News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

I did battle with my tent last weekend.  It.... didn't end well.  But I'm sure it'll be fine next week.  I hope. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

E. T. Jonasson

Sorry, Umm.. yes, it seem that most people are okay with it, so Sunday it is for the actual walk. I believe we are going to make a weekend of it though. Go up on the Saturday (or Friday if you like), and return on Sunday or Monday.

That's alright, just needed a definitive answer. :)

That means it will probably be just me coming, since The Lady is busy on Sunday. Would any of you fine chaps have a spare bed-place in your tents?

/E. T. Jonasson

P.S: It might be of use to compile a list of the people with tents, how many places they have in them, and how many are contending for them. D.S.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on May 23, 2010, 12:59:58 PM
I just practiced putting up my tent.

:o

There's.... about 15 different pieces.

Courage mon brave...

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: E. T. Jonasson on May 23, 2010, 03:54:13 PM

Sorry, Umm.. yes, it seem that most people are okay with it, so Sunday it is for the actual walk. I believe we are going to make a weekend of it though. Go up on the Saturday (or Friday if you like), and return on Sunday or Monday.

That's alright, just needed a definitive answer. :)

That means it will probably be just me coming, since The Lady is busy on Sunday. Would any of you fine chaps have a spare bed-place in your tents?

/E. T. Jonasson

P.S: It might be of use to compile a list of the people with tents, how many places they have in them, and how many are contending for them. D.S.

Having retented (is this a word) recently I have  a spare tent of the Ridge variety, which has, like SIr Nicks a great many parts.... I could bring it along, would this be useful?

E. T. Jonasson

It would indeed. How many people could fit into your fiendishly complicated tent-contraption?

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: E. T. Jonasson on May 24, 2010, 10:31:18 PM
It would indeed. How many people could fit into your fiendishly complicated tent-contraption?

Supposedly 3  :o, 2 with a modicum of comfort, but as I have another tent anyway you will have it to yourself.....

It looks similar to this....

and now, in case anyone is interested....here is the weather

at the summitt of Snowdon

http://www.fhc.co.uk/weather/current/summit.asp

and in LLanberis

http://www.fhc.co.uk/weather/current/llanberis.asp

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I'll confess to becoming a bit twitchy - The jacket I ordered from ebay hasn't arrived yet.

E. T. Jonasson

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on May 24, 2010, 10:39:52 PM

Supposedly 3  :o, 2 with a modicum of comfort, but as I have another tent anyway you will have it to yourself.....

(Image)

I thank you most graciously, Dear Sir, for letting me use your tent.

However, it would seem that Real Life, as it is commonly known, has thrown me a most unpleasant bone to chew on.   >:( I am currently quite ill, with fever, coughing and the whole shebang, as we gentlemen would put it. Hopefully I will recover in time for our intrepid quest, but for now, please assume my absence from this most noble of climbs.  :(

That's rather a shame, get well soon!

I shall be bringing a 2-man tent, as it's the only tent I own. If anyone needs the use of the other half, they're welcome to it.

I'll also be bringing a gas stove. My current plan is to arrive at about 6 or so on the saturday.

Mercia Thomas

I might come along but it's likely to only be for the Sunday.  Which route are you taking up Snowdon and what time and where are you meeting?  Bearing in mind it's a Bank Holiday weekend the car park on the pass is bound to be full by 8.30.  Have you got a time in mind for your picnic on the summit in case I run late? 

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Mercia Thomas on May 25, 2010, 09:49:33 PM
I might come along but it's likely to only be for the Sunday.  Which route are you taking up Snowdon and what time and where are you meeting?  Bearing in mind it's a Bank Holiday weekend the car park on the pass is bound to be full by 8.30.  Have you got a time in mind for your picnic on the summit in case I run late?  

If you want to meet us here at some point early Sunday morning (Not too early though :P) that would be splendid. :) We will probably spend a while on the summit, an hour or so, but if you send me/us your mobile number, we can keep in touch, and we may be able to delay the departure time accordingly. As for the route, I believe there is one leading from the camp site, so that will probably be the one we go for. :-\

I will be bringing a camping stove, a ton of gas, and supplies for myself (if that's the way we're doing it).

Gin.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: E. T. Jonasson on May 25, 2010, 06:49:35 PM
Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on May 24, 2010, 10:39:52 PM

(Image)

I thank you most graciously, Dear Sir, for letting me use your tent.

However, it would seem that Real Life, as it is commonly known, has thrown me a most unpleasant bone to chew on.   >:( I am currently quite ill, with fever, coughing and the whole shebang, as we gentlemen would put it. Hopefully I will recover in time for our intrepid quest, but for now, please assume my absence from this most noble of climbs.  :(

Commiserations my dear sir, as I shall be leaving  on Friday I shall take the tent, just in case.. Hope there is a speedy recovery.......

Mercia Thomas

Hi Gin-soaked,
What sort of time is early?  We're just debating whether to drive up Sunday morning or stay over.  I've done rather a lot of camping and the prospect of a nice, warm bed is currently more appealing than the tent. 

Looking a Metcheck, the weather looks to be clearing up for the weekend so we might have some nice weather. 

Are you guys wearing appropriate or Steampunk footwear?   

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Mercia Thomas on May 26, 2010, 04:17:58 PM
Hi Gin-soaked,
What sort of time is early?  We're just debating whether to drive up Sunday morning or stay over.  I've done rather a lot of camping and the prospect of a nice, warm bed is currently more appealing than the tent. 

Looking a Metcheck, the weather looks to be clearing up for the weekend so we might have some nice weather. 

Are you guys wearing appropriate or Steampunk footwear?   

I am unsure how early, I would say around 0800 hours at a wild guess. But personally, I think you should stay over on Saturday night, it would make things a lot easier for you.

As for footwear, I'm going to be wearing decent boots i.e. non-steampunk :D I can't risk wearing impractical shoes, and I suggest you [all] do the same.

Gin.

William Ichabod Dachary

I have already informed the good Gin-Soaked character, and will inform the populace thus; sadly, due to fiscal reasons, I shall not be able to attend.

¬D

Gin-Soaked

Ummm... Is anyone driving through Worcestershire on their way to Wales by any chance? ??? If so, could I please have a lift? (I will of course pay towards fuel) ;D - I have lost my railcard, and I cannot afford to pay the extortionate prices. :(

Be my saviour!

Gin.

Gin-Soaked

I hate to inform you all of the following news, but I seems I will not be able to attend this event, for a few reasons. I really hate doing this, as I have been looking forward to said event for around 5 months now since I came up with the idea of a steampunk-edition of the Three Peaks Challenge. The reasons are not ones I usually let stand in my way when it comes to mountaineering, but regrettably, they have prevailed. They are as follows:

Firstly, there's money, I have lost my railcard, and as such the train prices are ludicrously expensive, there are also camping costs, food, and items of clothing I need to purchase for the trip.

Secondly, there's family, I haven't been up to see my father in almost 6 months, and because of reasons outlined in part three, this weekend is the only time I can go up until August.

Thirdly, there is revision. I am currently slap-bang in the middle of exam season, and all my waking hours are currently consumed by revision, making tea, and sneaky visits to facebook. I was hoping for this weekend to be a nice break from it all in the Welsh mountains, but unfortunately it is also my only window of opportunity to visit family.

Words cannot convey my apologies. But please, please, go and have a fantastic time!

I'm so bloody sorry.  :(

Gin.

E. T. Jonasson

It's never fun having to withdraw from an outing, ans especially not one you yourself has organised! May I suggest that another intrepid adventurer be designated the official co-ordinator, or that a definitive meeting time (both for Saturday & Sunday) is decided upon, so that the people who can attend know where/when they are going?

As for myself, I feel somewhat better, partly thanks to the well-wishes that have been sent from here, but I do not believe I will be fit for a mountain hike so soon after being ill (I will still be taking antibiotics on Sunday).

Instead I wish all who do go a pleasant day!

/E.T. Jonasson

Mercia Thomas

Gentlemen, I wish you both well with regard to your exams/health. Let's hope we can find a date in the future when we can have another go at doing this.   

E. T. Jonasson

Does anyone have phone numbers effono sir a poiselamppe or james harrisson?

Edit: Effono? What is this nonsense? Did my phone pick up a fragment of the welsh language?

Gazongola

I have James number, i'll PM it to you.

Gin-Soaked

I wish I could be there right now...  :'(

Gin.

I am pleased to inform the board that the Brass Goggles Mountain Emasculation League made summit at 1215 yesterday, after an ascent of 4 hours and 10 minutes. In total, the trip took 7 hours and 58 minutes, including 30 minues summit time.

The Governess

well done to you all, sirs!

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk