News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoseOak

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 14, 2010, 01:23:44 AM
My day went rapidly to awful.. nobody shows up at the tea that someone else invites me (and to which does not show up himself), and now apparently being a dandy even on BG is a crime.

Thats actually quite a mean thing to do. Inviting someone to tea and standing them up. As for the Dandyism I tihnk its just that its not the first thing that springs to mind when SP comes up.

The Kernel

Today was OK (apart from my beliefs concerning the ingredients for faggots being dashed :'()
Joking aside the morning was good, work was busy (as ever) and met my new under-grad (she will be with me for 3 weeks on a project- full time, the usual attachements are for one day a week on a 12 week rotating module), but slightly concerned that she was born in the same year I qualified (kind of rams it home I'm middle aged).
I had a tutorial planned for this afternoon with one of my post-grads but he had a job interview so it was cancelled at short notice and I got to take the afternoon off. :) :) :)
Now I've just started Eoin Colfer's "And Another Thing" - will it live up to expectations?

Indefinitive

I got switched to my permanent location today. I want to go back to where I was. :(

My boss, while being a hardass bitch, which I like in a boss, is horribly unprofessional. She uses the work phone for personal calls from her boyfriend in Jamaica, calls her friends and bitches about her personal life while on the clock, and her and I just don't click like my old boss and I did. We're not on the same wavelength at all, and she, like my other co-worker, seems to only be there for the paycheck... she isn't passionate about what she does, either.

I guess all I can do for the time being is bust my ass and get that store to profit so I can move up, or at least to a different location.
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

The Nordic One

Things got better, especially since I got to see the outdoor movie showing of "Star Trek II".. with everyone's favorite line... ;)

phang

Considering I am up and "functional" an hour before my alarm goes off, I'd have to say that the day is off to an iffy start.

Today I need to start the mid-year semi-reviews for my staff. Remind everyone what they should be doing, and generally paying the big, bad, mean boss roll. Only this year the goals were handed down my upper management and none of them make any sense at all I just have to be the guy that has to enforce them.

I'm sure that somebody, somewhere owes me a burger.
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

darkshines

I had a good day at work, but I cannot stop panicking abou the Hendricks ob. I want it SO BAD, and I didn't get a call today, which means they must be calling tommorow. I can't sleep, and when I do I have nightmares that I didn't get the job! On the plus side, I think Mr C is back from his holidays soon, I do miss him x
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Judicator

My girlfriend told me we should "take a break from talking".

Now im just waiting for it to end between us.. \:

phang

Work was a general mess. But I have the house to myself.

Might have to bake something.
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

Indefinitive

Quote from: Judicator on June 15, 2010, 10:54:35 PM

End it yourself. Don't put up with that. If there is a problem, you talk it out. And if she doesn't respect you enough to even want to talk it out, do you really want to be with her?

My day was alright. Spent a nice morning with this guy I like, and then did paperwork almost all day, and prepared almost fifty different files for references to be called tomorrow at work. I have the day off tomorrow, but I'm considering going in anyway to get a headstart on looking through files and straightening them out, or looking for discrepancies in the notes. I might also go to my old location a little later on so I can say hi to my girls there and follow up on a few things that I had left undone.

Well, unless someone else wants my time, which I think he might... we'll see. :)
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Flynn MacCallister

My day went rapidly to awful.. nobody shows up at the tea that someone else invites me (and to which does not show up himself), and now apparently being a dandy even on BG is a crime.

No. It isn't. Atterton is just a jerk sometimes. You have to just shake your head and ignore it when he gets offensive. There's just no point. Don't let something stupid like that get to you.

I don't want to make this spill over into this thread, but that was a very loud opinion of an extreme minority. It is not a majority opinion on Brass Goggles, and I do not want to see you feeling bad because someone shouted it louder than the rest of us either approved of dandyism, or just didn't care much either way.

The Nordic One

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 16, 2010, 04:44:42 AM

No. It isn't. Atterton is just a jerk sometimes. You have to just shake your head and ignore it when he gets offensive. There's just no point. Don't let something stupid like that get to you.

I don't want to make this spill over into this thread, but that was a very loud opinion of an extreme minority. It is not a majority opinion on Brass Goggles, and I do not want to see you feeling bad because someone shouted it louder than the rest of us either approved of dandyism, or just didn't care much either way.

I thought the Steampunk movement was free of jerkdom.. how sad and pointless.. after all, I'm sure the "normies" among us would think Steampunk was too "dandy" with all of that brass and schtuff.. ;)

Huzzah for the support.. very much appreciated.. makes me feel OK to look elegant..

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 16, 2010, 05:19:16 AM
Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 16, 2010, 04:44:42 AM

I thought the Steampunk movement was free of jerkdom.. how sad and pointless.. after all, I'm sure the "normies" among us would think Steampunk was too "dandy" with all of that brass and schtuff.. ;)

Huzzah for the support.. very much appreciated.. makes me feel OK to look elegant..

Well, we're all just people.

You should feel more than okay to look elegant.

(Incidentally, in the thread I posted a link to an LJ group, steam_elegance... did you know about that one yet?)

helios

Did an exam. That was okay. Now installing Neverwinter Nights, and looking forward to a nice bowl of porridge later tonight. Provided no-one's finished off the milk.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: helios on June 16, 2010, 05:51:26 AM
Did an exam. That was okay. Now installing Neverwinter Nights, and looking forward to a nice bowl of porridge later tonight. Provided no-one's finished off the milk.

Yay! Exams existing in the past is much better.

Feh, just add hot water and extra sugar if they have. It'll be fine.

maduncle

Spent most of the day bending copper tube...

... badly.

Turns out there is your straight tube that is hard (which I was trying to bend) and your annealed tube which is soft.

So I went and got some annealed tube and set about completely buggering up what I was trying to build.

Nevermind - back to the drawing board and I found a 'tubeless' solution which in fact looks better.

Sometimes tinkering on steampunk projects can be fun - and sometimes it can be a big waste of copper tube!
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

helios

Finally managed to split the party in my D&D game tonight. Seriously, when I decided to DM a game at my hall, I severely underestimated the amount of nerds. But it's largely fixed now. Also, I've discovered how extremely fun I find improv. I have this one player who doesn't play particularly seriously, and it can get annoying sometimes. He plays a halfling rogue. Tonight, he decided to eye up some peasants to see if he could pick their pockets. He could, but they noticed. And spat at him.
He failed the fortitude save.
Man, players get so whiny when you take away 1d2 Con damage. And it's not like I put a high DC on the Fort Save. I think I gave it a DC10?
But everyone said it was a pretty awesome moment. So yeah. That was good.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Indefinitive

Quote from: helios on June 16, 2010, 03:59:14 PM
Finally managed to split the party in my D&D game tonight. Seriously, when I decided to DM a game at my hall, I severely underestimated the amount of nerds. But it's largely fixed now. Also, I've discovered how extremely fun I find improv. I have this one player who doesn't play particularly seriously, and it can get annoying sometimes. He plays a halfling rogue. Tonight, he decided to eye up some peasants to see if he could pick their pockets. He could, but they noticed. And spat at him.
He failed the fortitude save.
Man, players get so whiny when you take away 1d2 Con damage. And it's not like I put a high DC on the Fort Save. I think I gave it a DC10?
But everyone said it was a pretty awesome moment. So yeah. That was good.

Ha! That'll put him in his place. xD

If you're ever desperate to split the party, figure out which ones are itching for some action, and throw in werewolves. Then you have pack tactics, and a good reason for their intelligence. Our DM had a really hard time splitting us, but he knows I love a good chase, so he threw in werewolves. I injured one, but it ran and I chased after it, thinking I could take it down, leaving our warlock and cleric with the two paladins.

I leave them alone for one fight, and they get themselves captured, and I turn up with nothing because I can't track well enough in the dark at a quick speed.

Woke up this morning to a phone call from my boss, with a reminder to finish a training module online by noon. Done it already... now I'm awake and bored.

darkshines

My day? After a week of not being able to sleep with nerves and worry about the Hendricks job, turns out I wasn't good enough for them. So an evening of severe depression, and possible self harm, will ensue.

I fucking hate rejection! I even got recommended! Am I like, hideously ugly or annoying or something?! I tried so fucking hard!

And fuck it all, I have an appointment with some self loathing thoughts. I hate myself.
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

Indefinitive

Quote from: darkshines on June 16, 2010, 04:55:18 PM
My day? After a week of not being able to sleep with nerves and worry about the Hendricks job, turns out I wasn't good enough for them. So an evening of severe depression, and possible self harm, will ensue.

I fucking hate rejection! I even got recommended! Am I like, hideously ugly or annoying or something?! I tried so fucking hard!

And fuck it all, I have an appointment with some self loathing thoughts. I hate myself.

I'm so sorry, Darkshines.  :(

darkshines

I'm so upset right now. I'm going to have to read about all my friends get the job and doing better than me, and instead of being happy for them, I will just be wondering what I did that was so crap.

Mechanic

Quote from: darkshines on June 16, 2010, 04:55:18 PM
So an evening of severe depression, and possible self harm, will ensue.

Do not do anything stupid. When you are out of the immediate funk, call up the Hendricks hiring person, thank them for the opportunity to apply, ask them what the winning candiate had that you didn't, ask how long your application will be kept on file and move on.

And most of us around here like you just fine.
Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.

Thor

I'm with Mechanic on this.  Have a few drinks, sleep it off and give them a call.  Just calling them back to thank them for the opportunity will place you back in their minds, and if they need anyone in the near future (people dropping out, or future events etc) you'll have placed yourself much higher on that list.

And who knows, maybe they just had too many good candidates (likely, considering the employment situation in the UK) and couldn't take everyone on.  I had that situation once, I was applying for a job, turned out about 20 of us were applying for 3 spaces.  I didn't get it, and asking the manager about it afterwards he'd said that I was their number 4, and I'd only just been edged out.  They later called me up to offer me the job (I guess one of them couldn't hack it), but I'd started working elsewhere by then.
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here

Judicator

Quote from: darkshines on June 16, 2010, 05:15:03 PM
I'm so upset right now. I'm going to have to read about all my friends get the job and doing better than me, and instead of being happy for them, I will just be wondering what I did that was so crap.

I always thought you were one of the cooler steampunks on this forum (no offense to anyone else).
If somone has a problem with you then thats their loss. They are missing out on having a creative, strong willed, imaginative and beautiful woman.
Hang in there, you have all of our support :D

Judicator

Quote from: Indefinitive on June 16, 2010, 04:04:03 AM
Quote from: Judicator on June 15, 2010, 10:54:35 PM

End it yourself. Don't put up with that. If there is a problem, you talk it out. And if she doesn't respect you enough to even want to talk it out, do you really want to be with her?

My day was alright. Spent a nice morning with this guy I like, and then did paperwork almost all day, and prepared almost fifty different files for references to be called tomorrow at work. I have the day off tomorrow, but I'm considering going in anyway to get a headstart on looking through files and straightening them out, or looking for discrepancies in the notes. I might also go to my old location a little later on so I can say hi to my girls there and follow up on a few things that I had left undone.

Well, unless someone else wants my time, which I think he might... we'll see. :)

We talked it out. Is all good my friend :)

darkshines

I can't help it, its a natural reaction to rejection for me. Not good that I am alone and can't use my phone at the moment.

I am fed up of looking like a sulking child who hasn't had their own way, so I am going offline.