News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyelsie

Drat, The Major and I are unable to do the end of May :( I will have to pass on the teapot with crampions and crumpets to another brave person. So sorry to with draw ......
Lady Elsie.

The Governess

we are not officially booked as yet for that weekend... Although it does clash with the Tortworth vintage rally and Collectormania MK. It.s also the bank holiday weekend, so Himself may be called upon to work somewhere...

So the short answer is we're a tentative yes.

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Auntie Ludmilla

A tentative yes from us, also. finances are our main stumbling block, but we can camp to bring the cost down.
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

Gazongola

Right, well I am more than happy to still do SNowdon but I will be doing the three peaks university challenge this year with the outdoor activities soc at Wolverhampton.

Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge

Quote from: karoshi on January 26, 2010, 05:06:31 PM
Just read a bit more of the site, looks like Hafod Eryri, the new visitor centre at the summit is due to open this spring

It was open last year, I bought a beer there. I think their website may be a *tad* out of date. And the railway is still the old-fashioned rack variety, and they still run the original Swiss steam engines, although they work turn and turn about with new-fangled internal combustion devices. You book on a specific train when you buy your ticket, and as far as I can tell, you take pot-luck on the source of the locomotion ... like last summer ...

I won't do the walk with you on the 29th, as I'll probably be spending a week in Llanberis over the summer anyway. But I'd be up for doing the whole challenge in tweeds next year!

James Harrison

Good grief, the rack railway was abnout £20 a ticket when I last went to Wales 14 years ago.  I dread to think how much it costs now.

I'm definitely up for this ascent however if I can get a lift from Birmingham- I'll contribute to petrol money of course.  Now, what I need to procure beforehand are tweeds, a flat cap, a decent cane and a hip flask, some good gloves and mountaineering goggles and bottled oxygen should the exertions prove beyond any of us. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

zpyder

Well I'm still not having any luck getting a friend or colleague to join me for a week in the lake district walking, so if anyone here fancies a week (17th-24th April) walking in the lakes with a total stranger they met on the internet, the offer is there :| Kinda looking to split the costs halfway which works out at £180 for the week...it'd be practice for the snowdon trip perhaps!

Gazongola

Quote from: zpyder on February 06, 2010, 05:01:25 PM
Well I'm still not having any luck getting a friend or colleague to join me for a week in the lake district walking, so if anyone here fancies a week (17th-24th April) walking in the lakes with a total stranger they met on the internet, the offer is there :| Kinda looking to split the costs halfway which works out at £180 for the week...it'd be practice for the snowdon trip perhaps!

I would, but I think I will still be at University at the time.

Skinner

I'd like to register my interest for the day trip at least. Why, yes, I do have a flag...

I'll also provide a large picnic blanket if the weather's agreeable.

James Harrison

We need a copy of The Chap to read at the summit, simply to get ourselves into its esteemed pages.  Of course, I shall provide the magazine. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: Skinner on February 14, 2010, 08:34:02 PM
I'd like to register my interest for the day trip at least. Why, yes, I do have a flag...

I'll also provide a large picnic blanket if the weather's agreeable.

Well done...are you going to carry it all the way up Snowdon, or will your mechanical butler be accompanying you?

skippiethebush

ooo i have just read this. i dont know if were busy then or not but im intrestred in snowdon. :D

E. T. Jonasson

A day trip does sound interesting - though I am not sure how long it would take to get there from Reading...

I would be able to make the 29th, however I think tea and biscuits are an absolute must-have, so we should choose a weekend when Lady Elsie and the Major can attend.  ;D

Grumfoss

Sorry to jump on this thread so late, but I would love to come and have a go, however I would love to make a weekend out of it and do a spot of camping. Any decent campsites close by?

Sir A Poiselamppe

There do seem to be a few, this one however is in Llanberis, where the railway and the tourist path up Snowdon start

http://www.totaltravel.co.uk/link.asp?fid=1067416

and it has showers too...

May take the tent too, given the distance involved....

Himself

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on March 08, 2010, 10:50:57 PM
There do seem to be a few, this one however is in Llanberis, where the railway and the tourist path up Snowdon start

http://www.totaltravel.co.uk/link.asp?fid=1067416

and it has showers too...

May take the tent too, given the distance involved....

they also do self catering as well by the looks of it

Click the picture to be magically transported to our FB page.
http://nigelwheelertimedealer.yolasite.com/

Sir A Poiselamppe

There is a minimum of 8 for the self catering, They do have a camping barn however....

there also seems of be a proliferation of railways too...

http://www.greatlittletrainsofwales.co.uk/llanberis.html

Esme Moore

I'd be interested in going for a day trip, perhaps to help with tea and scones for the intrepid adventurers, if someone can offer a place in their charabanc to convey me there.  Regrettably,  I would not be up to the exertions of actually climbing one of the peaks myself.

Gin-Soaked

It seems that this has gained a fair bit of interest, and I think I have allowed this thread to mature enough for us to take the next step.
So far 20 people have said they would be interested in going (the list below). But some have not stated whether or not they would do the climb or take the train. If your name is in the list, please take the time to post your method of ascent. And of course, if you're new to the thread and you want to come along, post and let me know.  :)

• Gin-Soaked  - Walk
  • stockton_joans
  • The Governess - Walk
  • Himself - Train
  • Gazongola - Walk
  • Sir A Poiselamppe - Walk up/Train down
  • SteamBlast Mary
  • zpyder
  • karoshi - Train
  • James Harrison - Walk
  • Sir Nikolas Vendigroth - Walk
  • Skinner
  • skippiethebush
  • Grumfoss
  • Esme Moore - Train
  • E. T. Jonasson

Gin.

James Harrison

Gin-Soaked

The Governess

I'm up for the walk.

Himself would be by train.

We also think the camping is a very good idea- maybe a group of us would want to camp over on one of the nights to prevent huge amounts of driving/ walking/ driving all on the same day...?

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I'll walk, although I'll probably not make it to the top due to being distracted by interesting rocks.

Please, limit me to collecting only about 20 pounds of rock samples.

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: The Governess on March 14, 2010, 08:26:40 PM
We also think the camping is a very good idea- maybe a group of us would want to camp over on one of the nights to prevent huge amounts of driving/ walking/ driving all on the same day...?

Logistics and accommodation will be the next stage of planning.  ;)

Gin.

Gazongola