News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (mk. II)

Started by proteus, May 28, 2010, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Elle

Hi All,

Got back from Weekend at the Asylum today, what a fantastic event!

My name is El, I'm 29 and I've returned from Lincoln's prolific Steampunk weekend really impressed by the creativity and variety in this genre. My mind is buzzing with ideas, and that's the way I like it! I have always loved imagining, designing and creating all kinds of things, and Steampunk is the latest art to catch my eye. Currently I work a lot with fiber arts; knitting, crochet, Naal, dry felting, and sewing. I also occassionally turn my hand to embroidery, card making, glass painting, jewellry making, costume making, and modelling in any medium that captures my imagination!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all,

El  :)

The Mad Scientist

hello all

i`m Leon , 29 and from the netherlands
i`ve just discovered the world of steampunk

We have a million cubic feet of gas but no heat. . . .
Merciless cold driving through the canvas walls of this flying tent. ...
I have visualized myself gracefully draped over a saloon window ledge romantically viewing the moonlit sky

Rhapsody

Hello, I'm Rhapsody. I'm 15, and I've been interested in steampunk for a while, and after lurking around the Weekend at the Asylum event in Lincoln I decided to join...
I love all the skirts and corsets and the general Victorian style that goes with steampunk, and the general fantasy aspect of it, as well as the rest of the details and clocks and little bottles and goggles! They're all so sweet!
Anyway, I'm also a fan of gothic lolita and anime/manga, as well as quite a few video games (Especially Final Fantasy, partly responsible for my love of airships...)
Anyway, I'm hoping to start gathering an outfit in the style of an airship pilot, and maybe even start developing a persona...
The pilot of an airship that doesn't really exist yet...

AlegrahEredschtadt

Welcome, Rhapsody! It's great to see younger steampunks like myself and Mr. Witherspoon. I'm glad you like all of it, it seems. And an airship pilot sounds like a great place to start! If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask me or any of the members. We may seem a bit off-the-wall at (all) times, but we don't bite! Most of us, at least.   :D

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/

WaywardSparrow

Quote from: Xenos on September 12, 2010, 07:22:27 PM
Quote from: WaywardSparrow on September 12, 2010, 06:25:59 PM
*Gasp* A violinist! *clings to*  :D

Not YET...  The learning curve for said instrument is VERY difficult...  Something not right about the BOW...  ???

If you have trouble, feel free to message me. I'm not a master violinist or anything, but I know a little after 4 1/2 years.
Also, don't you give up! The first year was hell full of fine tunning bowing and finger placement, but that first year passes and then you've got the hang of it and I promise it gets loads easier. Many people just can't take that first year of muscle pain and frustration that makes you want to break the damn thing.

Xenos

Quote from: WaywardSparrow on September 14, 2010, 05:08:04 PM
If you have trouble, feel free to message me. I'm not a master violinist or anything, but I know a little after 4 1/2 years.
Also, don't you give up! The first year was hell full of fine tunning bowing and finger placement, but that first year passes and then you've got the hang of it and I promise it gets loads easier. Many people just can't take that first year of muscle pain and frustration that makes you want to break the damn thing.

Yeah, I'm working through the muscle pain...  The BIGGEST issue is I cant exactly hold the violin "traditional" like, since I've got a bum shoulder.  I have to hold that mug like Fiddler from Roots...  Meaning all lessons on holding a bow the right way go RIGHT OUT the window!  :-[  Ah well, I'm getting there.  I DO know finger placement pretty well (after 10 years of playing Bass/Guitar, I had BETTER know it! ;)).  But yes, if you have ANY tips for working around a bad shoulder, I'd LOVE to know them!  So far the only advice I've got is "Get a Wood Violins Viper," or "Well, you just might have to NOT play violin..."  Both of which I sort of said "heh, NO, I've got this!"  It's just a matter of WORKING it, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

bikebodger

Morning. :)

Just joined after lurking for a while.

I've recently started making various steampunk objects, though have been interested for some time. All sorts of other creations come out of my workshop, including woodburning stoves and repaired Land Rovers... ;D

Steam took a hold on me very early on, and I ended up spending all my spare time in my teens restoring GW engines on a preserved railway. Though the politics and bickering in the organisation drove me away  :(

And I spend much of the summer running events and festivals - particularly medieval re-enactments.

The Steampunk Workshops

Creators ~ Makers ~ Inginieurs

www.steampunkworkshops.co.uk

Mme. Temperance Ashburn

Hello everyone.

After having lurked about this site for a few months I realized it was rather silly of me not to join.

I have little ability when it comes to "making" my own steamy things but have always had a great interest in the mechanics of things. I do sew a little and embroider like it is going out of style. Which, happily, it is not.

Currently living and working in Maine and have far too little time on my hands to be as crafty as I would like.
It is useless to contend with the irresistible power of Time, which goes on continually creating by a process of constant destruction. ~ E.T.A. Hoffmann

Vivian Zeiyx

Why ello there,

Feel free to break up and use my name as you wish; Viv, Z, Zeiyx, Hey You,
whatever comes to mind at the moment. ^.^

Stumbled upon the site while searching for information on the Wild West Fest & Steampunk Emporium event that was suppose to take place in August/Sept (postponed till 2011) in the area. I've been fascinated by everything Steampunk for quite sometime but haven't been able to spend much time researching or being able to experience it first-hand - So 'm set to learn.

'm a very crafty person that loves to draw, write, and create (sewing, etc) and would love to be able to learn a new craft.
Can' wait to get to know you all,  best wishes.

- Zeiyx

Judah

Greetings all from Atlanta GA.  I've just recently gotten involved in the world of steampunk thanks to my wife and a friend of ours.  I've done costuming before (501st) but nothing like steampunk so I've got a lot to learn and will probably bug the hell out of some folks trying to get information.  If anyone knows of a local crew in the Atlanta area that we can hook up with that would be great, so I can just bug them firsthand rather than y'all.  Guess that's all for now.
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees...

SolarCenturion

Welcome all...

I'm here only a few months myself but I can honestly say you all have found your way to a great community.  Hope you guys have as much fun here as I've been having.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

blue honey

Hey new here. I am a 27 year old  stow away/ scullery boy at a historiclly successfull cooperative natural grocery store ( which despite some harsh critics is not to be likened to whole foods), I reside in the prarie of the northren region of the land of the lost, just south of the fourth coast and west of little ethiopia. I am immenselly interested in this site and came here by accident looking for instructions on how to make ink. I really am not planning on spending much time here to day but thought I would introduce myself.
There seems to be some really neat stuff going on here. I am only have very vague ideas as to what steampunk even means. Nonetheless by the quick browse I made it appears it is something for which I may have an affinity. Thanks guys..... looking forward to spending some time on here later.

tudorella

'Ello

IRL my name is Jena, but when cosplaying I prefer Ella LaRoux. I'm a 21 year old mother and navy wife, although I'm working on changing that (the wife part...due to the navy part). Currently I find myself in the boondocks of North Cackalacky (aka the less cool of the Carolinas), but I'd really love to get back to Seattle, where I spent the last two years. My journey to steam punk has been long, starting with Howl's Moving Castle, then meandering through various anime and manga and gothic/lolita cosplay before getting bored and looking for something new. I've always loved the victorian lifestyle and dress and can't wait to create my first steam punk costume!

Captain Quinlin Hopkins

Welcome everyone.  Do pull up a chair and relax for a while.  We've a wonderful little nook here where you can simply sit and read till you heart is content.  Stay, enjoy, stare with wonder and laugh with abandon. 

blue honey, I've sent you a note on the ink. 
Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society

veresae

Greetings! I've actually made quite a few posts already because didn't wander into the off-topic forum until now. Hah.

My name is Jonathan. I'm 22 as of this posting, and I live near (and go to school in) San Francisco, studying creative writing. My favorite sort of steampunk is the dark, gothic variety. (I adore fog-drenched, gothic interpretations of Victorian England, so it's quite fitting that I'd prefer the sort of steampunk that takes place in a similar setting.) Besides writing, I like acting, art, movies, music, video games, books, comics/graphic novels, browsing bookstores, talking in fake British accents, and more.

I'm terribly unprivate, so if there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to PM me. :P

LiaHabel

Good evening, everyone. I just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself! I'm really a terribly shy, anxious individual, so please forgive me if I come across as awkward.

My name is Lia, and I've been interested in steampunk and Neo-Victorianism for as long as I can remember, although, again, I've never been very social. I'd love to meet new people!

My hobbies include studying the walking dead from an anthropological/apologetic perspective, buying far too many frilly things, and being intimidated by basically everything that walks on two legs. And some things that go about on four. Occasionally, I am a clockwork girl.

I look forward to meeting all of you!
"I don't see how you can help me - I don't see how anyone could help me. I used to talk to you about the past...I loved it so much that I wanted to live there! But I was wrong." - Vicki Winters, Dark Shadows, 1967ish?

Inmora

Hello all.

I kinda new to the Steampunk genre, so please bear with me. But by the way, I am Inmora, though the name is Egyptian it has been with me for, oh gods.. umm 1st edition DnD. Yea, I know I'm that old. :)

But never less, I recently have become interested in Steampunk, but I can say I have been interested since, please don't laugh to hard, Crimson Skies came out for the Xbox. But this year I finally am making attempt to get my first outfit ready for Halloween and other occasions if I can find some down here in the deep south.

But a little background, former Army of 8 years, and a reserve Law Enforcement officer for roughly two years. Right now I currently reside in Louisiana, around the New Orleans area. As mentioned above, yes I'm a gamer as well. I have dabbled in everything from pen and paper to MMOs. I am also one of those who enjoys meeting new people and seeing new places, but once you get to know me I tend to settle toward the background, bad habit I got from the Army and being in LE. But over all, I hope to get to know others that can help me out fleshing out my outfit, I hope to have it done before the holidays. I am currently trying to shoot for Steampunk/Airship pirate type look.

Eh, here I am rambling. -smirks- But it is nice to see how Steampunk has really come out and the outfits people have are amazing!!

AlegrahEredschtadt

Welcome, welcome, welcome all! Most of us don't bite, and those of us who do normally give fair warning if we like you. ;]

But yes! Pull up a seat, don't be afraid to ask questions or butt in. We've all done it and I'm fairly sure you'll be welcome anywhere in due time, if not immediately. Have fun and ask away!

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

Inmora

Quote from: AlegrahEredschtadt on September 25, 2010, 01:40:19 AM
Welcome, welcome, welcome all! Most of us don't bite, and those of us who do normally give fair warning if we like you. ;]

But yes! Pull up a seat, don't be afraid to ask questions or butt in. We've all done it and I'm fairly sure you'll be welcome anywhere in due time, if not immediately. Have fun and ask away!

Thank you for the welcome.  But I should warn you all, I bite back. ;P

AlegrahEredschtadt

Of course, of course! And haha, you'll be surprised how many of us will bite you back yet again. :P

~ ~ ~

Poppy Locks

Just a quick intro from me!  I'm a passionate maker of things who resides in the south of England.  Most weekends during the summer are taken up with a Victorian Equestrian group I am part of (www.skinnershorse.co.uk).  I am not one of the riders I must add!  Knowing how difficult their horses are, I have a huge respect for them!  When not doing that I am generally found to be making things, anything, all kinds of things, many things!  I'll give anything a go although leather is my usual material I have been found to work with fabric and wood.  Steampunk is another way of letting my creativity flow!  Sometimes the constraints of period correct Victorian stuff is a little stiffling!

Costuming is something I have been involved with for over 30 years and its something I love.  Add to that a genre which appeals as much as Steampunk does and it makes me a very happy bunny indeed!  I look forward to getting to know you all!

Poppy
http://poppylockscog.wordpress.com/
The Slowly Turning Cog

MmeHerbella

Hello everyone,

An introduction from a Dutch Newbie:
Old&New, New&Old... relatively new to steampunk as such, but also quite familiar with the style - just didn't know there was a name to it  8)
I've been living in a squatted place for years now, in which steel&leather are widely used. Anyone familiar with the Robodock festival (going on in Amsterdam right now)? Lots of friends working there!

Since I've been googling around a bit I started to discover more and more stuff that I already liked, appearantly was called 'steampunk' (like the novels of China Mieville, like the wonderful bugs from insectlabstudio, like the insides of watches I always liked so much  ;)).
Immediately infected my neighbour, who's an artist and dived head-first in steampunk.
I'm a herbalist myself, running a business in health consults, babywearing, cloth diapering, balms etc. And planning to do 'something' with herbs and steampunk combined, although not sure what it will be exactly  :D

Anyway, I'll be reading here a lot, I guess, and maybe contribute when I see a discussion I can contribute in!

greetings,
MmeHerbella

Farrier Brown

Evening fellow steampunkers!

My name is Farrier Brown (IRL name being Andrew), 19 years old and from London, I am new to the Steampunk culture but so far from what I have seen and heard, I've been immersed, I'm currently planning to do my first cosplay at the MCM London Expo in Halloween but after that I want to be more involved with the culture, and mixing it with the current style I have (being a DJ who is mixing Drum & Bass and Digital Hardcore elements, I wanna bring more of a Steampunk vibe to be like a....how to put it, Extreme Steampunker)

I am looking to get costume ideas and the like to get that perfect look. I've also been listening to Dr. Steel and Abney Park for insperation.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all not only at the Expo, but around the world too

Farewell for now friends.

peps1

Hi guys and girls, thought I should take the time to introduce myself!

Im Peps1 from England, 30 years old and make a living working with vintage audio equipment....mainly the restoration and recreation of vintage 60's/70's guitar effects peddles.

Im a keen maker, and barker currently a little obsessed with Arduino micro controllers!

I also run a Pipe Smoking forum http://pipechat.info/ so if anyone has any pipe questions, feel free to give me a shout, or join up!

Argus Fairbrass

Hi!
My name is Stuart.
I'm currently an (ahem) mature student, studying Music Production at University. I can't remember when I first came across Steam Punk as an actual subculture. It was when I was searching for Antique clothing online no doubt. (Something of a lifelong passion of mine)
I'm hugely impressed by maker culture, both the art and ethos, but the science of sound takes up most of my time I'm afraid.
Still, that's good news for a lot of you Ladies and Gents, as I'll doubtlessly be purchasing some of your fine wares sooner or later.
Not having had the Internet myself until recently, I've only had occasion to look at this forum a few times over the last couple of years. But now that I have finally acquired my very own connection yay! It is the first one I have joined. (No really, I am an Internet noob! ha ha)
Anyway, all the best everybody
Tally ho and see you on the boards!
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!