News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

United Kingdom Register of Interests

Started by Doctor When, June 25, 2007, 10:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir A Poiselamppe

[Nowadays it's more bowling at the Kursall and pondering-when-it's-going-to-finally-fall-down on the Pier.
Ain't Southend grand  :P
[/quote]

You mean It hasn't yet!!!

Regards from sunny Beckenham, Kent (not everything inside the M25 is London you know)

Dr cornelius quack

Quote from: InsanityBites on May 07, 2008, 09:18:16 AM
I'm in Penzance, Cornwall. Rather amazed to find I'm not the only one in Cornwall, actually--hi, Suetekh!

(I'm amazed that relative distances have me considering Bodmin remotely close... Penzance is about as far from everywhere as it's possible to get.)

Good pirate country though.

Dr. Q.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Mich

* Hove*
( I'm right next door to atticus, and down the road from Mr. Ethan. ;D)

Gwendolyn

Quote from: Angel on October 11, 2007, 04:13:28 PM
Quote from: Lopt on October 10, 2007, 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: xAngelx on October 10, 2007, 05:15:04 PM
Not that far from me then  ;)

I like Lincoln, the shopping there's pretty good.

I plan to rape the shops with the abundance of old radios and what not that's halfway up the hill.

Yeah I've seen that shop, it always intrigued me but I've never been in.

Can one enter said shop?

Oooh, that sounds like fun. I was in Lincoln not even a week ago, being presented to the family of a young gentleman who I am rather fond of. We did explore the hill, and I was absolutely smitten with the used book shops, but I can't remember seeing a shop like the one you're speaking of. Maybe next time...

I am currently living and studying in the Athens of the North, Edinburgh. (Or Auld Reekie, or even perhaps Din Eidyn - such a magical city has surely earned all its names.) Although I will be returning to the colonies for the summer, hopefully afterwards I will be here more or less permanently. I am also in Oxford quite often, as the aforementioned gent is currently employed there.

Paul 8v

Quote from: Drake White on April 25, 2008, 08:45:03 PM
Quote from: JoMiD Cornea on February 26, 2008, 12:43:22 PM
Namaste
I stroll the promenade and remember the golden days of my youth ;)
Bands at the Kursall Ballroom and donuts on the Pier 8)
http://www.francisfrith.com/search/england/essex/southend-on-sea/photos/southend-on-sea_40909.htm

Nowadays it's more bowling at the Kursall and pondering-when-it's-going-to-finally-fall-down on the Pier.
Ain't Southend grand  :P

Ah there ARE people from round saaarfend who are into steampunk, I live in maldon but work in the bas-vegas / saarfend area

The Lady

I currently reside in Liverpool, for studies, though as soon as the dratted examinations have ended I have a jaunt planned to Plymouth on the south coast.
Only for a week before I return to London for the summer.
So its Liverpool term time, but London will always truly be my home...

The Lady

Hepzibah Falkenheim

Quote from: Professor Lidenbrock on July 29, 2007, 03:29:11 PM
I live in North Tyneside because...well,somebody has to.

Let me share the burden.  Although I currently reside in Jarrow, my formative years were spent in Whitley Bay :)
""When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-- C. S. Lewis, 1966"

Gentleman

Looking on the map, I see a pin in the vicinity of Liverpool, but am positively shocked to see none in Manchester!

It is quite possibly the most Steampunk city in the world! (London may be the only competitor)
Why, you may ask? Well, for one thing, it's the first ever industrial city in the world, ever. It was the cotton mills in Manchester that began the industrial revolution. Not only that, but in the city centre many old Victorian buildings still stand, which are a delight to look at (I must take some pictures for you one day), and last, but certainly not least, there's the Museum of Science and Industry, where, housed in the former terminal of the Liverpool to Manchester railway, are several stationary and locomotive REAL LIVE WORKING STEAM ENGINES!

Now, if that's not steampunk enough, I don't know what is. Could I be pinned on that map, please?

Orlando

The map hasn't been updated in quite a while. (Page 6 of the thread, 11 October 2007).
This makes the task an unenviable one.

Orlando.

Dr cornelius quack

Quote from: Gentleman on May 10, 2008, 05:32:18 PM
Looking on the map, I see a pin in the vicinity of Liverpool, but am positively shocked to see none in Manchester!

It is quite possibly the most Steampunk city in the world! (London may be the only competitor)
Why, you may ask? Well, for one thing, it's the first ever industrial city in the world, ever. It was the cotton mills in Manchester that began the industrial revolution. Not only that, but in the city centre many old Victorian buildings still stand, which are a delight to look at (I must take some pictures for you one day), and last, but certainly not least, there's the Museum of Science and Industry, where, housed in the former terminal of the Liverpool to Manchester railway, are several stationary and locomotive REAL LIVE WORKING STEAM ENGINES!

Now, if that's not steampunk enough, I don't know what is. Could I be pinned on that map, please?

Quite so. We Mancunians are thoroughly spoiled when it comes to Victoriana.
Makes one feel quite sad for all those people who don't have the benefit of living here.

Dr. Q.

p.s. Spot on Mr.G. Oldham, born and bred

Angel

Quote from: Dr cornelius quack on May 10, 2008, 05:54:23 PM
Quote from: Gentleman on May 10, 2008, 05:32:18 PM

Quite so. We Mancunians are thoroughly spoiled when it comes to Victoriana.
Makes one feel quite sad for all those people who don't have the benefit of living here.

Dr. Q.

p.s. Spot on Mr.G. Oldham, born and bred

When I went to visit my brother at university in Bolton, we took the train to Manchester. I found myself constantly staring out of the window at all the wonderous architecture and just... stuff. Good times.

I found myself doing the same thing on a visit to Sheffield University with college.

I've always wondered with this map, what are the large pins labelled 4 and 5?
"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 13, 2008, 09:04:17 PM
Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.

Gwendolyn

Quote from: Angel on May 11, 2008, 02:52:24 PM
I've always wondered with this map, what are the large pins labelled 4 and 5?

Because those places have a number of people in them, such that pinning them each individually would have been impractical.

Zastrozzi

My secret lair is based at the northern tip of the Cotswolds.  Nice and remote for all the unholy experimentation and so on.  The only disadvantage is the werewolf problem in the countryside.  Bloody vermin.

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Zastrozzi on May 12, 2008, 10:50:00 AM
My secret lair is based at the northern tip of the Cotswolds.  Nice and remote for all the unholy experimentation and so on.  The only disadvantage is the werewolf problem in the countryside.  Bloody vermin.

Oi! Remember, werewolves are people too. Three weeks out of every four. Anyway, I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect.

Orlando

Quote from: Herr Döktor on May 12, 2008, 05:34:09 PM
Oi! Remember, werewolves are people too. Three weeks out of every four. Anyway, I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect.

Ya-Hoo, Werewolves of London by the late Warren Zevon.

Orlando

SteamBlast Mary

I reside in Worcester.

I currently am drinking Vimto.

The two facts have nothing to do with each other.

But pleased to see there are at least half a dozen other West Midlandites here, perhaps Birmingham would be a location for a meet at some point. We could, er... see the the Tony Hancock statue?
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Herr Döktor

Quote from: SteamBlast_Mary on May 12, 2008, 06:10:19 PM
I reside in Worcester.

I currently am drinking Vimto.

The two facts have nothing to do with each other.

But pleased to see there are at least half a dozen other West Midlandites here, perhaps Birmingham would be a location for a meet at some point. We could, er... see the the Tony Hancock statue?

We went to the Black Country Museum last November, so it's not unfeasible! :)

PS: I'm surely not alone in believing Vimto to be a most Steampunk beverage, am I?

PPS: Vimto, it goes without saying, is still an anagram of vomit. :(

Orlando

Quote from: Herr Döktor on May 12, 2008, 06:18:44 PM
I'm surely not alone in believing Vimto to be a most Steampunk beverage, am I?

What about Irn-Bru ?   "Brewed in Scotland frae girders!"

Orlando.

Angel

Yummy Irn Bru *now craves*

At the NEC in Birmingham they run a show called Memorabilia. It's films, sci fi, comics etc. Could be a possible meet up event?
"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 13, 2008, 09:04:17 PM
Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.

SteamBlast Mary

You know, I had never noticed that until now. It takes someone like you, Doktor, to come along and point it out.

What about Irn-Bru ?   "Brewed in Scotland frae girders!"

Mmm, Irn-Bru IS a strong contendender. However, it is orange, while Vimto is purple, and therefore wins by default in our house.

PS excuse the faulty quoting. I'm an amateur, alright?

PSS Thank Heavens for Spellcheck. I nearly declared 'I am an armature.'
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Herr Döktor

If you were an armature, could we 'bend' you to our will? :)

Jemima Annabelle Clough

My grandmother was not best pleased when I once pointed that out to her. Well, she was trying to fob me off with it by saying it was the same as Ribena
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Dr cornelius quack

Sasperilla, Licorice juice and privet beer.

A friend of mine once said that during his apprenticeship at the Horwich Loco works, he used to go to the local herbal temperance tavern to buy these beverages. This caused his wife to crash the car.

Dr. Q.

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Jemima Annabelle Clough on May 12, 2008, 07:09:04 PM

My grandmother was not best pleased when I once pointed that out to her. Well, she was trying to fob me off with it by saying it was the same as Ribena

Pah! Ribena is but a pale shadow of the one true fruit based cordial or sparkling pop!  ;)