News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

International Visitors to The Asylum

Started by TimeTinker, July 06, 2010, 07:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Willoughby Chase

Which, of course, all sounds very complicated, but I am always happy to answer any questions anyone has to fathom out out rail network ;)

greensteam

Quote from: Major Willoughby Chase on August 04, 2011, 08:35:21 PM
Which, of course, all sounds very complicated, but I am always happy to answer any questions anyone has to fathom out out rail network ;)
A small addendum to Major WC's expert dissertation: you cannot usually reserve seats on 'local' trains. This is very confusing since some of these services run longer routes than some of the intercity routes on which you can reserve seats. So Helensburgh to Edinburgh is considered to be a 'local' service - no seat reservations - but takes as long as Glasgow to Carlisle on which you can get reservations as it is considered long distance!
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Fat Spider

A quick note for anyone visiting York by car.

If you intend to visit both the Minster and the Railway Museum your best bet is to visit the Museum first, parking is more convenient and there is a road train which runs from there to the Minster and back.

Don't Worry, Be Happy.

citizen_erased

Quote from: TimeTinker on June 13, 2011, 06:32:19 PM
Current plan is:

Daniel and partner to travel to York from Lincoln on Monday 12th by train or coach. (The Memsahib and I have to break down The Asylum on this day and would overnight at home.)

First thing on Tuesday morning we will scoot up to York to act as local guides.  We would then overnight in York. (Second night for advance party)

Wednesday morning we would drive up to Edinburgh from York.  We are contemplating a stop over at Alnwick en route for lunch and a possible visit to the Castle. 

We would then have two nights in Edinburgh. 

Travelodge have a sale on at the moment.  Whilst some travelodges  leave a little to be desired the York Central and Edinburgh Central ones are fine and perfectly located.  Two nights in York would cost just £65 and two in Edinburgh £79.  Very reasonable indeed.

The itinerary is public here to see if anyone else wants to join us.  Could be a nice way to round off The Asylum.

If everything goes according to my (currently very very basic) plan, I`ll be in Edinburgh around the same, too, as I`m planning on going to Edinburgh from Lincoln. Staying there for roughly a week.
Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com

Quin

Reviving this thread as I don't see anything more recent (other than the specific event threads for each year).

I've been wanting to visit the Asylum for a few years and finally got vacation time off for the appropriate weekend this year.  Fingers crossed, I'll be coming from Canada with two weeks to enjoy.  As well as the event, I'd love to check out book stores, antique shops, natural/science history museums, and stuff of that nature.  I haven't started doing any research on travelling there so I don't have any specific questions yet; I just wanted to post something as I know that the early bird tickets go on sale in February. 

Excited!