News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (mk. II)

Started by proteus, May 28, 2010, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Ichabod Dachary

I think I'll go for one of these proper introduction thingilies, for those who do not know me.

I am Dachary, real name being Cos Ryan, and legal name being something else entirely. I am twenty-four years of age, though this changes incrementally on a daily basis. I am employed in junior management in a chain coffee shop/patisserie in the pleasant city of Worcester.

I joined this here forum after being told by a friend that I looked like a steampunk. After doing a bit of research, it turned out I was. And so, here I am. :)

valeriawyverstone

Hi everyone,
I'm a 19 year-old student from DC, but I'm living in Florida for the summer. You can call me Val, Valerie, Valeria, or any other deviation thereof.
I was introduced to steampunk by a friend last year, but didn't really get into it until this year. I have been going to cons since high school, though, so I've definitely seen it around and am familiar with the concept.
I joined here because I'm planning to go to a con down here at the end of the summer, and I'm attempting the nigh-impossible (and debatably suicidal) mission of completing 6, if not more steampunk outfits in the next month and a half. I'm designing them, sewing them, making accessories, etc. on my own, with some help from a friend. It's turned out to be very hard work, especially considering that this is my first time doing steampunk for a con, but I'm excited at the prospect. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to getting to know all of you better and making new friends here! :)

Steam Librarian

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.-Charles W. Eliot

Anthony of Hentzau

Hi all,

I am 28 and I live in Barcelona, Spain. I like the steampunk literature and quite often post things in the "Steampunk Spain" forum, your brother in Spain. It is a pleasure for me to introduce in the English-speaking forum. Hope I can bring useful things and ideas and learn more.

Auf wiedersehen!

Ruix

Hello everyone.
Name's Ruix. I'm 16 and living in Southern California.

I've always been one to constantly switch my interest and focus; for as far back as I can remember. There was my interest in history, then calligraphy, some fantasy, invention, explosives, tea, gardens, industrialization so on and so forth. The variations of my interests, which from what I can remember would usually change by the month, seemed to make people think I had ADD. Truth was, I just needed to find something that brought all the things I have ever liked to a head.
I was ecstatic when I found STEAMPUNK. It fit perfectly:)

I'm currently working on the transformation of my room into a victorian lab, so that is keeping me busy. As it is summer, any time I have, not spent working on my room, i spend in a greenhouse where I work - tending to and selling vegetables. I also am sure to find time for writing and researching further STEAMPUNK and victorian subjects.:) It never seems to get old haha
Foxes and toads.

Glasgow Jon

Welcome to all the newcomers.  This is the friendliest and most helpful forum that it has been my pleasure to come across.  Read a few threads and then throw yourself in with a few posts.  We were all noobs at one point, so just relax, pull up a chair and join us in some tea and cake whilst deciding what to read.
Better to be a dead Airship Pyrate than to exist in mediocrity!!

Glasgow Jon.

ImperialFiddlesticks

Oh dear,  I am horrible at writing presentations like this, but I will give it a shot.

My name is Andrea, I'm 20 years old and I live in little ol' Sweden. I have been interested in Steampunk for years,but I have never gotten quite into it. I have had too many other interests that diverted my attention elsewhere. Lately, though, I have become more and more smitten with it and, when finding this forum, I decided that I should become a member and see if I could learn more about the subject.

Uhm... So here I am! ^_Q

I love historical clothing, especially from the 18th and 19th centuries. I do a lot of sewing on my own and I love to design extravagant dresses and make little hats to match. Also, I am very fond of the Japanese streetstyle Lolita and I dress in that sort of clothing daily.

Anyway, I feel a need to stop now. I never did like to go on about myself like this. At any rate, I come bringing tea and homemade cookies for everyone!

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

A bit of this and that:  http://imperial-fiddlesticks.blogspot.com/

Jofthepeace

Okay, here goes.....

I'm not a mad scientist (yet), more like a crazed engineer.  Professionally I'm a mechanical designer, which is a 1/4 step down from mechanical engineer.

Before I continue, I want to give all the members and admin here big props.

1) Ya'll have some great costumes.  I'm very impressed.

2) What impresses me most about this board is the way ya'll get along.  I lurked for a few days, looking at various topics, before introducing myself.  I've never seen a board where everyone gets along soo darn well.  I actually couldn't find a big disagreement on here that resulted in calling of names, hurt feelings, and all the other B.S. you put up with on other groups.   It's amazing, or the admin is great at babysitting and hiding the bad stuff....

Looking forward to join in chatting with this great group of people!

Back to where I was...

I've been interested in this for a long while now.  Influences that turned me onto S.P.?  Biggest one was probably Stumbleupon showing me cooler and cooler SP Things.....Datamancer's website and the steampunk worshop website are probably my favorite two to go to.  Until I found this board ofcourse ;)

Anime: Steamboy, Big O, Howl's Moving Castle, Fullmetal Alchemist....probably a few others I'm forgetting..

Movie/TV: Doctor Who (Gotta love the alternate earth where there's zeppelins EVERYWHERE!), Brotherhood of the Wolf, Wild Wild West

Online Comic: Girl Genius of course!!!  I'm a big fan of Webcomics, and this has to be the best drawn one I've seen....Also check out FreakAngels.....

I'm already heavily active in a medieval recreation group.  Through it I have learned to do calligraphy and illumination (using only period pigments, and have the knowledge to cut my own quills from feathers).

Also picked up pewter casting (currently carving my own molds from soapstone, but can also do imprints for re-productions) which is fun stuff.  For that I use lead free Britannia currently (safer than having lead fumes...though if I get a gas mask........).  Also have a forge with a hand-crank blower...just need to round up some blacksmith tools for metal forging.....and would love to play with casting bronze, brass, aluminum, and silver.  I also dabble with leather work, like  hand stitched my own leather vest....it's been almost done for 4 years now....should probably dig that out and finish it.

By and by, my handle is a play on my mundane first name.....till I chose a s.p. name....

About all I can think of...ask if I forgot to mention anything..

Ohh...like I'm a Male in NW Indiana

Thank you all for your time :)

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: IT GOES ON" - Robert Frost

James Ferribank

Hello all. I'm James, not my legal name, but it's what I go by. Been lurking here for a little while and figured I might as well introduce myself. I'm twenty-two, currently an ex-student and starving artist. I've been steampunking for... about two years, I think. Though before that I was doing it without knowing what it was called. I'm a huge Victorian fanatic, drink way too much tea, and am more of a seamster than a mechanic, make my own waistcoats and cravats and whatnot.
And it's a pleasure to meet you, all truly. You seem like a fantastic and very creative group of people.

Miss Plauge Rat

Hello all, my name is Kasey. I've lurked around the site for ages, and have now decided to throw my hat into the ring.

That's pretty much it..

Feel free to drop me a line.  :D
"That so few now dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of our time." – John Stuart Mill

Steam-Vixen

Hello, me lads and lasses; if you lot don't mind, I'd rather not discuss my real self because A) you never know who's reading your bloody account info, and B) when on the internet, I prefer to escape the self and adopt certain personae; what I can tell you is that I'm not a member of the Steampunk culture (that is, I don't build stuff and wear steampunk clothes), but I am a fan and have been for several years.  Anyhow, let me tell you about my persona...

Me name's Chloe Trigg, and I'm the best damn pilot in all of New Terra.  Outta the 120-somethin' target's I've battled, only 'bout three got away from me, but that's not counting "unassigned" targets.  I'm 19 years old, 5'9", and if you so much as wonder about me weight I'll strap you on one of me missiles and fire ya into the side of a bloody cliff!  As for me race, I be a Fenirer, also known as beast-folk; to be precise, I'm a Silver Fennec Fox, that is I'm a cross between a Silver Fox and a Fennec Fox.  Me parents are Roger Marx (the captain of HRM Sky Knights unit "Fiery Falcons") and Lucilia McGregen(a professional Medalchemist (an alchemist who specializes in medicine)).  As for me, I be the captain of the all-girl mercenary team, the Sonic Harpies.

I'm usually the quiet type, but get me started on a topic I like and I can talk the ears off a bloody corn stalk.  I have a thing for clockwork devices, especially automatons.  I also have an active interest in the Scorched Earth (the term for the old world, the one before the Cataclysm), and any artifacts from it.  I'm a pretty tolerant lass, but I don't have much patience for twits, and I have absolutely no patience for criminals, bigots, and self-centered wankers.

If anyone wants to know more 'bout me, just ask; don't be afraid, I only bite mutants, bandits, pirates, and Imperials.
Watch yourself when your goal's within reach, for that's when the floor usually crumbles beneath you.

darkshines

*wvaes to all the lovely new people* :D
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

mécanisme

I should have really started here, eh?

I was on this forum a few years ago, under the name Von Effenger.  I left, and now am back with a new name.
I live in Philadelphia with a handsome gentleman, overflowing bookcases, cheap scotch and expensive beer.  If anyone actually does live in the above mentioned city, I do love meeting new people, so feel free to message me, etc.
To the wind we go

Dante626

Hullo there!

My real name Jordan. I'm 21 years of age and live in Washington state, of the USA. I used to be a university student until I realized I wanted to open a bakery. So now I'm just taking some time off for myself before diving into that endeavour.

I'm interested in all manner of topics and things, from video games and (obviously Steampunk) to academia such as science, philosophy, and religion. I unfortunately so far lack any real skills in terms of sewing, leatherworking, etc. though. There's always room for improvement, right? =P
Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
Kurt Vonnegut

Alexander²

Hey, I'm Alex; Amateur photographer, bassist, and among other things, strangest person in the city. I'm from the fine city of Duluth, MN in the USA and my current project is assembling a Steampunkish outfit.

I love RPGs (like D&D, Nightbane, etc.) and music (such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath).

I think I'm the only 14-year old in the state of MN to like music made before 1990.
:: The Time-Jumping Teenager ::

Lenora

Good Evening, Steam Companions,

My name is Lenora, and I reside in the fair lands of the Far North, New Zealand. I am new to this exciting world of Steampunk,  but being a long time admirer of many things Historical, combined with an enduring love of adventure, it comes as no surprise that I am drawn to this genre with growing enthusiasm.

I look forward to further advancing my fledgling knowledge and creating a new world perspective in both writing and costuming.

It's going to be a fun ride....Huzzah!!

Cheerio for now........ ;D

"an adventure starts with the first footstep upon the road" - anon

Das M

I believe introductions are in order. Male, Holland, 27 and for now I'll go by M or Das M whichever you prefer.

Now that we have those formalities behind us, onto the fun part.

As opposed to everyone else, I'll start of with stuff I don't like about steampunk... but it's just a matter of taste so please, do not take it personal. I'm not to big on victorian clothing and the (at least to me) heroic stance that steampunk portrays. Sure, it's all fun and games... but I'm missing out on awesome steampunk supervillains. Those need some lovin too :( I'm always curious as if there's a underground side in the steampunk universe.

So, onto the things that make me sparkle. Gadgets, victorian age technology, thoughts on reverse engineering modern day equipment back to victorian tech, mad scientists.

I should mention that I do like diesel- and atompunk as well, but those are... in a way to gritty and I just expect a huge post-apocalyptic wasteland with those. But the makeshift methods are usually a blast to think about.

Currently I have a lot ideas regarding accesoires/outfits, some might think they're wacky, but I believe they fit right in. Tophats with small portholes on it and lighting in the hat. Yeah... sounds a bit mad hatter-ish... I'm certainly no hatter, but I won't elaborate on mad. I'm mostly on the drawing board cause I lack the room and to a certain extent finances to start sewing some stuff. Not to forget skill as I should even learn that one way or the other. But I'm a firm believer that if you like something enough, just throw in some cash to get started out and work it out... worked for me in the past.

That being said, I'm in the process of research on steampunk music... nothing big, just some personal stuff. I've read an interview with Datamancer the other day where he amongst others stated that steampunk as a "subculture" will not really take of because it lacks certain things... music being one. Now me having some musical background with some local bands, and some gear to back it up, I'll hopefully get something relevant going on sometime. I'm just not really sure where to take it. I'm building a theremin if that's anything for starters...

I think I'll leave it at this and hopefully bring some inspiring thoughts to this forum

rosalynwinters

I suppose this is where I should start?

I'm fairly shy, and I know it's a problem. I have a few self esteem issues, but then who doesn't; but I bet mine are worse.
However I am quite fond of shinies! I have a small and growing collection of jewelry that is really just fun to look at and sort through, as I really don't wear much, and never go anywhere to show it off.

What else am I supposed to say here? Oh, I am a painter, sort of. I'd like to maybe sell paintings someday. I've already got the poor and reclusive part down,  ;) .

Why am I here? Well I know somebody who is here, and he says this is a good place to meet nice friendly people, without a lot kids who enjoy posting nasty or crude replies for no reason. There is also apparently a bit of creative play with shiny things, mad scientists, costumes and literature. Anyplace that has grownups playing dress up, making contraptions, and being kooky is a place worth checking out.

Esme Moore

Hello, newcomers, nice to meet you all!  Don't feel you have to give your real name, m'dears, nor be in any way defensive about not doing so.   Grab a drink of choice, take a pew, and join in the conversation here, as and when you're so minded!

@Das M - I'm unlikely to ever wear a bustle or crinolines, nor seriously waist-reducing corsets - but the thing with Steampunk is that it isn't about Victorian re-enactment, it's using Victorian times as a starting point, then adding a huge dollop of imagination and whimsy to taste.  Also, regarding music, I don't know the interview you speak of, but I suspect it may be quite old, as there is a huge amount of Steampunk music around - try the Gilded Age Records website, also Sepiachord, and  the Clockwork Cabaret radio show/podcast.  That said - the more the merrier!   Good luck with the theremin - I'd love to have a play with one of those!

@rosalynwinters Welcome! Regarding self-esteem - borrow a time machine, and go visit me ooh, 20-30 years ago.  You might find your bet isn't such a safe one as you think!

helios

Welcome to all you new-fangled new peoples! May your time here be filled with delight, whimsy, and wonder!
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Jubal

Hullo there my fine ladies and gentlemen. My name (such as the international computing web is concerned) is Jubal Barca, megas doux Exilianis, and your humble servant. I must profess to be a mad polymath; writer, designer, and general nutcase essentially. In real life I'm not so much at the costume and construction end of things as the writing and fluff-creation end of things, partly because a hippopotamus with poorly constructed pneumatic replacement legs has greater dexterity than I, alas.

Good day to you all!

Happy Chappy

Hello there ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Sam and I'm from the UK. I recently found out about Steampunk, and stumbled upon this community. I enjoy video games, books, films (particularly Westerns) and I recently decided to try my hand at cobbling together some steampunk stuff of my own.

And with that, I hope I can contribute to the forum in the future.

William Ichabod Dachary

Greetings new folks! Enjoy your stay.

SteamMonk

G'mornin ladies and gentlefolk, decided I may as well make an account after lurking about for a few months. Currently residing in Nova Scotia, Canada, I'm a student of philosophy and all things whimsical. Been tinkering since an early age and having come upon the steampunk community my to-do list has been far too full. Currently making a tome or two for my study, pickling the appendage of a xenos specimen that I met in my travels, and also perfecting my techniques at creating ocular inspection devices. Not one for introductions or electronic communications in general, so I'll leave this short and say goodbye for now.

cotez

morning to all =]

I'm Adam, 21 years old. and I'm an alcoholic......

on a side note I'm an archaeology student at Bradford, but born and bred Lincolnshire (Spoggy in'it). I have been interested in the various aspects of the steampunk culture for a fair few years. But have only just decided to delve into the more practical sides of it. I have tried sketching up some ideas for an outfit but unfortunately my drawing skills suck more than a anteater and an ant colony.

Its a pleasure to meet you all and i hope we will all be good friends :D (willing to buy peoples affection with baked treats). Suppose i should mention some other things about myself, I'm incredibly open minded, easy to get on with, laid back, and a bit of a raggamuffin, but don't let that stop you from giving me free pity and sympathy :3.

My interests include archaeology, fencing, knitting, hiking, video games, role playing games, general tom foolery and cooking =]

Cant wait to get to know you all =]. ow if you will excuse me there is a bottle of gin with my name on it.

ta ta