News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Steampunk Mercenary Guild

Started by Sebastian Greyfield, May 14, 2010, 07:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sammy

It's pronounced Scan Doo I seem to recall... been years since I last wore one...

Thistle

"Skee-an Doo" is the easiest way to say it. :)
The handle was traditionally made of peat bog oak, black oak, and is very dense and tough and usually carved into Celtic knotwork. Nowadays though it`s also made of antler, horn and even brass on occasion. :D And most menfolks wear them tucked into the kilt hose...I suspect one under the armpit could be a tad uncomfortable. Maybe tucking one into the belt under a shirt would also be good? :)
When it comes to weapons other than firearms (of which I have very limited knowledge) I`m all in favour of the almost silent kind... bows, crossbows, daggers and suchlike :)

Judicator

Quote from: The Corsair on August 25, 2010, 12:02:22 AM
On the wrist
It's simple. You punch the skull, squeeze a trigger with your fingers and 4 small pellets go flying into someones brain matter
Beautiful...simply beautiful.

As for me..I noticed that its easier to get caught with custom or un-common weapons (of course, we all know that with our amazing skills we can escape any hostile situation with ease, but its rather unnecessary and time consuming) Therefore, I use weapons that can easily be purchased on main-stream online stores or shopping centers (e.g go into walmart and buy a bunch of kitchen knives) this way you are never caught...of course you must not leave finger prints. For this, i suggest burning them off and then wearing gloves for extra protection.

MWBailey

Personally I prefer several khukris, both large and small, scattered about my person. Oh, and stillettos of course (the knives, lads, not the bloody shoes. or even not bloody, muddy, or otherwise soiled). and a saber or two.

The funny thing about guns is that people get so uptight when one uses them in public...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Corsair

That's why I go for the concealed sort
Because they're so close range, you get minimal noise and, unlike knives, are a sure kill.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Thistle

There`s always the `woman`s choice` of concealed weapon...poison. :D

Sebastian Greyfield

I'm rather fond of a thin garrote on a small clockwork winder that can be passed off as a double ring. Slide the ring off, separate the two halves and pull to unwind the wire.  Once you have dealt with the target you simply activate the winder and once it is all back in place slide on your perfectly normal ring.

Judicator

Ah poison....

I went to the zoo and stole some poison dart frogs...easy (and free)  source of poison right there....

But alas...poison is more my fiance's department than mine (its a love-hate-attempt at murder type of relationship,ya dig?)
I more prefer the choke them out then slit their throat method....

MWBailey

sometimes I prefer simple defenestration. There was this one chap in Salzburgh awhile back; fought like a lion to keep from having it done to him. It was only a second-story window. Ah, but now that I think on it, I recall the rather spiky iron fence directly below... Messy things, aren't they...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Judicator

But...what of clean-up? If not by poison or knives then cleanup is a messy thing...and you get your prints everywhere....

Miles (a sailor)Martin

if you get blood on yourself then you didn't do it right
                                             Miles (a sailor)Martin
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo

Little_Red

Quote from: Miles (a sailor)Martin on August 31, 2010, 09:03:00 PM
if you get blood on yourself then you didn't do it right
                                             Miles (a sailor)Martin

Hear hear.  And what's more, if you did get blood on yourself and you're in a position in which said blood will be noticed before you have an opportunity to  change your dress, you are a complete amateur. 

The Sammy

But a classy decorperation is always effective...

Judicator

Oh on the contrary...

I wear a snow-white tuxedo which I used to brutally kill somebody in.
The suit now has a "splatter" effect coming from the left side across to the right.
Most people assume the red is dye and that it is a fashion statement....

If you cannot pull-off the "i just murdered someone, but its ok cause i didnt really" look then you are amateur ;)

Thistle

QuoteBut alas...poison is more my fiance's department than mine (its a love-hate-attempt at murder type of relationship,ya dig?)

True, but I have seen some gorgeous vintage poison rings :)

SolarCenturion

At the Spy Museum where I work weekends we have a number of interesting devices on display.  We have the famous poison pellet umbrella, 18th Century "Gun rings" and lots of other fun toys.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Little_Red

Quote from: Judicator on September 01, 2010, 12:22:54 AM
If you cannot pull-off the "i just murdered someone, but its ok cause i didnt really" look then you are amateur ;)

Well, fair enough  ;D  Unfortunately I find that blood has a simply disastrous effect on Taffeta...

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

I thrive on splashing the claret around.  Finesse and subtlety aren't my strong points, and I tend to undertake 'independent employment opportunities' in order to supplement my military pay and pension.  Basically, if it's brute force, bloodshed and bodycount you require, and half the money is in my Swiss bank account (the other half on completion of your requirements.  Piece of advice, not a good idea to think you can short change me.  Just ask Baron Gustaf Van Horzestein.  Oh, that's right, you can't, or his personal bodyguards, immediate family, serving staff, business associates, or optometrist.), then I'm your man.
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

SolarCenturion

ahhh.. found some lovely pictures of the ring gun in our museum

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

The Sammy

Very useful weapon... though the explosion is a tad too close to the finger for my liking...
And why pick on the optometrist? :P

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

Where do you think The Baron was when I decided to have a little chat about his outstanding bill?  That reminds me, the optometrist's assistant, receptionist/secretary and two people in the waiting room.  No eyes to see, no tales to tell.
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Judicator

Poison ring? As in...wedding ring? *glances down at hand* Oh my......this cant be good.

The Corsair

No you're thinking of the finger mounted ball-and-chain there...
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Thistle

This kind of thing, though I personally prefer something with a crimson stone. :)

Sebastian Greyfield

Quote from: Major Wolfram Quicksilver on September 02, 2010, 12:28:19 AM
Where do you think The Baron was when I decided to have a little chat about his outstanding bill?  That reminds me, the optometrist's assistant, receptionist/secretary and two people in the waiting room.  No eyes to see, no tales to tell.

This is why I prefer sniper rifles personally, when youre that far away noone sees you