News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (mk. II)

Started by proteus, May 28, 2010, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deseret

Hello there!

I'm Deseret, or Des for short  ;)

I'm 25, the mother of two, and live amid the potato fields of S.E. Idaho, in all it's glory.  Here to see if I can find some fellow steampunk enthusiasts from my local area.  I'm also a musician...violin, as well as a food and history geek, particularly if and when I can combine the two!

My Steampunk persona and the ideas rolling around in my head are based on questioning what would have happened if the United States lost the Utah War, and a large portion of the West was instead the Theo-democratic State of Deseret. 

Looking forward to getting to know people, and learning about what others are doing!  :)

InTheDark

^ There are two kinds of people in Utah.
Mormons.
And people that hate them.

I'm not saying that to be funny, there is a permanently hostile, ugly atmosphere of seclusion and exclusion here (I live in Utah) and because of that. I am working on an escape plan from this souless, artless Hick-hole.

All my negativity aside. I'm a 24 year old male, I love tinkering, repairing and building things. I'm a half decent artist with a great eye for detail.

and no matter who you are. I probably have more music than you.

I definitely have weirder music than you.

I love music. a lot.

I'm also really random.
The more bleak the day. The less I behave as if Everything black can wash away.

Captain Shipton Bellinger

What ho! Mr Witherspoon,

Welcome to Brass Goggles. Whereabouts in the Black Country are you? As you may or may not know, we west midlanders (or Mercians, if you prefer) are quite active and very friendly. Perhaps we'll see you soon at a meet?

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Alistair Witherspoon

Interesting, I didn't realise we had such a community here. But it's doubtful I'll attend a meet anytime soon, really. Maybe eventually.

AndrewHk2

Hey!

My name's Andrew, I'm 22, I'm here trying to find out some more about the Aetheria Steampunk MUD!

Lady Amelia Atkins

hi.
i'm whitney. but my steampunk persona is amelia atkins.
right now i'm working on a steampunk outfit that i plan to wear to the steampunk world's fair in may.
:]

InTheDark

Quote from: Lady Amelia Atkins on September 06, 2010, 04:43:17 PM
hi.
i'm whitney. but my steampunk persona is amelia atkins.
right now i'm working on a steampunk outfit that i plan to wear to the steampunk world's fair in may.
:]
Hi Whitney, I'm Whitney.

Deseret

Quote from: InTheDark on September 06, 2010, 05:59:25 AM
^ There are two kinds of people in Utah.
Mormons.
And people that hate them.

I'm not saying that to be funny, there is a permanently hostile, ugly atmosphere of seclusion and exclusion here (I live in Utah) and because of that. I am working on an escape plan from this souless, artless Hick-hole.

All my negativity aside. I'm a 24 year old male, I love tinkering, repairing and building things. I'm a half decent artist with a great eye for detail.

and no matter who you are. I probably have more music than you.

I love music. a lot.

I'm also really random.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you feel that strongly about it.  I can understand why, but it doesn't mean I agree with it.  TBH, I wouldn't choose to live in Utah myself, either.

InTheDark

there is just a special kind of Evil bred on the Wasatch front (which counts for like... 90 percent of the population of Utah.)
And I've never seen it anywhere else. so many people hating each other.

I'm saving up to make a Mad Dash to Seattle. people seemed... accepting of each other there.

beltfedwanderer

hi all. Im Aaron from california. 23 year old United States Marine. Just found out about steampunk, very interested. Going through divorce now so I think its time i found something to do other than work and be stressed out in general.

WaywardSparrow

Hello, I go by Sparrow.
I'm a 19 year old student from the Orlando area of Florida. I'm home-schooled and have far too much time on my hands. I suppose I've always been drawn to Steampunk, I've loved Victorian mannerisms and style for a long time, but also loved a more punk look.  I think Steampunk settles these both together nicely and has a lot of ideas that I like very much, such as bringing subtle elegance and taking time on things back into our day-to-day life. I still have trouble bringing Steampunk into my day-to-day though, in the form of style mostly, because I like to do dirty work and I spend a lot of time around tramp-kids and will soon be joining their ranks.

I love classic education though, once I'm done rolling in dirt and oil. I've played violin for the past four years, with heavy influence on a classical education, I am also learning French, Norwegian, Sign Language and Latin and will soon be adding fencing into the mix (though I may have to settle for a self-education). I can make a great cup of tea, and grow my own and make a killer soufflé to go with it. I'm rather proud of being a living study of contradictions.

I'm sure I will learn plenty from this forum and hopefully meet some like-minded folks in my area. It's rather lonely here, no one likes the idea of tea followed by building a penny farthing.

AlegrahEredschtadt

Welcome, Sparrow! I'm from Florida myself, though the upper region, and also homeschooled. :P Glad to see someone else on the forum who is! And your classical interests sound like a great "base" for liking steampunk. Ask for help if you ever need any! Make yourself at home, most of us don't bite. :]

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/

Andrew John Brevis

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
my name is Andrew and I am 19 years old.
I am interested in SP quite long, well, I love Victorian age, especially fashion, science and manors since I realized how people behave these days. I just didn´t know it has a name  :)

I noticed almost everybody here are from USA or England, so pardon me if my English isn´t perfect.

I live in Czech Republic, not many steampunkers here. Actually, nobody seems to understand why I like to wear old fashioned clothes, but it just feel right and comfortable to me. I studied at technical high school of engineering, where I started to love mechanisms, and I fell in love with steam machines and inventions of 19th and first half of 20th century (yet I am no handyman, I don´t have any work-room or resources). But now I am going to study "art sience" at college (I don´t know the translation to EN), it´s kinda funny change  :)
I love music, and I am not quite mainstream listener. I love classical music, I like Jazz (Swing, etc..), Irish or celtic folk music, and lot of instrumental or ambient music (like soundtracks etc.). But I can handle rock, or even some metal, depends on mood  :)

I also play guitar, some flutes, and my dream is to learn piano, but my pocket is empty most of the time  :D I also do a little magic, because it fascinate me since I was child. I am fascinated by old carnevals and that sort of things. I love how you can amaze someone by just pulling a coin from the air. It just makes me feel timetravel little backwards, when the future was brighter  :)

Well, I think that´s enough. I hope I will be at least little useful to this community, I know I will learn a lot. I´d like to visit some SP gathering too, maybe one day :)

Have an extraordinary evening indeed

Birdnest

Welcome to the forum Norwesterners!
We're is the tiedye portion of the Northwest (The Bitterroot in western Montana).  Everyone is a maker and/or simply odd.  We absolutely love it here :D

@InTheDark ...
QuoteI definitely have weirder music than you.
do you have original cds for Sounds from the Ground or Zero One or Redshift?  Bloody hard to find!

I experienced the Utah experience a few times myself (general coldness, robbery, etc) in SLC ... could simply be typical city drama.

Onward ho!

InTheDark

Quote from: Birdnest on September 08, 2010, 05:41:50 PM
@InTheDark ...
QuoteI definitely have weirder music than you.
do you have original cds for Sounds from the Ground or Zero One or Redshift?  Bloody hard to find!

I experienced the Utah experience a few times myself (general coldness, robbery, etc) in SLC ... could simply be typical city drama.

Sadly I do not! though I do have quite a lot of experimental electronica. And digital downloads of Sounds From The Ground

I also have the complete soundtrack to ECCO The Dolphin, faithfully recreated by some person out there. I imagine if you like Zero One it would be worth checking out!

And Although it may be too Ambient, and lacking in Poppy beats, If you can, Go check out Bitcrush, Particularly the Epilogue In Waves Album!

As For utah, SLC is the least craziest part, its so full of outsiders that the crazy isn't in full swing there. its my favorite part of this state.

And the Evil I'm talking about is this weird, behind the scenes... festering in people who work to hide it with painted smiles kind of evil.

its just... wrongness.

like the Movie Pleasantville. that movie. completely sums up Northern Utah.

RangerSG

Greetings,

I'm Shawn. I live in Springfield, Misery. And ack, is the weather living down to that today. I'm an aspiring author who recently finished his third rough draft in a series of 'black powder' era Historical Fantasies (16th century alternate history). While working on that, I started becoming enamored with the Steampunk aesthetic and thinking about all the cool stuff I could have done if I'd just set my characters a few hundred years later, hehe.

Well, I'm shopping my first novel now, and I decided that three books in that series is far enough down the pike to do for the time being. I don't want to be 7 years and 10 rough drafts into a series and not able to sell book 1 because the Literary Agents don't like it. So I've started making a new Gaslight Fantasy setting, still with plenty of rivets, dirigibles, and goggles. But it also has magic and secret societies that use it. I'm even toying of making a sort of Theives' World type collaborative setting with this where people can set works in the world, but keep them as their own. We'll see.

Anyway, none of that is to sell my as-yet-nonexistent book. It's to say while doing setting research, I stumbled across this site. And when I was looking at it again today, I saw the forum. So to make a short story long, I joined.  :P  *tips top hat* Pleased to meet you all.

Mister-Sam

Greetings people -

My name is Sam Shearon, I am also known as Mister-Sam.

I'm a graphic artist, illustrator and designer based in Deepest Darkest England in the United Kingdom.
My work consists of both science fiction elements and horror themes as well as flavours from the occult, the supernatural and various eras of note that are considered influential on the 'Steampunk' movement.

Feel free to drop me a line -

^_^

.S.S.

CmdrPrize

Hola.

Prize here. You can refer to me as Stu. I'm into sci-fi heavily especially star wars, some random other series as well. I'm new to "cosplay" or going to conventions. I'm not sure what else to put here - catch you in IRC!

DreamHazard

Quote from: CmdrPrize on September 11, 2010, 01:15:16 AM
Hola.

Prize here. You can refer to me as Stu. I'm into sci-fi heavily especially star wars, some random other series as well. I'm new to "cosplay" or going to conventions. I'm not sure what else to put here - catch you in IRC!

good to see you over here on the forum :D

CmdrPrize

Quote from: DreamHazard on September 11, 2010, 03:53:49 AM
Quote from: CmdrPrize on September 11, 2010, 01:15:16 AM
Hola.

good to see you over here on the forum :D

Thanks!

Xenos

Hi all, name's Xenos (I usually take the meaning of "Stranger" or "Traveller," since that's what I am, a pilgram on a journey, it's also the name of a character I'm fleshing out), but you can call me X.

Although not new to the CONCEPT of steampunk (I was introduced to Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when it came out in Grapich Novel form, as well as the game "Skies of Arcadia" for dreamcast [not TRUE steampunk, but has some stylings]), I am new to the CULTURE, and it's something I'm VERY interested in getting involved in (the clothes, the designs, all breathtaking...)...  IN FACT, I started working on a gas light/steampunk romance story, I'm only around 1000 words in now, but I'm working on it (it's the story with Xenos in it).

Lesse here, what to tell, what to tell...

I'm into music.  HEAVY into music.  I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, keyboards, I'm learning violin, and cello.  I'm VERY into progressive music (ELP, Yes, ELO, Pink Floyd [dear LORD I love David Gilmour!], Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Rush, the list goes on...), and VERY into doom/grunge/sludge/desert/stoner metal (Black Sabbath, Sleep, Kyuss, Helmet, Paradise Lost, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, again, the list goes on.), and also acoustic music (Andy McKee, Don Ross, Nick Drake [dear lord, if you've NOT heard Nick Drake, look him up NOW!!!!!!!]).  I'm in a metal band named Centervoid, as well as doing my acoustic stuff on the side.

I'm married and have a daughter.  She's picking up the harmonica quite well, for only being 21 months old.

I'm also an avid video gamer, and usually lean towards games that have technology, but at the same time are set back in the day (i.e. Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II and III, Final Fantasy VI, VII).

So, I guess what I need to say is, I'm new, and I'm glad to be here.   

Also, dont be surprised if I dont know ALOT about steampunk, like I said, I know about the CONCEPT, but that's about it.  I want to LEARN though! :D
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

Thirteen

Hello all, I am from Sydney, in beautiful Enmore. I love tinkering, I have a vintage synthesiser and electronic musical instrument restoration business, and I only work on old machines. I am also a member of Studio Serpentine, the electronic music studio of Gallery Serpentine in Sydney, my avatar is a photo of us, I am in the red coat on the right. Have been fascinated with the Steampunk ethic since childhood, well before the word came into popular use. Currently I am working with Nixie tubes, I love old display technology, and will soon have some nice nixie devices to display in the store. Have been reading the forum, really enjoy it and hope that I can contribute.
Vintage synthesiser restorer.    www.synthrepairs.com
Gallery Serpentine janitor.       www.galleryserpentine.com

helios

Quote from: InTheDark on September 06, 2010, 05:59:25 AM

Woah there. Them's fighting words!

That aside, welcome to all of ye, and I hope each and everyone of you enjoys your time here.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

WaywardSparrow

Xenos

Quote from: WaywardSparrow on September 12, 2010, 06:25:59 PM
*Gasp* A violinist! *clings to*  :D

Not YET...  The learning curve for said instrument is VERY difficult...  Something not right about the BOW...  ???
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...