News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Society of Air Travellers

Started by theairman, April 13, 2010, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamtastic

You can call me... well, the Squid Hunter I suppose. It’s a long and boring story which I can’t really be bothered to tell you; so it’ll try and keep this short. Basically, after a huge expedition up north, my airships where attacked and completely obliterated. By Pirates? No, think more biological, think... tentacle. You’d be close if you said Air Krakens, but if that was the case I wouldn’t be here to tell the tale now would I! The culprit was in fact a close relative though; giant sky squids. Usually a rather peaceful creature which under normal circumstances stays well away from roaring airships. I still wonder why those squid attacked us. Perhaps it knew the dark intentions I had in store for them. That they somehow sensed that I was coming. Coming to capture those flying beasts.

Let me explain what I do. After spending a year with the nomadic sky tribe of Northern Scandinavia, I witnessed many wondrous things; things you only hear of in legends. But the one thing that interested me most was the sky Cephalopods. Apparently these people have been living peacefully alongside them for generations. It is the squids that gave them the gift of hydrogen; the means to live free in the untamed sky. Don’t even ask me how I tracked down this tribe, for that’s a completely different story. Anyway, the tribe respect the squids like Gods. Something you’d expect for such uncivilised people. They failed to understand the poetical these squids have.

For you see, I’m an entrepreneur, an industrialist, a visionary. And I have big... big plans for these squids. With the ever rising number airships in our skies, the cost of hydrogen will ultimately rise too. What if I was to capture and somehow farm these squids? I’d have an unlimited supply of hydrogen which I could sell far lower than any of my competitors.  I’d control the whole bloody industry! Imagine it, every airship filled with my squid brand hydrogen. I’d make billions. Entire countries will come to me for hydrogen. And it doesn’t stop there. What if I could somehow keep the hydrogen producing organ alive inside the airship? Pilots would never have to land. Airship would have complete freedom. Of course, this technology can’t be sold to the public as I’d lose my hydrogen monopoly, but I’d make billions selling to the military. Hell, I could build a city in sky even!

So now you see the potential. The sky tribe however could not. They say the squids are sacred, that they have “powers”. They warned that if I trifled with the squids then “bad thing will happen” oooOOOooo, I’m so scared. Naturally I was banished from the tribe, but that wouldn’t stop capturing the squids. After a couple of years getting funds and the like, I managed to build a sort of prototype facility... if you like. I suppose you could call it “the farm in which the squids will be held and the hydrogen extracted” facility. Hmmmm, name needs improvements. Anyway, the method of extraction is called “tapping”. It involves piercing the squid’s envelope and removing the hydrogen, all without killing the beast. This way when the squid replenishes it’s hydrogen we can repeat the process again, rather like milking cattle I suppose, exctpt it’s completely different. However, my science team will be working on a way of removing the squid all together, leaving just the hydrogen producing organ.
The facility is small at the moment, but this soon to change when the number of squid increases. Also, when we have enough squid, we can make the facility airborne! Not sure what the advantages that will have, but it’ll sure as hell be cool! Anyway, all this is just theory until I actually capture some squid.

It was a man called Matthew Dadelszen who agreed to lead the expedition. We took north 6 airships, each specially designed to hold a sedated squid. It was important the squid remain alive. Many explorers have searched for them – the squid, but all come back empty handed. The location is a mystery, many still question they’re existence. I knew that to find the squid, you have to find someone who’s already found them... if that makes sense. So yeah, in the modern world, only I know the exact location of sky squid. We thought that this was going to be a walk in the park. Capture squid, go home, and make billions. I still remember the crew. Happy optimistic bunch. Many had never seen a sky squid before; not up close anyway. They’ve all heard the legends, seen shapes in the sky, but nothing even remotely close to this. Little did they know that that the squid where going to be the last thing ever they saw.
We were armed with modified whaling equipment, nets and the like; it was standard practice I suppose, no one predicted that we should have come with cannons and machine guns. I guess I’ve already told you what happened. We got destroyed. The squid came at us like daemons; ripping apart the airships envelopes as if they where tissue paper. I had no idea they could behave in this manner. 29 lives were lost that day. I and 5 others survived. We lasted no more than 15 minutes.

How did I survive I hear you ask? Well many actually died on impact when the airships crashed; some landed in the sea, others on the frozen waste lands. My airship luckily went down quite slowly, but with no means of communicated with the rest of the world; all this meant was that we were doomed to a slow icy death. Well that would have been the case had not a squid come to investigate the crash site. We retreaded back into the wreckage, trying to remain as still as possible. The squid didn’t notice us, or perhaps didn’t acknowledge us. Perhaps the squid thought it was the airships that where the threat and not us. Foolish creature.
It was a lone squid, quite young in fact, probably left the group out of curiosity. However, I guess no one taught it “curiosity killed the cat”. It came down quite low, almost touching the ground. Very agile creature; the air is clearly their element. You’ve got to admire the grace and beauty of these creatures, but in this case there was no time for that. We can admire it when it’s dead. The hunting equipment (which was useless against fast moving targets) was all relatively intact. This was slow, picking up wreckage, studying it, putting it back where it found it; the complete opposite of what just attacked us. We aimed the harpoon at its head. It was crucial it was a direct hit. If we where to ever escape from this icy wasteland, the squid’s envelope must remain intact.
I gave the orders. 3 other harpoon where launched over the top of the squid to keep the creature from floating off. Before it had time to react, a 4th harpoon was deployed. This one plunged deep into the beasts necked like a knife into rubber. I feared that the beast wouldn’t have enough hydrogen to lift us back into the sky, but luckily as a defence mechanism, the squid inflated itself as an instinctive means of escape. Turns out the hydrogen organ can keeps on working for a short while after death.
It was odd seeing this rising dead creature, a creature once free, but now trapped in metal and canvas, bound to the directions in which we wished to travel. The ends of the harpoon where already tied to what was left of the airships hull. Incredibly it didn’t take much damage on impact. The squids only really attacked the envelopes.
Once in the sky the lads got to work modify the carcase, making it air worthy and the like. I drew a picture of the airship, and of the young squid. Too bad it creature wasn’t alive; it’s useless to me dead.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Those men did not die in vain. I will go back; but this time prepared. I need military style airships, with stronger envelopes and heavy weaponry. In the first trip I in need ablest 6 specimens. We can kill any that get in our way. If all goes to plan I’ll consider signing a contract with you, putting you permanently in charge of the squid hunting operation.

So who’s with me? Anyone here up to the challenge? Oh, and don’t think you won’t go unrewarded. I will cover the costs, and as a way of payment well... make me an offer. And don’t think you can do this alone. Only I know the location of giant sky squid, and even if you manage to find the sky tribe, thanks to me they no longer interact with the outside world.
Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake

Sebastian Greyfield

That was one of the longest posts that I have seen on this forum.  Congratulations and I must say I am most impressed by the backstory

theairman

Quote from: Sebastian Greyfield on August 23, 2010, 04:58:41 PM
That was one of the longest posts that I have seen on this forum.  Congratulations and I must say I am most impressed by the backstory

I second that on both accounts!
mostserindipitous.tumblr.com

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection finish him."
John Locke (1632-1704)

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

I am Kapitan Friedrich Konrad Ulrich Boelcke of the Deutsche Luftstreitkrafte, and I would like to join the Society of Air Travellers.

Jedidiah_Sampson

Good day folks, Captain Jedidiah Sampson at your service. I travel mostly along the western coast of the Unionized States. I can acquire most anything and dare say I can get it just about anywhere... so long as the price is right  ;)

My ship is not as large as I like but the cargo hold is sizable enough for most items :)

Be well my friends.

Will Howard

A slightly off topic question for theairman: after looking at your picture, I think I recognize the individual.  Isn't that a former theology student of Russian birth, who later robbed banks?
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

D.Oakes

Quote from: Will Howard on August 29, 2011, 11:18:42 PM
A slightly off topic question for theairman: after looking at your picture, I think I recognize the individual.  Isn't that a former theology student of Russian birth, who later robbed banks?

Yes Will, I do believe it is, from around 1902 if I am not mistaken. 
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Will Howard

Joseph Vissarionavich became a Steampunk?  Next we'll be letting in incumbent politicians...

The Corsair

Ill land in for a minute. I lost my coat on the last hop so is there anywhere around here I can get one?
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

D.Oakes

Quote from: The Corsair on August 30, 2011, 11:02:54 PM
Ill land in for a minute. I lost my coat on the last hop so is there anywhere around here I can get one?

Joseph can steal one from the bourgeoise for you.   ;D
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

Will Howard

TVC15

Seeing that all 'members' here are airmen (and airwomen), I thought that a grounded designer may be of some use. I employ modeling techniques to give one a three dimensional sense of what to expect. So, I offer, for your amusement and whimsy:

I have heard a rumour that there may be a strange sight in the upper aether that may be cause for alarm. After some initial radio-telescopic findings, we may need to be on watch for a mechanical kraken from Mars. I have only a single model shaped from a photo:

More news as it breaks. Thank you, gentlemen.
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

The Corsair

Unfortunately my old acquired ship was lost in the same accident as the coat... I'll be redesigning no doubt.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

theairman

After a hugely extended leave of absence, I'm back, but only briefly. In response to you Mr Howard, it is indeed a Russian theology student! I think I chose it because I rather liked his choice of attire and also his hair style, rather than political feelings!
mostserindipitous.tumblr.com

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection finish him."
John Locke (1632-1704)

Will Howard

An interesting choice, nonetheless.

greatestescaper

I posted about my craft in the "what got you into steampunk thread".  My means of soaring the skies is a converted bicycle-dirigible named The Alpine Appaloosa.  She's a fine craft and will be getting a good overhaul this summer.
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

Capitan Diavolo

Here is my Air Battleship, the "Vendetta"...

And my flying boat fighter aircraft is in my signature picture, a Savoia S.21...

NordicWrath

For the approval of The Society of Air Travelers, Marceil Snowshyne, captain of the Fleetfooted Malevolence has arrived. *Removes hat, twirls it flamboyantly while bowing*

MWBailey

Welcome to the Society! You can sign yer articles, here *proffers a hugely thick book of such pages, with a dip quill and inkwell standing by on the bar*

You don't 'ave to sign in blood, but if ye wish to, that's your affair.
*ponds the bartop*
Bar's open to drink the 'ealth of a new member! Barkkeep! Set 'em up, willya?
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

J. Wilhelm

Good evening gentlemen:

Some of you may know me already.  I'm nor sure I'd I qualify as an air traveller, but technically my college studies qualify me to imagine the machinery that will take you to the skies, and in the Steampunk world I am an old admiral, J. Wilhelm. I hereby formally apply for acceptance at this club.

Johannes Wilhelm was a young captain during the 1865 Franco American War, in which France, allied with Austria and the Confederate States of America fought the United States (and other allies TBD), over the Desert of Sonora, when the individual conflicts of the American Civil War and the French Intervention in Mexico merged into the Great Intercontinental Conflict.  Admiral Wilhelm captured the Confederate Airship Alamo, a high altitude (low Stratosphere) rigid airship.  Many years later, Admiral Wilhelm would retain office aboard the Alamo, actually refitted and rechristened as the United States Airship Orca, a military exploration and scientific vessel within the Atmospheric Research Division of the United States Airship Command.

Outside the Steampunk world, I hold a BSc speciality in Fluid Mechanics and Atmospheric Flight and my MSc concentration was Hypersonic flight and Aerothermodynamics (I have a 2nd MSc in Heat Transfer and Combustion in Mechanical Engr- but may be tangentially relevant). My sole claim to activity in the real world (besides travel for business and pleasure) would be my final Aircraft Design project; the Sizing procedure for a V/STOL 77 passenger propfan airliner, code name Zarquon.

I hope these credentials are sufficient for entry into your club.

I remain at your service,
J. Wilhelm
USAS Orca

NordicWrath

Quote from: MWBailey on January 09, 2015, 03:26:43 AM
Welcome to the Society! You can sign yer articles, here *proffers a hugely thick book of such pages, with a dip quill and inkwell standing by on the bar*

You don't 'ave to sign in blood, but if ye wish to, that's your affair.
*ponds the bartop*
Bar's open to drink the 'ealth of a new member! Barkkeep! Set 'em up, willya?

Well my latest scuffle with the Imperials has left me with ample opportunity to sign in blood, so you shall have a sanguine.

Maets

As designer and builder of airships, I humbly submit my application to the Society.

Viking Raider

Warship - Light duty

Passenger Cruise Ship

MWBailey

Here's th' articles book! You don't 'ave t' sign in blood, but y' can if y' want *is getting slightly buzzed* And to yer 'ealth, good sir!
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

NordicWrath

*signs ledger* 'Tis a nice room. The energy and the *slight, almost impossible to pick up cringe* ... fragrance remind me of home.

J. Wilhelm

If you don't mind. I will make an aerial pass over the club and make a loop de loop as fulfillment for admittance into the club.

They don't have to be real- world flying machines, do they?