News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Morion

First day back home after going around the world in 163 days (visited 11 countries and took over 11,000 photos).

Discovered that the battery in my car is totally fried so ended up borrowing my mom's car so I could make it to my dentist appointment on time. And thankfully remembered how to drive ( hey, after six months there was some question). Am now sitting in the DMV (as i have been for the last hour, still got 26 people to go...) waiting to get my drivers lisence renewed so I can be legal and actually be able to order a beer. Then it's off to run some more errands before heading home to have guacamole and shrimp cocktail on the deck with my family.

Feels pretty good to home ( though it all seems very surreal right now)
The bad guys always have the best tailors

William Ichabod Dachary

I was here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10276292.stm

My uncle and cousin sadly departed this world on the 29th. The service was fitting; the church was overflowing with over 100 people. Nice send off at the Coventry Aeroplane Club which is what they both would have wanted. Sad day, but life, as they say, goes on.

¬D

The Nordic One

Quote from: William Ichabod Dachary on June 09, 2010, 09:41:25 PM
I was here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10276292.stm

My uncle and cousin sadly departed this world on the 29th. The service was fitting; the church was overflowing with over 100 people. Nice send off at the Coventry Aeroplane Club which is what they both would have wanted. Sad day, but life, as they say, goes on.

¬D

Oh wow, you have my sincere condolences and prayers for this tragic loss..

I am doing fine, cooking yet again and getting ready to say "Vi ses snart!" to an old friend tonight who is moving a good 5700km away..

Auntie Ludmilla

I'd like to offer my condolances too, William, I'm sorry for your loss. To lose one family member is devastating, two is unthinkable. Your Aunt must be inconsolable.

My day looks like it will be rather good, as I am rained off from my gardening job again, and intend to spend the day sewing a bustle.
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

Mechanic

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.

Dorian Ambrose

Today was pretty dull.
Mostly work, but I did find a bit of time to make a "things I need to get" list, for my current SP project.

It started as a simple project, that should have taken only a few days, but I have a nasty habit of going crazy with such things. So now it looks more like a long term project.
But if all goes according to plan, it should be something quite special  :)

Tomorrow I will hunt for some more parts.

The Nordic One

Nice day! Ok, not entirely nice.. my bathroom and kitchen sinks are hopelessly clogged and nothing will unclog them! Nothing!! :(

But on the flip side I made "wineburgers" tonight (burgers marinated in red wine, olive oil and pomegranate champagne vinegar, with garlic) and watched this documentary on deadly roads in Nepal and China, helped a local BG'er steer his way through Oslo (my "second home") and about to go out to show a friend some pics of me in my Victorian.. uh.. well, you decide.. :)

Sinks are still clogged though :(

Indefinitive

My morning was pretty good. Spent a lot of my day doing stuff at work, but I can't really put my finger on what exactly that stuff was. I don't feel like I accomplished anything today. :(
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Capt. Morion

Today was relatively productive, though not in ways originally planned. Spent the morning and a good chunk of the afternoon researching computers and attempting to decided whether it was worth the extra $400 bucks to upgrade the processor (decided it wasn't). Called the store and found out that I can go in tomorrow and buy my computer there and they'll do all the upgrades while I wait (instead of having to order it online and wait a week+ for it to arrive). So first thing tomorrow I get my new Mac!!!! I can finally stop trying to edit photos on a 8in netbook with 1gb of ram that freaks out every time I open lightroom (it simply won't open photoshop). Now I get to edit on a quad-core MacPro with 6gb of ram and a 26in screen, I can't wait ^-^

After the fun of computer research I decided it was past time for me to start going through my dresser and cleaning stuff out so I can actually put stuff away. So I started pulling everything out and piling it on my bed thinking I had all evening to sort through it. Well in the middle of emptying the third drawer I got a phone call from my boss asking me if I could work tonight. Me being totally broke, of course I said yes but it was somewhat of a panic seeing as he called 45min before he wanted me there and it takes me 25min to get there plus I needed to eat and get all of my work stuff together. It all worked out and I managed to get there a couple minutes early so he could give me the update on what's changed since I last worked nearly six months ago. Luckily it wasn't really that busy of a night so I had a chance to ease back into the swing of things (also helped that not much has changed and pretty much everything else came back to me after about half an hour). Tips weren't great but hey, first time I've put money in my wallet since January, so it was well worth it. Just got home and am checking email before moving all the stuff off my bed onto t floor to deal with later and passing out.

So all in all a pretty good day ^-^
The bad guys always have the best tailors

James Harrison

I'm in London on a cultural weekend.  Yesterday I went to the Soanes Museum, which is a real cabinet of curiosities which has been preserved completely unaltered since the 1830s, and this morning I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum to see the exhibition about Horace Walpole and Strawberry Hill House.  Both I can recommend wholeheartedly.  Tomorrow I may be going to see the gardens at Stowe on the way back to Birmingham.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Indefinitive

Had my last day of training yesterday. Was ready to cry when I left for the night. I don't like the one that I was training with that is going to be my partner at my next location... she is the only one that I didn't click with during my three weeks of training. Unlike me, she isn't passionate about what she does. She's only there for the paycheck, and that saddens me quite a bit.

When I left, I went shopping with my best friend, David, and we picked out something for him to wear today to a Steampunk event... unfortunately, because we were so focused on him last night, I have nothing to wear. Eep! I have seven hours to find something... I found a pair of boots that I love, but they're completely the wrong color for what I had in mind. Damn it!
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Llrael

My day was totally unproductive. I'm still revising for my uni exams, but it's going terribly. Nothing is staying in my head, I'm tired <i>all the time</i> and I'm totally ready to give up and go home. It doesn't help that all the finalists have finished or are finishing, so they're all out in the quad partying and stuff. <i>So</i> depressing.

Oh well, two weeks and it'll all be over and I can get on with my summer. I've just bought a massive load of old My Little Ponies that I'm going to try and steampunk up over the holiday, so they'll be waiting for me when I get home.
"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."

The Nordic One

Auntie Ludmilla

Llrael, get some sleep honey, you'll be fine. I was throwing up an hour before my finals, cos I worked myself up into such a state.... All that for a degree which I never actually used anyway...... I did a few bar jobs when I left uni, then set up my own business, which I could've done with out the degree. My time at uni was far from wasted though, the things I learned inside and outside the lecture theater have been invaluable. Don't forget, even if you leave with out a piece of paper and some letters after your name, those years you spent there will always be yours. The certificate is just the cherry on the cake. X
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde

phang

Clean house - Check

Laundry done - Check

Grass mowed - Check

Bills paid - Check (whimper)

Shopping done - Check

SOMEONE COME OVER AND COOK FOR ME!!!!
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

Dorian Ambrose

My grandmother turned 90 on Wednesday, so we had the celebration today. 90!!   :o That is quite a lot of years.
Thankfully we decided not to put all 90 candles in the cake. I remember all to well, the trouble we had getting them all lit 10 years ago. And the cake ended up, covered in wax and therefore uneatable. 10 more candles would not make it easier.

It was a very nice day, apart from paying more than £300 in cab fare. She is in a wheelchair and a large cab with a lift is by far the easiest way to travel anywhere with her. So it was worth it  :)

Now I am having a cup of coffee and trying to book train tickets from London to Birmingham, online  :)
I must say.. You have very expensive public transportation in the UK.

The Governess

try Chiltern Railways for cheaper tickets london to b'ham. Or London Midland.

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Auntie Ludmilla

D'oh, forgot to say how my day was! Fabulous, as it happens! Did 3 bellydance gigs (one at a steamfair! With a steam carousel... but didn't have time for a go... ) Got home after a lovely day shimmying with the girls, walked the dog, and any minute now I will be tucking into strawberries and clotted cream.

phang

Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on June 12, 2010, 09:22:20 PM
D'oh, forgot to say how my day was! Fabulous, as it happens! Did 3 bellydance gigs (one at a steamfair! With a steam carousel... but didn't have time for a go... ) Got home after a lovely day shimmying with the girls, walked the dog, and any minute now I will be tucking into strawberries and clotted cream.

Clotted Cream? Some how doesn't sound appealing. I keep envisioning spoiled, clumpy milk. Must be an English thing..

Here's hoping that the current storm lets up enough to get the satellite back up for Dr Who. It takes a lot to knock us off service and right now we're getting it.
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: phang on June 12, 2010, 11:21:07 PM

Clotted Cream? Some how doesn't sound appealing. I keep envisioning spoiled, clumpy milk. Must be an English thing..

Here's hoping that the current storm lets up enough to get the satellite back up for Dr Who. It takes a lot to knock us off service and right now we're getting it.

It's just ultra-thick cream. (Minimum fat content 55%.) It itself is smooth. I'm pretty sure that the "clotted" part refers to the heating and skimming method traditionally used to make it.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Llrael on June 12, 2010, 04:59:09 PM
My day was totally unproductive. I'm still revising for my uni exams, but it's going terribly. Nothing is staying in my head, I'm tired <i>all the time</i> and I'm totally ready to give up and go home. It doesn't help that all the finalists have finished or are finishing, so they're all out in the quad partying and stuff. <i>So</i> depressing.

Oh well, two weeks and it'll all be over and I can get on with my summer. I've just bought a massive load of old My Little Ponies that I'm going to try and steampunk up over the holiday, so they'll be waiting for me when I get home.

I can never recall stuff while I'm studying, but I can when it matters. I think of it as being that when I study, my brain is in 'information in" mode, so the "information out" part isn't working so well. Then when it gets to the exam, it's switched to "information out" mode, and it's all fine.

darkshines

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 12, 2010, 11:40:57 PM
Quote from: phang on June 12, 2010, 11:21:07 PM

It's just ultra-thick cream. (Minimum fat content 55%.) It itself is smooth. I'm pretty sure that the "clotted" part refers to the heating and skimming method traditionally used to make it.

"A cream tea cannot be considered as such unless there is cream and the type of cream that should be used is clotted cream. Originally, clotted cream was only produced in the Westcountry - this is where the rich soil, mild climate and the right breed of cattle came together to create milk with a high enough cream content to produce clotted cream. Even today when clotted cream is in greater demand (and available at supermarkets!) it will almost always be made in Devon, Cornwall, Somerset. If you exclude the modern milk processes and vegetable fat substitutes then there are only three types of cream - single, double and clotted. Each of these gets increasingly richer, thicker and luxurious.

Before the days of pasteurisation, the milk from the cows was left to stand for several hours so that the cream would rise to the top. Then this cream was skimmed and put into big pans. The pans were then floated in trays of constantly boiling water in a process known as scalding. The cream would then become much thicker and develop a golden crust which is similar to butter. Today however, the cream is extracted by a separator which extracts the cream as it is pumped from the dairy to the holding tank. The separator is a type of centrifuge which extracts the surplus cream at the correct quantity so that the milk will still have enough cream to be classified as milk.

Clotted cream has a consistency similar to soft butter and can be used as a replacement for butter in such things as toffees. It's great on freshly baked bread with honey (or honeycombe!), jam, syrup or black treacle (known as thunder and lightening!) - but most importantly is perfect for putting on a scone. "
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

maduncle

All this talk of clotted cream,

Am I the only one (old enough) to be having flashbacks to the Goodies episode when they strike cream?

Meanwhile HWMD?- day three in Adelaide visiting the in laws (lovely folks) with my wife (lovely lass).

The highlight was yesterday when I went to the antique store to collect my anvil (the reason we drove over) only to discover an amazing 1930's Japanese dentists machine, complete with milk glass bowls, pulley driven articulated drill arm and amazing jewelled lights. This is the sort of machine that has inspired a lot of my steampunk builds, were I to own it - I would 'repurpose' it into some other device without harming it.

The price? $2000 (Australian) and I reckon that is a bargain.

But I don't have a spare two grand, otherwise the car would be bringing home more than my wife, myself and a 340lb anvil from Adelaide.

(Pictures of the dentists machine on my blog once I get home).
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

The Kernel

Quote from: Llrael on June 12, 2010, 04:59:09 PM

Miss Llrael, don't worry, the more you worry the harder recall becomes.
The issue with first year university exams (especially at the establishment you're attending) is that you have no benchmark for acceptable performance.
Unlike "A levels" you can retake, and if possible view it as a challenge rather than a hurdle (which is what you will have been used to so far) but you will only gain this attitude by striving your best and gaining the benchmarking experience.

Lady Lavinea Dreadful

my day was a mixed bag yesterday. got 5 sales at work 4 of them might get rejected for crap i cant prevent (office BS) my gentleman caller invited me to a local event...a fair of sorts. we had a decent time...every thing was over priced, but the photo booth gave us free pictures because i was dressed in my fav gypsy steampunk outfit. they flagged us down at the entrance gate to invite us over. im not entirely sure if it was my outfit only or the fact that my GC is 6 and a half feet tall and im five feet all. must have stood out lol.
then o dropped my phone in the bath...with water in it...its now drying out on my desk...grrr... mixed bag indeed.