News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II

Started by Flynn MacCallister, May 27, 2010, 12:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Alptraum on June 13, 2010, 11:21:30 AM
My brand new acrylic for contact juggling already has a bloody scratch on it (the grippy stuff on the surface of my balance board is basically sandpaper..)!!!! Anyone know how to get scratches out of an acrylic!? They're not too deep, but noticeable sometimes, which kinda spoils the effect.

You need to get hold of some very fine grit wet'n'dry paper- 600, 800, 1000, 2000, you need to wet sand the the area with the scratches in a circular motion, starting with the lowest grit, and with each grit rubbing slightly outside the previous sanding area, then you need to polish it- metal polish will work, something like Autosol or T-cut, but even after this, you'll need something finer- jeweller's rouge is good, but if you can get some 3M plastic polish, even better.

This is how I get the scratches off my acrylic space helmet.

Now I read that out loud, it does sound a bit odd...

Now, my GAAAAH!!!- I want to go into my local modelshop and buy the new spaceship model kits that are coming out from various Stateside manufacturers, but as they want £49.99 for a kit I can order from a US based hobbystore for £5 less than this- INCLUDING SHIPPING, what choice do I, as a money conscious consumer have? I thought the whole idea was that the shops bought in bulk at cost, and priced their stock competitively- someone somewhere is making money...

:(

chicar

Chemical toilet without proper hands cleansing installation. You know this blue boxs in outdoor events. For peeing thats ok ( i only begin to wash my hand after urinating at 14 years old, so yeah, only a day without), but when came to poop..... Purell is my mother's solution, but i just can't trust something who don't even made the poop stains disapear.
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Rockula

My computer's soundcard has died. And, as I use the computer mainly for editing music, this is an enormous GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

helios

Quote from: Thor on June 13, 2010, 04:59:19 AM
Things that make me go Gah... how about people who never want to make a decision on anything?  I really don't like to have to make every decision.  If I ask for your input, give it to me!  Don't say "Oh, anything, I don't mind, it's up to you."  If I'm asking for your opinion, that means it matters enough that I want to take it into consideration when making a decision.

"Okay, so what movie would you like to see?"
"Oh, anything, really, I don't mind"
"Well, what type of movies do you like?"
*blank stare*
"Are there any movies you really don't want to watch?"
"Anything, really"
"What about horror?  Do you like horror?"
"Oh, no, I can't watch horror movies..."
THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO WHEN I ASKED SPECIFICALLY???!?!

My GAAAAAAAAAAAAH! is that I'm guilty of doing this to people. But, in my defense, I only do this because I honestly couldn't tell you what I wanted to do/watch/eat.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Alptraum

Quote from: Herr Döktor on June 13, 2010, 11:54:51 AM
My brand new acrylic for contact juggling already has a bloody scratch on it (the grippy stuff on the surface of my balance board is basically sandpaper..)!!!! Anyone know how to get scratches out of an acrylic!? They're not too deep, but noticeable sometimes, which kinda spoils the effect.

You need to get hold of some very fine grit wet'n'dry paper- 600, 800, 1000, 2000, you need to wet sand the the area with the scratches in a circular motion, starting with the lowest grit, and with each grit rubbing slightly outside the previous sanding area, then you need to polish it- metal polish will work, something like Autosol or T-cut, but even after this, you'll need something finer- jeweller's rouge is good, but if you can get some 3M plastic polish, even better.

Ummmm... Acrylic space helmet?!??
And will this method remove much material? I need it to be as close to a sphere as possible, and perfectly transparent with no blemishes..

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Alptraum on June 13, 2010, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Herr Döktor on June 13, 2010, 11:54:51 AM

Ummmm... Acrylic space helmet?!??
And will this method remove much material? I need it to be as close to a sphere as possible, and perfectly transparent with no blemishes..

Microns, you're not changing the shape, just taking it down to the level of the scratches before polishing it, and yes, with enough polishing, you should get it back to it's original shine. If the scratches are very fine, try just the polish first, don't dive in with the wet'n'dry unless you have too!

RoseOak

Uhu glue all over my fingers and not a drop of nail varnish remover in the house  >:(. Have soaked  my hands in wamr soapy water but its still in the cracks. Serves me right for doing mixed media lavender dolls at 10:00 at night.

Auntie Ludmilla

Lavender dolls? Sounds intriguing. Hope they're on your web site... Going to go take a look. X
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

RoseOak

Not yet, sorry. I'll blog them tomorrow after work.
I'm still waiting for a friend to finished redoing RoseOak Studio but Shalotte is up and running  :)

Auntie Ludmilla

Very impressed with the shawl on your Shalotte site, it is to die for X
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

RoseOak

My other Gaaaah! for today.

Twas murmured in my shell like by a guest this afternoon

"Oh how quaint! you make tea in a teapot"

Herr Döktor

Quote from: RoseOak on June 13, 2010, 09:56:53 PM
Uhu glue all over my fingers and not a drop of nail varnish remover in the house  >:(. Have soaked  my hands in wamr soapy water but its still in the cracks. Serves me right for doing mixed media lavender dolls at 10:00 at night.

mmm... UHU glue...

Quote from: RoseOak on June 13, 2010, 10:23:01 PM

Next time, use a samovar.

;)

The Nordic One

Quote from: RoseOak on June 13, 2010, 10:23:01 PM

That is up there with the infamous American college boy conversation in Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport a couple of years ago:

Me: I'm going to Copenhagen
Them: Where's that?

RoseOak

Quote from: Auntie Ludmilla on June 13, 2010, 10:22:35 PM
Very impressed with the shawl on your Shalotte site, it is to die for X

Thank you :) Its made from Russian tape cotton and Colinette red silk. Its a lovely mix.

RoseOak

Quote from: Herr Döktor on June 13, 2010, 10:24:53 PM

mmm... UHU glue...

Those are not three words usually associated with each other  :D
QuoteNext time, use a samovar. ;)

Yes, that would probably work.  Twas murmured by dippy Julia. our local UKIP candidate. ..........We're Doomed!!

QuoteThat is up there with the infamous American college boy conversation in Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport a couple of years ago:

Me: I'm going to Copenhagen
Them: Where's that?

Nikola Tesla

Quote from: jesuisbienseule on June 13, 2010, 09:01:58 AM
My current GAAAAAH is the fact that if the amount of shouting footie fans keeping me awake lastnight is anything to go by, then I am destined not to sleep at all should we actually win or lose a match :S

Neighbors with noisy television party = Tesla Coil party at my place.

Once or twice, I've actually managed to get such people to decide that there sports evening would be better spent somewhere else.

My current GAAAHH is the fervent wish that civilization were the "thin veneer" people like to say it is, rather than the crippling inhibition it is in real life.  Oh to have broken that fellow's nose like I had in mind...don't worry, it'll pass.
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Indefinitive

My laptop. I sit with it in my lap for a minute, and it overheats and shuts off. Grumblegrumblegrumble...
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

The Nordic One

MY JELLY SANDWICH IS MOLDED!!!!!!!!!!

After the kind of horrible day I've had today, that was the topper..

I don't care how unChristian it is, I am getting WASTED now!!

phang

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 14, 2010, 01:25:50 AM

When you reach the bottom of the bottle, hit the reset button.  Tomorrow is a new day
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

The Nordic One

Quote from: phang on June 14, 2010, 01:47:54 AM

When you reach the bottom of the bottle, hit the reset button.  Tomorrow is a new day

Not for people like me it is

phang

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 14, 2010, 01:50:14 AM
Quote from: phang on June 14, 2010, 01:47:54 AM

Not for people like me it is

Well maybe not new, maybe more like re-gifted for the wrong holiday from last year after digging it out of the storage boxes and it still has the old tags on it. And it's the wrong size, color, and style.

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

arcwelder

Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

jringling

A simple little slip and fall... on a concrete boat ramp... 1 tetanus shot... 3 stitches in my foot... 3 stitches in my knee... crutches for 2 weeks...

I'm a dumb-ass...

darkshines

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

rovingjack

you hurt your foot too huh? may it be less problematic that this foot of mine.

It eased up some with topical creams and elevationfor a day. looking only slightly swollen  while up. and bloating out to a dark red bordering on purple with raised viens when I had to stand for more the 5mins.

It improved enough for me to go run an errand and visit people (just sitting and talking). after which it looked like a pink marshmellow with stubby toes. and that eased a bit with elevation but when ever it was lower than my heart it would feel like it was going to pop, and charliehorse cramps would start in my whole foot, on top of the throbbing pain. Ice, elevation and sleep brought me to a bad ache, and a day of staying off of it with occasional elevation has it feeling like a foot... until I stand or bump the foot. but even then just mostly feels like a bad sprain, I guess (i've only had one before and that was my hand).

I'm not ruling out fracture, or gout, or scurvy at this time. I can do something about the scurvy idea. And if it still seems a problem in a few days I'll call my doctor. then we can check the bones.

Least it's not as bad as that first night, gaaah I would almost prefer amputation to a foot that bad for any length of time.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.