News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Harrison

I'm now back at work after a week's holiday  :-\

Unfortunately my hours are being cut back by about 2 hours per day, which is not a good sign.  Tomorrow though I'll be in Hereford doing historical research all day, which should be good  :)
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Auntie Ludmilla

Aha! Found the new thread. My day was spent recovering from an amazing weekend. I helped out at a local bellydance festival, a weekend of dancing, drinking, more dancing, and trying to sleep through a thunder storm in a tent..... Wouldn't have missed it for the world, and it looks like I'm on the committee for organising next year's, which should be even better.
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

The Kernel

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 07, 2010, 05:42:02 AM
Quote from: Indefinitive on June 07, 2010, 04:29:10 AM
My grandmother didn't know me when I went to visit her today. She kept asking me how my dad and I had met... it was just heartbreaking to watch her get so embarrassed when she realized that I wasn't my dad's wife, but his daughter, over and over... at the end of the visit, she told me it was very nice to meet me. No hug, no recognition... just, "Oh, it was nice to meet you. Bye!"

Sigh. I feel like just crawling into bed and not moving until Friday.

*Hugs* It's really hard, but bear in mind that even if she doesn't remember who you are, you are making her very happy by keeping her company. It doesn't matter so much who exactly you are, you are someone who cares enough to come and visit.

My Grandmother "suffered" the same way. Terrible to see for all who were close to her.
However I put "suffered" in inverted commas because she was happy, she was constantly meeting new people who cared about her, she belived she was staying in her cousin's house  (to whom she had been very close and who had died 10 years earlier) and she had forgotten the pain of her husband's death (my Grandfather) but remembered the good times from many decades before.
She was happier (with the loss of insight from her dementia) in her final years than she had ever been; it was the rest of her family who suffered so much to see a once proud lady in a rest home, incapable of independant life and who couldn't recognise her children or grandchildren.

darkshines

I had an alright day! Turns out I am the number one sales person for the week, first time it happened since we got the Saturday girl (why I hear you cry? Well, we have a girl who only works lunchtimes and weekends, typically our busiest times. Since sales targets are done by average, she always comes out tops, even though by hours she does the least work. Everyone else does the god awful graveyard shifts.....). I casually mentioned the Hendricks job to my boss, not expecting much, but she has rejigged the whole rota so I can work tommorow and have Thursday off so I can go to Brum especially (no idea how I am getting there though). On my lunch beak I bought a 1950s vintage bathing suit which fits me like a glove, and it was technically half price as I supply the shop owner with bits and pieces and she gave me 20 store credit earlier this week. I have spent the evening in my pjs, ate an enormous portion of bangers and mash (it feels good to be able to eat again!) and browsed the forum. I am now watching Van Helsing, and I don't care if the whole rest of the film sucks, in the first ten minutes there has been a crazy guy screaming "its ALLIIIIIIVE!" to a backdrop of mad scientific machinery, angry villagers and an Igor, and that makes it AWESOME.
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

The Kernel

Ah "Van Helsing" is one of my favourite films (and nothing to do with a certain female vampire hunter - it makes me feel very old to think I remember her days as a fireman)

Dorian Ambrose

Just another day really..

But I did get some photos I took this weekend uploaded  :) Taken around my town, in the nice sunny weather.
WARNING!! Photos contains cannons, rampart and a moat  :o

Acheron

Quote from: Indefinitive on June 07, 2010, 04:29:10 AMSometimes I wish it were possible to just turn off how I feel about someone or how much they matter to me, but things just don't work out that way, unfortunately... this person had to pretty much drag me out of my shell by force to show me how stupid it was to just close myself off, so at this point, (pardon the lyrics to an extremely overplayed song... I can't get them out of my head) I guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all.

Still sounds like you shouldn't like them. I mean, unless you like being forcibly pushed and made uncomfortable... Then again, I suppose "what doesn't kill you makes you strong". But it's hard to see things that way any other way than in hindsight. And if they're right, they're right. But excuses, excuses...

Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on June 07, 2010, 08:29:02 PMAha! Found the new thread. My day was spent recovering from an amazing weekend. I helped out at a local bellydance festival, a weekend of dancing, drinking, more dancing, and trying to sleep through a thunder storm in a tent..... Wouldn't have missed it for the world, and it looks like I'm on the committee for organising next year's, which should be even better.

So, exactly how did you manage to combine bellydancing and sleeping in a tent? I suppose that it was by means of that 'drinking' part... The things you can do... For instance; I actually run the metric mile two minutes faster when I've been on the bottle...

Speaking of which, I had a fairly good, tidy day, starting with a test this morning and some general regularity to slip into the groove, which turned into a surprising request for some help with moving later around late lunchtime, and me helping a neighbor move into town until late in the evening. This was followed by some very nice late evening conversation and drinking, being treated to some pretty damn good whiskey, a bit of messing around, and now to coming home to a comfortably silent and dark house and sitting down, nicely tipsy and energetic, finishing off a bit of work and watching some downloaded show episodes.

A good day. Oh yes.
'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger

phang

Quote from: darkshines on June 07, 2010, 09:47:39 PM
I had an alright day! Turns out I am the number one sales person for the week, first time it happened since we got the Saturday girl (why I hear you cry? Well, we have a girl who only works lunchtimes and weekends, typically our busiest times. Since sales targets are done by average, she always comes out tops, even though by hours she does the least work. Everyone else does the god awful graveyard shifts.....). I casually mentioned the Hendricks job to my boss, not expecting much, but she has rejigged the whole rota so I can work tommorow and have Thursday off so I can go to Brum especially (no idea how I am getting there though). On my lunch beak I bought a 1950s vintage bathing suit which fits me like a glove, and it was technically half price as I supply the shop owner with bits and pieces and she gave me 20 store credit earlier this week. I have spent the evening in my pjs, ate an enormous portion of bangers and mash (it feels good to be able to eat again!) and browsed the forum. I am now watching Van Helsing, and I don't care if the whole rest of the film sucks, in the first ten minutes there has been a crazy guy screaming "its ALLIIIIIIVE!" to a backdrop of mad scientific machinery, angry villagers and an Igor, and that makes it AWESOME.

Yea you!!!  Have a shrimp.
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

darkshines

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

Auntie Ludmilla

Archeron....
It was a really big tent!
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde

steamtastic

Did one of my English language GCSE test today. "Write to persuade an employer to take you on for the summer holiday". Well does greasy monkey Silver T Weatherspoon applying to be an engineer aboard the airship Winston count? Funny how everyone else just thought to apply for a job at Tesco's. Tesco's?! Does no one have a just a single speck of imagination?
Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake

James Harrison

I spent 5 hours today on trains and 4 hours in the lovely city of Hereford doing historical research that actually produced information for once  :D
It's been a good day, except for my fitful dozing on the way back.  I'm not a particularly graceful sleeper on a train, shall we say.  If anyone has ever read Bill Bryson Down Under, they'll know how he sleeps on a car journey.  That's kind of what I did on the train back from Hereford  :-[
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Llrael

Quote from: steamtastic on June 08, 2010, 02:07:11 PM
Did one of my English language GCSE test today. "Write to persuade an employer to take you on for the summer holiday". Well does greasy monkey Silver T Weatherspoon applying to be an engineer aboard the airship Winston count? Funny how everyone else just thought to apply for a job at Tesco's. Tesco's?! Does no one have a just a single speck of imagination?

It's things like this that make me miss GCSE English. I took a mock exam once where the 25-mark question was "Describe yourself." Damn straight I described myself!
"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."

darkshines

The last english exam I remember sitting was "describe your perfect holiday". The picture next to the question was of a desert islandwith a palm tree, so I wrote about being in solitude in a log cabin in Canada in the depths of winter. I got full marks.

Rockula

I had a boozy daytrip to Belgium.

Lovely day.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Ezra Hogbin

Today was a good day.
I had to do a training course on design of fire alarms,which I had to pass. Fortunately I did.

One of the other "candidates" commented on my waistcoat and asked did I wear a pocket watch, which I duly produced. She then passed a comment about decline in society and mentioned her bustle skirts! Well, I just had to ask if she had any brass goggles :D
She doesn't ( neither do I for that matter), but I pointed her in this direction and she might appear on here one day soon  ;)
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

The Kernel

Long (13 hours at work what with late meetings and all) plus travel time.
Busy.
But ultimatly successful.
Punctuated by a sewer collapse under the road just outside my place of work, think 2 meter wide hole suddenly appearing in the middle of the road, then propagating along the road as the sewer caved in lengthways, including devouring a parked car.
Fortunatly no injuries but traffic chaos.

To explain how this can happen - most of the area was developed in the mid-nineteenth century with wonderful egg shaped walk through sewers under the streets. Unfortunatly records were lost when the town hall was bombed during the second world war so sewers still in use have been re-mapped and are well maintained but the city is built on a miriad of old bits of brick lined 2 metre high tunnels that are 150 years old.
Periodically traffic vibration gets the better of them and they collapse without warning.

Auntie Ludmilla

Mostly very good indeed. I was rained off work, so spent the mornig sorting out the house, then caught up with Dr Who on iplayer and did some sewing, did the weeks shopping, paid some bills, posted some stuff to Folksy customers, walked the dog, fueled up the car, listed more stuff on Folksy, then swithched to my gardening business and returned a customer's call, typed out a plant list to a supplier, then organised my portfolios ready to see a new client. All very productive. Then I drove 10 miles to meet the client.... who was adamant it was the only time he could meet us, even though it meant my business partner having to arrange childcare...... to be told by the guy's stoned teenage son that he'd gone out.... So I wasted over an hour, not to mention the petrol. Extremely irritating when i was getting so much sorted out today. But I'm damned if I'm going to let one rude idiot spoil my day. might make another choker before I hit the sack.

darkshines

What kind of gardening business do you do, it sounds very interesting! I woke up about 10 minutes ago with what feels like the worst monthly pain in history. Not quite sure what to do, its far too hot for a hot water bottle and I don't have a bath. If I felt like this during the day I would have taken some painkillers but not at night, its been a while since I've eaten. I am so tired, I can't stop ywning, but the odd feeling, she bothers me! :(

/endhatebeingagirl

phang

Absolutely noting of interest or exciting to report happened today.  :-\

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

The Nordic One

4 more days until Dorian's Parlor..

Oh wait, it is now Wednesday..

3 more days until Dorian's Parlor!!!

Indefinitive

I had a fabulous day at work today. Although, I think I may be going to Hell for what I've done. Ah well. I work in collections. I do what I have to in order to get my money.

A girl I sort of have a bit of a crush on at work and I have made plans to go out for drinks on her birthday. I have a feeling she's completely straight, but she's a wonderful young lady to be around. I'm excited for the end of the month, as we'll be going out to one of my favorite bars. I haven't really gone out since March, so I'm really looking forward to this. ;D
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Thor

Had a fabulous evening with my new girlfriend last night, although very tired today!

Highlight of the day so far, was I guess the facebook status I wrote.  I had a lot of fun with it...

I said I would never fall to the temptation... but its siren song calls to me! The haunting melisma gnaws at my very soul. I must fight, but my arm is weary, my shield cracked and battered. I can feel the tendrils of witch-fire plucking at my very soul, I can see the unnatural horrors lurking within my periphery. One day soon I shall succumb to the abyss, powerless to fight any more.

On that day I shall arise with renewed, otherworldly vigour, a grisly purpose weighing upon my blackened heart. I shall forevermore be a lost soul, a barrow-wight in service of... the iPhone.

;)
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here

The Kernel

Today has been good; early finish from work (still traffic chaos - see yesterday) then spent a very happy afternoon fitting load restraint rings in the boot of my Land-Rover and folding cup-holders on the tailgate (fitted for use while pic-nicking from the back of the vehicle while adventuring or during off-road pay-and-play days in a local quarry)
Now to prepare pasta bake for tea :)

RoseOak

Today was pretty good overall. Its my fathers birthday so he got a  large pewter hip flask, a box of cigars, a mini telescope and a steel buttonhole flask. We tend to go with the small and precious and not big and expensive when it comes to gifts.

We then went out into town to visit the Pitt River's new and improved weapons gallery and had tea. The bad side is the the cafe is one we haven't been into for a while and it has really gone down. It used to be a lovely, intimate little pattisserie but now they have made it bigger by knocking down a couple of walls and having an open plan floor so you can see the kitchen the dishwasher, bins and generalwork area  >:(. The cake selection has gone down as well so we simply had tea and bought chocolates to have tonight with a film.
My sister is in the kitchen making Chicken Veronique, we have home made blueberry cheesecake to follow and  2 more people have emailed us about having things displayed in our new shop. 

I've got to go make my boss's website tomorrow so I'm looking up templates, knitting a dolls leg and my father has just lit a cigar so the smell is wafting upstairs making me wish I smoked  :D  I just have to convince him to choose John Wayne over Clint Eastwood for the film tonight and it will have been a really good day