-Soaked

Out of interest, how many of you could do the Sunday instead?  ???

Gin.

James Harrison

As it's a Bank Holiday, I could do the Sunday, but would then no doubt have issues getting back on the Monday.  Plus I'd have to come up on the Saturday, which would mean staying another night and thus add to the cost.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

E. T. Jonasson

Sunday should be all right with me. I might have work that whole weekend though, it turns out. If I get it, that is. I will keep you guys posted.

In all likelihood I can make it though.

By-the-by, DreamHazard, what is the name of the B&B you live in? I'm afraid I can't offer you a lift as I will be taking the train, but mayhap I could stay the night as a regular paying customer?

DreamHazard

It's not exactly a running business yet, we take exchange students only at the moment, but I'm sure provision can be made, I'll find out details for you if you're still interested

William Ichabod Dachary

I, for one, would find the Sunday most appealing.

Gazongola

If these doings are this month, chances are I won't be making them.

James Harrison

It's on May 29th or 30th, which is the Whitsun bank holiday.

Gazongola

Oh right. May or may not then. (Pun not intended). I have about £150 to last me to the end of the month and things will be happening between now and then.

James Harrison

Oh dear, I'll hope for the best and may see you there then. 

Now here's a thought- some of us are planning to go up on the Friday and camp over the weekend.  If we are putting off the ascent of the mountain until the Sunday, as Ginsoaked has suggested, we could go around the Slate Museum and on the narrow gauge railway (the Llanberis Lake Railway) on the Saturday, and maybe (if we can safely reach them) explore the remains of the Dinorwic slate quarries and galleries.

E. T. Jonasson

Camping? Sounds interesting. How many people are planning on doing this? And even more importantly - do you have spare room in a tent?

William Ichabod Dachary

I get paid on the Friday before. I have thus two days to purchase a waistcoat I've had my eye on for two months, as well as a firearm from this selection of glorious antiques:

I call discovering such items in such quantities "steamgasm." I'm not sure if bringing a firearm, no matter how antique or deactivated, would be received on Snowdon, but it's a necessary purchase nonetheless.

Really rather looking forward to these japes!

Gin-Soaked

We need an old canvas tent, portable old-style chairs (and perhaps a table), and a portable gramophone for the camp at the summit. Do any of you own any of these items? Or easily get hold of them? I'm going to raid the local antique shops at some point this week.

Gin.

James Harrison

I've just sorted out my tent, practiced setting it up and gave up.  I think the two longer poles support the structure and then the outer covering ties onto them somehow, but the precise details of it are a mystery to me.  Of course, it'll be easier to erect it on a grassy field than on my back garden, which in any case looks like someone (ie- my parents) made merry with concrete and paving slabs  :D

This is embarressing- an architectural assistant defeated by a canvas and string contraption  :-\

Has anyone found a camping site yet?

Edit:  A very swift google search presented this:
http://www.walestouristsonline.co.uk/snowdonia/campsite/Llanberis_Camp_Site.html

Sir A Poiselamppe

Yes, that's where I was planning on staying....

The Governess

having factored in train and bus costs, campsite cost and a weekend's meals to buy, (as I won't be able to carry tent, campbed, equipment, clothing and food), come added to that an unanticipated car cost, I'm not going to be able to afford this expedition.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, please post lots of photos!

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

E. T. Jonasson

Well, it seems as if the potential work I had that weekend is even less than potential. Therefore, I will definitely make it! Hopefully I can persuade the lady to join us as well...

E. T. Jonasson

Important question! Are we actually going on the Sunday or was that just a suggestion? Gin-Soaked?

DreamHazard: Details would be interesting, yes. Sorry for my late reply.

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: E. T. Jonasson on May 22, 2010, 08:54:17 PM
Important question! Are we actually going on the Sunday or was that just a suggestion? Gin-Soaked?

Sorry, Umm.. yes, it seem that most people are okay with it, so Sunday it is for the actual walk. I believe we are going to make a weekend of it though. Go up on the Saturday (or Friday if you like), and return on Sunday or Monday.

Is that all right chaps?

Gin.

Mrs Van Horne

Unfortunately I will not be able to make this event, sadly, as I will be touting my wares at a local Crafts Market on the Saturday (cashing in on the bank holiday weekend tourists!)

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~

James Harrison

Quote from: Gin-Soaked on May 22, 2010, 11:09:57 PM
Quote from: E. T. Jonasson on May 22, 2010, 08:54:17 PM

Sorry, Umm.. yes, it seem that most people are okay with it, so Sunday it is for the actual walk. I believe we are going to make a weekend of it though. Go up on the Saturday (or Friday if you like), and return on Sunday or Monday.

Is that all right chaps?

Gin.

That's absolutely fine.  Lots of interesting slate-industry related tourist attractions in Llnaberis to visit!

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I just practiced putting up my tent.

:o

There's.... about 15 different pieces.