News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helios

Quote from: maduncle on June 13, 2010, 07:51:41 AM
All this talk of clotted cream,

Am I the only one (old enough) to be having flashbacks to the Goodies episode when they strike cream?

I remember it. Quite a good episode, if I remember rightly.

HWMD? Odd. I've finally resigned myself to the fact that my body clock is currently working closer to Moscow than it is to Antipodea. At least I'm not trying that rediculous sleep schedule wherein you sleep 30 minutes to every four hours, like a friend of mine is. I predict his insanity within two months.
Also, ran out of internet access in my room. Having to use the communal computers always makes me feel dirty. But I must have my fix...
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

darkshines

I don't feel like I have done much today. Part of me feels I should be outside in the sun. Maybe I could take some jewelry stuff and go to the park.

I miss my ipod :(
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

James Harrison

Quote from: darkshines on June 13, 2010, 02:34:05 PM

Mine broke three days before Christmas.  For a few weeks I missed it and now I'm wondering just why I spent money on one in the first place.  Absolutely pointless piece of techno-electrical merde that makes people a target for muggers. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

darkshines

But...but.... I can hear things again, like screaming children, chavs swearing, drunk people vomiting and car horns blaring. I'd much rather be lost in my Tom Waits, Jill Tracy and Misaphone.... :(
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

Llrael

Quote from: James Harrison on June 13, 2010, 05:53:59 PM
Quote from: darkshines on June 13, 2010, 02:34:05 PM

Mine broke three days before Christmas.  For a few weeks I missed it and now I'm wondering just why I spent money on one in the first place.  Absolutely pointless piece of techno-electrical merde that makes people a target for muggers. 

Really? Wow. I practically subsist on music, so I couldn't live without mine.

My day was probably more productive than it feels. Wrote a letter to my new college son, who'll be a fresher in October (if he makes his grades, obviously). That was fun. I've sort of managed to get the short straw with regards to college families - we're taking in less mathematicians next year and all the current first-year mathmos applied for college children. Combine this with the fact that I'm the only "single" mathmo and it means I only get one kid whereas most other people have 2-3. Ah well.
Right. So I did that. And I can now prove a few more theorems that I couldn't do this morning. So some progress has been made, although it feels small and insignificant compared to the huge volume of knowledge I should know. Still, I think I can probably pass my exams now. "Pass" being the operative word. 30%, here I come!
"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."

James Harrison

I've just been checking my "professional" email account- that which I use for job applications and suchlike- and I've been given an unconditional offer at Oxford Brookes to study architectural conservation.  Right now I'm bouncing off the walls  :)
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Llrael

Quote from: James Harrison on June 13, 2010, 06:18:04 PM
I've just been checking my "professional" email account- that which I use for job applications and suchlike- and I've been given an unconditional offer at Oxford Brookes to study architectural conservation.  Right now I'm bouncing off the walls  :)

HURRAH! Congrats! Does that mean you'll be joining me in O-town in October?
"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."

James Harrison

It does indeed  :D 

I'm really quite chuffed to bits.  I've always found historical architecture more interesting so to be given the opportunity to study it and it's conservation full time really is an opportunity I'd give anything for.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Congratulations.....

James Harrison

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on June 13, 2010, 07:50:12 PM

Congratulations.....

Thank you!  It's still sinking in.  Although to be fair it's only been a little over an hour since I read the email  :D

Herr Döktor

Excellent news, Mr. Harrison! We need more people rescuing buildings, less demolishing them!

:)

The Goodies- "Bunfight at the OK Tearooms" a tale of the old West(country), one struck clotted cream, one jam, the third scone mix- I seem to remember a main bone of contention was the pronunciation of the word 'Scone' Tim said it 'Scone', Bill 'Scon', with Graeme as the sheriff...

Today, I polished off a short story, and I'm quite pleased with it...

...whether I'm still pleased with it tomorrow remains to be seen...

darkshines

I didn't do much in the end today. I stayed in my pjs till noon (for the second day running! How decadent!) then had a walk into town with my best friend. Despite the weather being nice, I chose to stay in for the rest of the day and clean like a demon, I washed up, bleached and scrubbed the sink area, hoovered, priced up stock, I even polished the furniture! I am now making collar bases to save time, I can finish up half a dozen or so in my hour break at work if I get the hard bit done now :)

phang

Up way too early. Church, and then dance recital practice out at the theater for both girls. Which consisted of 4 hours cramed into a tiny seat built int he 1900nothings surrounded by an auditorium of screaming females.

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

RoseOak

Quote from: Llrael on June 13, 2010, 07:29:19 PM

HURRAH! Congrats! Does that mean you'll be joining me in O-town in October?

Congratulations  :)
We'll turn a native of you

Auntie Ludmilla

Another lovely and bellydance related day (yes I am obsessed.... ) A 2 hour tribal improv workshop, which was really knackering but fun, then another 2 hours doing a belt making workshop. I learnt to crochet! Always wanted to learn how. So I can now make those little mirrors you see on indian clothing, using a large sequin, a small curtain ring and basic crochet techniques. I also got some good tips on making fancy tassels. And we got biscuits.  ;D
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

The Nordic One

Off to Ching Ching Cha for tea and snacks with The Guild in my Dark Gothic Victorian (nod too Jazz-Age hehe) straw summer look..

Last night was Dorian's Parlor.. *sigh* WOW

RoseOak

You want my day!

What did I do to offend some God that I end up with Sara, Julia and Charlotte as friends.

One thinks that The Importance of being Earnest is worse for  moral standards then The Rocky Horror Show, the other thinks that making tea in a teapot is "quaint" and the last one thinks that  'Shalott'  as in 'The Lady of ', is a type of onion.

gaahaaaaaaaaaaaah!

The Nordic One

My day went rapidly to awful.. nobody shows up at the tea that someone else invites me (and to which does not show up himself), and now apparently being a dandy even on BG is a crime.

Indefinitive

That really sucks, TNO. Did you at least enjoy the tea, even if it was by yourself?

My day was pretty good. Actually, my whole weekend was pretty good. It started out kind of lame, but it turned around pretty quickly. It ended on a bit of a rushed note as things had to get done just as time was running out, but I enjoyed my weekend as a whole. Can't wait for tomorrow. I start at my new location tomorrow. :)
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

darkshines

I had a nightmare that Hendricks rang me back and told me I didn't get the job :(

I want it so bad!

The Nordic One

Quote from: Indefinitive on June 14, 2010, 05:58:50 AM
That really sucks, TNO. Did you at least enjoy the tea, even if it was by yourself?

Oh if only.. it was closing up by the time I got there (they gave a rather late time to meet up for tea and apparently were unaware the place closed early on Sundays).. so, no, didn't even get tea :(

Indefinitive

Eep. Well, at least I'm not the only one who dreams about work... Have they interviewed you yet, Darkshines?

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that, TNO. Maybe they just forgot that it was Sunday, or weren't aware that the times were different?
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

darkshines

Yeah, the audition/interview was last Wednesday, we will here if we got it THIS Tuesday or Wednesday!

Thor

Had a couple of shitty days at work (for more, see the Gah thread).

Just broke things off with K, the girl I've been seeing.  We've been in a relationship, if you can call it that, for just over a week.

It didn't feel right.  I had to end things before I ended up despising myself, and her.

She'll be upset, I'm sure.  If she doesn't take it too badly, maybe we can still talk and eventually be friends.  If she does take it badly... well, she won't be the first!  I had one ex-girlfriend posting dozens of deadjournal (this was when dj was cooler than lj) entries about how she was miserable, her life was over, she should just jump out of the window and end it all.  It wasn't well received when I pointed out that the window she was planning on jumping out of, was on the ground floor  ::)
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here

Rockula

Yesterday my computer went bananas. It told me my soundcard and motherboard were dying and deleted every Microsoft related application without being asked!

Finding that the Microsoft components were not recoverable with a System Restore, and being as they are terribly expensive, I replaced said components with free downloads of completely legal, compatible and virtually identical programmes.

My soundcard and motherboard are now saying 100% A-Ok, the computer deleted 30% of what it considered unnecessary files (most of which came with the original bundled stuff when I bought the computer and had never been used) and my internet speed, although already fast with Virgin broadband, is noticably faster.

And I've not actually done anything. In fact, I wouldn't know how to. I'm computer illiterate.

It's very strange, totally unexpected and really quite wonderful.

I think I've downloaded a magic 'fix everything' imp or something. It's like an 'anti-virus'.

I've no idea what went on but....

Happy, happy day. ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...