News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II

Started by Flynn MacCallister, May 27, 2010, 12:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alptraum

Quote from: rovingjack on May 30, 2010, 04:20:25 AM
Quote from: Alptraum on May 29, 2010, 09:45:20 PM
Quote from: rovingjack on May 29, 2010, 06:07:35 PM
F-ing blender taking seven tries and sixteen hour to get a render that looks like it should do for the contest but somehow still fails to work when submitted...

I envy you your ability to MAKE THE BLOODY THING DO WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DO! Hrmmm.... But please post the images here when you're done!

I should weep, I had to remove many features to get one version that transferred to their system properly. It looked so much better before.
but for now:

I proudly present the most terrifying and devastating weapon to come out of the Gravin Star Empire. Capable of destroying a Gravin Battle synthoids nervous system with even a grazing blow.
http://www.raygunshootout.com/submission/143

Spoiler: ShowHide
the original idea came to me when the challenge was started, the most alien raygun design. So naturally the first few you get involve organic spikey glowing things from HRGieger type scifi. but I asked myself  "What are the chances that we might share similar asthetics with something truely alien?"
To something alien perhaps Kitties and butterflies are terrifying and I could even imagine cat spray and butterflies provinf deadlyto an alien or their ecosystem. So the idea of a raygun that is part kitten and part fuzzy pink cattterpillar amused me greatly.

Love the idea.. not sure who it's meant to be used by though - humans or aliens?

Quote from: Thor on May 30, 2010, 10:39:09 AM
Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on May 30, 2010, 03:01:10 AM
I can't even try to play any Rachmaninov. Love it, but I can't physically play it. My handspan is barely an octave. Rachmaninov routinely calls for an octave plus a third or fourth or so. Bastard.

I can't play anything above an octave on one hand either, and I can barely play the octave.  I've got quite short fingers for a bass player, I remember when I started I could only fret across the first four frets  :-\ Now it's 1-5 which is okay, and 5-12 on a guitar if I need to  ;)

I can just reach a 10th, which is STILL not enough for him. I can imagine him writing it, thinking "try and play THIS, puny mortal!"

Nikola Tesla

They say you have gum disease if your toothpaste comes out orange or pink after use...so I guess spitting out

these bright gouts of blood and one of my teeth

is no big deal, right?  Wrong!  Looks like another couple thousand bucks!  GAAAAAHHHH!!!!
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Moonracer

Being half asleep when an idea hits you like a 2x4 then not being to be able to go to sleep cause your mind sudenly is in overdrive.
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

Indefinitive

Quote from: Moonracer on May 31, 2010, 04:11:41 AM
Being half asleep when an idea hits you like a 2x4 then not being to be able to go to sleep cause your mind sudenly is in overdrive.

Oh, I hate that! I tend to be a bit of a night owl when I'm not working full-time, so my ideas would always come at night and I'd be up until dawn sketching and making notes if an idea popped into my head.
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

RoseOak

Upon awaking this morning I find my rust red hair dye last night has turned me into a gingernut.

I spent 3 hours this morning solidly baking only to find out that the main eater of the party thats arriving for tea won't be coming.
We were given some wheat free flour as they have allergies and I'm not happy with the results. The bread smells ghastly( I followed the recipe which called for sugar, eggs and vinegar  ???), the pastry in the pizza, quiche and  tartlets is rather bland but the cake and buns seem to be alright. They say after they come here for tea they get indigestion the next day and blame it on the flour not the fact that they come back for fourths not including cake.  ..................It has however taken them 5 years to mention this fact   ::) She was scared to mention this in case it ffended us and we didn't ask them round anymore.

Thor

I turned the AC off in the main house this morning because it wasn't cooling, and was therefore iced up.  I then went back to work, and got back ten minutes ago, to find my ceiling is dripping... and of course, it's right over my bed.  So now my bed is soaked  >:(  I'm lucky my macbook wasn't right in the middle of the bed, and it has a cover...
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here

Alptraum

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on May 31, 2010, 02:53:22 AM
They say you have gum disease if your toothpaste comes out orange or pink after use...so I guess spitting out

these bright gouts of blood and one of my teeth

is no big deal, right?  Wrong!  Looks like another couple thousand bucks!  GAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Ouch.... not fun. Get well soon.

jesuisbienseule

A customer who calls my intelligence into question because I work in a bookshop.

I'll have you know, SIR, that 80% of us have a Masters, and several have a PhD in the subject they are looking after. In case you haven't noticed, there is hardly a proliferation of highly paid employment available these days.

For what it is worth, the section I directed you to was on the right, which I repeated twice. You turned left, couldn't find it and subsequently came to berate me...

Pot, kettle, BLACK.

GAH!

LascielsShadow

Being treated like an idiot by members of my own fandom. Yes, please *do* continue to berate those of us wo go out in uniform with our proton packs to raise money for charities. Obviously *we're* the stupid ones, not those of you who just wear your gear to cons (or only make it to display) and pitch fits  when someone has the wrong shade of blue in their ribbon cable. Likewise, those same people who make fun of steampunk for being stupid while being in a fandom that builds and wears pretend nuclear accelerators on their backs.
GAAAAAAAAAAH!

Nikola Tesla

Do not look below the spoiler if you are "squicked" by dental issues, or if you are eating.

I tried putting the tooth from my last post back in, it didn't stay, and I appear to have swallowed it.  I checked with medical personnel and it appears I am in no danger of major medical complication as a result.  But I am now lacking a tooth, and a thousand miles away from home, my mouth now tastes the way those slaughterhouses smell and yes, of course I have thought about what it is going to be like to "pass" it - kind of can't think of much else, if truth be told, which might be why I'm off making odd posts in Meta Clubs again.  I am unlikely to be able to get it long term fixed for some time, and can't really look into even a temporary fix until at least next week.  I am in no pain - should that worry me? - but I am GAAAHHH-ing, unbelievably.  And I haven't even seen a real cost estimate yet.

Needless to say, this is nasty disgusting, hence the spoiler.
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Thor

Nikola:

I wouldn't worry too much about passing the tooth.  I've accidentally swallowed larger than a tooth (a coin... don't ask) and to be honest you don't really feel it.  I didn't know it had come out until I saw glinting under the water...

I would suggest washing your mouth out regularly with antiseptic mouthwash (yes, it will sting like a mother...) and pack the hole with a small gauze dressing.  But you should definitely go and see a dentist ASAP.

In other news... I went home yesterday morning, and the AC in the living room wasn't working.  "Oh, it's iced up," thinks I, "I'll just switch it over to heat, turn it up high and it'll defrost in no time."

What I had not considered was that it was very iced up, and that the AC unit itself was directly over my room.  I got home in the evening to find my bed completely soaked, the sheets, duvet, mattress.  Right where I normally sleep.  The puddle was massive, I put a bucket under it.

I had to sleep on the floor, which was not comfortable.  Luckily it seems to have stopped for now.
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 01, 2010, 05:00:55 AM
Do not look below the spoiler if you are "squicked" by dental issues, or if you are eating.

I tried putting the tooth from my last post back in, it didn't stay, and I appear to have swallowed it.  I checked with medical personnel and it appears I am in no danger of major medical complication as a result.  But I am now lacking a tooth, and a thousand miles away from home, my mouth now tastes the way those slaughterhouses smell and yes, of course I have thought about what it is going to be like to "pass" it - kind of can't think of much else, if truth be told, which might be why I'm off making odd posts in Meta Clubs again.  I am unlikely to be able to get it long term fixed for some time, and can't really look into even a temporary fix until at least next week.  I am in no pain - should that worry me? - but I am GAAAHHH-ing, unbelievably.  And I haven't even seen a real cost estimate yet.

My brother's mate got two teeth knocked out in a headclash during a soccer match. He swallowed one (and don't ask about the other), and was worrying the same thing. No issues.

If you can't get any medical help, (and I think you should be looking into it very seriously within the next couple of days, not letting it lay until next week... infections in your head area can spread and get dangerous...) at least try making up some saline (1/2 a teaspoon of non-iodized salt and 3/4 of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in 500 mL of warm water, made up fresh from pre-boiled water each time you use it) and rinsing your mouth with it after you eat...

helios

My life is making me gaaaaah at the moment.
I'm really homesick, my sleep schedule is frakked to high heaven, I'm running a D&D campaign that I've only half written, I have an essay due thursday that I haven't started yet, and I have a crush on a girl in my english class.

Oh, and it's been raining steadily for the last two weeks, and the dryer's broken.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

jesuisbienseule

Quote from: helios on June 01, 2010, 08:11:39 AM
I'm really homesick, my sleep schedule is frakked to high heaven, I'm running a D&D campaign that I've only half written, I have an essay due thursday that I haven't started yet, and I have a crush on a girl in my english class.

Oh, and it's been raining steadily for the last two weeks, and the dryer's broken.

Gah indeed :( My sympathies!

Is the girl you have a crush on definitely not interested??

darkshines

I don't think I love Muse anymore :(

I listened to Neutron Star Collision this morning and deided I am taking a break from Muse. They have changed so much and are no longer the band I fell in love with. I thought "we" were ok after The Resistance, but shit like I Belong to You and Neutron Star Collision make me feel sick. I'll come back to them in a year or so and start with the early stuff again and see how I feel. I have been a fan of Muse since the begining, and fell in love with songs like Unintended, Uno, Dead Star and Ashamed. Songs that were written when Muse didn't give a fuck, when they weren't earning millions of pounds and made music because they wanted to. I cringe at songs like Neutron Star Collision. That wasn't written out of raw painful love, like Unintended, or pride and regret like Falling Down. It wasn't even written on a drunken/drugged up high like Plug In Baby.It was written purely for a film, to cash in on a popular phenomena, and that brings me shame. Maybe if they spent less money filling the stage with lights, fireworks and shit like that, and spent more time being themselves, it could be better. Random break up cliches cometo mind: "its not you, its me", "we should still be friends", "you are a real swell band but I am just not ready for that sort of commitment right now" and so on.

So yeah, sorry Muse, and sorry to everyone I have made friends with over the last 10 plus years from forums, gigs and so forth via Muse. But I just can't do this right now.

Peace.
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Thor

In some ways, Darkshines, I know how you feel.

I was a little underwhelmed by The Resistance.  It's grown on me somewhat, but it won't have that special place in my heart like some of the earlier albums did.  I didn't like Neutron Star Collision at all, it felt like a particularly weak B-side (and some of the songs I like more are B-sides...).  I did like I Belong To You however, just because it was a nice change tonally from the rest of the album.

I have to admit, I was first introduced to Muse through Origin of Symmetry, but I loved them so much I bought that and Showbiz straight away.  Muscle Museum was the first song I learned to play on Bass.

I'm taking a break from Muse, but it's because my tastes cycle periodically.  I'll listen mainly to one band for a month or several, then something will trigger me to listen to another band.  The best thing you can do is take a break from them, come back in a year or so and listen with fresh ears.

darkshines

Thats the plan. Thanks for the sweet reply,some people ust don't get how important Muse are to me *hugs*
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Thor

Believe me, you're exactly like a couple of my other friends... I'm not quite all the way there but Muse have been pretty important in my life too.

My latest Gah... my foot hurts, and I've got a big red patch of soreness on my leg.  I'm not sure how it happened, probably when I was pushed into a swimming pool fully clothed on sunday.

Capt. Dirigible

Quotea thousand miles away from home, my mouth now tastes the way those slaughterhouses smell and yes, of course I have thought about what it is going to be like to "pass" it - kind of can't think of much else, if truth be told, which might be why I'm off making odd posts in Meta Clubs again.  I am unlikely to be able to get it long term fixed for some time, and can't really look into even a temporary fix until at least next week.

Are you afraid this incident might come back and bite you in the arse? ;D

You aren't really concidering have the tooth fixed back in your mouth after it's been through your digestive system, are you?
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

helios

Quote from: jesuisbienseule on June 01, 2010, 09:45:07 AM
Quote from: helios on June 01, 2010, 08:11:39 AM

Gah indeed :( My sympathies!

Is the girl you have a crush on definitely not interested??

No idea. We're friends, and I'm astonishingly bad at gauging female interetedness. So any interestedness she may or may not have shown would probably have just been interpreted as friendliness. Also, having never been in a relationship previous, I have nothing to guage it against.

Yay. Social ineptitude. Joy of joys.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Nikola Tesla

This is less gross and probably doesn't need the spoiler.  Apologies if I'm wrong.

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on June 01, 2010, 11:14:28 AM
You aren't really concidering have the tooth fixed back in your mouth after it's been through your digestive system, are you?

Heh ew no...obviously, I'm going to need some sort of implant or falsie.  Hence the likely long term cost.

Not too worried about infection spreading, as nothing looks inflamed at this point, nothing's swollen or tender, the tooth's long dead (it was an old crown), and that bad taste is gone...I suspect the last was because I really had some rotting meat stuck in there.  Gross, but not too alarming.  (At first I feared I was rotting and didn't know due to nerve damage, but other sensations are normal and the taste is gone so I don't think so).  It's actually a bit better this way because now I can clean the area normally, floss the neighboring teeth again and use mouthwash, of which I have three good kinds.  But I do rather obviously need to talk to a dentist as quickly as I can.  I have heard the same stories others have, about unattended dental infections leading to brain infection and even death.  But I'm pretty sure I will be all right.

Is "pretty sure" enough?  It's enough when I get on the highway or fly in a plane, after all...just call the dentist and make an appointment for ASAP.

Today's GAH...you know you've been traveling too much for work when you enter a bookstore and head straight for "local interest", because you're not sure you remember which state you're in this week...yeah, I also need to sleep more.

jesuisbienseule

Quote from: helios on June 01, 2010, 01:20:43 PM
No idea. We're friends, and I'm astonishingly bad at gauging female interetedness. So any interestedness she may or may not have shown would probably have just been interpreted as friendliness. Also, having never been in a relationship previous, I have nothing to guage it against.

Yay. Social ineptitude. Joy of joys.

Trust me, I don't know what age you are now but understanding women will never get any easier... I *am* one and I still don't understand them.

If you're already friends, maybe suggest doing something that you both like to do like going to a movie; so that you can spend some more time together?

My gah for today is that June 1st is doing a remarkably good impression of October 1st. I quite like the rain, but being battered by other people's umbrellas is less than scintillating.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 01, 2010, 07:54:07 AM
Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 01, 2010, 05:00:55 AM

My brother's mate got two teeth knocked out in a headclash during a soccer match. He swallowed one (and don't ask about the other), and was worrying the same thing. No issues.

If you can't get any medical help, (and I think you should be looking into it very seriously within the next couple of days, not letting it lay until next week... infections in your head area can spread and get dangerous...) at least try making up some saline (1/2 a teaspoon of non-iodized salt and 3/4 of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in 500 mL of warm water, made up fresh from pre-boiled water each time you use it) and rinsing your mouth with it after you eat...

I second this. I had some teeth extracted a while ago and the dentist told me to make up this solution and use it as a mouthwash. I didn't get an infection. Apparently it has disinfectant qualities and helps the wound to heal more quickly.

Nikola Tesla

Heh, it's raining here too, halfway 'round the world.  (Or a quarter the way, going by time zones).

Nothing special I suppose...it's allowed to rain in two places at once, but cute.  I like the sound of the wind.

Edited to add:  that saline idea is a good one, and easy to do at home.  Thanks for sharing it, guys. :)

jesuisbienseule

I love listening to the rain once I'm home; I'm just of the unfortunate height that seems to put the spikes of everyone else's umbrellas pretty much at my eye level; making perambulation of any kind a little risky in the centre of town.