News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

United Kingdom Register of Interests

Started by Doctor When, June 25, 2007, 10:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor When

Just out of interest, and with a view to a potential future get-together of some sort (costumed, naturally!), whereabouts do those of you based in the United Kingdom reside in an approximate geographical sense?

I often find that the Imperial Telegraphical Network is a wonderful place to meet like-minded people, such as this very forum, but there really is no substitute for going out and drinking gin until the ealry hours whilst confusing and alarming "ordinary folk".

I myself am Birmingham based, right in the industrial Midlands.

Et toi?

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!

Pheobsky

Having just learned that 3 of my lessons have been canceled I have found myself at home & at liberty to answer to such calls...

I am in London

I also believe that there was a certain amount of discussion concerning a london based meeting, but as of yet nothing has been organised!
Them/they

Tristian Dreyman

I am located in the rather flat and, currently, rather wet county of Suffolk, near the fair town of Bury St Edmunds. I really must get a picture of the exterior of the brewery... it is full of coppery tubing and gauge goodness.
"What's that?"
"Hmm? Oh a mechanical lobster."
"Why?"
"Why not?"

The Professor

I reside in the little honeypot of Poole in deepest darkest Dorset.
Life is usually a self made maze, whose walls are fear and prejudice.

Tinkergirl

Birmingham you say?  Why, what a coincidence.  I reside in Edgbaston, though I am often to be found in Clayhanger, just off Brownhills (and in the Wallsall area).

Good grief man, you're practically local.

Alderman Simeon

Were you to travel the route of the world's first passenger railway, you would pass within one hundred yards of my house. I can see the station (now a museum) from my front window.
Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.

Doctor When

Quote from: Alderman Simeon on June 25, 2007, 01:32:17 PM
Were you to travel the route of the world's first passenger railway, you would pass within one hundred yards of my house. I can see the station (now a museum) from my front window.

*sticks pin in Swansea bay*

Alderman Simeon

Quote from: Doctor When on June 25, 2007, 04:27:11 PM
Quote from: Alderman Simeon on June 25, 2007, 01:32:17 PM

*sticks pin in Swansea bay*

Nowhere near me.
Contents under pressure.

Tinkergirl

Mumble?  The internet said Mumble, but I wasn't entirely sure what that meant.

Alderman Simeon

Quote from: Tinkergirl on June 25, 2007, 09:46:37 PM
Mumble?  The internet said Mumble, but I wasn't entirely sure what that meant.

I should clarify: the first permanent, steam-hauled public passenger railway.
Contents under pressure.

Doctor When

Good grief, Sir! One would think I was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

*moves pin to Darlington*

Lilithgow

'Sunny' Finchley, North London. Home of "Inky" Stevens, inventor of the ball point pen.
"I am a wordsmith. I take the words available to me and shovel them into the furnace of literature."

Alderman Simeon

Quote from: Doctor When on June 26, 2007, 10:16:25 AM
Good grief, Sir! One would think I was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

*moves pin to Darlington*

{removes large pin from left shoulder; wipes blood from jacket sleeve}

Of course, you could have simply looked here.
Contents under pressure.

Doctor When

And spoil the excitement of research? Never, Sir!

mr gilbert flint

i myself reside in the historic town of beverley east yorkshire.currently under a couple of inches of water on my side of town :o
I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council

The Professor

Quote from: mr gilbert flint on June 26, 2007, 11:21:11 AM
i myself reside in the historic town of beverley east yorkshire.currently under a couple of inches of water on my side of town :o

I hope the weather clears up a bit so that it doesn't get any higher.

Doctor When

I've just been speaking to Nurse When, whose parents reside in Rotherham - luckily atop a tall hill, as much of their region is in a spot of watery bother. Their electricity supply has been curtailed, as unfortunately their local substation does not carry a diving-bell as part of it's normal repertoire.

Apparently, the borough of Rotherham has a dammed reservoir, which is creaking at the seams.

Fingers crossed that everyone Up North is blessed with a speedy return to boat-free normality.

The Professor

Well there don't seem to be many pins on the map.

Doctor When

Indeed. It looks like the British Isles have been deserted in preference for the Colonies! Or, the straight-backed stiff-upper-lip English reserve is preventing the less Narcissistic from declaring their locale.

Ashflex

I recently moved to Warrington, in the North West.  Hoping to visit the local museum soon as it appears to have a fair bit of victorian displays.

As soon as I have more money coming in I'd be happy to travel if a meet up was planned somewhere.

Andy_W

moves pin to Darlington Be prepaired for a Parmo, the Northern delicacy!

But for me it's Brum during the week, secret lab at weekends! 

Alderman Simeon

Quote from: Dohickey on June 28, 2007, 01:17:00 AM
moves pin to Darlington Be prepaired for a Parmo, the Northern delicacy!

I don't actually know what a Parmo is, believe it or nay, being not at all Northern in habit.

(Also, your link is odd.)
Contents under pressure.

Professor Fzz

Another pin for your map: my secret laboratory is next to the River Thames, somewhere between Richmond and Kingston.  Just follow the sound of the explosions from the tennis ball cannon my son and I built last weekend :)
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley

Doctor When

Quote from: Ashflex on June 28, 2007, 12:55:31 AM
I recently moved to Warrington, in the North West.  Hoping to visit the local museum soon as it appears to have a fair bit of victorian displays.

As soon as I have more money coming in I'd be happy to travel if a meet up was planned somewhere.

Additionaly, I reccommend MAGNA in Rotherham, which has some of the most amazing gas-discharge devices, Jacob's ladders and three-storey high arc furnaces you could ever wish for. Outside of the main exhibits everything is rivetted iron, cavernous spaces, and rusty metal lit by moody science fiction lighting. It's so Steampunk, it makes me cry.

Quote from: Dohickey on June 28, 2007, 01:17:00 AMBut for me it's Brum during the week, secret lab at weekends!

That's three of us in propinquity to "The Venice of the Midlands", then! Our heroine Tinkergirl, your good self, and I.

We ought to do something...

Alderman Simeon

Quote from: Doctor When on June 28, 2007, 10:26:10 AM
That's three of us in propinquity to "The Venice of the Midlands", then! Our heroine Tinkergirl, your good self, and I.

We ought to do something...

If you will permit me, I would suggest that Blist's Hill is the obvious place; not that far from Brum.
Contents under pressure.