News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honeythorn

See that's why I said individual groups should do individual peaks (whichever you live nearest) on the same day . It'd be far easier fo people to get to their nearest BG group , rather than one massive pile of us all trying to meet at each peak at a particular time all on the same day. I just dont think that would work.

Traffic may hinder people from getting there on time which would mean everyone having to wait for people to turn up before they could start, which would waste precious time that could be spent climbing.

I just think it wuld be easier for the whole thing to go ahead if there was a separate group for each peak. The groups could call eachother when at the peak, and each group take a little video perhaps, of the flag being planted as the peak is conquered by the BG explorers!  :D
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

TimeTinker

Unfortunately Honeythorne the "Challenge" part of the Three Peaks Challenge is for people to manage all three peaks themselves, otherwise it is more like synchronised mountain walking ;D

Mind you could we get that in for the London Olympics?
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

Honeythorn

That's why I said I thought it was impossible. To get that many people from all over the country all in one spot on time at each peak within 24hours sounds un-doable to me.  :-\

Gin-Soaked

Although I took it into consideration when making this thread, it seems that the challenge maybe too strenuous for the majority of aspiring participants (possibly even myself). Perhaps a smaller standalone trip to Snowdon could be arranged in the near future to see how quickly we can ascend and descend (with a tea break at the top).

If (and I don't want to sound harsh) many people find keeping to the timings difficult (approx. 4 hours for Snowdon) we could make a compromise on the challenge doings. Stretch it out over a weekend/bank holiday, and we can make a full-blown steampunk weekend out of it. ;D

Personally, I'm still up for the 24 hour challenge, and I am beginning the training ASAP.  ;)

Gin.

Sir A Poiselamppe

I'd be willing to give Snowden by itself a go .... how fast I'd be is another matter...

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on January 18, 2010, 01:06:50 AM
I'd be willing to give Snowden by itself a go .... how fast I'd be is another matter...

Well we could always just take our time and make a day of it  :)

Gin.

zpyder

As fun as attempting the challenge may be, I do wonder whether more fun would be had over a long weekend where BG'ers could take their time for each peak, relocating during the night etc. It'd be a bit safer, and open it up to more people perhaps, as well as being a bit more social!

The Governess

I'm certainly up for Snowdon as a start. It.s handy having vietsa there too so non walkers can also make the ascent- makes it an all inclusive event! (and may be the only way I can get Himself up a mountain these days?).

We'll still need the weather and the light to get up and down ok, so i'd vote for not February- may also be better picnicing weather later on too!

As you say, gin, would be a good way of gauging the feasibility of the full doings!

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Honeythorn

If anyone from Birmingham area is going to Snowdon and doesn't mind having me strapped to the roof rack or something if I can't fit in the car  ( I will pay towards fuel of course ) I'd like to do Snowdon for the day. I do a lot of walking but I've never climbed a mountain of any sort , so I don't want to attempt three peaks all at once   :o  and I'm sure there will be other mountain climbing virgins who feel similar at some point.

I presume this climb will be done in steampunk clothing of some description? Mountains can get pretty chilly in places yes? Is this a time to crack out my Reindeer fur collar and so on?  :D

The Governess

Quote from: Honeythorn on January 18, 2010, 07:07:41 PM
If anyone from Birmingham area is going to Snowdon and doesn't mind having me strapped to the roof rack or something if I can't fit in the car  ( I will pay towards fuel of course ) I'd like to do Snowdon for the day. I do a lot of walking but I've never climbed a mountain of any sort , so I don't want to attempt three peaks all at once   :o  and I'm sure there will be other mountain climbing virgins who feel similar at some point.

I presume this climb will be done in steampunk clothing of some description? Mountains can get pretty chilly in places yes? Is this a time to crack out my Reindeer fur collar and so on?  :D
We're Birmingham area - will depend on date, though, whether we can make it - if Himself is engaged elsewhere I have no car... if he's not, however, I'm sure we could fit you in.  And your reindeer collar

modified to remove excess quote-age

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
www.CrimsonClocks.com

Honeythorn

Oh wonderful!  ;D That's great I hope it's a date you have a car!  :D

The Governess

So do I - I looked into trains for it last year and it's nigh on impossible to get there anad back in a day, never mind about fit in the walk to the top.

Mind you, it's a fairly lengthy drive too - early start!

CRIMSON CLOCKS
www.CrimsonClocks.com

Tranzient Gallery

Well even though this challenge sounds great! I know I wouldn't be able to do it yet (not without some training as im out of pratice). but for those less expericenced in hill walking I will recomend starting by doing the 3 peaks challenge in Yorkshire. Ingleborough, Pen-y-gent, Whernside. http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/Yorkshire-Three-Peaks-Challenge/
It was just a thought  ;D

greensteam

For those who are not pretty seriously fit mountain walkers this is an impossibility. Only the properly prepared should attempt any of these. I am surprised this is being proposed in the winter/spring season, partly because the weather will be extreme and also not much preparation for those willing to train up for this.

A couple of years ago a (much younger, hyper-fit) friend decided she wanted all her girlfriends to join her on a mass ascent of Ben Nevis to celebrate her 40th birthday. A dozen of us went, 10 of whom were (and are) frequent marathoners etc, plus myself and another who take no formal exercise and did no preparation. We 2 unfit types said we would start the walk and bail out when we had had enough, but in the end we did both manage the whole thing. My fit friends did the whole thing in about 6 hours, it took me and my unfit pal about 9 hours. It so happened that there was a mass charity walk that day too, so the mountain was very busy. Even so, two people (not from our group) had to be airlifted off with a heart attack and a broken leg, and they hadnt got past the lower half of the route. Mountain runners were doing the whole round trip in 90 minutes!!!

You can see a few pics of our walk at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8946321@N07/sets/72157606919930996/
Note the pics of us lightly dressed at the bottom on a nice flat made up path and the contrast with the victorious pose at the top in a blizzard. Now understand how serious the weather can be on Britain's highest mountain, when I say that picture was taken in mid-JUNE!!

This is seriously not for the unprepared and nor would it be easy in victorian  costume. I think Lady Elsie has the right idea: a nice camp with tea.
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Gazongola

I am thinking as fun as it would be to do in 24 hours, maybe a long weekend would be a little better. It would still be a fantastic triumph.

greensteam

Quote from: Gazongola on January 18, 2010, 08:18:10 PM
I am thinking as fun as it would be to do in 24 hours, maybe a long weekend would be a little better. It would still be a fantastic triumph.

Gazongola,
Not my idea of fun, I would say. An achievement certainly, no matter how long it took. I take it you would bring the entire postal depot squadron?

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Gazongola

Quote from: greensteam on January 18, 2010, 08:21:35 PM
Quote from: Gazongola on January 18, 2010, 08:18:10 PM

Gazongola,
Not my idea of fun, I would say. An achievement certainly, no matter how long it took. I take it you would bring the entire postal depot squadron?

Oh I think it would be fun. And as Gin-Soaked is a member of the squad anyway, i would quite happily drag them all along.

zpyder

Quote from: greensteam on January 18, 2010, 08:14:42 PM

Note the pics of us lightly dressed at the bottom on a nice flat made up path and the contrast with the victorious pose at the top in a blizzard. Now understand how serious the weather can be on Britain's highest mountain, when I say that picture was taken in mid-JUNE!!

2nd'd. I do however recommend that people visit at least one of these 3 peaks in their lifetime, as the change in climate is quite interesting. Scafell is the shortest of the bunch, and literally my friend and I were fine and sweating buckets until the last 50m, at which point the first bit of snow could be spotted (only a few pockets mind). We were tired at the top and had to stop for a breather, but I forced us down earlier than my friend wanted to as I really was feeling the cold even through all my layers. Even more pronounced was the warming as we went down. It really is like swimming into a warm/cold patch in the sea it's so sudden I found!

Auntie Ludmilla

A spot of hill walking sounds nice. Not sure about the time constraints involved in the 3 peaks challenge though. It seems a crying shame to visit such areas of outstanding natural beauty, and not take time to look at the scenery. There are also environmental issues involved with the 3 peaks challenge, if a recent radio 4 doccumentary is to be beleived. There are so many people doing it the foot errosion and pollution has become a problem. (Pollution in this case refering not just to litter, but the ammount of people ... ahem... releiving themselves by the sides of the footpaths.) Don't mean to be a wet blanket. I like the idea of a mass walk very much. Where did the first mass tresspass (that got the land opened up for public access) happen? Something decidedly punk about that, I always thought.
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on January 18, 2010, 10:51:38 PM(Pollution in this case refering not just to litter, but the ammount of people ... ahem... releiving themselves by the sides of the footpaths.) Don't mean to be a wet blanket.

There are ways of dealing with that sort of thing so it doesn't become a hazard. It mostly involves taking it out with you.

I like the idea of a mass walk very much. Where did the first mass tresspass (that got the land opened up for public access) happen? Something decidedly punk about that, I always thought.

Kinder Scout in the Peak District, wasn't it?
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Auntie Ludmilla

Quote from: Jemima Annabelle Clough on January 18, 2010, 11:03:59 PM
Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on January 18, 2010, 10:51:38 PM(Pollution in this case refering not just to litter, but the ammount of people ... ahem... releiving themselves by the sides of the footpaths.) Don't mean to be a wet blanket.

There are ways of dealing with that sort of thing so it doesn't become a hazard. It mostly involves taking it out with you.

A little easier for the fellas, I think..... they can do it in a bottle. Oh, you mean the litter.... ?  ;)
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on January 18, 2010, 11:10:19 PM

A little easier for the fellas, I think..... they can do it in a bottle. Oh, you mean the litter.... ?  ;)

So can we - google shewee ;)
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Mr Addams

I would be up for a weekend steampunk campsite, and leisurely climb on one day. During the summer, when the weather is better, and the days are longer.
But I have no illusions about my ability, or lack thereof, to even consider the three peaks challenge at any time of year, without several months of serious training.
A simultaneous three team climb would be a good social event, and an opportunity for everyone to get the idea into perspective for a possible three peaks attempt the following year.  

TimeTinker

[quote author=Auntie Ludmilla link=topic=21490.msg493605#msg493605 date=1263855098I like the idea of a mass walk very much. Where did the first mass tresspass (that got the land opened up for public access) happen? Something decidedly punk about that, I always thought.

Kinder Scout in the Peak District, wasn't it?
[/quote]

The first mass tresspass was indeed in the Peak District onto Bleaklow/Kinder.  At one time there were wild wallabies living up that way which had been released from a private collection.  I caught a glimpse of them one winter with snow crusting their fur. I thought they were sheep until they started moving.  (I used to do a lot of winter climbing/hiking and bivouacing).
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

Auntie Ludmilla

Poor little things must've been so cold! I used to work at Riber zoo, and the wallabies were one of my favourite inmates. cute as buttons, and they never tried to bite you! (Which was a real plus..... cos most of the others took a bit of diplomacy to gt them cleaned out and fed....)